Code of Conduct
    Sanzio

Default Civet tincture has just arrived from Profumo.it

Hi! As I promised you before, I would tell you know how civet smells like... Well, It is a pungent and TOTALLY, strongly FECAL smell. Human and Cat FECES mixed with some sweet honey and bitter cocoa butter But it does not nauseate me at all as some wonderful fragrances do. This is the first impression... after some time, it smells like a very concentrated strong smelling white flower bouquet, I do not know, maybe jasmine,orange blossom and heavy honey combined. A little of Lilly-of-the-valley also... I do not dare to wear this stuff alone. Maybe combined with something else? ... Joy by Jean Patou, EDP and PARFUM concentrations have the same strong civet note in the drydown the same way I can smell from my bottle... Joy is the only one I can really smell strong civet notes this way...

Default Re: Civet tincture has just arrived from Profumo.i

Is it real, natural Civet or syntetic?

Seems fascinating but I can understand you don't dare to wear this in public

Quote Originally Posted by Sanzio
    This is the first impression... after some time, it smells like a very concentrated strong smelling white flower bouquet, I do not know, maybe jasmine,orange blossom and heavy honey combined. A little of Lilly-of-the-valley also...

Sanzio,

What you're smelling here is indole, a common ingredient found in feces and in white flowers. Fascinating, isn't it.

Regards,

scentemental

Sanzio

It is natural civet! You can see it at www.profumo.it! They carries only natural fragrances! Firstly it is very fecal and here the weather is very HOT! Maybe if combined with other oriental or chypre scents... :

Sanzio

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    [quote author=Sanzio link=1132845092/0#0 date=1132845092]This is the first impression... after some time, it smells like a very concentrated strong smelling white flower bouquet, I do not know, maybe jasmine,orange blossom and heavy honey combined. A little of Lilly-of-the-valley also...

Sanzio,

What you're smelling here is indole, a common ingredient found in feces and in white flowers. Fascinating, isn't it.

Regards,

scentemental

[/quote]

Well, the very fecal smell lasts some minutes as normal top notes. But the flowery smell appears as a strong white flower bouquet as they were the Heart of the scent but still quite fecal like Joy basenotes!!!

Sanzio,

In certain diluted concentrations, as found in white flowers, the indole actually has a "floral bouquet note to it". It's actually part of the floral bouquet note in white flowers, and that's why it's used in white-floral predominant perfumes; it gives an added dimension, body, and extension to the floral notes. It literally fixes the floral notes. After all, civet is one of the great fixatives.

That's what's fascinating about the connection between indole in feces and indole in white flowers. They both basically produce, underpin, and compliment the floral component we smell. This also helps to explain the ambivalence we feel between the "shit" component and the "floral" qualities of indole. It creates an ambivalence which, to some, is part of the tension and hence the attraction of the note. Do I like it? Yes I do. Do I like it? No I don't, but then, again, yes I do, and before you know it you've been smelling this for a long time while you make up your mind and you finally decided that you like, but then, again, maybe you don't, and on it goes. This tension keeps one interested in the fragrance. That's how I explain the attraction of what is, after all, a "shit" note.

scentemental

I keep a bottle of indole on my desk. I enjoy the faint smell of indole as it diffuses through the bakelite cap.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I've tried frags with civet, but they just don't work on me. I want to like Givenchy Gentleman, but the civet and patchouli combo just kicks my tail every time.

Congratulation, Sanzio!

As I read in the WEB, indole is also produced in a giraffe skin - so giraffe should smells like both fecal and flowers!!!

As for civet combination with perfumes - try Jicky or Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain (also with civet).
    I did try that mixing - and tincture lives for only an hour, but EDT and PDT lives all day long!

I`d like to have pure indole! Looking for perfumer kit...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Default Re: Civet tincture has just arrived from Profumo.it

Quote Originally Posted by Sanzio
    Hi! As I promised you before, I would tell you know how civet smells like... Well, It is a pungent and TOTALLY, strongly FECAL smell. Human and Cat FECES mixed with some sweet honey and bitter cocoa butter But it does not nauseate me at all as some wonderful fragrances do. This is the first impression... after some time, it smells like a very concentrated strong smelling white flower bouquet, I do not know, maybe jasmine,orange blossom and heavy honey combined. A little of Lilly-of-the-valley also... I do not dare to wear this stuff alone. Maybe combined with something else? ... Joy by Jean Patou, EDP and PARFUM concentrations have the same strong civet note in the drydown the same way I can smell from my bottle... Joy is the only one I can really smell strong civet notes this way...
    Sanzio you have a very good nose and you smell scents with your heart.
    It is very difficult to understand civet but you did it.
    The next step is to wear it pure but you can do that if you are a man.
    A woman should mix it with flowers, particularly Tuberose and Jasmine.
    I wear Civet when I have to go to the police station. This predator smell instills instinctive respect in the others,
    I wear Civet when I want to feel like a lion and I wear it raw, the plain paste from Ethyopy, just under my chin.
    I am delighted to see that you have a perfumer's nose because I have just read the comments on the forum about Profumo.it Ambergris, and they missed it all, smelling rubber and earth, missing the marine salty notes, the sweet motherly milky ones and even the strong fecal one. I had been thinking that their nose had been burned by the sinthetics of commercial perfumes, but your descripion of Civet shows me that it is only lack of olfactory education, not burnt nose.
    Most of the perfume fans probably never smelled a 100% natural scent or perfume to wear.
    Ciao
    A. S. Attar
    Last edited by Profumo; 27th June 2006 at 01:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Actually the majority of the smell of civet is from a chemical known appropriately as skatole. It is indole with an added methyl group... also called methyl indole. It is more fecal than indole. Indole is found in high degree in jasmine and orange blossom absolute. Notice that real, natural civet also has a cheesy smell, somewhat like Limburger cheese... or a bad bellybutton...lol. Most civet used nowadays is made synthetically with skatole and other compounds. It saves cats from the painful scraping it takes to get the stuff. Civet also contains a very pleasant smelling musk compound called civettone.

Mike Storer, Los Angeles

Default Re: Civet tincture has just arrived from Profumo.it

I always heard civet was fecal smelling but one cannot deny that jicky is great!

Quote Originally Posted by mastorer
    Actually Notice that real, natural civet also has a cheesy smell, somewhat like Limburger cheese... Civet also contains a very pleasant smelling musk compound called civettone.

Mike Storer, Los Angeles

The cheesy odour is a very strong head smell in the raw civet. It is not present in the absolute and weekens also in the tincture. It is present only in good quality paste. Many dealers already dilute the raw civet in Ethyopia with fat and other pastes, but when you have a good sample of the right quality it is very easy to see the difference on paper strips. The lasting smell, the one that make the very few living civet lovers go in extasy, is indeed civettone.
    If any one wants to understand Civet, smell it on a paper strip 3 days after.

A. S. Attar