Code of Conduct

Default Basenotes Remembers... the 212 for men ban!

Did you know back only two years ago, Mr. Jeffery Primeau talked endlessly of his devotion to Carolina Herrera's 212 for men, that there was an actual 72 hour ban on discussing the scent in the forum? *

Basenotes remembers....

Grant:

> I propose a 72 hour 212Men ban! Any takers?

72 hour 212Men ban? Sure thing.

You're ON!

HOWEVER...

212 *WOMEN* is an amazing scent! I just love... ... ...

hahahahahhaha

.::Jeffery

The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Default Re: Basenotes Remembers... the 212 for men ban!

Yeah. I remember him going on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on......about it!! LOL

It is decent scent, but i didn't think it was THAT great.
    Oh well,different strokes.....

But i confess,it did get VERY OLD after the 900th post...

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

The fact that he was the first to write a review for it only reflects his enthusiasm for the scent. He also describes it as being one of the greatest scents ever. I have to respect him though. He's a fine example of consumer loyalty.

I'm probably the same way with Geir. I've only owned Geir for 3 months now but I've received so many PMs about the scent, you would think I was an expert on it. Have I really touted it that much? :

Teflondog, Jeffery and his 212 identity were truly a special case. Unlike your Geir or anyone we know's love of any scent.

Oh man, those were days of torture! Torture I tell you. Oh the pain. I like to try to see humor in such absurdity, but in this example I could not even though the high-chuckle factor was holy smokes, off the meter.

As bad as that period was, and as bad as I think 212 is, and as irritated as the Carolina Herrera cartoon show made me, I fear knocking a person who's got a hard road in life.

But I remember that at the start of the ban he posted about Carolina Herrera's daughter's wedding and didn't we all agree that the pictures of it were fantastic instead, since 212 mention was banned. Oh so clever. Clever enough to bring murder out of me.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Unfortunately, I wasn't here during the 212 Men ban, but I had to check his review to see what you guys were talking about. Hilarious! If you couldn't tell this guy was obsessed with the fragrance, I don't know what to tell you. I'll quote:

"Carolina Herrera hit the nail on the head with this fragrance! This fragrance is the world's most intriguing area code (212 - New York City)... BOTTLED!
    ABSOLUTELY arousing in *EVERY SENSE OF THE WORD* this fragrance is just hair-rasing! From the moment you feel the MINIMALISTIC designed bottle with mysterious magnetic cap, to spraying the fragrance you will fall in love with it. The mister/sprayer is even TOP NOTCH. It sprays a fine mist, rather than "droplets." It's amost as if mists the fragrance more lightly. A light hue of white mist appears and GENTLY falls onto the skin. Within seconds 212 -simply- goes to work. ALL DAY LONG.
    The scent itself captures mood, expression, style and PASSION. ANY discriminating individual of style will without a doubt incorporate Ms. Herrera's 212 Men into their daily routine. 212 Men... a very INTENSE experience... BOTTLED! Thank you Carolina Herrera! "

- Jeffery Primeau
    It would be fun to see him around here again, he obviously had a very energetic presence.

Actually, I think 212 has now become a totally underrated scent here at Basenotes, and I think it's time it got the credit it deserved.
    I think it's the king of subtlety.
    Renato

I remember somebody got him to try something else, something they described as on par with 212. If I recall correctly, it was either Lolita, or Lanvin Oxygen. The suspense on the board for a few days was hilarious (at least to me). It was like watching The Truman Show, to see if Jim Carrey would ever realize he's trapped in his own little world (in this case, zip code) and venture out to experience the real world as the rest of us know it. The funny thing wasn't that he ended up disliking the suggested fragrance, but the fact that somebody talked him into it and he actually went out on a limb to try it.

I think very highly of all Carolina Herrera's classic creations.
    Sadly, once her daughter (the Jr.) became involved in running the company, all their new male fragrances started to head south (212 Men, etc.).

I still think that her best classics are:

* **- Herrera For Men
    * *- Herrera For Men Sensual Vetiver
    * *- Herrera For Men Refreshing Ginger
    * *- Herrera For Men concentree (new release -- but based completely on the old one)

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark
    I remember somebody got him to try something else, something they described as on par with 212. *If I recall correctly, *it was either Lolita, or Lanvin Oxygen. *The suspense on the board for a few days was hilarious (at least to me). *It was like watching The Truman Show, to see if Jim Carrey would ever realize he's trapped in his own little world (in this case, zip code) and venture out to experience the real world as the rest of us know it. *The funny thing wasn't that he ended up disliking the suggested fragrance, but the fact that somebody talked him into it and he actually went out on a limb to try it. *
    LOL! That person was me. Those were the funny days at the Yahoo board. For some strange reason after Grant moved the board here to basenotes.net, Jeffrey's post diminished and finally he disappeared completely. I missed his posts, regardless of how absurd some of his Herrera's worshipping rituals are! (I remember he has a 212 lamp!) Did he came and rave about Chic for men when it was launched last year?? Jeffrey actually got me into a 212 fever for a while, I bought the whole range of 212 body products - got quite a few compliments on this scent, and I still use it once in a while. It was 2 years ago, after a heavy work-out in bed, this beautiful women asked me "What is that sexy smell on you?" I said "212", she has a puzzled look on her face and blinked her eyes. I thought "nevermind!" and since then when people enquired about 212, I told them its my secret scent! ;D

I don't know ... I'm probably in the minority, but I really can't stand any of the 212 line ...

I wasn't around when this story happened but I'm glad you brought it up again. It made me glad reading about it. Passion is beautiful, even though it sometimes take on absurd proportions.

LOL its both funny and a little scary we're talking about something that was almost 4 years ago :P I think in the case of the yahoo board and the 212 worshiping, it was much much more than just the scent! While 212 is very mediocre at best, as I recall, Premeau's real fantasies were in the ad campaigns, packaging, and vivid dreams of being some kind of Mr. 212 Herrera creative director dude in New York. 8-)

Hehehe, I remember reading that review when I joined here. The reason I remember especially this one is because back then I didn't care very much about fragrance and I remember thinking "Wow, this guy is completely nuts!". I guess I wasn't wrong.

I agree that 212 is nice and I remember it as a fresh fragrance - without being one of the 5325687 citruses. But it's really not THAT interesting - all I seemed to get was "freshly cut grass with green apples on it". It's still good for what it is though.

My first fragance with Armani pour homme . i remeber saturday nights in Pacha Ibiza *with a TERRIBLE COMBO: CAROLINA 212 FRAGANCE,SHOWER GEL 212 AND DEODORANT 212 . *;D.
    always in my soul
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

I do believe he went as far as creating a website devoted to her. Then he got an e-mail from their lawyers or something, and had to take it down. As much as he loved Caroline Herrera, she apparently didn't love him as much back!

I couldn't find the picture of the lamp, but here's the story of it:

Hello everyone,

Back in the winter of 2000 when I was in New York City for New
    Year's, there was a snow storm there. Just down the airports and
    everything.

I was at a hotel on 7th Avenue with a perfect view of the Essex
    House sign towering into the sky from my room. That very same day, I
    went down to Sephora on Broadway, and stocked up on another bottle
    of 212.

While in there, I saw a 212 display. And my eyes quickly focused in
    on what I thought was a round (cylindar) frosted glass container
    with 212 Carolina Herrera New York etched into it!

Of course I had to go investigate.

I went over there and looked at it, and realized it was just a very
    heavy, hevy plastic and the cap even had 212 embossed at the top.

Imagine the shape 212 for men bottle but not as tall, and much
    fatter. Almost like a perfectly round bucket with a lid.

I fell in love with it, and asked the sales person if they have more
    in the back. She came back and said, "No, that's the only one."

When I was checking out my 212 bottle at the counter, I said, "Any
    chance I could buy that container from you?"

She laughed, and said, "You want to buy it?"

I said, "Yes, I want to buy it!"

She went into the back again, and came out, and this guy said, "What
    container do you want to buy?" And he had this perplexed look on his
    face.

I said, "That one!"

He went over and picked it up and said... "Here, compilments of
    Sephora."

HAHAHAHA!

Well, last night I was going through some things I had stored away
    and I came across it. I have a Japanese style lamp, which I had
    turned on, and was putting some of the stuff I was going through
    next to it on the table, and the 212 container was one of them.
    Because it has a "frosted glass" look to it, the light from the
    Japanese style lamp just "glowed" through the container and lit up
    the "212."

I thought... "WHAT A NEAT EFFECT!!!" 212 On Light!

Because of my infatuation with the fragrance, I decided to turn it
    into a decorative lamp for my desk at home in my bedroom.

Took a Dremel Motor Tool, 3/4" drill bit, and drilled a hole into
    the back of it so I could put one of those "night light" cords into
    it with the prong that holds it into place. Like those plastic
    outdoor Holiday decorations.

I brought it into work today to take a digital photo, and I've
    uploaded them to the photos section.

Truly turned out wonderful I think!!!! And it's ONE OF A KIND...
    UNIQUE!

Be a perfect "GIFT WITH PURCHASE!" 8-)

Martha Stewart would be proud, proud! :P

I remember somebody got him to try something else, something they described as on par with 212. *If I recall correctly, *it was either Lolita, or Lanvin Oxygen. *The suspense on the board for a few days was hilarious (at least to me). *It was like watching The Truman Show, to see if Jim Carrey would ever realize he's trapped in his own little world (in this case, zip code) and venture out to experience the real world as the rest of us know it. *The funny thing wasn't that he ended up disliking the suggested fragrance, but the fact that somebody talked him into it and he actually went out on a limb to try it. *
    There was also the time he was quite taken by the purple colour of Sung Homme, and asked what we thought of the scent. At the time there were two of us who thought it was great - me and Paul - (that number has now swollen to six or seven) and we gave him our thoughts. So he went and bought it.

On the first day he liked it. On the second day something happened. On the third day and thereafter he hated it passionately, describing it as smelling like a sleazy, cheap hotel (or the hotel's carpet).

As a public servant, and therefore an expert in cheap hotels, I was somewhat nonplussed - Sung homme didn't smell like any of the myriad cheap hotels I'd ever stayed in.

I often wondered what caused the turn about.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=The Bark link=1132372640/0#6 date=1132383602]

I often wondered what caused the turn about.
    My guess is he received another cease order from Caroline Herrera!

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    I don't know ... I'm probably in the minority, but I really can't stand any of the 212 line ...
    Um.....I'm with you on this one..... ;D

Peace,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

I do believe he went as far as creating a website devoted to her. *Then he got an e-mail from their lawyers or something, and had to take it down. *As much as he loved Caroline Herrera, she apparently didn't love him as much back!

Now if that's not obsession, then I don't know what is!
    [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Bark you making split a gut on these classic postings....

I do give Jeffery credit for his devotion to a scent. But I do wonder sometimes that if that fragrance would have not been called 212 or any way connected to NYC would he still have loved it so much?

I do believe G is MY 212! LOL

I've just been too busy to post that much.

PS, Im on bottle number 5

Before Jeffery left Basenotes, I remember him loving Michael For Men which was incredibly surprising. I recall he was surprised too because of the heaviness of the scent and the huge dose of patchouli that he thought he didn't like. The banter between Jeffery and Ali was too funny. Last I knew, Jeffery was over at POL still raving about Carolina. He was always equally enamored with the ad copy of a certain scent as well as the scent itself. I reckon that makes sense because I think he makes his living in advertising. The 212 talk did get to be a bit too much.....
    Now Bark, what about Mando? ! : ;D

Quote Originally Posted by evogel
    *Now Bark, what about Mando? ! * : * ;D
    All i will say about Mando is:

GIVE ME A #%@$ING BREAK......!!!!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I wish the posts were still here with the pictures of Mando looking like Freddy Mercury. Who knows, that may be another Basenotes Remembers thread!

As for Jeffery: the purpose of this post, at least for me, is to reflect on some of the past musings posted here or on Yahoo! Although the 212 thing did get tiresome, it was still addictive to read his devotion to the scent. As a result, he became a true personality on these boards. Whether you liked or loathed 212, reading one of Jeffery's 500 word essays on its relation to world affairs, both major and minor, was a weird form of art appreciation in itself.

I couldn't find the picture of the lamp, but here's the story of it:

Hello everyone,

Back in the winter of 2000 when I was in New York City for New
    Year's, there was a snow storm there. Just down the airports and
    everything.

I was at a hotel on 7th Avenue with a perfect view of the Essex
    House sign towering into the sky from my room. That very same day, I
    went down to Sephora on Broadway, and stocked up on another bottle
    of 212.

While in there, I saw a 212 display. And my eyes quickly focused in
    on what I thought was a round (cylindar) frosted glass container
    with 212 Carolina Herrera New York etched into it!

Of course I had to go investigate.

I went over there and looked at it, and realized it was just a very
    heavy, hevy plastic and the cap even had 212 embossed at the top.

Imagine the shape 212 for men bottle but not as tall, and much
    fatter. Almost like a perfectly round bucket with a lid.

I fell in love with it, and asked the sales person if they have more
    in the back. She came back and said, "No, that's the only one."

When I was checking out my 212 bottle at the counter, I said, "Any
    chance I could buy that container from you?"

She laughed, and said, "You want to buy it?"

I said, "Yes, I want to buy it!"

She went into the back again, and came out, and this guy said, "What
    container do you want to buy?" And he had this perplexed look on his
    face.

I said, "That one!"

He went over and picked it up and said... "Here, compilments of
    Sephora."

HAHAHAHA!

Well, last night I was going through some things I had stored away
    and I came across it. I have a Japanese style lamp, which I had
    turned on, and was putting some of the stuff I was going through
    next to it on the table, and the 212 container was one of them.
    Because it has a "frosted glass" look to it, the light from the
    Japanese style lamp just "glowed" through the container and lit up
    the "212."

I thought... "WHAT A NEAT EFFECT!!!" 212 On Light!

Because of my infatuation with the fragrance, I decided to turn it
    into a decorative lamp for my desk at home in my bedroom.

Took a Dremel Motor Tool, 3/4" drill bit, and drilled a hole into
    the back of it so I could put one of those "night light" cords into
    it with the prong that holds it into place. Like those plastic
    outdoor Holiday decorations.

I brought it into work today to take a digital photo, and I've
    uploaded them to the photos section.

Truly turned out wonderful I think!!!! And it's ONE OF A KIND...
    UNIQUE!

Be a perfect "GIFT WITH PURCHASE!" 8-)

Bark,

Nice... Nice find........ ;D

Quote Originally Posted by evogel
    *Before Jeffery left Basenotes, I remember him loving Michael For Men which was incredibly surprising. *I recall he was surprised too because of the heaviness of the scent and the huge dose of patchouli that he thought he didn't like. *The banter between Jeffery and Ali was too funny. * *Last I knew, Jeffery was over at POL still raving about Carolina. * He was always equally enamored with the ad copy of a certain scent as well as the scent itself. * I reckon that makes sense because I think he makes his living in advertising. * The 212 talk did get to be a bit too much.....
    *Now Bark, what about Mando? ! * : * ;D
    LOL! No its not Michael, its YSL's M7. I browsed through the old archive at Yahoo! ,(what a trip down memory lane!) JP describe Michael for Men smelling like toilette cleaning liquid. Al is the advocator for Michael.

Where are all these personalities now??

I am sorry to bump this from the past - but I could not help but have a much needed chuckle - thanks Bark!

May I add to the 212 Hysteria -

One can not forget the 212 trauma which Jeffrey suffered from the hands of Carolina Herrera on November 27, 2006, at approximately 2:30 eastern standard time !

You need to read the Perfume of Life link in the tread linked below - LOL

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190088

Yeah, I still don't get such a negative reaction some people have to 212 Sexy Men. I think it's a pretty good scent. Sure, it has its DNA firmly in Le Male territory, but it's not a clone. I get more compliments at work when I where this scent--one of my employees goes absolutely gaga. But it is nice to see Jeffrey come back down to earth (somewhat) over Ms. Herrera.
    Last edited by The Bark; 9th March 2009 at 01:31 PM.

Wow. We don't get threads/posters quite like that anymore, do we?

PS I'm wearing 212 on ice right now

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Wow. We don't get threads/posters quite like that anymore, do we?

We did, he got banned/left last month

No no, honestly, I read this thread back when I registered. Wow, quite a character. I really wish I registered back in the day, I would have learned so much more so much earlier. I don't even think I knew there was a "forum" 7 years ago when I first found this site. Still, I cannot STAND 212 Men !!

Morning Star

212 Men Splash 2008 is the only fragrance by Carolina Herrera that I like ... but I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    I wish the posts were still here with the pictures of Mando looking like Freddy Mercury. Who knows, that may be another Basenotes Remembers thread!
    You do know that Mando is a perfumer now with his own created line of niche fragrances???

LOL. This "Jeffrey" guy is really funny. A real character. His love for 212 is very dramatic and it does not seem faked either. Classic link where he talks about CH 212 Sexy. LOL. Also his story about the lamp really made me laugh out loud.

Anyone know what happend to him?
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 11th March 2009 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    We did, he got banned/left last month

I like characters. They keep life interesting, especially when forums can get dull sometimes, and it's too cold to go outside during the winter.

It was great remembering all the 212/Jeffery stuff. I think I was still lurking right before he packed up his marbles and went home. Funny stuff though. I know I bought my bottle of 212 Men strictly because of Jeffery's constant endorsement of it. I remember all the Herrera drama. It was highly entertaining.

I wore 212 men today - and there's little to dispute with what Jeffrey said back then.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 11th March 2009 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    You do know that Mando is a perfumer now with his own created line of niche fragrances???
    Yeah, I had read that somewhere not too long ago. I personally never had anything against Mando--we exchanged a few e-mails because he was moving to Las Vegas and asked some questions, but it was his response to a post of mine over at POL that sent me off. He said I was a "scent elitist" or something of the sort because all I commented on niche more than designer. All I remember was PaulG saying my response was classic. Wish I could remember what it was...

Jeffrey posts regularlly on POL..Go check him out, I'm sure he would like that.