Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sanzio

Default Men who just like feminine scents

Hi! I am a man... ;D Ok I am a gay man but as much as I have tried them I do not like fragrances meant for men... Well, I like the way men smell but though there are many fragrances which are reminescent of it (in a good way off course) I do not go for them. I always choose a female scent. They are richer and blended better IMO. I am not trying to attract any man with them... but I wonder if there are straight men who just enjoy feminine scents because they think they are better than masculine ones...
    My favorite scents are:
    Jicky, Magie Noire, Joop! Femme, Roma...

Default Re: Men who just like feminine scents

I love threads like this I am a straight (but not narrow minded) guy who LOVES and WEARS a lot of womens scents. You are correct. They are blended much better than mens and are much more refined. Most of the mens colognes that are in department stores have a terrible rubbing alcoholish smell to them i cant stand. They just smell cheap and colognish. Dont get me wrong, there are mens scents that i love too. Like the new Dior Homme, Insense', and Marc Jacobs for men. But there isnt much variety in the mens market so i have moved onto the womens market. Another reason i wear womens scents is because i like flowerey/floral scents and mens are very rarely floral. Except the aforementioned Insense' which is my all time favorite mens scent. There are horrid womens scents too that, like mens scents reek of cologne, smelll like cheap perfume. Some womens scents dont smell like anything except strong perfume. I stear clear of those. Examples of the womens scents i wear are Promesse, (awesome fruity/floral) Flowerbomb, Miss Dior(which i'm wearing today) Aeromatics Elixir (identical of Aramis 900) Agent Provocateur, Floris of London's Bouquet de la Reine, Michael Kors Island, Black Cashmere, Kingdom and others. In a nutshell.....i wear the scents i like with no regard to whether they are marketed to women or not.
    Awesomeguy

I wore Pure Poison one time because my best friend (who's a girl) dared me----she later told me that it smelled better on me than it did on her. I would wear it again if the chance came up.

i generally like women's scents better in this way: if i walked into a room, i would rather smell a typical women's perfume than a typical man's cologne.

however, it's quite different for me once actual people are involved. i generally do not like to smell very flowery or fruity scents on other guys. and although i love creed's spring flower, i would never wear it myself. then again, i do not like to smell much of anything on other guys to be honest. if i had my way, all men except me would smell neutral. haha.

for women, i believe it is a bit easier for them to pull off wearing a guy's cologne, just like they can pull off wearing men's clothes better than men can pull off wearing women's clothes. in my view though, a woman would have to be very feminine to be able to wear a strong men's cologne well -- for "balance", and because the contrast can be appealing.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I'm getting kind of tried of all the men's and unisex fragrances out there, and I'm now finding myself looking into women's perfume. I've just started looking into them and I just love Amor Amor and Hanae Mori EDT.

If you guys/girls can recommend any other good ones to look at, that would be very nice. ;D

I wear a lot of women's scents too. Lets face it, back in 19th century and earlier, there wasn't such a thing as men's or women's. People wore whayever they wanted basically. I say, if it smells good, wear it. I have worn Mitsouko to work as well as Tabac Blond and colleagues and students have asled me what the great 'aftershave' is that I am wearing...LOL.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I find many of the perfumes marketed to women to be quite good, but I don't think they are nicer and better made than the masculine frags. Perfume has no sex.

Wear whatever you know smells good on you for whatever reason you want it on you.

I have yet to find a good rose scent that is masculine, although Costes is pretty damn close but after awhile it burns my eyes when I wear it from the cinnamon I guess...too bad.
    I have to admit women get better varieties and more options with their frags, but I'm sure they are pretty sick of floral scents just as much as guys are pretty sick of musk scents. I have to admit when I started searching around here I found lots of different stuff that I never knew existed. When I took a whiff of Chergui I instantly loved it and bought a bottle. Afterwards I found out women wear it too :-? Oh well, not gonna stop me from wearing it especially after the price I paid

On topic, I love feminine scents but not on me. If you think about it guys are supposed to love feminine scents. I for one have lilac oil for my office smell, but I would never wear it. Why is this? Why do I love the smell of lilacs and roses but would never ever contemplate wearing those scents? Is it because I think women would not be attracted to me if I wore feminine scents? That's not very true because most of the compliments I get are for sweet colognes like Hanae Mori and Geir. Are the girls complimenting the scent by itself or how it smells on me?
    Join me as we go In search of.... :

Some guys I knew were afraid to wear Lagerfeld because they felt it was to powdery/floral for them. I think this was a frag that was a little 'Out-of-the-box' for its day. I use to wear it a lot but it has fallen into frags I like but cannot wear anymore because I overdosed on them................. ;D

Peace,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Blog Entries

Hi Sanzio! I'm a lesbian who likes to wear MEN'S frags, lol! My favorites (this week, lol) are Burberry Brit, Burberry London, Chrome, & Dolce & Gabanna PH. However, if I had to classify ABSOLUTE favorites, they are the unisex Silver Mountain Water, & CKbe.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

A feminine frag can work well on a masculine guy and vice versa. But I guess it's just a way to sell more because people don't have to worry if a fragrance is too masculine or feminine. For normal people it would probably take ages to find the right one if they had to test EVERYTHING out there, both the feminine and the masculine ones. It's already much of a hazzle to find something you really like so I guess it's just a way for normal people to narrow it down.

However, the main reason I don't wear feminine fragrances is that I'm not at all masculine enough for it. It would feel extremely awkward if I wore something feminine so I won't bother to test them. Right now I wear Bulgari Black almost all of the time which is considered a unisex. In my opinion a LOT more masculine than feminine though. I wonder if any girls actually use this one. If I met one she would sure leave an impression though. ;D

I don't really care what people wear as long as it smells good on them.

Too bad we were'nt more like dogs, then we would go around and sniff each others butts. Frags would be pretty pointless really ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Noseorgy
    Too bad we were'nt more like dogs, then we would go around and sniff each others butts. Frags would be pretty pointless really ;D

Some of us ARE just like dogs...(don't mind me, carry on... just getting to know you better... back here...sniff sniff... hmmmm smells like... )
    Griff

Are we talking about feminine scents or female scents? *To me there is a distinct difference. *Many fragrances, even those designed and marketed toward men, contain dominant feminine notes or themes. *Personally I love fragrances that have a bit of a feminine edge to them and find overly masculine scents loaded with leather, tobacco, and musk to be boring and blunt. *A fragrance does at least have to have some masculine notes to it for me to like it though. *Some of my favorite feminine male fragrances are Rochas Man (chocolate and lavender), A*Men (chocolate and peppermint) and Hanae Mori HM (too many notes to list). *There probably are fragrances out there marketed to women that I would wear, but I don't have the time or the drive to explore them. I think scents with some feminine notes work really well on me because I look very masculine, I'm an amateur bodybuilder and a pretty big guy. I feel like wearing an overtly masculine scent combined with my image would just be overkill, like the figurative equivalent of repeatedly hitting someone over the head with a large billboard that reads "I AM A MANLY MAN"

My personal opinion ... in the fashion world ( fragrance, clothes, etc ... ), women have better EVERYTHING ...

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Vavoom
    .....Perfume has no sex.
    Huh ?
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I think that when we smell frags on other people, we aren't smelling them in a vaccum. Meaning, the person's looks, carriage, voice, personality...all of that probaby affects how we perceive their scent. So what might seem feminine by just reading the notes might seem just...refined...soft....intriguing....or something else on a man. Likewise, I have worn men's frags and been told that a smell very sexy by men. I doubt they are perceiving the scent as masculine, you know? There are a few things that would seem too feminine on a man to me, but that's completely subjective. I don't dig a soliflore or baby powder on guys, but then alot of guys would probably not be terribly wild about me smelling strongly of cedar and/or patchouli. You have to wear what speaks to you, I think.

The other day, I was on my way to the gallery and ran into a friend (Mary) and she was wearing Coco Mademoiselle. I remember thinking, "she sure smells good", and then "I bet I could wear that!".

My question is and I am sure this has been asked a million times.

What traditionally marketed to women fragrances do men wear? I am thinking about Chanels and maybe Kingdom by McQueen? I just love Chanel perfumes. They are so well made.

Thoughts?

Kelley

The only men that I ever knew who wear women's fragrances are fragrance hobbiests like those here.

I never knew of any man in the general public that wore or wear women's perfume.

I was quite surprised abou this when I joined Basenotes, but I quickly understood how fragrance hobbiests are since I involved in a lot of hobbies.

Anyone I tell about this is also very surpised and tell me they wonder about those men that do, hobby or no hobby.

I said it in numerous posts before, I never did, do not and never will wear woman's fragrances since they are made to help a woman be feminine. And there would be someone who would recognize the scent - and it would definitely matter to me if they would wonder why I would be wearing it. * *

I have yet to find a good rose scent that is masculine
    Although not listed in the fragrance pyramid on basenotes, I recall hearing Safari (Ralph Lauren) has a rose note in it.

Current favorites:

CH Men by Carolina Herrera
    Bogart Pour Homme
    Black Vines by Kerosene
    Piment Brulant by L’Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    My personal opinion ... in the fashion world ( fragrance, clothes, etc ... ), women have better EVERYTHING ...

Yea, and all we got was these ultimately totally useless appendages...

My favorite "ladies" scents that I wear regularly:

Apres L'Ondee (i am running out!)
    Kingdom
    Habanita
    Chanel No. 19
    Feminitè du Bois
    Poivre
    Tabac Blond
    Bandit
    Le Baiser du Dragon
    Hypnotic Poison
    Theorema
    Mitsouko

But never all at once.

Griff
    Griff

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Yea, and all we got was these ultimately totally useless appendages...
    i use mine a lot! ;D
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    [quote author=Griff link=1132424459/15#20 date=1132465071]Yea, and all we got was these ultimately totally useless appendages...
    i use mine a lot! ;D
    [/quote]

or...

does it use YOU?

:-*
    Griff

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    or...

does it use YOU?

it's hard to tell...

is there a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    [quote author=Griff link=1132424459/15#22 date=1132465563]
    or...

does it use YOU?

it's hard to tell...

is there a difference?
    [/quote]

Actually...Good point. No, there is no difference...

Nevermind.

Carry on.

G
    Griff

As presents, I've bought around 50 women's scents since the start of the year - I even sprayed some of them on my wrist in order to compare them to their male equivalents on the other wrist. I disliked them all and invariably, after half an hour, found myself rushing for the scouring soap to wash them off.

Beats me why the effusion of praise for women's scents over men's scents above - with a few exceptions (e.g. Dune, Angel, D&G, Moschino Couture) most of them are just one floral concoction after another. Men's one's are infinitely superior in my opinion, and I really enjoy smelling them in a shop. But when I have to go and smell women's one's, I consider it a chore akin to ironing shirts.
    Renato

Has anyone tried Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez? This is one of those mastepieces which are so complete as they are that we just give up analyzing the notes and ingredients separately any more and just say, "Wow". It's one of those scents which directly stimulate our emotion center in the brain. According to the descriptions, there are Rose de Mai (Bulgarian Rose), Grasse jasmin, patchouli, spices, ambergris, vanila..... But analyzing what are in it does not fully explain the beauty of this fragarance. It's as much complex and one-of-a-kind as Jicky is. I usually do not wear "flowers". But all the players including rose de mai (Bulgarian rose), Grassse Jasmin, patchouli, ambergris...etc are just so perfectly blended that it's truly an oriental fragrance rather than "flowers bouquet". Yet, it's very dry and no aldehyde is added like Coco. It, therefore, does not smell cosmetic. Rather it smells truly natural throughout. One sniff and all you can do is just sighing, saying "I can die for this scent!". It's sweet, but never cloying. It makes you feel very noble and sexy at the same time. Anywone who has not sniffed it yet. Try the parfum version of Bal à Versailles. You'll be hooked on it!

VV

I¨m trying today L´Enfant from a sample of Divine. I´m enchanted whit the note of jazmine that I´ve found in it.
    Have I to resign this marvel of perfume for this one catalogued for woman?. I do not believe......

Agreed

Hermès - Eau des Merveilles is the one female frag that gets the most rotation on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    ...Beats me why the effusion of praise for women's scents over men's scents above - with a few exceptions (e.g. Dune, Angel, D&G, Moschino Couture) most of them are just one floral concoction after another. Men's one's are infinitely superior in my opinion, and I really enjoy smelling them in a shop. But when I have to go and smell women's one's, I consider it a chore akin to ironing shirts.
    Renato
    If in danger of getting all confused over matters like this, I count on you to lead me back to solid grounds, Renato! You are so reliable. Ironing shirts convinced me this time!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Renato, you must have only been sniffing the florals..LOL. There are very many amazing women's scents that don't fall into that category.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I wear anything that I like the smell of, regardless. As far as scents meant for women, while I'd not consider things like Nos. 5 and 22, or Fracas, or Gucci Envy Me, I have had many a pleasant assignation with Femme. Add to the list Tabac Blond, Mitsouko, Jicky--anything not too distaff. Recent releases have not been up to snuff.

Well I just have to say about the whole men-wearing-female-scents thing...
    Nah, just f***ing around. *I'm not going to kick over that rock again! *
    I'm going to... [Dr. Evil voice] * * ZIP IT! * * [/Dr. Evil voice]
    :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

my wife loves smelling 'NU' EDP on me, & I love smelling 'NU' EDT on her...

Quote Originally Posted by cookesoul
    I wore Pure Poison one time because my best friend (who's a girl) dared me----she later told me that it smelled better on me than it did on her. *I would wear it again if the chance came up. *
    Pure Poison is one of the modern reasons for men to wear Dior!
    I can wear it easily (but want to take it as a gift not to buy)
    Amongst others Dior feminine frags which could be on men are - Diorling, Diorama, Miss Dior, Diorella (it`s even more masculine than unisex Parfum d`Therese by Malle!)...

I`d like to wear almost any feminine chypres - leather, fruity, floral - if they were made before 80-s...
    Just almost all feminine Carons...
    And some Guerlains
    Vetiver The Great!!!

And I forget to write down - all feminine florals and orientals of Annick Goutal too!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Most of what I wear is geared towards women or isn't gender-specified. I think a lot of men's fragrances are dull and uninspired and a lot of them smell the same to me. I don't need a label to tell me what is suitable for me. I want to make that decision for myself. A lot of women's perfumes, like white florals, I wouldn't feel comfortable to wear out. But I'd feel even more uncomfortable wearing the sporty marine types that are so common among the men's stuff.

I would love to do a blind test to see what men and women think of certain fragrances when they don't know if it's labelled for men or for women. I think the results would be very interesting.

Hmmm. Not sure where I'll where it to, or even if I'll wear it out at all, but I've just purchased a small bottle of Mitsouko on the internet. After becoming intrigued by comments on Bnotes, I tried this fragrance twice at a department store over the last week, at the same time as I was trying out Jicky.

I decided I just love the smell of Mitsouko. And for me this fragrance is worth having around in my life, even if I only use it at home for my private enjoyment. (Together with a several other women's fragrances I already have for my private delectation eg., Coco and Opium for women).

BTW, I think Mitsouko and Jicky have very similar drydowns. After a couple of hours, they smell almost identical to me. And the drydowns both have a deliciously thick, viscid, almost oily quality to them that I really like.

...women have better EVERYTHING ...
    Women are more evolved than men; you are chimps emulating a higher species.

It's amazing we even let you _______ us.

(SOTD: L'Instant PH.)

I too prefer feminine fragrances to mens'. And although it is classified as unisex, Gaultier2 leans more to the feminine side, but I simply adore it!!! If I had the courage, I would probably wear COCO MADEMOISELLE. which is my favourite fragrance ever, mens' included. I think that one's sexual orientation has nothing to do with one's preferences for a particular perfume. You either love it or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica

you owe me a coke and a new keyboard. ;D

Well,

If Sean Connery is well known for wearring JICKY you have the answer right here !!!

You will add your own male scent to it and it will be your smell combination !!

Laurent
    Invisible Power

Talking Re: Men who just like feminine scents

Quote Originally Posted by Noseorgy
    That exactly why Creed, purveyor to royalty, nobility, powermongers and Hollywood stars, created the one and only ARSENOTE .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Last month, I found myself getting bored of a lot of the men's fragrances currently on the market, and started investigating female fragrances (with the help of an earlier thread on this very subject). After testing many 'recommended' female fragrances, I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed (especially with Mitsouko). However, the jury's still out and I'm still hoping to purchase a couple later this year. Christian Dior's Addict and Hypnotic Poision are currently strong contenders.

Thumbs up Re: Men who just like feminine scents

Before becoming a member of Basenotes the only female scents I wore were Bal a Versailles and Bandit. Being a member of Basenotes I've discovered so many fragrances that I wouldn't of found on my own such as: Black cashmere, Kingdom, Mitsouko, Edu Merveilles,Hiris, Coco Love them. Now I wear whatever I love without consideration of gender.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    That exactly why Creed, purveyor to royalty, nobility, powermongers and Hollywood stars, created the one and only ARSENOTE .
    So I'm not the only one who picks this "bummy waft" note up from some Creed scents?

On feminine scents, there are few that I could go for and wear occasionally, perhaps among the Goutals, and Miller Harris collections, but not many. I would miss the woods and spices of the men's ones too much!

chemistry... When I wear unisex or men's fragrances, they often (always?) go très femme on me, which can be great or bizarre and not-so-great... I suppose the same applies to women's fragrances on men...

Quote Originally Posted by veronica

Whoa. First off, I'd like to just say that women are not more evolved than men. And yes if you women want babies you better let us _____ you. If we didn't, the world as we know it would come to an end eventually. So we both need eachother. Meaning we're both equally evolved.

Score:

Me - 1

You - 0

Quote Originally Posted by veronica

HYPOTHESIS: You must be wearing L'Instant PH to deter the male species? Wait a minute, this is a "chimps" frag, so what are you trying to accomplish by wearing it?

THEORY: As a molecular biologist who's taught graduate-level courses on developmental biology, it's a common understanding/general consensus in my field of expertise, that leans towards the male's Y chromosome as having been derived (call it "evolved" for the sake of simplicity for us more "ape"-like members on this board) from a X-like chromosome as those found in females.

LAW: Based upon your post/attitude, that there's an inverse relationship between evolution and civility.

CONCLUSION: Therefore that's one scent that my gf will be wearing too keep the competition from trying/wanting/willing to steal her away from me!
    Last edited by zeram1; 12th July 2006 at 08:29 AM.

Wow. Thats really charming miss v, very attractive outlook.

Back on topic. Jicky is very nice! definately on my to buy list.

I've felt the pull to wear feminines since the beginning. Half of my wardrobe has always been feminines-- honestly, its easier to find a beautiful perfume made for women than for men. I have been hard pressed to find an adequate masculine lately, rather, one that actually connotates masculinity and not my grandpa (although I still love grandpa frags)
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

At first I only tried the "masculines," but then I read Turin's (& Sanchez') "guide" book as well as comments on BN, and I ordered some "women's" samples that I thought I might like. More than a year later, I can say that many "women's" Oriental frags are stronger versions of similar "men's" ones, just without lavender. A good example is Brit Gold. There are also more women's frags produced, which means there's a good chance you can do a swap (especially on MUA). So, if you like Oriental frags, as I do, but you don't like strong lavender, it really makes no sense to avoid women's Orientals (Turin has made a similar point). There are some other non-Orientals to consider, such as Tommy Girl or several chypres, but for me the Oriental frag is the one where men really get misled (again, unless they really want strong lavender in their Orientals).

I havnt found any feminine scents that I have felt suiting for myself.. I own Viloresi Musk which i see as feminine, especially the opening.

I would be totally fine with wearing a womans perfume though if i found one i really liked.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Men who just like feminine scents

X or Y chromosomes be damned. I wear what I want when I want to because I am confident in who I am. Creativity knows no bounds. We enslave ourselves when we subscribe to the social conventions that limit our creativity and freedom. The Avant Garde lead. The view from the front of the line is better.

Wink Re: Men who just like feminine scents

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    . The Avant Garde lead. The view from the front of the line is better.
    You just don't get to enjoy the view of the cute butts and the nice sillage in front.

I just smelled Viva La Juicy at Sephora and I'm thinking of trying it yet again. Very nice.

I presently have AdP Iris Nobile on one hand and Tom Ford Voile de Fleur on the other, enjoying the floral tennis match on my hands.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Basenotes Institution

Honestly, I would just wear whatever you love - who cares if its labelled female or for men ?
    I am wearing CD Dolce Vita today but I can very easily see any man wearing it too.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

By the way, female perfume hobbyists should discuss the same theme: "Why masculine perfumes are better than feminine? Why we get all the same fresh-flowery-fruity cr*p for years? there should be something better and original!"
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    By the way, female perfume hobbyists should discuss the same theme: "Why masculine perfumes are better than feminine? Why we get all the same fresh-flowery-fruity cr*p for years? there should be something better and original!"
    Quite true !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

To follow with the topic here, I'm a guy but like gourmand scents. I don't really like the typical women fragrances cuz I hate fragrances with strong flowers smell in them especially the jasmine. However my latest crush is L de Lolita Lempicka - a really yummy gourmand that last amazingly long.

Well to stay on the original subject I'll state 1) I'm straight...wife and 2 little daughters 2) I have never worn nor will I ever wear a scent classified as "for a female."

Now with that stated I want to say that I, in no way frown upon the practice. Just the opposite. I think it is great that people can pull it off and like to pull it off. I, personally, can't pull it off though. For one, female scents that I have even sampled come off as "cheap" on my skin and are really too intense. Secondly, many give me headaches(any scent with strong flower bases just don't do well with me). Thirdly, I am an attorney working at a major corp and there is really a deep conservative feel here and I think it would overwhelm people. Fourthly, my wife HATES anything that smells feminine on me...even sweeter scents marketed to males and unisex scents. So overall it is just a practice that will never happen. I have enough trouble finding the male marketed ones that I actually want to wear alot.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 27th October 2009 at 12:22 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan