Code of Conduct

Thread: Equipage!?

Default Equipage!?

I am planning to buy Hermes Equipage tomorrow..............but I do not really know why. I my world the word "Hermes" is just soooo classy and cool (and very few people wears Hermes scents in my country).

I had a bottle a few years ago and at that time I found it oldfashioned and actually quite dated - but then again at that time I was not a Basenoter and I have learned a lot here.

I still think it is dated...........but also classy like hell!

What are your thoughts on Equipage?

Mic.

Default Re: Equipage!?

I need to test this again sometime. I sampled it at the store last year along with Bel Ami. I dismissed both of them because I thought they smelled too "80's" for me. I used to the think the same about Havana but that changed. Maybe I'll have a different opinion about Equipage the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    I need to test this again sometime. I sampled it at the store last year along with Bel Ami. I dismissed both of them because I thought they smelled too "80's" for me. I used to the think the same about Havana but that changed. Maybe I'll have a different opinion about Equipage the next time. *
    I tested it numerous times in stores and didn't think much of it. But then one day I came across a bottle of it dirt cheap and bought it. I was amazed at how good it was in the actual wearing.
    Renato

I have a mini of it and it still hasen't grown on me like other classic scents from the same period have.

I definately appreciate it, but don't like it, if you know what I mean.

I think of it as a fall scent suitable only for a few formal occasions.
    Strong, and definitely 80's (which I tend to like). Not too many young folks under 30 may be able to pull this one off though.
    Very classy. Possibly due to its usage (more like overdose) of Carnation.

Bottom line: Limited usage.

I think it is pretty great. Carnations, new mown hay, a touch of leather. What's not to love?
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I tested it numerous times in stores and didn't think much of it. But then one day I came across a bottle of it dirt cheap and bought it. I was amazed at how good it was in the actual wearing.
    Renato
    I am still waiting for that day to come for me. I love Equipage at the store and keep going back to it. Out in the street nothing reaches my nose, and one hour later I have to get really close to still smell it on my skin or blotter.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

The citrus opening is brilliant, but it becomes overtly stuffy with moss and carnation on the drydown for my taste.

MMM

I agree with Matt's description but those dry-down notes are the ones I love about it. Aromatic, spicy and long lasting - but unlike some scents from that period it never overpowers the wearer IMO.

Maybe not a younger man's scent, other than on formal occasions?

Trot

I don't know that I could ever have a signature scent again, but if I were limited to one fragrance, it would almost certainly be Equipage. Perfect for dress up occasions, it is also suitable with jeans. I find myself often wearing this to church on Sundays and enjoying it immensely throughout the day. Not my favorite, but usually near my top five, and more versatile and easily wearable through the summer months than the ones that tend to make that list (e.g., Antaeus, Patou pour homme, Bois du Portugal, Eucris).

Hmm...Why I didn`t see Old Spice mentioned there anywhere?

Thanks for the reminder on this one. I used to really love it and wear it regularly years ago.

I will have to sniff it out again.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by levente
    I don't know that I could ever have a signature scent again, but if I were limited to one fragrance, it would almost certainly be Equipage. *Perfect for dress up occasions, it is also suitable with jeans. *I find myself often wearing this to church on Sundays and enjoying it immensely throughout the day. *Not my favorite, but usually near my top five, and more versatile and easily wearable through the summer months than the ones that tend to make that list (e.g., Antaeus, Patou pour homme, Bois du Portugal, Eucris).

YEARS FROM NOW when most of the scents launched in the last few years have faded into obscurity, my guess is that Equipage will still be around. if one definition of "classic" is the ability to stand the test of time, then Equipage is certainly a classic.

AZTEC

Well my thoughts are: *I'm digging this one hard. *Just bought a 100ml EdT of it off a BaseNoter cleaning out his also-rans. *Blind buy for me so I was a little nervous. *But it was dirt cheap. *
    And boy am I glad I did. *This is exactly the kind of fragrance they just don't make anymore. *Totally. *Masculine. *
    Thanks, Dave!
    ;D

...You know, in a strange way, I somehow feel that Equipage is the indoor, dressed-up version of YSL pour Homme. *They have something similar in their feel (if not in their notes). *I'll have to think about why some more...

WAAAAAAUUUUUWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW................I bought it and have not worn anything else since friday and never will again (cough*cough ;D)

Don't know if it is because I am getting older or maybe because I have learnt so much here at BN but now I REALLY appreciate every moment of this scent. Right now I cannot come up with another scent that is as classy and well made than this. It reminds me a little about Chanel pour Monsieur.........not the smell of it - more the "feel" if you understand.

Will wear it for the 4th day in a row tomorrow - and that has not happened to any scent in a loooong time.

I am really crazy about Hermes scents these scents...........Bel Ami and Rocabar are also wonderful stuff which I will never get tired of.

Mic.