Code of Conduct

Default Both Day and Night

This might be impossible to ask, but do you know of any fragrances that can be subtle and pleasant during the day but whose sexiness can come out at night? Gucci Envy, for example, cannot be worn during the day. Clean Man, though, is something that would be unsuitable while clubbing. A lot depends on the person's personality and appearance at the time, but if there's a fragrance that can almost magically alter the perception people get from it at different times, i want to know!

I really like Fahrenheit, but I think that can't be worn in the office. A fragrance like Marc Jacobs (another one I'm considering), isn't exactly protruding enough at night to work.

Please keep to well-known designer brands. Basically, if you can't get it at Sephora, Perfumania, Ulta, or a department store, *please* do not suggest it. Many thanks!!

Default Re: Both Day and Night

Tough question. I'm really not sure that my answer will work for you. Hard to think of something inoffensively "office" that turns aggressively "sexy" (for lack of better terms) in the late drydown.

But certainly for that much variation--er, shift between start and finish--and still in the sephora/department store category, I think you'll need to go back to older, classic men's scents. Chanel Pour Monsieur concentree, Chanel's Antaeus, or Caron's Yatagan. Maybe Chanel's Allure, maybe Hermes's Bel Ami or Equipage.

You could always try the signature scent route and declare that your scent is going to mean you, rather than mean an agreement with the time of day, the weather, the season, or they type of event. Then it wouldn't be the scent you'd need to have change from office to evening, it would just be the scent that is you moving between those parts of the day with you. The search for a signature scent is different from the search for one that is office during the day but romantic in the drydown.

I don't know, this is just some fluff that popped into my head I guess. But maybe my recommendations will work for you. Hope so.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

D&G Pour Homme - fresh and fruity for daytime and spicy/peppery for evening.

I believe Platinum Egoiste can be used for the office as well as a night out. Just adjust your method of application.

[quote author=zenazz109 link=1129319424/0#0 date=1129319424] A fragrance like Marc Jacobs (another one I'm considering), isn't exactly protruding enough at night to work.

quote]

I respectfully disagree on MJ. Its one of my favorite and I think somewhat undervalued scents here...perhaps its geography but around these parts it does well at night. Or maybe I'm just projecting a bit of DustB's thinking on signatures. I second DG PH too. Good suggestion.

I don't think there is one scent that can do everything. That's why we have so many! Anyway, i'm thinking a somewhat mild incence oriental could be the thing. Try Kenzo Jungle or Azzaro Visit. You'd probably need to reapply for the evening though.

During the warmer months, Creed Millesime Imperial would be my choice....though it would require reapplication over the course of the day. In the summer heat, it has enough sillage to work, though in a more subtle way than many alternatives.

For the colder weather that's rapidly approaching, I'm at a loss. I would have led with Creed's Bois du Portugal, but it's not one that I think of as a "night-clubbing" scent. Something by Aramis might be in order. Havana is one that comes to mind.

Cheers,
    Jim

RTbar

Magnetism might work, as well as GIT

I'd feel a little weird wearing dolce and gabanna pour homme. I'm a teen.

What is Magnetism like (and what does GIT stand for!?), RTbar?

Zenazz109,

first of all, do we talk re-application in the evening before going to club or not?
    I'm asking that because even with longest lasting scent (which is about 12+ hrs) you can smell full base note accord in about an hour or even earlier. Some scents on (!) some skins can give interesting smells almost, say, at the end of the base note but it's quite personal.

What you want is sort of driving on a Ford to the office that could turn into a Ferrari late in the evening. Or wearing to work jeans & T-shirt *that could then turn into a tuxedo. *

All in all, "Nothing's impossible" (here's me listening to Dave Gahan's singing such titled track on the latest DM album Playing the Angel). I'd second the idea of the proper application method and will suggest taking, as you said, only one scent (most likely, woody-oriental) of which you can wear 1 spritz (or under the shirt, or half-spritz or even a small dab, it depends) to the office (that could be quite OK and inoffensive) and when it's time to go to nightclub you just apply more adding 2-3-4-... spritzes on and you're set for the night to "turn all the girls on".

With that in mind I'd suggest:
    Armand Basi Homme,
    Yohji Homme or B*Men,
    Bvlgari Black (smells quite formal in homeopatic doses, IMO),
    Versace Dreamer or mentioned D&G PH,
    Escada pour Homme or Gucci Evny (I'm serious, why not? it's all about the quantity),
    Lagerfeld's Jako or Cristobal pour Homme (Balenciaga),
    John Varvatos,
    Givenchy Pi and S. Dali Laguna,
    Cacharel Nemo,
    Givenchy Very Irresistible and Xeryus Rouge,
    even L'Instant pour Homme.
    (pairs are not that they're similar, they just came to mind that way)

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Regards, Odor.
    "One man's "cat piss" is another one's "masterpiece" (popular fragrance wisdom)

Definitely reapplication.

Of all those, are any of them "fruity"? I want something that can be a LITTLE sweet...

What are Very Irresistible, B*Men, The Dreamer, Black, Escada pour Homme, Varvatos like? I don't think I'd be able to find the other ones at say Sephora, Macy's, or Saks.

Dunhill for Men (1934) [not widely available]
    Z-14
    Quorum
    Baldessarini
    Pasha
    Caswell Massey Sandalwood [not widely available]
    Helan - Rum & Vetiver [not widely available]
    probably any Bay Rum; Royall is pretty good
    Habit Rouge

... I would say a spicy, leather scent would seem to do the trick, generally. Also consider Paco Rabanne PH.

K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I tried some things today...

I really liked the new Corduroy cologne and Allure. I looked at John Varvatos and D&GPH, and I don't think I could pull those off.

Question - do you guys think Allure is too common? What about Zirh Corduroy or D&G Masculine? I'm thinking one of those three at the moment. Also, I've been looking all over for the new Dior Homme - who carries it?!?!

Blog Entries

Azzaro Chrome fits this bill perfectly, IMHO.

Also...I asked the question probably a month ago now, about if Burberry Brit is acceptable for clubbing or not. I've worn it out a couple times & got compliments on it. Now...when I go clubbing I don't dance...so I don't know how it would hold up on a hot & sweaty dancer, lol.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

my first thought,"versatile or need one that will last througout the day and evening"
    francesco smalto is a great fragrance,very long lasting on my skin,if longevity is the issue find one you like and take it with you

That's odd, I'd have thought nothing of wearing Fahrenheit to the office. I don't usually go for orientals to the office, but Envy is fresh enough that I've occasionally worn it.

My nomination for a scent that fits your description is Kiton.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by zenazz109
    Gucci Envy, for example, cannot be worn during the day.
    Uhh...yes, it can! 8-)
    David and Becca forever!!

I second Dunhill Original 1934.
    Dunhill Edition
    Guerlain Derby
    Guerlain L'Instant
    Armani PH

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by dav-here
    [quote author=zenazz109 link=1129319424/0#0 date=1129319424]Gucci Envy, for example, cannot be worn during the day.
    Uhh...yes, it can! *8-)
    [/quote]

YES! I agree! I love it! 8-)

I was beaten to it but I would also say Platinum Egoiste

i third Chanel Allure Homme . . . Carolina Herrrera's 212 has also been a hit for me in the evenings as well as the days