Code of Conduct

Default Mens version of Cinnabar

I remember reading a post a few weeks ago that there was a mens scent that was extremely similiar to Estee Lauders Cinnabar. I cant find that post and for the life of me cant remember what mens scent people were saying was the same as Cinnabar. Does anyone know what it is?
    Awesomeguy

Default Re: Mens version of Cinnabar

JHL ... but I have to confess to never having tried cinnabar!

AZTEC

Yup, it was JHL. I haven't tried Cinnabar either.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Don't try Cinnabar-seek out JHL from Nordstrom's.

I have JHL and decided to sample the Cinnabar after reading the posts. I must warn fellow basenoters to stay away from this one, it's just too pungeant and cloying. As well, one must allow at least 30 or more minutes before being able to appreciate any semblance of the Cinnabar to JHL-which is a stretch by any means.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

What's JHL in full name, and by who is it made?
    Thanks

JHL is the full name, and it is made by Aramis (Estee Lauder).

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Vavoom
    What's JHL in full name, and by who is it made?
    Thanks

Its full name is JHL. And it's made by Aramis/Estee Lauder.

Legend has it that Estee Lauder made this fragrance for her husband. As the Basenotes Directory says:

Created by Estee Lauder for her husband, whose initials were JHL. (Joseph Harold Lauder)

It's a really high-class formal scent. Smells quite wonderful, especially if you're a fan of cinnamon.

My freaking lord! It's discontinued! :'(
    I just called up my resources here in Dubai, and they all said long time bye-bye is the JHL!

I always associate JHL with cognac or armangnac...it has a liqueur like effect...maybe a little sweet initially but wears well over the day. If JHL were interior design, I guess it would be characterized as 'restrained opulence'.

BTW the bottle has a nice heft to it. It has a copper top and an engraved copper base that complements the cognac -like color of the fragrance.

RECOMMENDED.

AZTEC

I just called up my resources here in Dubai, and they all said long time bye-bye is the JHL!
    I don't think its discontinued its just very limited distribution. I see it here at Bloomingdales all the time and at some Nordstroms. I bought my bottle personally at Marshall Fields on State St. in Chicago but interestingly the Marshall Fields on Michigan Ave. doesn't have it.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

JHL and Cinnabar are clones of each other. Seek out Cinnabar its oriental carpet ride for the nose.

Note true. It's still available in select stores in the US, mostly Nordstoms. You can also buy it online on eBay.

I am thinking of selling it again (on eBay).

Cinnabar is not exactly identical to JHL. They share some notes but Cinnabar has a slightly more floral/aldehyde heart than JHL. I love Cinnabar for its own unique personality but it and JHL are not the same to this nose.

Griff
    Griff

I haven't been able to find anywhere in the UK that stocks it. I used to really love JHL.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I couldn't find it anywhere in the UK, so had to buy 2 bottles from the States.

If anyone in the states is interested in a bottle, let me know and I can drop by the Nordstroms here. It would be something like $65 shipped anywhere in the states.