Code of Conduct

Default Do you tell the truth?

When another person asks you what scent you're wearing, do you always tell the truth? A class mate asked me what cologne I was wearing one day and I told him it was Halston Unbound. The following week I noticed that he was wearing Unbound. I complimented him on it and he said, "Yeah. All the girls love it. I told my frat buddies and they're all planning to get it now."

Imagine how I felt when every guy on the football team smelled like Unbound. Well, the next day I was wearing Geir and that same guy asked me what it was. I lied and told him it was Curve. Geir is mine and only mine. [smiley=evil.gif]

Default Re: Do you tell the truth?

I always tell the truth whenever someone is actually interested enough to ask me about my scent of the day. After all, passion loves company and when it comes to my particular passions--especially the wild and wacky world of scents--recruiting noviates just seems to come naturally.

Besides, you can never have enough toaster ovens...

Griff
    Griff

I always tell the truth when it comes to when a person asks what fragrance I'm wearing.

However, 99% of the time, I had people on campus loving my smellies, but they STILL thought that Curve was the best men's scent ever. Ugh.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I usually do, but I've learned that sometimes it can be more trouble than it is worth. Usually when someone asks, they're expecting a short answer like "Cool Water" or something instantly recognizable. When you say, "It's called 'The Third Man,' by Caron," (or something similarly outside the mainstream but not even a super-misty niche), and then they get a puzzled look on their face, it's just too much of a pain to explain it all. Or something... * :-/

I'm going to have to agree with John on this one, just not worth it - Even if it's something people would know. In my experience as soon as you say, there almost always seems to be this uncomfortable silence which follows.. I've never been asked by another guy, and if asked by women, I've always found saying something like 'I'll tell you later' with a smile always seems to work best anyway :

Quote Originally Posted by misterbowles
    I usually do, but I've learned that sometimes it can be more trouble than it is worth. usually when someone asks, they're expecting a short answer like "Cool Water" or something instantly recognizable. When you say, "It's called 'The Third Man," by Caron," (or something similarly outside the mainstream but not even a super-misty niche), and then they get a puzzled look on their face, it's just too much of a pain to explain it all. Or something... * :-/
    I've experienced this too. A girl asked me once what I was wearing and I said "Green Irish Tweed by Creed". She replied with "HUH?" so then I just said "Creed." But I have to admit that it did sound pretty confusing. It's like a tongue twister.

Ha! I have yet to lie to someone about a cologne, I just don't tell them... ;D

All joking aside, I might consider that... I'll be pretty funny if I tell them it's some god awful fragrance, and boom!, they show up with it the next week. :P

If I think the person is cool, I'll tell them. If it seems like a hassle, I just say, "Oh, it's something French" and it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    If I think the person is cool, I'll tell them. *If it seems like a hassle, I just say, "Oh, it's something French" and it works fine.
    This is a good tactic, for sure.

Oh, i always tell them what i'm wearing. I like to see the befuddled look on their faces. ;D

I enjoy the befuddled look on their faces! But for the most part, I usually don't tell them what it is. I usually just give them a briefing of what it's about or I say something like, "Aw, just some old stuff that was made in 1995" or "something I got off eBay"...hehe. :-X

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Hrrm...I must be doing something wrong cos I never get compliments. However, I'd tell the truth unless I had a real good reason to not to (ie, frat-ass).
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

"If I think the person is cool, I'll tell them. If it seems like a hassle, I just say, "Oh, it's something French" and it works fine."

I've used this one pretty often, it works like a charm. Most guys are so embarassed to ask that they're glad to have any answer. This is reserved for those who you really don't want to come to class/work smelling like you in a week.
    Top Five: Oud Wood, Aventus, Kyoto, Rose 31, Tam Dao

I always tell.

Yes, I do. If someone "steals" my scent, it won't smell the same on her/him anyway...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I tell them because I almost certainly know that none of my friends is willing to spend more than 40€ on a bottle of perfume so I'm pretty safe

Lieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

And I always lied on antaeus and gave a name by Guerlain !!! far too specific to be shared at work !!!!

Now for a fresh scent I dont mind fresh is really commun this days so yes I tell that one !!!

laurent
    Invisible Power

I usually try to cook up a good one. Something vague and esoteric sounding. :-X

I kind of tend to lie in this case... but try to tell a related or similar frag instead :-/
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se męle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

I always tell the truth. I spend most of the time only with my friend, and we share all the fragrances with each other anyway. So what frags others wear isn't much important for me.

I do not know whether it's age, the way we are brought up, or the country we live in: In some European places it could be considered bad manners to ask anybody. If a mature person does ask, this could mean that I probably applied too much, criticism disguised as a compliment or simple question.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I tell the truth and like everyone else get the puzzled looks in response. :-?
    What creeps me out is when a woman asks you what you are wearing and then says "Hmm. I have to get some for my husband."
    I don't want their husbands smelling like me!
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Often too much hazzle involved in explaining, since they almost always want to hear a name they know. I think I just kind of let it slip, depending on who asks and how interested the person seems...

If I know the person well, then I tell them. If I don't know the person, then I often give them only the house name, e.g. "Cartier" or "Helmut Lang." More than that usually causes confusion.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    If I think the person is cool, I'll tell them. *If it seems like a hassle, I just say, "Oh, it's something French" and it works fine.
    Same here!

Blog Entries

Since I primarily wear designer frags, I usually tell people what I wear if asked. Doesn't usually cause confusion.

And the ONE TIME I was asked about a Creed fragrance, the asker actually knew about Creed, so that was cool!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

It depends, if I was wearing Un Bois de Sépia by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido, then I´d definitely think twice...
    I don´t keep Kenzo PH etc a secret though.

MMM

No. Not when I'm wearing 'men's' fragrance.

Just thinking aloud, but with all of the effort that goes into the responses for "What Scent Is a Babe Magnet?"-type questions, if a woman asks what scent you're wearing and you answer, "Something French", you guys are not helping matters. I'm thinking the correct response would be to make eye contact, "Oh, do you like it?", smile and take it from there. Maybe even a conspiratorial, "Oh, do you like it? I'm not sure if I do. Its new." as a way of asking for her opinion and engaging in conversation.

For me it depends on the person asking. If the person is the type who is also interested in fragrances, then I would tell and even mention from which house it came from. If he/she is just asking because my scent got the person's attention because it smells nice then maybe I'll just mention some familiar fragrance name if the name is too long or is just too difficult to pronounce. :P

John

I've been never asked by a stranger or a friend (except once by a GF).

"Comme des Garcons parfums PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Ouarzazate" could be easily too much for everyone who's not "in the theme" of fragrance. I think "something French" or "I don't remember the name" would do it for me.

Regards, Odor.
    "One man's "cat piss" is another one's "masterpiece" (popular fragrance wisdom)

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    No. Not when I'm wearing 'men's' fragrance.

Just thinking aloud, but with all of the effort that goes into the responses for "What Scent Is a Babe Magnet?"-type questions, if a woman asks what scent you're wearing and you answer, "Something French", you guys are not helping matters. I'm thinking the correct response would be to make eye contact, "Oh, do you like it?", smile and take it from there. Maybe even a conspiratorial, "Oh, do you like it? I'm not sure if I do. Its new." as a way of asking for her opinion and engaging in conversation.
    You should post more often.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    Just thinking aloud, but with all of the effort that goes into the responses for "What Scent Is a Babe Magnet?"-type questions, if a woman asks what scent you're wearing and you answer, "Something French", you guys are not helping matters. I'm thinking the correct response would be to make eye contact, "Oh, do you like it?", *smile and take it from there. Maybe even a conspiratorial, "Oh, do you like it? I'm not sure if I do. Its new." as a way of asking for her opinion and engaging in conversation.
    During those drunken nights at the club, I've responded with "Do you like it? Why don't we go back to my place so I can show you the bottle?" In some cases, sharing your scent pays off. :-X

I always tell the truth but no one believes me when I tell them its Joop :-?

I always tell the truth.Most people dont have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Oh, i always tell them what i'm wearing. I like to see the befuddled look on their faces.
    lol Me too!!

:-? *<----- them

;D *<----- me
    David and Becca forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    During those drunken nights at the club, I've responded with "Do you like it? Why don't we go back to my place so I can show you the bottle?" In some cases, sharing your scent pays off.
    Hmmm...I must remember to try that response sometime... *8-)
    David and Becca forever!!

Wow, I forgot all about this topic. Thanks for bringing this thread back to life dav-here! It's funny because in the past month I've been asked a few times what scent I was wearing. On those days my answer was usually "Geir Ness" or "Passage d'Enfer". The puzzled looks I got in response were priceless. *

Overcome By Fumes

Generally truth. I've crossed my fingers when wearing something woefully girly like "Pink Sugar" that I would not be asked. If it's something niche or complicated, I follow the trend described here of giving a vague or house name and seeing if there is a follow-up question. For some people, the asking is basically just a compliment but if it were something simple that they'd see at the department store they might check it out there too. I see no problem in sharing with others. Good luck on the footballers all finding Geir too, by the way--Unbound can be picked up at Target or Sears, not so with "The Power of Norway"!

The only time I have been asked lately was by my doctor (male) when I went for a check-up. When I removed my shirt he said 'you smell so good'!! 'What is your cologne?'

I replied 'Pour un Homme de Caron, no doubt you know it'. To my surprise he said he did and that it was a classic! Needless to say that he is not English - he is Spanish.....

Trot

Quote Originally Posted by Trotsky
    To my surprise he said he did and that it was a classic! Needless to say that he is not English - he is Spanish.....Trot
    .....and this is the end of the story :-?
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

If i'm wearing a mens scent, yes, i always tell the truth. If i'm wearing a womens scent, no it wont because i dont want them to assume stupid things about me if i told them i was wearing a womens frag. For example, if i am wearing aeromatics elixir i will tell people i am wearing aramis 900. If i'm wearing black cashmere i will say i'm wearing gucci pour homme. Or if i'm wearing a scent like Must de by Cartier that has both womens and mens versions and i happen to be wearing the womens version, i'll just say i have on Must by Cartier. Theres no need to tell people i'm have on the womens version. I wore Agent Provocateur before and when people asked i said i was wearing Morocan Rose. That wasent a lie because morocan rose is the predominant note in A.P.
    Awesomeguy

I was asked today what I was wearing by one of the guys at work. I had Lolita Lempicka on and for a split second, thats what I was gonna tell him but I know for a fact his response would have been 'Lolita what? Sounds like a girls perfume, etc etc'
    So I just said it was a new Hugo Boss....y'know, keep things macho sounding.
    'Oh right.....you smell like a women'

You cant win sometimes :-/

I haven't been asked too many times, but I don't see the harm in being truthful, even if it's something the person probably hasn't heard of.

just my opinion, peace

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    During those drunken nights at the club, I've responded with "Do you like it? Why don't we go back to my place so I can show you the bottle?" In some cases, sharing your scent pays off. * :-X

what a great line! *Time for me to change "would you like to come back to my place and see the etchings that I did in prison?"

AZTEC

Never been asked myself for a stranger but a few times from friends + family, and I always tell the truth, and speak real slow.

I wore both Blue and Metal Jeans in High School and a good friend commented on how great I smelt.

My brother told me I smelt like Chanel #5 when I wore Creed MI.

[quote author=docluv45 link=1127693357/30#37 date=1132333645]Generally truth. *I've crossed my fingers when wearing something woefully girly like "Pink Sugar" that I would not be asked]

I wore Pink Sugar to work once (i work at a hotel) and a guest approached the desk and asked what she was smelling. *She stated she smelled belgian waffles. *I was not about to say "i'm wearing a cologne called Pink Sugar maam". *I said i was wearing a new cologne for guys called Candyman. * ;D
    Awesomeguy

Blog Entries

Last night I was out w/ some friends. We were @ a noisy club. One friend turned to me & said that I smelled REALLY good and she wanted to know what I was wearing. I was wearing Silver Mountain Water. Now, this particular friend is a woman who also likes wearing guys' colognes. However, she's not into niche frags at all, I don't even think she knows they exist, lol. I tried the best I could to tell her honestly what I was wearing, but she just couldn't hear me over the noise. So finally I said......

"Something French"
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Yep, all the time, and make an offer to write it down, which begets a big ole "forget it" or "never mind" from the inquirer. Might as well say I'm wearing Blah de Gack since all it does is cause consternation when someone suspects one of deliberate obfuscation. There goes that bastard who wears Ick au Poo again.