Code of Conduct

Thread: Got milk?

Default Got milk?

I know it's debatable whether or not health care professionals should wear fragrances, but the fact is I do.

One day I was wearing Tam Dao (very lightly beneath my lab coat). This is by far my favorite sandalwood fragrance. Tonya, one of the nurses I worked with, came up to me and said,

"Wow, you smell very citrusy! You know what? My brother works for a fragrance company, and I will bring you something you will definitely fall in love with tomorrow!"

....... Citrusy? Well, I don't think Tam Dao has any obvious citrus note in it, but oh well, olfactory sensation is a very subjective thing anyway...... *

Next day, as she had promised, Tonya brought what appeared to be an almost empty bottle (left over?) of a fragrance. ....I thought her brother worked for a "fragrance company".....

"Try this! This is 100 times better than what you were wearing yesterday!".

I sprayed it onto a piece of paper........ ????? I tried to find a word.....Generic?...... Bland?...... What is this? Is this some kind of Candid Camera thing?.......I looked at the bottle. It says, "Pleasure For Men (Estee Lauder)"...... Ppppppleasure For Men?........Estee Lauder?......... Well, it's tha thought that counts. After all, she is one of my best friends in ER. I, of course, thanked her for it. And we've been good friends .....

Well, no offense to those who love Pleasure For Men or Estee Lauder's fragrances in general. But I felt this incident taught me something very important.

Fact : Our (basenoters') noses are highly more advanced than the average nose of general population on this planet. We can smell something most people's limbic system cannot even detect. I don't mean to act like, "We're MENSAN. Our IQ's belong the top 2% of the general population!", but most people do not smell what we think we smell.

I mostly wear fragrances because I feel better that way, but somewhere on my mind, I may be hoping for a comment like, "Wow, what's this cologne? What an irresistible combination of sharp cypress, sensual cumin and transparent sandalwood!" Some of you might say I may be partially dependent on the remarks and comments from friends. Well, you may be right. Then I get "You smell citrusy!" I thought I really need to change my "fragrance gear" into "wearing cologne 100% for nobody but myself" mode..... (again, I have to admit it's highly debatable whether or not physicians should wear fragrances.....)

Actual comments from my friends (not even a hint of correlation to the actual scent whatsoever...)

Bigarade Concentree : "Are you wearing CK One?"

Piper Nigrum : "I love your aftershave! My father uses Brut, too!"

Bois d'Iris : "White Diamond, isn't it?"

Jicky : "Did you burn patchouli incense today?"

Dior Homme : "........Got milk?"

VV

Default Re: Got milk?

Okay, I smell like a cookie or do I smell like a cow when I wear Dior Homme?

I wanted to stab myself in the jugular when this woman complemented me when I wore Dia...but she asked me if I was wearing Fahrenheit....AAAAGHHH, KILL ME....KILL ME NOW!!!!

What's MANSAN, V_V? Did you mean MENSA?

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Ooops. Wrong spelling! Thanks. Yes I tried to mean MENSAN (members of MENSA). I happen to be a MENSAN myself actually, and I should know how to spell it, shouldn't I? Hahaha.

VV

Interesting post!

I believe most people started out wearing fragrance to feel attractive, so they bought what is popular. When scent becomes an obsession, you tend to wear it for yourself - as a mood enhancer or confidence booster. Soon, you will reach a threshold level where nothing is good, except those exclusive niche fragrance. Subconsciously you convinced youself that owning and wearing niche fragrances separate you from the uninitated. As you collect more and more bottles, your saturated olfactory sense will no longer be thrilled by what used to be good. After an extended period of spritzing and testing, you finally take a vacation from this scent-hobby of yours... and until then, after giving it up; you will reach a new plateau of appreciation for fragrances. Its like a sublime zen state of mind. Niche, designer or brand no longer matters.

I like listening to peoples' comments about scents, especially women because they have a sharper olfactory sense. Even though most people are not as scent-educated as the members here at basenotes, its still interesting to hear their opinions. I like finding out which fragrance notes people are fond of by asking them to name a few of their favourite scents - you can gather a lot of info about human's scent-sensory from them, as they are like children (naive about scents), they can say the darnest thing that turns out to be a honest statement!

qoute V_V: Piper Nigrum : "I love your aftershave! My father uses Brut, too!"

Well observed from the distance. Your friend gets a point there!
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrant_Violet
    Bois d'Iris : "White Diamond, isn't it?"
    *:-? Is there even the slightest likeness?

Quote Originally Posted by eau_de_amour
    ....I believe most people started out wearing fragrance to feel attractive, so they bought what is popular. When scent becomes an obsession, you tend to wear it for yourself - as a mood enhancer or confidence booster. Soon, you will reach a threshold level where nothing is good, except those exclusive niche fragrance. Subconsciously you convinced youself that owning and wearing niche fragrances separate you from the uninitated. As you collect more and more bottles, your saturated olfactory sense will no longer be thrilled by what used to be good. After an extended period of spritzing and testing, you finally take a vacation from this scent-hobby of yours... and until then, after giving it up; you will reach a new plateau of appreciation for fragrances. Its like a sublime zen state of mind. Niche, designer or brand no longer matters......
    ....nothing is good, except those exclusive niche fragrances ! We just arrived here, and it seems to be the most vexing of all stages!

(1) I can afford them least.

(2) They changed my whole value system. Bottles I have treasured yesterday appear to be worthless now (not all, but some).

(3) I have tripled the number of bottles, but not my fun.

(I hope I find my way back down)
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

They probably just come out with the only name of a scent that they know..LOL

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove