Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default WHICH GUERLAIN SHOULD BE IN ONE'S WARDROBE??

Calling all Guerlain fanatics! Which Guerlain would you NEVER part with and why?

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WHICH GUERLAIN SHOULD BE IN ONE'S WARDROBE??

Just one? I don't think that's possible ;D

Vetiver. Vetiver Eau Glacee / Fraiche / Frozen. Trying to obtain Vetiver Pour Elle.

Jicky all the way. An oldie - but a goodie. Cannot imagine being without it. Could easily llive without HR.

if you were a newbie with no Guerlain... i would say get Vetiver first. Its a green standard, and a good point of reference for vetiver scents. Next I'd say get L'Instant pour homme, because its so wearable and balanced. After that its hard to say because some of the Guerlains are really nice but its difficult to find a place to wear them because they can be so formal and anachronistic. I think some guy was wearing Heritage at a club last night, but it would have been too weird to ask.
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

I wouldn't want to part with anything from your list, I'll also include Chamade & Vetiver, I have total respect for this house...
    Let your nose be your pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    I think some guy was wearing Heritage at a club last night, but it would have been too weird to ask.
    If it were on Friday night in the City of London, it might have been me ;D
    Let your nose be your pilot

Habit Rouge

Jicky, Chamade, Eau du Coq, Shalimar.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, it's so hard to pick just one. I voted for "Other" and by other I mean Coriolan. It might not be essential, at least not for everybody, but I couldn't live without it. And it's discontinued... >

There are, of course, other Guerlain must-haves, like Vetiver or Heritage, or Jicky or Habit Rouge, but my all-time Guerlain favourite is (together with L'heure bleue) Coriolan.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Vetiver is the most versatile, so 'other'

Post Thanks / Like

Habit rouge here.

Post Thanks / Like

Vetiver and Jicky just about cover the whole spectrum of needs for me.

Post Thanks / Like

THE NEW L'INSTANT EXTREME EAU DE PARFUM POUR HOMME, BABY!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Post Thanks / Like

I won't be without my Vetiver. I have the new and old version... Just in case one runs out

Post Thanks / Like

Vetiver, Jicky, Mouchoir de Monsieur, Shalimar, L'Heure Bleu, Mitsouko - you really can't have enough Guerlain.

My absolute favorite is Derby.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    some of the Guerlains are really nice but its difficult to find a place to wear them because they can be so formal and anachronistic. *
    Precisely. Which is why I haven't yet replaced my Heritage since it ran out months and months ago. I will add a Guerlain again but I too don't know which one...

For me, it's Eau de Cologne Impériale. You hardly ever hear about this one, but it is truly a classic. There's a reason it's been around since 1853. It's the best of the citrusy summer colognes, imho. Everyone who likes Hermes Orange Verte, should give CI a try. It's smooth yet sparkly, like a bottle of Dom Perignon. I smell stars!

I don't have a problem with its staying power, but I do splash it on like crazy. That's part of its charm. I feel so profligate when I'm holding that beautiful glass bottle emblazoned with bees (the imperial symbol of the Bonaparte family) while splashing on great handfulls of the juice like there's no tomorrow.

A masterpiece born of a masterpiece:

[move]*Habit Rouge EDP*[/move]

Post Thanks / Like

To the shock and dismay of most Basenoters, I haven't tried a single Guerlain. Yep, it's true. None of the stores here carry Guerlain, well at least they don't have testers. (Blasphemy?! Tell me about it!) So, in Guerlainian terms, I am still a virgin. And a horny one at that. ;D

[move]HABIT ROUGE IN THE LEAD![/move]

Interesting barely anyone has mentioned Derby as their "other" scent. I've checked some websites, and it seems that there's barely any available or at a reasonable price. Didn't Guerlain recently re-release this scent, at least for their flagship boutique in Paris?

Baron, or any others, can you comment on Derby?

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    Interesting no one has mentioned Derby as their "other" scent. I've checked some websites, and it seems that there's barely any available or at a reasonable price. Didn't Guerlain recently re-release this scent, at least for their flagship boutique in Paris?

Can anyone comment on Derby?

I mentioined Derby up above. It's a very refined and quite formal scent - pepper and clove, rose and jasmine, some leather and woods. It a less heady, more masculine and complex cousin of Caron's Poivre. It is impossible to find - I got a decant off the swaplist but I don't think anyone is offering them anymore. I've heard that it's available from the new Paris boutique - can anyone else confirm this?

edit: my quote preserved you're unedited post for posterity

Yeah, I caught it while I was typing my comment [smiley=engel017.gif], so I changed my original post. Haha, too late! But thanks for the info on Derby. My curiousity is piqued with this one!

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by duxie
    To the shock and dismay of most Basenoters, I haven't tried a single Guerlain. Yep, it's true. None of the stores here carry Guerlain, well at least they don't have testers. (Blasphemy?! Tell me about it!) So, in Guerlainian terms, I am still a virgin. And a horny one at that. ;D
    Well, duxie, you'd better start whacking that piece of leather in your back pocket again and get yourself a bottle off the net and bag yourself a Guerlain LOL! ;D

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

Vetiver. It got me hooked on scent and has never released me.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I like Vetiver the most!

Post Thanks / Like

[quote author=duxie link=1127621604/15#19 date=1127683911]To the shock and dismay of most Basenoters, I haven't tried a single Guerlain. Yep, it's true. None of the stores here carry Guerlain, well at least they don't have testers. (Blasphemy?! Tell me about it!) So, in Guerlainian terms, I am still a virgin. And a horny one at that. ;D
    Well, duxie, you'd better start whacking that piece of leather in your back pocket again and get yourself a bottle off the net and bag yourself a Guerlain *LOL! *;D
    [/quote]

OK ˇMaverick, what do you think I should begin with?
    Dusan

You like scents with presence, start off with HR and Heritage...you can get both bottles for around $40 together on ebay.

Haven't had the pleasure of Jicky's acquaintance, but that would be my third choice for reputation's sake of orientals.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Derby

Post Thanks / Like

You like scents with presence, start off with HR and Heritage...you can get both bottles for around $40 together on ebay.

Haven't had the pleasure of Jicky's acquaintance, but that would be my third choice for reputation's sake of orientals.
    Muchas gracias! But what about L'Instant? According to perfume description, it would suit me best.

Don't get me wrong, L'Instant smells great! I love it, but I'm waiting for something with more lasting power like the others...waiting for the EdP. I'm trying to make do with my sample vials until the EdP comes out and probably gonna shell out $100 for a bottle of the stuff.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

L'instant is the only one that I can pull off. It's pretty versatile and can be worn casually as well as formally. Too bad it doesn't last. I'm hoping the new one is actually a stronger version and not a different scent altogether.

I find that L'Instant lasts a very long time. Just today I was flipping through some fashion/design magazines before throwing them away, and I kept getting hit by this great but familiar scent. I even thought, "why does this magazine smell like me?" I kept trying to find the scent strip and realized it was coming from the Hawaiian shirt that I was wearing, accidentally inside out.

I had sprayed L'Instant on my chest two days ago, then put on my work shirt. Had come home that evening, put on the Hawaiian shirt. Then this morning I put the Hawaiian shirt again, the wrong way, and it is still there. 8-)

Post Thanks / Like

Carlos's story reminds me of my experience with L'Instant PH edt. I get extreme duration from it and last winter needed to air out sweaters I'd worn over it (I spray on my skin, not clothes or walk-through) to get the scent out. Not that I'd really want the scent out, L'Instant smells great on clothes and just gets better and better in the sweaters.

When I first sampled L'Instant I thought it a complete letdown though. Three full wearings later I was hooked. Same as when I was in high school and tried Vetiver and Habit Rouge for the first times.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

It would be great if I spray on my clothes, but I rarely ever do now. Learned my lesson when I sprayed my white or black shirt, gone to the night club and saw the spots under a black light. Even worse when I couldn't get the spot off a silk shirt--looked like a permanent sweat stain!

It's a total let down for me when a Guerlain scent disappears completely by the middle of the day.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Coriolan!

If we're talking about male-marketed scents , then Habit Rouge is my vote. [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]
    L'instant men's is a close second , I'm loving this one.

If we're talking about Guerlain in general worn by men , Jicky parfum and Mitsouko would be two extraordinary and very elegant choices.

Just one? Can't do that!!!!
    Vetiver
    Habit Rouge
    Heritage
    L'Instant EdT and EdP Pour Homme
    Jicky
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Jicky, Chamade, Eau du Coq, Shalimar.

Yes I do like this kind of choice CLASSIC

laurent
    Invisible Power

This is easy.

1. Buy them all.

2. Part with NONE!

Griff
    Griff

Extremely tough call between Jicky & Habit Rouge, but I went with Jicky EDT. Jicky wears extrordinarily well on my skin, and I rather enjoy the lavender in this, unlike the lavender in some other frags. Jicky is calming and relaxing to me.

I also love Habit Rouge and have nothing bad to say about it; the EDC is outstanding.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Darkbloom-

Hard to believe that it is available at Sams Club---$24.95
    Almost made me sad as I dropped it into the shopping cart.

Heritage. So GOod

I have two signatures - Vetiver and L'Instant pour homme (don't look at me like that, I can't decide, they are both so good). They both last all day on me, which is a huge bonus. I also really want to try HR, Eau d'Imperiale, Heritage and Mitsouko. I have a feeling I'm going to end up with at least one more signature.

For some reason Guerlain works on me the best, I've tried many other houses/brands but they just don't stand up to Guerlain.

Quote Originally Posted by bakhmet
    For some reason Guerlain works on me the best, I've tried many other houses/brands but they just don't stand up to Guerlain.
    Likewise. L'Instant has become my sig. After spending $$$ on all kinds of designer and niche stuff, even having samples of obscure frags airmailed from France, it is still going to be Guerlain. And the more things I try, the clearer that becomes.

I can't seem to come to terms with Vetiver, smells like dead brown grass to me. *Coriolan screams too much of Coriander, and just lately Heritage has been a happy added favorite. Jicky should be next in line for me.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

[move]HABIT ROUGE IN THE LEAD![/move]

Interesting barely anyone has mentioned Derby as their "other" scent. *I've checked some websites, and it seems that there's barely any available or at a reasonable price. *Didn't Guerlain recently re-release this scent, at least for their flagship boutique in Paris?

Baron, or any others, can you comment on Derby?
    Haven't smelled it in 20 years... Spicy, ambery with cloves. Old fashioned, sharper than Heritage. I thought this to be a generic scent, albeit in a very classy manner, kinda like an AdG for the nineteenforties, the catch here being that it was issued in 1985. Who would want to smell like that in 1985? Patou pour Homme had an edge over it.

Someone commented on these pages how a scent like Dunhill 1934 is still modern. I agree. Derby is the opposite. It was always out of time.

Vetiver.

I revise my last post. Try them all!!!

I've tried a few more, love them all and can't part with any of them. I've come to really respect Guerlain, not only in the scents, but their quality, longevity, the bottle design, and even down to the quality of the spray. However, from reading a lot of posts regarding their scents (and this probably is true for most scents), the scents are really different on different people. I've read a lot about how Habit Rouge is too sweet, or floral, however on me it smells extremely "dry", like wood with a slight touch of vanilla. The nutmeg comes out more for me in Vetiver. Mitsouko is elegantly raw. L'instant makes me smell like fresh chocolate. Coriolan reminds me of walking into a woodworking workshop. Something for every every mood. I think I'm going to get a couple more Guerlains for the holidays.

l'instant

I voted Heritage, but I also love Vetiver and Coriolan (which was discontinued).
    For the feminine ones, if I had to choose only one, I would take Mitsouko. I think it will work well on men too.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

I vote for none here,they have done a few nice womens scents,mostly womens scents,please do us a favor guerlain and keep making perfume,I know I won't
    waste my money on another futile attempt to make a colonge,the only one I can
    even tolerate is heritage(after an hour or so,would not go outside before then),tried time again to like the rouge,awful even layered with a good one.
    I'm having a cologne chucking party,the guerlain is the first on the list,no place in my drobe.
    already chucked the vetiver,hang on...
    just chucked the rouge and heritage too.
    I don't understand the fascination with this line,every time I have worn it I regret it,nothing but bad reactions from the ladies,omg what was he thinking kinda looks,actually had women hold their nose and walk away(and I don't over apply)it is just really awful,don't wear this if you want to get some action guys,get you nowhere.

Coriolan !!!

Thanks for us in Europe, still available!

Post Thanks / Like

Coriolan I'm stocked up on it.

If the poll is restricted to masculine scents, Vetiver.
    If it extends to all Guerlain scents, Mitsouko.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Post Thanks / Like

1. Vetiver
    2. L'Instant
    3. Derby

I bought Derby from the Champs Elysees in a flash glass bottle. I think it was 180 euros. I'm still not sure if it's my kind of scent, but at least it's rare and unique, bold and undeniably masculine, not a fresh or modern fragrance at all!

I agree that Dunhill Original 1934 is probably the best old fashioned fragrance around. My wedding day fragrance. Hmmm....

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Post Thanks / Like

If the poll is restricted to masculine scents - None! I appreciate Vetiver in the sommer only, and I enjoy Derby and l'Instant. But once I have been able to acquire another three or four niches on my list, I shall be running out of days to wear Guerlain in the future.

If the poll extends to all Guerlain scents - Mitsouko, the parfum, and Vol de Nuit. Both are treasures I would not want to be without.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Habit Rouge Leger is really nice.Tad more versatile and mellow than the original.Roland.

Quote Originally Posted by roland
    Habit Rouge Leger is really nice.Tad more versatile and mellow than the original.Roland.
    I TOTALLY AGREE! ;D The original HR is so earthy that it's hard to wear in this day and age. The adjustments to the composition in the Legere is simply the best thing that ever happened to it to create a modern and versatile version!

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

Vetiver. I have it in both the old and the new bottles. They smell very
    nearly the same and both are a joy to wear.