Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions for a slightly less pungent ALLURE?

Hi everybody,

I'm fairly new to fragrance. Currently I have:

212 for Men
    Gendarme
    Higher by Dior
    Bvlgari pour Homme
    Millesime Imperial
    and
    Allure by Chanel

I'm pretty happy with most of them, apart from Gendarme and Higher. Higher I find to completely one-dimensional (and very artificial), while Gendarme smells of nothing but soap.

Bvlgari and MI I bought on Basenotes recommendations, and I think they're lovely fragrances. 212 is also an impressive, urban scent. It was my signature for quite some time. However, the only oriental I have is Allure.

I find Allure quite captivating - it has tremendous staying power, and some delicious notes. However, I do find it somewhat overwhelming, and on occasion it can become rather sickly. Can anyone suggest some orientals that are perhaps a little less strong? Because I don't own others, I'm not sure if Allure is considered a powerful oriental - it is powerful to me though.

I would love to find a fragrance with the projection capability and staying power of an oriental like Allure, but with the daytime wearability of an MI or Bvlgari. Would Creed's Himalaya fit that description? I think for a fragrance to be sexy, you have to reasonably confident that others can actually smell it - and with MI, I'm never sure about that after a couple of hours. With Allure, it's with me until the next morning! It's drydown is so comforting - I love catching a sniff of its basenotes - so warm and masculine.

Thanks in advance for your advice guys.

Sneak

Default Re: Suggestions for a slightly less pungent ALLURE

i haven't tried this myself, but you could consider Allure Homme Sport. i hear it's less cloying.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    i haven't tried this myself, but you could consider Allure Homme Sport. *i hear it's less cloying.
    I agree Sport is just as long lasting but more citurs close to how the women's has the warm citrus notes running through it. Personally I think Sport should have been the first Allure Homme.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Basenotes!!! I agree that Allure is rather a sweet scent, but don't give up on it just yet. Orientals are my favorite fragrances, but it took me a while to get adjusted to heavy ones. You should start with some soft ones first to "break in" your nose. Creed's Himalaya is a good choice, but I don't consider it a pure Oriental. For me, the only sweet part is the topnotes. The drydown is more woody and peppery. It's a good start though. Here are some other good Oriental scents worth mentioning:

Gucci Envy - It's spicy and sweet at the same time. It doesn't have a lot of vanilla or tonka bean like many orientals do. It has cinnamon and nutmeg to contribute to its sweetness. It also has incense but isn't too strong. I find it suitable for romantic occassions. Some say it's too sweet, but it's not as sweet as Allure IMO.

Guerlain L'instant - It's mildly sweet. I find it in the same vein as Envy but a different scent altogether. Many have complained about its lasting power so perhaps you might want to look into the EDP version.

Laguna - It's more salty-sweet than sugary-sweet. It has a tobacco note that tames the sweetness. The vanilla doesn't develop until the end, but stays very subtle and will not overpower. It's a favorite of Milamber, who is one of the Oriental scent kings here on Basenotes. He has a really good review of this scent in the directory.

Paco XS - This one's a winner for me. It's not overly sweet at all and always guarantees me attention. It's very similar off the top to Himalaya IMO, but has a different drydown. I highly recommend this one if you're looking for a mildly sweet scent that still turns heads.

Allure Sport - Hey if you're looking for a less pungent Allure, then why not try the Sport version? It has similarities to the original but it's more fresh.

Once you get to try out more fragrances from this scent category, you might have a different perspective on Allure. If you get the chance to test out A*men, Le Male, Rochas Man, Pi, and New Haarlem, then I suggest you do so. I'm sure after smelling those, Allure will not seem as sweet anymore. Good luck.

Cheers *

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I'd also give a "shout out" to D&G By Man, Versace Dreamer, and Body Kouros. They're also worth looking into.

Thanks for your responses guys.

Teflondog, that was a really considered and helpful reply. Thanks a lot.

From what I've read of A*Men, Le Male etc I had got the feeling they were really sweet. They sound far too potent for me. I'm not a big fan of wafting great plumes of scented, sugary air around me - though just the right amount of projection is necessary.

Do you use fresher fragrances very often? Are there "hybrid" fragrances that combine the best of both worlds? It sounds like Himalaya and XS might be just that sort of scent. Out of interest, do you have reapply Himalaya often throughout the day? Come to think of it, 212 is pretty fresh, and I find that it lasts a long time.

I think I'm starting to get my nose more adjusted to orientals - the idea of using Allure Sport doesn't really appeal to me, as it seems (from the reviews) to be a rather uninspiring scent that many people wear. The fragrance I'm looking for will be realtively uncommon - like the Creed's, I suppose.

Teflondog, do you have a signature fragrance?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sneak
    Teflondog, do you have a signature fragrance? *
    I just recently discovered the beauty of Geir by Geir Ness. I barely purchased it in early September but I've fallen completely in love with it since then. It's a tempermental scent that really depends on your body chemistry to work. Fortunately, it blends well with mine. It's fresh and sweet at the same time so for me that's the best of both worlds. I admit that I wasn't impressed by it the first time. In fact, it was just "ok" to me and it didn't strike me as anything extraordinary. But after wearing it for a week straight, I began to appreciate every minor facet and nuance of this scent. It puts me in a relaxing mood and lifts my spirits so the psychological aspect may be the reason why I love it so much.

However, it's fallen out of favor to some Basenoters because they consider it similar to the drydown of Allure Sport. I'll agree with their similarities to a certain extent, though I find Geir to be much more refined and beautiful. It has potential to be a heavy scent though, so it might not be for you just yet. But who knows, maybe in the future you might want to try it out just for fun.

Before Geir, my signature scent was Chanel Platinum Egoiste. It's more on the fresher, floral, and woody side. It's a bit formal and it smells like something a rich guy would wear. I've outgrown it though since developing a "sweet tooth" for scents.

Before I even got into fragrances, my signature scent was Claiborne Sport. It was during the time when the thought of owning more than one cologne was ridiculous. It's a fresh aquatic scent that has soapy qualities. It's like fresh, clean laundry. It's decent for what it's meant to be. I've gotten a lot of compliments from girls when I wore it during highschool. Longevity and projection is good as well. I prefer it to Acqua Di Gio, even though that's another chick magnet despite its popularity.

There are so many colognes out there that I love discussing. So if you have any questions regarding a scent, I'll be quite happy to chime in with my opinions if I'm familiar with that particular fragrance. *

Edit: Another thread just reminded me of Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme. It's one of the few versatile scents that I own. You can wear it for a day at the park and then reapply for a night of clubbing. Of course you want to adjust your application depending on the situation because it can be quite powerful for casual use. Just to describe what it smells like: it starts off with a sweet citrus/lemon note and then develops into a sweet tobacco while the lemon subsides a bit. It's also woody in the base, which helps it project and last. Whenever I go to frat parties, it's my scent of choice. For some reason, drunk girls are quite fond of it. It's also effective at the night clubs where scent can give you a leg up with the ladies. You know, this just might be your ticket for a fragrance that gives you the best of both worlds. It doesn't hurt to try. It's widely available and can be had for very cheap nowadays.

t. gregory -- not as woody though but one of THE closest to allure homme i've ever smelled

Post Thanks / Like

Miracle Homme fits your description! Also, LV Uomo and MPG Racine are fresh and full bodied at the same time. Considering your taste with fragrances is similar to mine, you would probably NOT like Body Kouros, Pi, Rochas Man or Le Male. To be honest, in a way I do like the way they smell, but just can't wear them.

francois

Other interesting Allure "clones":
    Lalique le Faune
    Palladio

I second L'Instant, it's really mildly sweet and sophisticated. Lasting power is poor, sadly, haven't tried the EdP, but grab one, if you can, you won't regret it!

Post Thanks / Like

Joop! Jump

/mmm

Hey guys, thanks for all your excellent replies.

It sounds like Miracle Homme could well be worth looking into. I've tried L'Instant - not really my cup of tea.

On another note, I tried Burberry Brit for Men today. *At first I didn't know quite what to make of it...after sniffing myself prodigously for an hour or so though, I think I'm hooked! *

I find it to be a quite feminine smell - occasionally I found myself wondering if I'd sprayed the perfume by mistake! *But there's still something quite captivating about it - can't quite put my finger on it. *I think the fact that it's not yet another "fresh, aquatic, bracing" (read: boring) scent, that makes it stand out. *There's also something very sexy about wearing a scent that could perhaps be mistaken for a female fragrance - am I alone in thinking this? *Maybe it's daring somehow? I find powdery scents to be quite "beautiful", if that's the right word. *I'm buying a bottle of Brit tomorrow.

Has anyone had feedback from "significant others" as to whether women find Brit attractive? *It's not my primary concern, though I think it would be a sexy fragrance - I'm yet to hear any women comment on it however. *Opinions, please... *

Sneak

Post Thanks / Like

How about using some other Allure products and skip the spray? The shower gel, deo and a/s balm are good stuff. Any or all may be a little easier on your nose and just what you are looking for.
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

I'll second (or third or whatever) Miracle Homme as an alternative to Allure. I'm also a big fan of Brit. Another one that to my nose has a similar "feel" to Brit, although it doesn't smell the same, is Escada Magnetism, my SOTD.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sneak
    Has anyone had feedback from "significant others" as to whether women find Brit attractive? *It's not my primary concern, though I think it would be a sexy fragrance - I'm yet to hear any women comment on it however. *Opinions, please... *

Sneak
    Every girl that I've asked told me that Brit was their favorite scent out of the Burberry line. It's hard not to like it IMO.

i've only gotten the opinion of one girl on brit. she liked it, but in a general "this smells nice" kind of way.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

You need Minotaure

Post Thanks / Like

If you like Brit, Slightly sweet and powdery scent with rose in it, you MUST try Lorenzo Villoresi's Musk! I'm not saying that it's similar scent, but you know, I'm promoting this scent whenever I get even the slightest chance

It's incredibly beautiful, captivating and even sexy scent. I do like Brit also, but Musk is something so much more to me.

Welcome to basenotes sneak....There are some great fragrances mentioned in all these posts...You'll be busy for a while...so I'll just say welcome and I hope that you find that perfect scent....
    Gary

Hello!

What you are looking for is Dior's Higher Energy. Check out the fragrance notes, its very similar to Allure Homme: Citrus top notes with middle spices and sandalwood drydown.

Here's how it goes: Opens with a citrus grapefruit like Escape for men, quickly turns aromatic like Eternity for men/Platinum Egoiste then settle down to that Allure Homme's signature. Leaving the Grapefruit hovering like an ambient aura with the sweet Allure Homme's woody notes at the core. You will love it, I am an Allure's fan and I know what you meant by that comforting dryout smell, Dior's HE has the same charateristic. However its not as long lasting or strong as Allure.

Hope that helps!

Perry Ellis "m" is one of those Allure clones out there, it lasts rather long, but rather than become too cloying at the end, it's less heavy, becomes more fresh because the ferocity of the vanilla evaporates first before the woods. It's the reverse drydown of Allure.

Allure Sport, IMO is done just right, for a more versatile year round, all occasion scent. I would go for that first.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Jil Sander Man, I'd say that it is something in between Allure and Allure Sport.

Post Thanks / Like

[smiley=smiley_up.gif]Definitely agree on the Sander, perfect description ( I compared the two long ago on my mastodont Similar fragrances thread as well).

MMM

This thread is making me nervous, as a 21 yr old wearer of Allure. Man, I hope that my friends are honest enough that they would tell me if I stink...

Am I completely wrong thinking I can pull this off, particularly in casual environments? I simply think it works in cold weather, and I feel like it fits me, so odds are good I'm sticking with it...

Post Thanks / Like

My wife just loves Brit. Probably of all my scents, it's in her top 5.