Code of Conduct

Default Coffee Gourmand suggestions

Hey guys, this is my first post, but i've been looking around for a while now. Anyway, my question is about coffee scents. I've tried a sample of Wood Coffee (CDG) and love it, I think it's fantastic (even received a compliment during a close encounter so to speak). Basically the only thing holding me back from buying it right now is the fact that I haven't tried New Haarlem nor Vanille Mohka (CSP). Are either of those significantly better (I know the Vanille Mohka is slightly cheaper by volume)? should I hold out and try to purchase samples or decants of them (unless you suggest buying one of them blind outright if one's so good), or should I just go ahead and get Wood Coffee because I'm sold on it anyway? Thanks for any input, love this message board.
    -peace

Default Re: Coffee Gourmand suggestions

welcome. it probably doesn't answer your specific question, but there was recently a thread on coffee scents that you may be interested in (in case you haven't seen it).

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1131224349
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I wore New Haarlem on one arm last night and Wood Coffee (both from samples) on the other to compare. I was impressed with Wood Coffee (i received that sample first) until I smelled New Haarlem. New Haarlem is magnificent! Wow! Wood Coffee speaks "wood and coffee". New Haarlem shouts "COFFEE AND WOOD!" But it does it without being obnoxious. It is not overly sweet. Was my SOTD today. I can't stop sniffing my wrist. Doesn't last as long as i would like though.

~Mad

Quote Originally Posted by IMCS614
    Basically the only thing holding me back from buying it right now is the fact that I haven't tried New Haarlem nor Vanille Mohka (CSP). *
    If you want to sample New Haarlem, then walk into a Starbucks coffee shop during a busy day. The aroma of brewing coffee and sweet mocha will give you some idea of what it smells like. I used to work at Starbucks and when I first smelled New Haarlem, it gave me instant deja vu.

Welcome to Basenotes

so basically what you're saying is find a way to try New Haarlem before jumping the gun on Wood Coffee? Thanks for the replies so quickly.
    -Ian

so basically what you're saying is find a way to try New Haarlem before jumping the gun on Wood Coffee? *Thanks for the replies so quickly.
    -Ian
    It's always good to try all the options.

Worst case scenario: You buy Wood Coffee. The next day you sample New Haarlem. You like New Haarlem way more. You kick yourself in the ass while saying "I should've bought New Haarlem instead!"

I've done this a few times and regretting a purchase is one of the worst feelings ever. I suggest you order samples of them online. Then you can compare them side by side. They're not discontinued so you don't have to rush in buying one anytime soon. It's worth the wait IMO.

cool - thanks, that's a good way of looking at it.
    Now on to try to find samples online...

cool - thanks, that's a good way of looking at it.
    Now on to try to find samples online...
    www.aedes.com
    www.luckyscent.com

There are others but i can't name them from the top of my head. Check the shopping guide section on the board.

http://scentmonkey.com/try-before-buy.php

I found that a few days ago.

Wood Coffee isn't even close to being in the same league as New Haarlem.
    NH BLOWS WC away. Its very long lasting (all day) on me.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Wood Coffee is a SUPERSTAR
    New Haarlem is SUPER-DUPER-DUPER-STAR!

It's rare that a scent seems to garner almost universal praise like New Haarlem. I happened to find NH when Bond first came out and knew it stood out right away. I made it my first and only Bond purchase.

Buy NH and enjoy an incredible, highly original and complex scent that truly defines what a masterful fragrance should be.

- Brad
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I just got a sample of NH and by far that is the best Coffee scent I've ever smelled in my life, not to mention longest lasting because it is after all an EdP! Rochas Man comes second, being quite similar, only that you have to wait a little before the coffee note becomes apparent. If you can afford it, NH otherwise Rochas Man is good as well.

I myself gotta scrape my penny jar for a bottle...hope I can find a 50 ml somewhere because I'd be committing suicide for the 100 ml.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Serge Lutens Arabie.

Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Cafe Noir is quite a Connosieur Choice.
    Strange nobody mentioned this fabulous US frag yet.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I tried Wood Coffee yesterday and oh my is it ever good. But if New Haarlem is so much better I guess I have no other choice than to sample it as well ;D

Gotta second moon_fish here about that DSH Cafe Noir. Tremendous effort in the coffee category. Almost chicory-bitter and black-brewed, it is a java scent to be reckoned with.

Also worthy of note is the new Sonoma Scent Studio Cafe Noir (same name, diff game); this is fuzzier and a bit sweeter, and a long-finished skin scent.