Code of Conduct

Default Creed Vetiver (1948) VS Creed Original vetiver

Hi i,m not fan of Vetiver fragances,but today i revisited Creed Vetiver (1948) and smell better that i think in the past. Finally some Creed arrive at my city and last weekend and had the opportunity in try Original vetiver,not very impressed. But ok this is the questions:

In theory creed vetiver (1948) and original vetiver (2004) have the same formulation?

which is his opinions about this both? who like more and why?

is avalaible in this moment the Creed Vetiver 48? *like this the bottle of Creed vetiver (48)? is possible if i find this is my fragance for christmas.

PD:anybody can post a pic from Creed Vetiver (1948) bottle
    thanks in advance
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Default Re: Creed Vetiver (1948) VS Creed Original vetiver

I have owned both and both were pretty good IMO. However, the 1948 Vetiver gave me a headache for some reason.
    The bottle for the 1948 is just a plain 2.5oz like the rest....just with the label of Vetiver. (I think all the 2.5oz edt are all the same bottles)

I slightly prefer Vetiver 1948 as it is sharper and more metallic. It is actually made from the root of the vetiver whilst Original Vetiver is derived from the leaves, thereby accounting for the dramatic difference in drydown.

I dont have alot of experience with 48...
    I DO LOVE O.V.

I'm waiting for a sample of OV and am working on getting a sample of vetiver '48. I'm pretty anxious to test them both out.
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

You cannot go wrong with either one for daily wear.

Original Vetiver to me is thisclose to Mugler Cologne. I happen to like Mugler more (at a fraction of the cost of OV).

1948 is in a league of it's own. It's classy, versatile, long lasting (on me anyway) and everytime I wear it I tell myself I should be wearing it more often. An outstanding scent...

I prefer 1948. Just smells classier and more complete.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by Dry_Martini View Post
    Hi i,m not fan of Vetiver fragances,but today i revisited Creed Vetiver (1948) and smell better that i think in the past. Finally some Creed arrive at my city and last weekend and had the opportunity in try Original vetiver,not very impressed. But ok this is the questions:

In theory creed vetiver (1948) and original vetiver (2004) have the same formulation?

which is his opinions about this both? who like more and why?

is avalaible in this moment the Creed Vetiver 48? *like this the bottle of Creed vetiver (48)? is possible if i find this is my fragance for christmas.

PD:anybody can post a pic from Creed Vetiver (1948) bottle
    thanks in advance
    The 1948 and 2004 versions DO NOT have the same formulations.

The 1948 version is vetiver, ginger, cedar. Those are the only notes that are listed.

Original Vetiver from 2004 has Ginger, mandarin, bergamot, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Iris.

The 1948 has the vetiver much more dominant and therefore can be considered a more purist vetiver fragrance.

Original Vetiver uses vetiver in a more subdued (some could say "more modern") role, balanced by the rest of the notes.

I happen to like them both almost equally, but for completely different reasons, and would wear them in different circumstances. 1948 is more sophisticated and classy. OV is more fresh and playful.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

All the Creed talk is wearing on me but nonetheless, I feel compelled to offer up my opinion. There is a mineral quality to be found in 48 that is divine. The blend of Citrus and woods is impecable. The vetiver source comes from the root some tucked in all that fresh beauty is a tinge of earthiness waiting to come out.

The vetiver note in OV is a fresher take as the essence was not extracted from the root that my nose can detect. Saying that is resembles MC is true to a certain degree and it a comparison that is beaten with a dead horse and then ran over with a truck.

My personal take on it is, they are different; completely different so you can own both and not feel like you have bought the same fragrance. Do I own either one? No, but I use to. Honestly, I wore the 48 more.

I am currently wearing a sample of Orignal Vetiver right now, and I'm toying with a purchase. I wish I could smell Vetiver and Original Vetiver side by side but unfortunently in Alaska I have very little access to any fragrances other than Nordstrom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post

Ged
    i agree, the 1948 or the JFK vetiver as some call it, is the only vetiver i have ever liked the new one cannot compare.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    i agree, the 1948 or the JFK vetiver as some call it, is the only vetiver i have ever liked the new one cannot compare.
    It is one of my favorite Creed scents.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    mine too, you better get it while you can they have shut down production.

mine too, you better get it while you can they have shut down production.

double post sorry

I like the old 1948 Vetiver, but I love Original Vetiver. Though I like both scents, I don't think either of them are good vetiver scents, however. I don't smell much vetiver in either of them, especially the 1948.

Vetiver 1948 smells to me like a good old-school leather fragrance with just a tiny hint of vetiver in the background. Original Vetiver is an outstanding green citrus scent with some vetiver in the heart accord.

For me, I find the 1948 Vetiver to be refreshing, in part due to the integration of ginger. For me, it is a "pick me up" fragrance.

I did not know it was out of production. I do have enough to last a good while.

For me, I find the 1948 Vetiver to be refreshing, in part due to the integration of ginger. For me, it is a "pick me up" fragrance.

I did not know it was out of production. I do have enough to last a good while.
    they stopped producing it, it will take time until you do not see it on the shelves though so if you want more go get it now. i was able to buy a bottle , even though i only own 1 bottle of it i take care of my colognes and i am conservative with the sprays. it is a great fragrance.

I got to try the Vetiver 48 today. Its a pretty magical fresh scent.

Quote Originally Posted by swestre View Post
    I got to try the Vetiver 48 today. Its a pretty magical fresh scent.
    get it while you can, when it is gone it is gone.

Have both, but I like the more current one better.

I have a full bottle of 48 and just purchased another one since it's discontinued. Wore it out last night to a club and got several positive comments, it truly is amazing. I can't believe Creed discontined this masterpiece, what a shame...

Personally, I would like to see a genuine Creed bottle from 1948.

I suspect there aren't any and I think we all know why.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Basenotes Institution

I am wearing Vetiver (1948) today from a sample (1st time) and I am pleasantly surprised - IMO it's absolutely nothing like the Original Vetiver - the balance of the ingredients and the way the vetiver peeks out back-and-forth from the other ginger and wood notes is brilliant. I'm also fairly certain I've never smelled a fragrance like this, and that is rare considering most vetiver scents end up reminding me of another vetiver scent I've worn. Not sure if it's FBW, but I'm so glad that I finally got a chance to smell it.

Does anyone smell a vague connection to this and Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic by Lancome (the fresh green that Kurkdjian is the nose for?)
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Vetiver 48 by far

I like them both. One is quite clean, modern and soapy. One is distinctive, elegant and very "Mad Man" like. I understand the doubts about when and where Creed scents may have been readily available, but Vetiver '48 has a very old school feel to it for sure. Whenever it was developed, it certainly channels a manly elegance long gone in most modern scents.

Creed '48 is fantastic, very green, grassy and fresh and surprisingly quite rich and heavy for that particular genre. Very rare to find a scent of 48's quality these days. I like it a lot.

Original Vetiver is a completely different scent.

A quick note for those near Toronto, the Yonge & Bloor Holt Renfrew has one 250ml flacon of Vetiver left, its very hard to find on the internet and its not available at the Creed website.

That being said, I prefer the 1948 version, although the Iris note in OV is awesome.

They're both very much worth having. Vetiver 48 has retro suave vibe to it and shares that attribute with Floris Vetiver. Original Vetiver is currently the workhorse/ default scent of mine and I like to wear it very liberally. There is a seller of Creed flacons on ebay right now (sarafankit) OV is less than $195.00 shipped in US/ Canada for a 250ml flacon--about 1/2 price! The flacon I received a few weeks ago was from 2010 and is very good.

Martin

The 48 is the best Vetiver for me!! Unfortunately Creed has been discontinued it, and now is very difficult to find it in Italy! I bought the last 2 8.4 oz bottle and 1 2.5!! OV is a very good fragrance, nothing compare the 48 vetiver!! For only 30 € I bought Mugler cologne, to me a very good alternative!! Longevity is great (48). It lasts on my skin for 8/10 h, OV only 3/4!!
    Francesco

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

At this point I have 3 of the 2.5 oz vetiver 48, smells so good. I have had a few other vetivers in my life but nothing like this. I hope I can someday find something similar but who knows.

I like freshness of Original Vetiver better and I think it's more versatile.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Original Vetiver is a good sporty green scent, totally non-offensive and good as a daily wearer. OV to my nose is juicier than the 48.

Creed Vetiver 48 is likewise a scent that can be worn for any occasion. It starts off bright green then settles into a dry ginger/Vetiver root scent with better than average longevity and sillage. I think the dryness and mineral quality of 48 comes from the use of Vetiver root as opposed to the leaf, making it more powerful and suave, with a touch of old world dirtiness that I'm coming to enjoy much more than modern clean scents, Vetiver 48 by a landslide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post

Ged
    This is the way I feel also!!!
    Gary

I don't think Ive smelt a more classy vetiver scent in my life than 48! Original Vetiver is definitely more modern and is a terrific scent but 48 just oozes class and sophisication. I hope they re release it sometime down the road.

I like them both, but they are worlds apart. To my nose, Original Vetiver is largely based on a combination of contemporary musks, while the 1948 is, well, old school.

If one buys a 250ml flacon of Creed cologne, how would he apply it since there's no sprayer? A small decant? Forgive me for getting off message but I'm new to this and really curious.

Hi cadenz, and welcome to BN.

Yes, unfortunately, the Creed flacons have no sprayer. Therefore, you must buy a separate atomizer to decant it into, and of course, that atomizer can be any size you like.

Slightly off-topic question: I only know OV and adore it, so what are the odds I might like the 1948 vetiver?

Thanks!

If you are a fan of Original Vetiver, the only way to descibe their comparisons is original Vetiver to me is a wonderful refreshing light fragrance suited more for daytime wear, and Vetiver 48 is more serious,distinquished and to me a more formal fragrance. Both are Beautiful fragrances from the house of Creed.