Code of Conduct

Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

Hello all! I've been reading basenotes for a few weeks now and really enjoy all the opinions and insights of you guys.
    I started collecting colonges about a month ago, and it has become a rather expensive obsession for me. :

Currently I have:
    Versace Black Jeans
    Gucci Envy
    YSL M7 (my current fav)
    Armani Armani
    Ck One
    Fahrenheit (doesnt last long on me, glad i only got a mini)

What other colonges would you guys recommend to add to my collection?

I'm thinking Gucci PH, either Amen or HM edp, and something soapy/fresh.

Thanks in advance!

-Zomad

Default Re: Hello!

welcome to basenotes, everyone has different tastes, so instead of asking us to reccomend specific colognes, you should experiment with some of the houses yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zomad
    I started collecting colonges about a month ago, and it has become a rather expensive obsession for me. *:

What other colonges would you guys recommend to add to my collection?

Thanks in advance!

-Zomad
    LOL...this is an expensive "Obsession" indeed.

If there's a Sephora near you, i recommend you stop by and test two frags. per day. Only your nose can tell you what you like!

And welcome, Nomad! It's all downhill *for your sanity and credit cards from here!! ;D
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I started collecting colonges about a month ago, and it has become a rather expensive obsession for me. *:
    -Zomad
    Welcome Zomad. *Hide your credit cards now and then run the other way! *[smiley=lolk.gif]

Thanks for the welcomes

I'm rather fortunate/unfortunate that I'm a college student without a car. I guess that sort of prevented me from going off campus and go on a shopping/sampling spree.

I've ordered samples for Gucci PH, Amen, Burb Brit, and Rive Gauche from ScentMonkey, but they haven't arrive yet (been over a week alrdy :-/)

-Zomad

Thanks for the welcomes

I've ordered samples for Gucci PH, Amen, Burb Brit, and Rive Gauche from ScentMonkey, but they haven't arrive yet (been over a week alrdy *:-/)

-Zomad

Welcome, Zomad. You've picked a good bunch of samples--enjoy!

Welcome...and enjoy!

Welcome. If it helps, don't consider it an expensive obsession, rather a relatively expensive investment.
    Renato

Welcome Zomad! Nice chices for a newcomer!

Welcome to Basenotes!!! Nice selection of samples. It sucks that you haven't received them yet, but here's my personal take on them:

Gucci PH - This one is really dry and woody. Cedar is the prominent note I get from it. Upon first sniff I was uphauled by its resemblance to pencil shavings, but I later came to appreciate it. The drydown is the best part IMO because the wood softens up and gives way to a slight vanillic sweetness. Although other Basenoters complain about it being short lived, I personally find it to be one of the longest lasting fragrances.

A*men - This one generates a lot of mixed responses. It smells bitter and sweet at the same time. It has tar, coffee, and chocolate so you could imagine how complex it is. The secret to this scent is that it smells a lot different in the air than on your skin. The scent that it projects in the air smells very sweet and smooth. If you smell it directly on the point of application, it smells bitter and earthy. This definitely needs skin for it to come alive. Spraying your clothes won't allow it to develop or open up IMO. One word of caution though...this is one of the strongest fragrances made. It can fill up an entire room and usually lasts on my skin until the next day. You definitely do not want to go overboard on this one.

Burberry Brit - This is my favorite from the Burberry line. I'm not too keen on rose notes but the sweetness in this balances it out just right for me. It starts off very light and then I start to get a gingerbread sweetness that reminds me of Christmas. It's kind of like a freshly baked gingerbread house. Despite its sweetness, it manages to stay light and fresh so it never becomes cloying, unlike the atomic strength of A*men.

Rive Gauche - This is a masculine scent that I chose not to buy after testing it. It wasn't sweet enough for my tastes and I couldn't picture myself wearing it at my age (I'm a 21 yr old college student). I know scents aren't subjected to any age, but I can't pull this one off just yet since my usual attire consists of jeans and a white Hanes t-shirt. I think I'll come back to it maybe ten years down the road. All in all it's a well blended scent. YSL scents have always struck me as finely crafted.

Good luck and don't forget to post your thoughts and comments once your samples arrive. Cheers *

Hey Zomad!!

Welcome! My advice would be to utilize Basenotes as a guide for which fragrances to sample. Soon, you will identify particular users with similar tastes, and will find that their wardrobes will be a good place to start. Also, you'll find that purchasing decants will save you loads of money, so you don't have to be rich to experience artisinal fragrances.

I see that you own Envy and M7, which are two of my favorites. I'd suggest sampling:

~ Gucci PH
    ~ Azzaro Visit
    ~ L'Artisan Passage D'Enfer
    ~ YSL Jazz
    ~ YSL Live Jazz (more for warm weather)

Have fun!!

If you're considering something soapy/fresh, I really like Creed Himalaya. It starts off fresh and soapy, then becomes warm, yet still fresh, then becomes incense-y and sensual on the drydown. Good for all 4 seasons, and for all occasions, formal or casual. Try picking up a decant of the stuff. I think you'll be impressed.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Thanks again for the welcomes and suggestions!

M7 and Envy were bought blind after reading serveral reviews/posts on BN, and they worked out pretty well. I bought cK One, Armani PH, Fahrenheit, and Black Jeans based on previous experience (which was practically none) and recommendations from other sources. They were ok, but def not as deep/sophiscated as M7/Envy.

While I was setting up my BN wardrobe, I noticed that most of the frag I have don't last very long on me. Even with a 2~3 sprays to neck areas and 1 spray to each wrist, after 1 hour or so I couldn't sniff the scent unless I sniff really close to the application spots. I think it's probably coz I have dry skin. Is there any method to make the scents last longer? (aside from layering with aftershave/lotion).

-Zomad

Is there any method to make the scents last longer? (aside from layering with aftershave/lotion).

-Zomad

I've said it a gizzilion times, and I'll say it again. Kiehl's unscented body wash. Works great for dry skin, and I really do believe that the olive oil that's in it helps fragrances last longer on the skin.

#

Welcome to Insanity Central, my good man!!

Ha ha!! Just joshing!! Hope you enjoy you time here with us. This is a great place to be!

Hey! Did you say soapy/fresh? Hmmm.....I've always loved Gendarme. Not "soapy" per se, but fresh and citrus-y!! Also try out Thierry Mugler Cologne! I just tried some out myself and it's waaaaaay soapy and fresh!!

Have fun!!