Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Snappy Answers to Stupid SA Questions

I never worked in retail, but I've been on the front lines in hotels and restaurants and you guys are cracking me up! I think, though that some of you are too hard on the SAs who are under informed. I can't imagine they are paid enough to take the job so seriously that they would go out of their way to educate themselves. It is the merchant that bears the responsibility of assuring that they have a knowledgable staff that is reasonably compesated for their interest and understanding of the product they sell. Uneducated SAs are the result of shortsighted management. The kids are just trying to make a living. That said, once they get rude or snoby they're dead meat in my book. I'd rather have a clueless SA doing his or her best than a well informed bitch acting like I am distracting her from her duties.

Quote Originally Posted by RitaMae
    Me: Know what you do next after the SA has insulted you?
    SA: Pardon me?
    Me: You put down the fragrance, and you simply walk out the door and POOF! End of sale!
    call me a sadist, or a bully for picking on those trapped in shitty retail jobs, but it has gotten to the point where I get off on walking out. Thre are enough frag stores around, not to mention internet and sell/swaps, that if an SA makes me put up with ANYTHING, I get rude as hell. Her job is t make me want to spend money, period. Turning to chat with a friend, ignoring my VERY informed opinion and directing me toward the new crap for 20-somethings, etc., these are all grounds for me to pick up my bag and walk out, mid-sentence. I love it. Im a tough customer, I know it, but places with good employees get many hundreds of dollars of return business from me, so if your "customer service" makes me roll my eyes, I'm happy to be "that asshole hotshot who thought he was too cool"

Basenotes Plus

SA: Hi, can i help you there?
    Me: I'm looking for M7
    SA: Cool, my husband drives a M5, it's really nice
    Me: oookk, where's your Rive Gauche?
    SA: Who? Never heard of him
    Me: Reeeeve Gaaauuuche, yah know?
    SA: Is that French?
    Me: No, it's Chinese!!!
    SA: Sorry I dont know any Chinese
    Me: Nevermind *grins*
    SA: what type of scents do you usually like to wear
    Me: mostly orientals
    SA: sorry, this is North America
    Me: Really?.....I thought i was in China
    Current top 5:
    1. MDCI Chypre Palatin
    2. Guerlain Arsene Lupin (Dandy)

3. Roja Dove Enigma Parfum Pour Homme
    4. Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait
    5. Puredistance Black

haha, was that a hypothetical convo or did that actually happen HackerX?

Blog Entries

LOL!!! I'm glad this thread has been brought back. Just yesterday I was in Halls and for giggles I was sniffing some of the deoderant sticks in some of the frags I was already familiar w/. A SA ran up to me and said "Oh honey! Are you looking for something for your boyfriend (shudder)? Here, what you do is you take one of these cards, spray a little on the card and then smell it. Be sure to keep the card separated though or the scents will mingle." Ugh. I was so taken aback I just stared at him for a couple seconds and said "Oh my God! Thank you! I can't believe I've been doing it wrong all this time!" in an overly sarcastic voice. I then put down the deo stick I had been sniffing and walked out of the store.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    LOL!!! I'm glad this thread has been brought back. Just yesterday I was in Halls and for giggles I was sniffing some of the deoderant sticks in some of the frags I was already familiar w/. A SA ran up to me and said "Oh honey! Are you looking for something for your boyfriend (shudder)? Here, what you do is you take one of these cards, spray a little on the card and then smell it. Be sure to keep the card separated though or the scents will mingle." Ugh. I was so taken aback I just stared at him for a couple seconds and said "Oh my God! Thank you! I can't believe I've been doing it wrong all this time!" in an overly sarcastic voice. I then put down the deo stick I had been sniffing and walked out of the store.
    Haha. I wonder who got the better laugh: the SA and his buddies, or Bnoters on this board.

[QUOTE=Joel_Cairo]call me a sadist, or a bully for picking on those trapped in shitty retail jobs...

Ok, J.C. you're a sadist AND a bully. If you want to get off on belittling someone because of lousey and/or incompetent service, head straight for the department manager and tell them everything they are doing wrong and how much of your money they are losing ( that is, if you really intended to spend your money there in the first place, vs. just had some free time to be a big asshole in a small pond.) If you have any guts at all, you'll step up to a person with real power when you have something to say. I think it's pathetic that a person would actually make a sport of throwing his weight around in a department store, regardless of the quality of service.

Not every SA is as enlightened as the basenoters here!

Glad to see this thread back alive.
    "The stench / The stench / Of summer sex / And CK Eternity / Oh hell, yes"
    -Fall Out Boy, from "Uma Thurman"

I used to be, as many of you know, a vendor for Aramis, and right after the launch of Sean John's Unforgiveable I went over to another store in the mall to see if they had anything new or different. There was another Aramis vendor there who tried to push the Unforgiveable on me, but she said, "Would you like to try Unforgiven?" I couldn't help but think to myself, "you might sell more if you knew the bloody name."

I understand it can be pretty frustrating from the customer's stand point, but it's just as bad if not worse if you're in the business and see/hear this crap going on.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.