Code of Conduct

Default Sandalwood Heavyweights: Santal Nobel vs Trumpers

First of all, Sandalwood is probably my very favorite scent.

My impressions on the ones I am familar with:

1) Santal by Floris: Tops. Rich, long-lasting, with just the right amount of spices that give it a slighly "hot" quality.

2) AOS. Stings my skin upon application which is an analogy of the smell itself, which to me is very sharp, cold, brittle and one-dimensional. I know a lot of people like it, though, and I should give it another shot.

3) Santal by Florascent: well, I haven't stuck my head inside the tree, but this one smells very "real" to me. A bit sharp but not as much as AOS. Very nice.

Now, for the heavyweights and the two that get most mentioned when the sandalwood topic comes up: Santal Nobel by MPG and Trumper's Sandalwood.

For starters, these are similar in the fact that they are both very rich and creamy, which I love. I just got Trumper's in the mail last night so I've only worn it once. The notes listed are surprisingly more than what I would have guessed, so it's not a "pure" sandalwood, but the notes that are in it add up to a very, very staisfying sandalwood experience.

The MPG is a much loved fragrance and rightly so--but for me, it has a fatal flaw, which is poor longetivity. I don't know if I'm alone on this, but I barely get an hour out of it before it's gone. Reminds me of most L'Artisan frags. My apologies to Julian who recently named this the best scent in the new B'Notes 2006 award poll.

So, overall, here are my rankings:

#1: Trumper's
    #2 A tie between Floris Santal and Florascent Santal
    #3 MPG Santal Nobel
    #4 Art of Shaving. It Burns, It Burns!

I think Etro makes a very nice one also.

Are there any other goodies I have missed, and what are your favorite sandalwoods?

Default Re: Sandalwood Heavyweights: Santal Nobel vs Trump

Tam Dao, LV's Sandalo, Floris Sandalwood to name a few. I thought Montale's Sandalsliver was probably one of their better offerings and worth a try as well.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Nice reviews, but I don't think Floris Santal actually contains any sandalwood :-?
    Tam Dao is definitely a must try.

Santal Noble doesn't last? Your bottle is broken. Maybe. I'm always surprised by different experiences of longevity. Santal Noble lasts all day long on me. It's a brute.

As to your question - Tam Dao is a must try.

Quote Originally Posted by baron
    Santal Noble doesn't last? Your bottle is broken. Maybe. I'm always surprised by different experiences of longevity. Santal Noble lasts all day long on me. It's a brute.
    I'm with baron on this. SN lasts all day+ on me. In fact, I tend to go easier on the application with this one than many of my others.

Tam Dao smelled mainly of cedar to me, not sandalwood. Etro is excellent. Santal Noble is girthier and very nice aside from the coffee not -ugh. L'Artisan's Santal is a favorite of mine, but I'm not sure I'd classify it as a heavyweight. It's very straightforward lime, lavender, and sandalwood...very light and pleasing but it does last on me. Mysore sandalwood tends to be much heavier to my nose, so perhaps that is what you are in the market for. If so, Crabtree and Evelyn has a Mysore line that is quite hefty and priced reasonably. I personally find mysore a bit over the top...like my sandalwood not quite so....thick.

Helmut Lang - Cuiron
    Dorissima - Narziß

I love them, 'nuff said.

I had a bottle of Santal Noble that I swapped with another basenoter.

I couldn't wear it.. it was too musty, like an old dusty wooden box... it almost made me sick to my stomach.

I get a nice sandalwood drydown from Passage d'Enfer. I find it quite similar to Tam Dao, which is another beautiful scent. However, I find that sandalwood doesn't last as long as other woods such as cedar.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    Helmut Lang - Cuiron

I've seen some peculiar descriptions of fragrances floating around the boards recently, but this one really has me puzzled. Sandalwood in Cuiron? I'd believe that about as much as I'd believe Pepsi signing a multi-million dollar endorsement contract with Michael Jackson. Eeee-heee. ;D
    The Bark Bites Back.

I'm with The Bark. Don't get sandalwood. After five minutes, actually, I don't get much of anything. That would probably explain its presence on my swaplist.