Code of Conduct

Default What are transparent musks??

My SOTD was Azzaro Chrome and on the bottle it lists the composition as having "transparent musks"---what is a transparent musk???? Thanks for any info.

Default Re: What are transparent musks??

Excellent question, I'm kind of curious myself. Generally, I'm under the impression that these are basically names for invented synthetic notes that the fragrance companies come up with. Look at some of the notes in CK and Claiborne scents.....they're a hoot.

I've noticed that with scents whose notes include "transparent musk", I don't detect any trace of musk in them at all. Perhaps because it's transparent? Acqua Di Gio is another one that lists transparent musk as a basenote, although I only get fruity melon and citrus.

I don't know, but it might have something to do with the white musk you can find in Mugler Cologne, Bulgari Pour Homme, cK One and Be. Base of these fragrances is alike to chrome. To my nose it has nothing to do with the full bodied musk you can smell in Villoresi Musk or Malles Musc Ravageur.

I still can't precise how musk smells like exactly. I've already bought some musk incense and they smell sweet and a little powdery indeed, but some fragrances that are supposed to have a lot of musk, as Monsieur "Musk", don't smell sweet at all...
    So, I don't know... Can anyone help me out?

My guess is that transparent musk is an accord of musk, lightly played, and ozonic notes. then they call it transparent musk so as not to scare customers away who are looking for something light. There's a lot of different musk aroma-chemicals (cashmeran, velvione, galaxolide etc.) but they're not transparent, white, egyptian, grey or japanese etc. in themselves.

I don't know what pure natural musk smells like either, but the most typical musk note I get from Serge Luten's Muscs Koublaļ Khan. Put it on, wait an hour to let the furry poo waft away and you're left with a pure, strong musk note.

"White" musks, like the one from the Body Shop, are mostly categorised as aldehydic floral musks.

I don't think there is a real intrinsic defintion for these types of musk: transparent, light, sheer. However, when I read that in a description I tend to translate it as very, very light...not the thick, 70s style musk. I like both types depedning on my mood. A very interesting and different musk if you like woody fragrances is Etro's version. Really cedary and clean but with a definite 'transparent' musk thing going on. Conversely, Villoresi's musk is certainly soft, but not at all what I would call 'transparent'. It got a thick, blankety feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    I still can't precise how musk smells like exactly. I've already bought some musk incense and they smell sweet and a little powdery indeed, but some fragrances that are supposed to have a lot of musk, as Monsieur "Musk", don't smell sweet at all...
    So, I don't know... Can anyone help me out? *
    Go find a bottle of Jovan musk and take a whiff. Once you've smelled an intense musk like this, it's unmistakeable when you run across it elsewhere. Very animalic. I recently got a sample of SL's Clair de Musc, and there it was again.

Transparent musk comes from the elusive invisible musk deer in Tibet. The deer, once caught and relieved of its musk pods, also grants three wishes. But I am reluctant to believe this part. Sounds a little wishy washy to me. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    So, I don't know... Can anyone help me out? *
    The sweetness/powder you're smelling is from the incense itself, not the musk scent that is added. Pure musk is not sweet at all.

I think the only way to really know what it smells like is to acquire pure deer musk and take a whiff.

Thanks for the replies!!! I think I kind of understand what is meant by transparent musks now----it's there but it won't hit you in the face. Hmmmm.....

Sanzio

Natural musk tincture is sweet, urine-like and somewhat medicinal. But I guess it smells this way because it is highly diluted since raw musk is a very animalic and obnoxius scent as pure civet (fecal-acidic-amoniacal) and castoreum (smoky-chypre-leather) are, if indiluted. Ambergris is the only pleasant at 100%. Transpant musk is a synthetic musk note as that found in Calvin Klein's CK BE reminescent of the smell of clean human skin.