Code of Conduct

Default Our beloved Havana has a dirty little secret....

Montana Parfum d'Homme by Montana---1989
    Havana by Aramis---1994

Havana is a near clone of Montana, and I never noticed it until Ballard sent me a bottle of Montana. There are minor differences, with Montana having more of a fruit note to it and perhaps a softer drydown, but overall the similarity is at least 80% and enough to make me lose some respect for Havana. I love the smell but I hate copy cat fragrances.

Anyone else notice this?

Default Re: Our beloved Havana has a dirty little secret..

Interesting....

Is there enough of a difference between the two to warrant owning both?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Yes, you're 100% right, but Havana didn't lose respect for me.

The Montana Parfum d'Homme gained some!!

They share similarities. The Montana lacks the bay-rum completely. Havana is a cousin of New West IMO, but New West and the Montana have nothing in common at all.
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I've read posts about the similarities between these two although I've never gotten the chance to sample Montana's scent. How do they compare in longevity and sillage? And which would you say is the better scent overall? If it is indeed true that Havana copied it, I don't necessarily consider it a bad thing. For example, Bond No. 9 has similar scents to Creed but Bond has managed to do them better IMO.

For the record, I prefer the Montana because on my skin and with my body chemistry the fruit and spices seem to 'pop' more and make it a bit warmer. Also, the longevity and sillage on me is better with Montana. In Havana the tobacco note is more prominent, but these days when I want a good tobacco note Havana isn't what I turn to.

So, if you want spice, get Montana, if you want tobacco and bay rum, go for Havana.

rite on,thanks for the info,montana just jumped to next on my list to check out.

To me they are vaguely similar. To suggest that a label known for its originality like Aramis decided to "copy" another fragrance and further decided to add, of all things, tobacco and rum so it would not be recognized as a copy is absurd. These two fragrances may be in the same family overall, but they are no more similar than hundreds of others that we have discussed here. They are both in my top ten and both warrant owning.

Default Re: Our beloved Havana has a dirty little secret....

It also seems that they are both quite valuable items:Montana Parfum D' Homme is probably harder to get than Havana...It has been completely disappeared from retail many years ago and you see bottles very rarely pop at ebay.
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

I agree with Dr. Creed -- the Parfum d'Homme lacks all the bay rum, and (I add) the tobacco notes. Otherwise, they are kissing cousins, true. (And that's an homage to both classics.) Also, both were STUPIDLY discontinued.

I've tested them both, but ended up buying Montana D'Homme. Havana is great, but Montana is the bomb, or at least for me.

nearfantastica

I recently discovered the Montana gem and was lucky enough to purchase a bottle from a fellow basenoter. I agree that there are quite striking similarities between the two, but I find Montana the more versatile of the two fragrances. I find it to be a brighter, crisper version of Havana.. and a lot lighter too. Don't get me wrong, I "love" the Aramis fragrance, but it smacks you around, where as Montana offers you a playful love tap...

It's odd, I would consider Havana the better of the two fragrances, but I could see myself reaching for my bottle of Montana far more often. Take that for what it's worth.

a.

Montana Parfum D' Homme is GREAT. Think i'll start wearing it more often...

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    For example, Bond No. 9 has similar scents to Creed but Bond has managed to do them better IMO.
    If by that you mean that they are slightly longer lasting. Bond has yet to best SMW/MI or Erolfa, for that matter....imo.
    -

I had Havana and swapped it away. The bay rhum was too much for me. Much prefer the Montana.

Found a bottle of Montana recently for 30 dollars. Not bad, I get musk and spices.

They have it on ebay USA for really cheap,
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Montana-Parfum...QQcmdZViewItem
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Weird- look at that box image really close.

Does it say "Light" at the bottom? No light version exists in the directory. Also, didn't the Parfum d'Homme come in a brown bottle, not grey?

Perplexed.

I think that the LIGHT edition is a genuine one ,since it is on offer from various sellers,at a cheaper price compared to the original and you can find clearer photos.But I have yet to hear from an actual person who has owned or sampled it.
    This is not the amount of money regularly asked for a bottle of Montana Parfum D' Homme.
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Owned 'em both; Montana had to go.

Spotted a well priced bottle of montana recently, im really tempted to try it out now!

Quote Originally Posted by discovolante
    I think that the LIGHT edition is a genuine one ,since it is on offer from various sellers,at a cheaper price compared to the original and you can find clearer photos.But I have yet to hear from an actual person who has owned or sampled it.
    This is not the amount of money regularly asked for a bottle of Montana Parfum D' Homme.
    I briefly had a full size tester of the gray bottle labeled "Parfum d'Homme, Eau de toilette light" about two weeks ago.
    It smelt quite similar to the original in the brown bottle, which I have now, but it was lighter, more accent on the fresh top notes.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

I bought that bottle.

WOW! They are very much alike. Only been wearing the Montana for a couple hours, and Im sure as I wear it more Ill notice the (probably only slight) differences.

Quote Originally Posted by nearfantastica
    I recently discovered the Montana gem and was lucky enough to purchase a bottle from a fellow basenoter. I agree that there are quite striking similarities between the two, but I find Montana the more versatile of the two fragrances. I find it to be a brighter, crisper version of Havana.. and a lot lighter too. Don't get me wrong, I "love" the Aramis fragrance, but it smacks you around, where as Montana offers you a playful love tap...

It's odd, I would consider Havana the better of the two fragrances, but I could see myself reaching for my bottle of Montana far more often. Take that for what it's worth.
    Perfectly put!

In one of the reviews of Montana, Himalaya is touted as an alternative. How does Himalaya compare/measure up to Montana and Havana.

Quote Originally Posted by rompip
    Perfectly put!

In one of the reviews of Montana, Himalaya is touted as an alternative. How does Himalaya compare/measure up to Montana and Havana.
    Not at all, IMO. Himalaya is an alternative to XS much, much more.

I recently got a decant of Montana from a kind Basenoter and would agree that it is similar to Havana. Actually, I find it more similar to Havana Reserva. However, I can detect clear differences between the two. Montana has a smoother tobacco accord while Havana's cigar notes stay in your face. Montana lacks Havana's sharp spices and a very distinct bay rum note. Additionally, Montana stays closer to the skin and longevity is only average IMO. It's a good alternative if you're looking for something less obtrusive than Havana. I personally like Havana more because it slaps people in the face.
    Last edited by teflondog; 22nd October 2006 at 06:59 PM.