Code of Conduct

Default Vetiver Impressions (rambling)

One of the first quality fragrances I experienced was Guerlain's Vetiver. It was worn by an Argentinian man I used to work with back in the the 80's. The fragrance was one which I found highly unusual and very enjoyable. Never has I smelled anything quite like it. Finally I got up the nerve to ask him what the cologne was he wore nad he told me it was the Guerlain Vet. I endeavored to seek out abottle of the mysterious fragrance and finally purchased a bottle in Lord & Taylor's. I wore this fragrance exclusively ( I wasn't really into colognes at that time) for 2 or 3 years. When the Guerlain became unavailable I found a supplier for Carven at a much lower price thn the Guerlain. I wore this until I exhausted a few bottles. I never really noted much diff. between the Guerlain and the Carven, believing that this is how "Vetiver" smells. I forsook the Vetiver frags wehen I purchased a bottle of Bulgari p.h. I wore this whenever I did wear "cologne" which was not every day or even every week at that time. .......Fast forward. Upon feeling the need for something new I stumbled upon a website that sold Rogers & Gallet. I purchased some R&G Vetiver and founr it too to be to my liking. It was on researching a bit more that I stumbled upon BaseNotes. That was my introduction to the wide wide world of fragrance and all the inherent phrases and esoterica. I couldn't wait to give some of the exotic Vet frags a try. Over the past few month I have tried out Vetiver frags fron L.V., L'Artisan, O.V. bty creed, S.L. Vetyver Oriental,Route du Vétiver by MPG, Annick Goutal Vet,. The Niche scents were for the most part were much purer in the vetiver note. The heavier the vetiver, the less I liked the fragrance. The purer vetiver notes smelled to me like soy sauce. Therefore I have reached the conclusion that I am really not that fond of vetiver after all, unless it is blended into a fragrance with sditional spices or a citrus base.
    Live and learn.....................

B.G.

Default Re: Vetiver Impressions (rambling)

I'm not a vetiver fanatic myself, but I find Lanvin's Vetiver to be quite pleasant. Creed's OV is pretty nice too. However, I don't consider it a pure vetiver scent. It's more on the soapy side. In Guerlain's case, I find the vetiver in the drydown to be quite a lot for my tastes. I like the green, citrus topnotes but then the scent is ruined for me when the "earthiness" of the vetiver note fully develops. It's a matter of personal preference and not everybody is keen to certain notes. Give it some time and come back to it. Maybe you'll like it later on and maybe not.

Cheers

I would give Racine by MPG a try if you get a chance. If i remember right (i havn't worn this in awhile) it has some similarities to the Guerlain. I know its much more refined and of higher (IMO) quality.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Give a try to Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre if you haven't yet. I find it very pleasant.

« L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Sandalwood
    Give a try to Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre if you haven't yet. I find it very pleasant.

I just got this today. It really is a very good and different take on vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by busterb
    Therefore I have reached the conclusion that I am really not that fond of vetiver after all, unless it is blended into a fragrance with sditional spices or a citrus base. *
    Live and learn..................... B.G.
    Yes, given the list of best-selling scents, it doesn't surprise me one bit that vetiver, and vetiver-heavy scents in particular, are not exactly everyone's, or your, favorite. However, given the caveat to your closing sentence above, you might try the following, all of which combine vetiver with a significant dose of citrus or spice.

Fragonard Vetyver (vetiver and citrus)
    Carlo Corinto Vetyver (vetiver, citrus, and woods)
    Vetiver by Parfums de Nicolai (vetiver and loads of spice)

Not to be self-promoting, but have you read my "Vetiver Redux" thread, now on Page 2 or 3? I discuss these, and 29 other vetiver frags, including all the niche versions you've tried.

Jeff

Thank you one & all for your kind response.
    This is truly a marvelous community.

Jeff;
    Yes I did read your article and found it interesting and very well done. A labor of love!.
    I will attempt to find the Carlo Corrinto champion of that shoot out and give another Vetiver frag a go.

All the best to everyone;

B.G.

I agree that Creed OV is nothing special, and a little too soapy - and this from a Creed fanatic. The Guerlain Vetiver is divine.

Quote Originally Posted by Setamp
    [quote author=Sandalwood link=1131400491/0#3 date=1131408159]Give a try to Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre if you haven't yet. I find it very pleasant.

I just got this today. It really is a very good and different take on vetiver.[/quote]
    Is there a vetiver scent that is similar to Vetiver Hombre so I can have a rough idea how it smells like?

I am interested in the Hombre too. I think Guerlain is a classic and should be in every wardrobe. I've had it since way back when and for some reason it is the most commented fragrance I have ever owned. I'm also very partial to Vétiver and Rum by Helan which hasn't been mentioned here yet.

Vetiver Hombre somehow reminds me of Duc de Vervins + Vetiver. This is by no means accurate but does suggest the "feel" of this scent. You can find decants if you look on the swap board.

Vetyver Hombre Dominguez is very bright, sparkling, flowery-citrus cologney vetiver.
    It`s flower champagne vetiver, if it`s make sense. ;D
    I like it a lot - it`s highly addictive!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Soapy<---->Green<---->Earthy
    Where would you guys place Vetiver Hombre? (in between or otherwise)

:-? Tough question... I would say it is more likely citrus-green with just a hint of earthy.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

I would put it on the soapy-green side versus LV Vetiver which falls on the earthy side.

i'd go with the soapy green too a little like creed ov if my memory serves me right from about 18 months ago .

Should I get it blind?