Code of Conduct

Default Castle-Forbes Colognes

Has anybody heard or tried these, specifically Lonach? I stumbled across them looking for pipe-tobacco scents, and they sound fairly good, although some are typical "gentlemen" types. Lonach's description of smoke caught my attention. For $112 for a 4.4 oz bottle, and the following write up, I would like to think it may be worth while checking out.

http://www.knoxcigar.com/cafoco.html
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Default Re: Castle-Forbes Colognes

Wow. These look quite interesting.

I'm curious about Lonach too. Knox Cigar is a reputable vendor and I have ordered pipe tobacco from them many times in the past. A few years ago they started selling high end men's shaving products as well but I had never noticed these fragrances. I sure would like to hear if anyone has tried them and what they thought.

I have tried 3 of the Castle Forbes scents. Here are some impressions I posted about them on another thread a little while ago. I've re-sampled them since posting that, but haven't really altered my views, except that I've decided that Lonach is unwearable for me (I find it just too sweet and cloying, and an uninteresting fragrance to boot. But some folks with a very sweet tooth might to drawn to it). The Gentlemen's Cologne and Keig are frags I find wearable, but I don't rate them highly enough to consider investing in a bottle/decant. But good luck if you want to experiment with them.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++

I've tried Gentlemen's Cologne, Keig and Lonach. They were all OK, but I didn't like any of them enough to spend my hard-earned lucre on a full bottle.

My overall impression of Castle Forbes fragrances is that they're simply not distinctive enough to be must-buys.

Gentlemen's Cologne is a fairly traditional-smelling combination of citrus and woods. It's pleasant enough, but I always have problems remembering what it smells like unless I pull out my sample again. That's usually a sign to me that a fragrance is not particularly distinctive.

Keig is a more green/ferny style of men's fragrance with a slightly sour quality when you first apply it. I liked the sourness - and overall I probably liked this the best of the 3 I tried. But Keig didn't have that "wow" factor that often prompts me to buy a fragrance. Again, I felt it lacked distinctiveness.

Lonach - this one is quite sweet. Perhaps too sweet for my nose. I'd describe this as a gourmand-style scent, although I've also seen it described as a "smoky oriental". Personally, I don't detect any smokiness in it, and it's certainly not as spicy as many orientals. I wore this to the office once, but ended up washing it off, because it became too cloying. If you like your fragrances sweet, I think there are many better, more interesting choices around than Lonach.

Overall, I wouldn't put Castle Forbes' fragrances in the same class as Trumper's. I don't find Castle Forbes' stuff as interesting as Trumper's, and they lack that up-market, high quality feel you find in many of Trumper's fragrances.

I had the whole slew of them...they had a rep here in Bermuda and I got caught up in the moment...trust me they ain't that great...and to repeat what has been said already...not a must-buy............. ;D

Peace,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Dependent

Knoxville Cigar has a nice bricks & mortar store in old town Knoxville as well, and seems to be well run. I need to get down there again sometime, since I don't recall seeing this line there.

Colin

I own Lonach and like it a lot, but use it not that often. Itīs rather a difficult scent, more on the female side - without being too sweet - and it reminds me of "Profumo" by Acqua di Parma with some smokiness added. You can order a sample from:
    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/kosmet...;products_id=5
    Try it, itīs a real head-turner!