Code of Conduct

Default How do you preserve your fragrances?

(Cross-posted from the female frangrance forum)

If any of you read the Perfume of Life boards, you may know that I recently dug out some 20-year-old Laura Ashley perfumes from the recesses of my refrigerator. (See http://perfumeoflife.org/index.php?showtopic=475) Initially, some of them smelled as though they'd gone bad, and I left them on my desk to see if I could sell the bottles on eBay.

After a week or two, I smelled them again, tried them on, and they're wondeful! The top notes on one have gotten a bit shaky, but the others are marvelous. They obviously needed to warm up in order to smell good again.

So I have some questions here.

Is refrigeration the best way to preserve a fragrance? If so, is it OK to take it out for a few days, let it get up to room temperature so that it smells decent again, use it, then put it back in the fridge? Or will the cold/hot/cold/hot temperature changes be worse for it than just leaving it out?

Any thoughts on bottles with glass stoppers vs. spray bottles? My fragrance that weathered the worst is in a bottle with a glass stopper, and I'm wondering if that's part of why it hasn't fared as well.

What about light? I'd read somewhere that light isn't good for perfumes. True? False?

I'd like to preserve these perfumes as long as I can because they're completely discontinued, but I also want to wear them. Suggestions welcome.

Default Re: How do you preserve your fragrances?

Light and heat is bad for your fragrances!

But how come you noticed an improvement when taking it out of the fridge is something I don't understand. If this is really fact, my whole fridge studies are worth NOTHING! :'(
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Light is a major enemy of your frags. If you can keep them at room temperature and in a dry and dark shelf that will be enough to keep them for years. Splash bottles tend to deteriorate faster because they're not sealed and the air that gets inside anytime you open the bottle feeds with bacteria the juice and promotes its degradation.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Light is the worst culprit aside from oxidation. Yes, the bottles are pretty and stuff, but the best thing to do is keep it in an area where the temperature doesn't fluctuate too greatly and in the dark. I have spray bottles that are 6 years old or more, and they're just fine because I kept them in a drawer...I've also heard that many keep their scents in their original boxes to keep it preserved as well.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I always keep mine in the original box and in a darkened room. If they do not have a box I keep them in the wardrobe. Seems to work ok. Also the retention of the box keeps them them feeling 'new'.

I prefer to keep mine in my dresser, where they only see light when I pick out my fragrance for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed
    Light and heat is bad for your fragrances!

But how come you noticed an improvement when taking it out of the fridge is something I don't understand. If this is really fact, my whole fridge studies are worth NOTHING! *:'(

I think from fridge to skin it will re warm any so I think to leave it in the fridge is best

laurent
    Invisible Power

Quote Originally Posted by laurent
    [quote author=dr.creed link=1131202749/0#1 date=1131207475]Light and heat is bad for your fragrances!

But how come you noticed an improvement when taking it out of the fridge is something I don't understand. If this is really fact, my whole fridge studies are worth NOTHING! *:'(
    I think from fridge to skin it will re warm any *so I think to leave it in the fridge is best
    [/quote]

That didn't work for these 20-year-old fragrances. One smelled like pee when I first took it out of the fridge and sprayed it on my skin, and an hour later, it still smelled like pee. Now that it has been out of the fridge a while, it smells fine.

Another theory, though: on another board, someone mentioned that sometimes simply opening an old splash bottle and letting it "air out" a bit can help it return to normal. That may in fact be what happened here. Ditto for squirting an old squirt bottle a few times to clear out the stinky juice for the other bottles. So it may not have anything to do with whether the fragrance is cold or warm at all.

As I'm asking this question around the web, I'm finding out that perfume museums use refrigerators set at high settings so that they're not icy cold. So coolness definitely helps, as well as darkness. I may put my Laura Ashleys back in the fridge after all.