Code of Conduct

Default My formal introduction to this fantastic community

Hi everyone, I've been lurking on the Basenotes community and reading the reviews for a few months now. I've finally signed up and hope to become an active contributor to the forum.

My fragrance arsenal is still small, considering I really only recently started wearing scents on a regular basis. This is funny, because I received my very first 100ml bottle of Faberge Brut when I was 14, and I'm now 22!

So here's what I have in the order I received them:

-Faberge Brut (100ml bottles) spray cologne and aftershave lotion
    -Dana Monsieur Musk (125ml tester bottle I got for free ages ago)
    -Davidoff Cool Water (4ml mini)
    -Davidoff Cool Water Deep (7ml mini)
    -Chanel Platinum Egoiste (19 x 2ml mini spray vials)
    -Burberry Brit For Men (50ml bottle)

As you can see, I really like mini bottles/vials when trying things out. I'm gradually making my way through and testing various other scents when I get the chance. I REALLY liked Chanel Antaeus... I can totally see myself owning a full bottle of that someday.

This community is great... I've only been here a short while and I'm already interacting with a couple of different members about purchasing samples and little decants to try out. NOWHERE ELSE can you get a chance to try possibly rare or discontinued items without paying full price for a full bottle you don't even know if you'll like yet... I love it!!! Ebay is getting harder and harder to find minis/samples that are cheap and will ship to Canada...

A bit about myself... I'm a 22-year-old Canadian, in my senior year at university studying biotechnology, I LOOOOOOOOOOVE women like you wouldn't believe (so I always like to smell great, which is why I'm here to learn from you!!!), I play guitar/piano/vocal, and I work out regularly. I didn't start becoming interested in fragrances until a few months ago. None of my friends are as interested as I am, so I feel like I have this extra touch of class and sophistication that they don't have... hahaha.

Looking forward to learning from everyone here, as well as expecting my wallet to remain thin if this fledgling hobby turns out to be an expensive obsession, as I'm sure it has for many of you here... ;D ;D
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: My formal introduction to this fantastic commu

Welcome to the world. Hold on to your wallet. Enjoy!!

Welcome aboard! Strap in for a wild ride.....chances are 9 in 10 that your collection will grow exponentially!

Looking forward to hearing about your fragrance experiments and purchases!

Cheers,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Hysteria
    if this fledgling hobby turns out to be an expensive obsession, as I'm sure it has for many of you here... ;D ;D
    In my case,thats the UNDERSTATEMENT of the year. ;D :-[

Welcome to Basenotes.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Welcome to Basenotes

It's great to be here!!! And if I've learned anything from the guitar-related forums I've been a part of for many years, it's that you CAN'T avoid buying something for very long... ;D ;D ;D ;D I assume the fragrance world is no different! ;D ;D ;D

But there's so many brandnames that get thrown around on here that it will take me some time to absorb them all. Really, for now, my only options are the major department stores here, or blindly buying small decants/samples online for the rare/discontinued ones. I feel really limited for some reason... :-?

Welcome.

The good thing about this Forum is that you don't really have to own a lot of scents to contribute - all you have to do is either get some samples or walk by a counter and spray some on, and see what you think about a scent in the ensuing hours (just spraying on paper doesn't really work).

Regardless of whether you get into buying lots of scents or not, it is worth keeping things in perspective - no matter how much you spend on scents, you will probably wind up spending considerably more on those women whom you desire so much.
    Renato

Welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hysteria
    But there's so many brandnames that get thrown around on here that it will take me some time to absorb them all. Really, for now, my only options are the major department stores here, or blindly buying small decants/samples online for the rare/discontinued ones. I feel really limited for some reason... :-?
    Welcome Hysteria!

Trust me, you'll be able to recognize most of the fragrances we're talking about in a couple of months. Though I must admit that I still haven't memorized all of them! Way too many! :P

Welcome aboard!
    Don't be afraid to be very discriminating in making your purchases ... your wallet will really feel the pinch otherwise.

I love Brut! You might try Azzaro Pour Homme or Rive Gauche Pour Homme (for something that is a little dirtier and lasts longer) if you like Brut.

Antaeus is wonderful. Nothing quite like it.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    Welcome to the world. *Hold on to your wallet. *Enjoy!!
    8-)

Welcome to Basenotes. You will find a lot of good people here. Enjoy.

Welcome!!! And Hide your credit cards...

Quote Originally Posted by Setamp
    Welcome to Basenotes. *You will find a lot of good people here. *Enjoy.
    You really reached a nice place, enjoy it! Welcome!

Hi, enjoy your stay here!

Welcome to the world. *Hold on to your wallet.
    Hi,
    * Just stick with miniatures whenever possible and you won't go broke.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

My advice ... small sample vials of everything, then,

Buy:

Full size bottles of what you LOVE

Decants of what you LIKE

Miniatures of what you're NOT SURE

And if you get stuck with something ... swap!

As a guitar fanatic myself, I can tell you from experience that both guitar and cologne have some things in common:

1.) Just as you would buy another guitar/effects pedal/amplifier for a subtle difference in sound, you would also buy another bottle/sample/decant of cologne for a subtle difference in smell.

2.) My girlfriend complains that I have so many guitars that all sound the same. She also complains that I have so many colognes that all smell the same.

3.) Both hobbies are expensive.

4.) Most importantly, both hobbies add joy to your life. That's what counts.

Welcome to Basenotes.

Velkomin,
    beware the duds
    get some studs

omg...another crazy Canuck!! lol!! Welcome to Basenotes!

Welcome aboard!

As Mr. SIXCATS! would say...welcome to the madness!!

Btw, Basenotes should be renamed Obsession for Men! lol. ;D
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

welcome
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

All hope abandon, ye who enter here!

(Welcome anyway )
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Many, MANY thanks for the very warm welcome!!! Thanks for the great Private Messages as well! The guitar/cologne analogies are right on, hahaha.

I have become a hopeless addict...a broken man...filled with only the relentless drive to try all that is out there...must...resist...buying...another...decant. ..NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, welcome btw! ;D

Abandon all hope for your credit cards
    ye who enter here

Welcome

Finally managed to figure out how to fill in my profile and wardrobe... I've never seen this message board format before! It's all good now... ;D ;D

[ I feel really limited for some reason... :-?[/quote]

In a word: Don't!

Welcome to Basenotes, Brother!! If there's anything you'll do here it's learn. Believe me. I did. And I too can side with your musical leanings (Take a look at my avatar....recognize the fella to our right?). Never hesitate to ask a question, whether posting or PM or E-Mail or whatever. We all share a common love at this place.....but we all have our own individual tastes and THAT'S where things get interesting LOL!

I learned in time to treat the fragrance world like a buffet table: Try a litlle of this or a little of that..... Find what you like! Sometimes it's the tester bottles at the fragrance counter and sometimes it's the package that arrives in the mail......filled with little tubes of aromatic juice......maybe some you've never seen before but only heard of in legendary tales!!

It's a great big world out there. Hysteria!! Godspeed on your journey and let your nose be your guide!!

Oh.....and understanding your skin chemistry helps, too!! LOL

ENJOY!!!!!!!

Only reason I feel limited is because I don't know of any great shops in Ottawa that carry fragrances, except for Sears and The Hudson's Bay Company...

At first glance, your mini-avatar looked like two rappers... then I enlarged it and saw VH... ;D ;D ;D

(Take a look at my avatar....recognize the fella to our right?). *[/quote]

Eddie freakin RULES!!! He is my favorite guitarist. I just wish VH would get their personal $%!# together and put a new album out. But i have a feeling that won't happen anytime soon. :'(

Sorry for going off topic.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Aw, I hear 'ya man! My apologies.....sometimes I forget how lucky I am to be living in Chicago!! After 33 years you get a little numb to what you CAN find and the ones you CAN'T find get overblown. It's like I sit there going, "...man, I gotta buy (whatever scent) blind 'cuz I can't find a store that carries it." Then I gotta remind myself about all the online places that will sell you a sample pack of "you pick to try" scents. Perhaps some will post to Canada? I hope so!! Canada compared to the USA is only over the border! LOL But some may have restrictions perhaps. Ah. don't forget the swap/decants board!! Never hurts to PM someone and ask. I, myself, gotta get set up to decant....I would get a kick out of sending of a sample or two to someone who's never tried Kingdom or Calvin or Gendarme or whatever! That's what makes us a community!! Lord knows I've gotten samples and decants from generous Basenoters!! And advice on where to find niche scents like L'Artisan, Serge Lutens, or Creeds!! IN CHICAGO, no less!!

Hang in there, bro! You may find more than bills or junk mail in your mailbox! Remember: Samples compared to full-size bottles are pennies on the dollar and they usually last a few wearings!!

Don't forgey to stop by the Shopping Guide section!

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc

(Take a look at my avatar....recognize the fella to our right?). *

Eddie freakin RULES!!! He is my favorite guitarist. I just wish VH would get their personal $%!# together and put a new album out. But i have a feeling that won't happen anytime soon. :'(

Sorry for going off topic.[/quote]

You are not alone in your sentiments!! LOL

Rest assured, I've already dealt with three separate community members and I should have some decants coming my way within the next few days... ;D ;D ;D

Right now I'm basically trying to read back on all the topics that have already been posted. I'm currently on page 36... ;D ;D ;D