Code of Conduct

Default I want reco's on strong 80's type fragrances...

OK so call me scentimental (no puns intended scentimus *;D )

What I'm looking for is a recommendation on some strong fragrances (reminiscent of the 80's).
    (For some reason, I'm beginning to find myself gravitating more and more toward the heavy-types lately *:)

Those of you familiar with the following beauties should have no problem guessing my likings:

* - Caron Le 3me Homme (The Third Man)
    * - Monsieur Carven
    * - Rochas Macassar
    * - Vendetta
    * - Antaeus
    * - Ungaro II
    * - Alain Delon
    * - Dunhill for Men

And...?

Default Re: I want reco's on strong 80's type fragrances..

Welcome to the club! Current 1980s favourites: Xeryus, Quorum, Esencia. And of course Yatagan (1976), which is still ahead of its time.

Also very interesting: Jil Sander Man Pure, Krizia Uomo and Scherrer by Jean-Louis Scherrer, which is incredibly butch for a ladies' fragrance.
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

Thanks Pieter.

Guess what? *I (finally) managed to get my hand on a Jil Sander Man. The bottle looks exactly like the one pictured in Basenotes' directory as Jil Sander Man Pure:
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120872.html

Its box was completely black, with a thin red cross imprinted on it. I have a strong hunch that even though my bottle does not have the word Pure written on it, it nevertheless is the one that you're talking about. Ironically, the one pictured in the Basenotes library also seems to lack the word Pure on its bottle. For some reason, Jil sander seemed to have followed one of the most inconsistent naming conventions for her masculine products.
    There is also something about the word 'Man' which keeps popping up in almost all her masculine fragrance names *:-?

Anyway, the actual scent is very similar to her other beautiful fragrance named Feeling Man (there we go again), and I'm glad I have it. *;D

You might want to check out Trussardi Uomo. I don't know if it is from the 80's, but it packs an 80's powerhouse rose.

Yvan

Hopefully godzilla won't mind my jumping in with this question, but since Alain Delon AD was mentioned, is it very herbal and coniferous, is it a bit floral, or is it kind of a mix? *I'm thinking of buying it; never tried it.

How about Relax by Davidoff! *I was going to mention Halston Z-14 and Givenchy Gentleman, but you've got 'em in your wardrobe. *'Course, I guess those two are actually 70s scents. *And I agree--thumbs up on Caron Third Man! *Good thread!

1. Polo Crest.
    2. Original Calvin.
    3. DK Fuel.
    4. Benetton Colors Uomo.
    5. Vermeil.
    6. Bel Ami.
    7. Rocabar.
    8. Escada PH.

How about Francesco Smalto pour Homme--one of the best of its 80's genre IMHO.

No one's mentioned Zino Davidoff? Ha!

Also:

Santos de Cartier, Santos de Cartier Concentree, Fahrenheit, Armani Eau pour Homme, Lagerfeld Classic, Oscar de la Renta pour lui, Sung Homme, YSL pour Homme, Macassar, Obsession, Paco Rabanne pour Homme, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, Polo (original green), Safari, Calvin.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvan
    Hopefully godzilla won't mind my jumping in with this question, but since Alain Delon AD was mentioned, is it very herbal and coniferous, is it a bit floral, or is it kind of a mix? *I'm thinking of buying it; never tried it.

How about Relax by Davidoff! *I was going to mention Halston Z-14 and Givenchy Gentleman, but you've got 'em in your wardrobe. *'Course, I guess those two are actually 70s scents. *And I agree--thumbs up on Caron Third Man! *Good thread!

Hey Yvan,

Actually any fragrance which resembles the 80's 'power juice' would be a fair game. I stated the 80's, just so to quickly convey the type of the scent that I'd knew everyone was familiar with. By all means, if you know of something from the pre-80's or even the 90's which is in line with the above mentioned juices, don't hesitate to mention them.

Now as for the grand Alain Delon: It's classified as a chypre, and I'd place it in the same class of the venerable Aramis in terms of its general scent makeup. It really is a very strong, masculine fragrance which nowadays means you'll have to go very light on when in public. It is as you mentioned, a very nice blend of (less) florals and (more) coniferous notes.
    Another power scent from the 80's. Very good stuff *;D

I loves me some Patou ph
    ;D

I should also add the Patou Prive to the list. How could I have forgotten that?
    :

I had to try Kouros on Saturday, just to see if the bashing it gets on the board was justified. I can remember my father wearing it a lot during the 80's and I used to like the smell.

So, the SA sprayed it onto a card and - to my surprise - it was just an ordinary 80's frag along the lines of Antaeus and the likes. It brought back some pleasant memories... and I actually liked it! ;D

Biagiotti Uomo and Versailles pour Homme......if you can find them

Tuscany and JHL are both wonderful 80s fragrances.

Quite a few Bnoters also speak highly of Azzaro Pour Homme. I've never tried this one, but it must have something going for it based on the comments I've seen on this Board.

80' gems it's worth to mention are also:
    • YSL Kouros - 1981
    • Versace l'homme - 1984
    • Hermes Bel Ami - 1986
    • Diptyque Eau Lente - 1986
    • CK Obsession for men - 1986
    • Chanel Pour Monsieur edt Concentrée - 1989

Dior Jules? Don't know of they make it anymore, but it should fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    [*]Chanel Pour Monsieur edt Concentrée - 1989[/list]
    That isn't really an 80's type of fragrance. It's a remake of the original 1955 version.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    A great 80s style scent with a huge burst of (discordant) top notes that come blasting out of the bottle. I t has recently been re-bottled in one that looks and feels similar to the Eau Sauvage 'upright' style bottle. Check out Dior.com.

Has anyone mentioned Boss No 1 - the original Boss in the black striped box? I keep thinking I might revisit this one. Its brutal

GianFranco Ferre's original mans fragrance is also worth a try and Roger&Gallet l'Homme.

Trot

Of course Tuscany.

80' gems it's worth to mention are also:
    • YSL Kouros - 1981
    • Versace l'homme - 1984
    • Hermes Bel Ami - 1986
    • Diptyque Eau Lente - 1986
    • CK Obsession for men - 1986
    • Chanel Pour Monsieur edt Concentrée - 1989
    Yap! 8-)

Drakkar Noir
    Kouros
    Lapidus pour Homme
    Xeryus
    Obsession
    Fahrenheit
    Anteaus

Wow! All great rec's so far! I heartily second many of the suggestions, especially a few that Milamber and Coleman made. We three must be lifelong members of the Classic Power-Scent Club!! ;D

I'll expand on the Alain Delon theme and suggest Iquitos!!! Great stuff!!

Oh! One more I thought of! Even though it was introduced in the late 1990's, I'll also throw in Cigar Aficionado!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    [quote author=Magnifiscent link=1130746748/0#14 date=1130759095][*]Chanel Pour Monsieur edt Concentrée - 1989[/list]
    That isn't really an 80's type of fragrance. It's a remake of the original 1955 version.[/quote]
    Indeed yes, but to me it has a strong 80's taste for emphasizing woody (cedarwood) and musky-mossy (oakmoss) notes (like other 80's remakes...) and a wonderful powdery vanillic twist!

Overcome By Fumes

Actually the Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree is nothing like the 1950's Chanel pour Monsieur, while "A Gentleman's Cologne" which was the precursor to the original CpM smells the same to my nose. It would be appreciated if the perfume houses would use some sense in their naming processes...

YSL Kouros
    Aramis JHL
    Chanel Antaeus
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quorum.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Griff's Very Best Of the Eighties In No Particular Order (no collection should be without them!)

Open
    Iquitos
    Macassar
    One Man Show
    Worth Pour Homme
    Patou Pour Homme
    Zino
    Jill Sander Man III
    Feeling Man
    L'Eau de Navagateur
    JHL
    Kouros
    Alain Delon
    Tuscany
    Nobile
    Derby
    Monogram
    New West Skinscent for Him
    Portos - Balenciaga
    Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man
    Antaeus
    Farenheit
    Versace l'Homme
    Jules
    Bois du Portugal
    No. 88
    Metropolis
    Fendi Uomo
    Elite (FLoris)
    Gianfranco Ferré Men
    Xeryus
    Acteur
    Greenbriar
    Bel Ami
    Tamerisk (Mary Kay!)
    Ricci Club
    Night Spice

and the king of them all (1990 but it was still the Eighties...)

Égoïste!
    Égoïste!
    Égoïste!

Griff

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    and the king of them all (1990 but it was still the Eighties...)

Égoïste!
    Égoïste!
    Égoïste!

I LOVE THAT ADVERTISEMENT!!! Much much much better than the 'seperates men from boys' crap nowadays...

You need look no further than Salvador Dali pour homme for the ultimate strong 80's scent!

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    [size=12]and the king of them all (1990 but it was still the Eighties...)

Égoïste!
    Égoïste!
    Égoïste!

I completely forgot about it, maybe because of the 1990... But I absolutely agree with you, Griff!!! The only way I can add is:
    Ou est tu? Montre-toi, miserable! Montre-toi, Égoïste!!!

Michael by Michael Kors is one heck of a powerhouse scent. I also recommend Mechant Loup for a slightly different affect. It is not really in your face, but it makes a strong presence.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

To me, nothing screams 80's like Pierre Cardin

It has already been mentioned, and there are other great suggestions here, but I think the essence of strong 80s type fragrances has to be Givenchy's Xeryus. Nothing blends with the yuppie, power-suit, Sony Walkman, boomboxes with Herbie Hancock's Rocket or Grandmaster Flash, ankle/calf warmers, and David Stockman's Reaganomics than Xeryus. Cold, strong, metalic, uncuddly, I'm-going-places, Xeryus. That's the one for me.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    One vote for Jules as one of the best scents ever.

Let's not forget Fendi...or has it been mentioned, and is it an 80's scent? If it's not it should be!

Hey, nobody mentioned Bogart (original)! I think It's from 1978, I'm not sure, but It has the eighties spirit! And monsieur musk too!!! Spicy and powdery, powerhouse for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    ...*Nothing blends with the yuppie, power-suit, Sony Walkman, boomboxes with Herbie Hancock's Rocket or Grandmaster Flash, ankle/calf warmers, and David Stockman's Reaganomics than Xeryus. *Cold, strong, metalic, uncuddly, I'm-going-places, Xeryus. *That's the one for me.
    --Chris
    ROFLMAO --- ;D*-- Good one Chris.
    I'll file away this colorful description for the time when someone asks me to describe Xeryus.

I'd also want to thank everyone for their great suggestions. Just to let you know, I have quite a few of the ones that were mentioned already.
    By the way, I see that a lot of you have mentioned the Givenchy Gentleman. I am quite fond of it too as it was amongst the handful of scents that I wore throughout the 80's and 90's. Of course, that was all before my discovery of this 'scent information mine' called Basenotes.

Good reco's - thanks again!

Azzaro pour homme and Fendi Uomo would be a couple good additions to your collection, but you've already got many of the usual suspects!

Cheers!
    Jim

Not yet mentioned, amazingly, but Jacomo de Jacomo is also the epitome of the 80s. Was my signature scent in college, while everyone else was wearing Drakkar Noir.

Jeff

[quote author=Griff link=1130746748/15#27 date=1130781502][size=12]and the king of them all (1990 but it was still the Eighties...)

Égoïste!
    Égoïste!
    Égoïste!

I completely forgot about it, maybe because of the 1990... But I absolutely agree with you, Griff!!! The only way I can add is:
    Ou est tu? Montre-toi, miserable! Montre-toi, Égoïste!!![/quote]

I agree, too! And I love Egoiste!!! 8-)

polo
    drakkar noir
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I have to say Iquitos by Alain Delon. Gosh this screams 80's at the top of its lungs. Mega sillage mega heavy hitter. Lingers all day into all night. LOVE IT

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus
    I have to say Iquitos by Alain Delon. *Gosh this screams 80's at the top of its lungs. *Mega sillage mega heavy hitter. *Lingers all day into all night. * LOVE IT

Agree on all points you have made.
    Though these days, as a direct result of its infrequent usage, I have relegated it to the heap of 'Refer as Reference ONLY'.
    I have a hunch that it was proabably 'too much' even when it arrived on the scene back in '87.
    Though as you correctly pointed out, "it screams 80's".

Why--why--has no one mentioned Sung Homme?!?!
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Matchabelli for Men Prince Matchabelli 1982 What a stinker as I recall my senior year of highschool.

This is the male eqivalent to the illustrious fragrance description "french whore house".

Quote Originally Posted by smellitnow
    *Matchabelli for Men * * Prince Matchabelli 1982 What a stinker as I recall my senior year of highschool.

This is the male eqivalent to the illustrious fragrance description "french whore house".
    What about Lagerfeld Classic? (Also of the same era?)
    I wanted to like this stuff so much but it just turns into baby powder on me. KL Homme is much better IMHO.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Don't forget the illustrious Devin.

My buddies would flea dip themselves in the stuff under upturned collared Izods. *

Bunch a' knuckleheads......