Code of Conduct

Default The Most Difficult Question: What's your favorite?

I've been asked 3 times today, by 3 different people, what my favorite scent is...

I started by explaining that it's as impossible to choose as, say, a favorite song, or favorite movie. I then decided that I had my favorites in each category, for example, favorite chypre or favorite gourmand, but after thinking about what I might choose, I decided that this too would be too difficult.

In one week, I probably wear/try on average 15 different fragrances. With new scents becoming new favorites on a weekly basis, how could I ever choose just one? What i choose today will change by Xmas!

...know what I mean?

marlen

Default Re: The Most Difficult Question: What's your favor

I know, terrible question, maybe the question should be, what's your favorite this week! For example, last 2 weeks it was Acier Aluminium. the weeks before that Baladin,Lanvin homme and Zanzibar. Really hard to name one. But for now, my favorite is my newly purchased L'Homme Sage . It just came in yesterday and I love it. The only problem I have (again) it's a splash bottle.The postings on this board and the recent Divine reviews on Now Smell This made me buy this blind and boy ,I'm so happy I did. Thanks for introducing me to this scent.*But to be honest, I'm sure next week I will have another favorite. *

I feel the same ..... However, I just love two of my recent purchases....moreso than usual.

Anvers by Ulrich Lang and Narziss by Dorissima...these two just blow me away each time I wear them.
    Both really, really good scents IMO.

But we all must have one scent we always like even if we away from it for years....

Mine is Obsession yes I have a lot of other expensive scents maybe ever better made but when I open the bottle its like rediscovery.

I always hate it when people ask what's your favorite anything, book/movie/fragrance/CD etc. Because as previous posters have stated, nothing is always perfect for any time and situation.

Scents I could never be without though would be New York by PdN and Le Dandy by D'orsay.

Marlen,

I don't TAKE it that difficult. I think I found sort of a solution.
    Usually, I don't tell anyone any brand or cologne names, just NOTES I like - something in the vein of "I like leather and woody-tobacco scents" or something alike. Of course, that doesn't mean going as far as, say, "Reunion vetiver with a dash of Atlas cedarwood and a touch of rosemary and geranium on top of it" *;D

Works for me, as I never ask such questions towards my own taste.

On the other hand, when I feel these questions have some hidden background (to get to know something about me), I play this hide-and-seek games when I'm in the mood.

Regards, Odor.
    "One man's "cat piss" is another one's "masterpiece" (popular fragrance wisdom)

Blog Entries

Since its launch in 1996, it's been rare for me NOT to have a bottle of CK be in my rotation. It's the epitome of fresh & clean which is why I turned to guys scents to begin with! But, since coming here & discovering more frags...SMW has a pretty high ranking in my book.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

francois

Maybe the question could be easier to answer if reformulated as:
    What scent would you choose as your sole desert island scent?

Or:
    Which is your most versatile scent?

In both cases, the answer could be the scent you think makes the best compromise among the different things you like.
    But this is not necessarily your favorite one!

This question is actually pretty easy, for me. My absolute favorite scents are the ocean, the forest, pasta sauce cooking, and ink. As for a cologne, however, well...who knows!? :P
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by Informer
    This question is actually pretty easy, for me. *My absolute favorite scents are the ocean, the forest, pasta sauce cooking, and ink. *As for a cologne, however, well...who knows!? :P
    Nice answer, Informer! ;D ;D ;D
    feeling the same!

In know the answer. Mine is Hanae Mori EdP

I would have had a hard time answering this a few months ago, but now it's an easy question for me.

GEIR...I'll take this to my grave.

I agree, this question is almost impossible to answer. However, I can't imagine living without Live Jazz.

#

I think it's easier to answer this question if you look at it in human terms. In other words, who would be your best friend? And in that case, there has to be an element of time. So many fragrances (and friends) have been my "favorites" at one time or another ... only to fall out of my graces after spending time with them and discovering their true character. It has to be one that has been through the thick and thin of life with you ... and still ... you want by your side. One that you want by your side (or squirted in your face) on your deathbed. One that has proven themself faithful and been there for you ... time and time again. One that has memories that bring a smile to your face. One that you never will be apart from ...

For me, it's DK Men. So much time and good memories that have passed over the years with this one for me. Even when I put it down for a year or so (way back when), coming back to it made me love it even more. I'm not saying it's the best fragrance on earth. In fact, there are a few in my wardrobe that I think smell better. But in terms of what I think of when I smell it, the places it brings me, and the times I've spent with it ... it's truly my best friend and therefore, my favorite.

I think ziffy is on to something. To be THE one favorite, a scent would have to contain memories as well ingredients. I my case that would be Azzaro.

Chanel's Antaeus.
    Hey! That was kinda easy! ;D
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Hey Scenteur7, you can't decide which one's your favorite because you have SEVEN MILLION FRAGRANCES!
    You crazy bastid!
    ;D ;D ;D
    (Just teasing!)

And as for me... well, everybody can probably guess what my favorite is.
    I'll give you one clue: starts with a "Z."
    Heh-heh.

Aramis the undisputed king.Never defeated either yet,like Marciano,yet I guess GIT comes close sometimes in my book.The best juniper berry concoction since Gin juice.If Bombay or Beefeater smelled like this I would probably be an Alky.
    Aramis needs me a sales rep.I'm a lone voice over here.
    A bientot,Roland.

Purple Label
    Armani Prive Amber Soie
    Polo Black
    Armani Black Code
    Gio for Men/ Armani Night He
    Polo Blue/ Emporio He
    Dior Homme
    Polo Sport
    Mania Men
    Gucci Pour Homme
    Creed GIT/ Royal Water/ Green Valley/ Tabarome(Both)/ Irisia/
    The Different Company...Bois D'Iris/ Osmanthus
    There......
    Oh I forgot.....Polo Crest...Polo Sport Extreme....Safari for Men (Mmmmmmmm).
    I'll stop there....it's time to eat!!!!! Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman

Z-14 is up there for me also! Great stuff imo..

This question is not THAT hard for me.. my FAVORITE thus far from MY collection is DK Men 'Fuel' .. hands down.

-Mike

My favourite has to be Eau Sauvage! At least for now...

RTbar

Quote Originally Posted by mikediscoli
    [quote author=Coleman link=1130677957/15#16 date=1130713190]

I'll give you one clue: *starts with a "Z."
    Z-14 is up there for me also! *Great stuff imo..

This question is not THAT hard for me.. my FAVORITE thus far from MY collection is DK Men 'Fuel' .. hands down.

-Mike
    [/quote]
    I think he ment Zino...

Although i rarely wear it and i have 2 or 3 bottles of the stuff,my favorite is still halston 101.
    With my working in a hotter than hell steel mill ALL the time,i would hate to waste the stuff.what i wear the most is guerlain vetiver (old).

There are 4 or 5 I absolutely cannot live without and if it was all I ever had, I would be very happy. They are:

GIT, SMW, NS, OV, and Un Jardin en Meditereanee

Others would get honorable mention but these fragrances are my staple and happen to be the ones I always rotate with among all the others that sit there and get no play!

Though I'm still new to this hobby mine would definately be M7!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman
    Hey Scenteur7, you can't decide which one's your favorite because you have SEVEN MILLION FRAGRANCES!
    You crazy bastid!
    ;D ;D ;D
    (Just teasing!)

Heh-heh.
    EXACTLY! That's why the question is simply impossible for me! Bottles aside, the number of samples and decants is even more over-whelming...Favorite is simply an F word to me...

Quote Originally Posted by RTbar
    I think he meant Zino...
    Bingo! *I thought about saying starts with a "Z" and ends with an "O." *But that would've been like giving the whole ballgame away at the start!
    :P

If i was forced at gunpoint to name one favorite, i'd say Hanae Mori HM.

But M7 is very close behind, and so is Havana, Santos Concentree, Opium PH EDP, Bel Ami, Pi Fraiche........... :P
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Impossible question to answer. How to fight the compulsion toward novelty? I'm glad I don't have to.

That said, if I had to wear just one fragrance for a while due to some circumstance or other, I suspect I would be choosing between New York, Azzaro PH, or Chanel PM. Not only are they all favorites, they are all scents I can wear in almost any setting.

My all-time favourite top 3:

1. Hugo Boss Baldessarini Eau de Cologne Concentrée
    2. YSL Rive Gauche pour homme
    3. Creed Green Irish Tweed

I think I have a different "favorite" depending on its definition. In other words, I don't think there's any one fragrance which can be "the one" yet...

"I love how it smells on my skin first 30 minutes" favorite = Bigarade Concentree (Frederic Malle)

* * *The bitter orange top is superb, but after it's gone, all I can smell is pure cumin....

"The dry-down is just beyond description" favorite *= Tam Dao (Diptyque)

* * *The top is a little too woody sharp, *but the combination of cumin+sandalwood in its base is sensual/sexy and
    * * *Buddhistic/holy simultaneously. *It makes you feel like making love and having a zen meditation at the same time.

"I don't know why, but I just have to have a bottle nearby" favorite = Santal Noble[ch12288][ch65288]MPG)

[ch12288][ch12288][ch12288]It's just warm like a blanket and[ch12288]I cannot live without it.

"As I use it too often, my nose has ceased to detect the scent,
    * * * * * * * but everyone around me tells me I smell marvelous!" favorite = Pour Homme Extreme (Bvlgari)
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Declaration (Cartier)

* * *These two are just my classic favorites.
    * * *Just as they're positively unisex, it does not make me feel tired like some masculine/feminine extremes do to me.
    * * *And people around me (both men and women) never fail to give me some compliments about these two.
    "Oh, I just love how it smells from a bottle" favoite = No.5 parfum (Chanel)

* * *I can just keep sniffing from a parfum bottle all day, though once I apply it to my skin, it turns flowerish feminine,
    * * *which I just cannot stand...

"Wow, it smells wonderful on a paper" favorite = Miss Dior (Christian Dior)

* * *I used to spray on a testing paper and enjoying sniffing the noble Haute Coutour scent. *
    * * *I almost never wear it because it always ends up wearing me and gives me fatigue... (No.19 does the same thing)

Sanzio

Now my favorite scents are PALOMA PICASSO EDP, MAGIE NOIRE EDT, JICKY EDT, BY WOMAN EDP and ROMA EDT. But I love all scents with animal notes! ;D

If I were absolutely forced to have only one fragrance for the rest fo my life, it would have to be Mugler Cologne.

Make that the 10.2 ounce bottle while you're at it.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

My daily favs are Givenchy Pour Homme and Jaipur EDP.

However, on certain occasions when I feel like being a god...Chergui and in second place Figuier Extreme (even though it's more like a body oil than a scent)...not much sillage but man oh man what great staying power. You can smell that stuff the next day even after you've showered.

Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme (used with Bulgari Pour Homme bath products). I wish I would have tried this scent earlier than I first did, then it would have been my favorite for a longer time!

This is really hard.....but I can only say that ENVY is the fragrance that I can't live without!!!! 8-)

Though I am not a Dickens expert I think that it was in 'A Christmas Carol' that we see Scrooge doubting one of the Christmas Ghosts by saying that the ghost might not be real at all and could certainly be the effect of some undigested cheese which Scrooge had eaten earlier.

I think it is the same with what we call 'Favourites'. I think the idea of a 'Favourite' is really a precipitate of external and internal factors. External conditions and internal environments, hormones, etc are constantly changing and this in turn gives rise to an ever changing panorama of 'Favourites'

Since we are all a vast moment to moment changing phenomenon any idea of 'Favourite' could never really be a fixed one since we who hold the preference are in a constant state of precipitative flux ourselves.

I think the 'idea' of a favourite though, is attractive to us, since it offers us the delusion of 'defining ourselves', of stepping out of the flux long enough to glimpse for ourselves exactly who we are trying to adorn.....

Just a thought.....

It varies from day to day, mood to mood. Impossible to answer.

If I had to pick one fragrance to wear the rest of my life, I would probably go with YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentrate.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

ufffffffffff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :-/, very difficult but i think that this:

*morning= MARK BIRLEY

*night=SPORTISSIMO GALIMARD
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

This weeks Favs are:

1. G2..very nice
    2. Paco Rabanne Black XS...oohhhh la la......... ;D

Peace,

Otto

Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

A*Men

Passage d'Enfer ;D [smiley=thumbup.gif]