Code of Conduct

Default Advice from the pros: Men's Health!

Thought this was pretty funny when I read it, this came from the Daily Dose in Menshealth.com:

Too much cologne is never a good thing

Overwork the pump attachment and she may turn up her nose. Nothing says, "I am utterly and humiliatingly desperate for you to touch my penis," like scent overload. Yes, women want you to smell clean and good -- but you don't need to smell like a pine forest from 20 feet away.

A hint of cologne, such that we notice it only at the crucial moment -- when we're in very close proximity to you -- does the trick. After a shower, when you're naked and, most important, dry, spray cologne into the air. Wait a second. Walk through. Never spray more than once. Never spray directly on your clothes.

HAHAHAHA! I always thought the walkthrough method was the worst idea I have heard, and now that I've heard it from Men's Health, I can now say it's the worst advice ever.

No offense to anyone who does this, but I can never get any scent with this method. It literally evaporates in the air and stays there, nowhere on your body. And you gotta love the 'wait a second' comment as well. Thanks Men's Health! You truly are the fragrance professionals! ;D

Not to be totally critical, I agree with the overspraying. I hope it rings clear with the usual Men's Health crowd. The fragrances they ruined for me when they overdid it!

Default Re: Advice from the pros: Men's Health!

I completely agree with you; 'walking through' doesn't do crap for me neither. Why do people have to tell us what to do? Apply it however you feel is necessary and be happy

If someone is consistantly applying too much cologne, then there must be something working in their favor. I'm sure if many people were offended he/she would have cut back by now, at least logically

Men's Health tries so hard, but they really don't know anything about any of the topics they cover. Even their exercise information, the main focus of the magazine, is generally full of inaccuracies.

I agree with the over spray comment. Your fragrance should only be smelt in a very close proximity, but the walk through method doesn't really work. You basically don't get anything on.

The "walkthrough" does work ... but only with very few. (Amouage Silver Cristal is a good example).

But for most ... a walkthrough does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy
    Men's Health tries so hard, but they really don't know anything about any of the topics they cover. *Even their exercise information, the main focus of the magazine, is generally full of inaccuracies.
    I agree its one of the most terrible magazines. * About 4 years ago they suggested the "walkabout" method of applying fragrance. *Your spray the scent in the air and you walk around the mist in a outer circle. :-?

About a year ago, Men's Health advice to "how long is my cologne good for" was to toss it after a year. Hmmmm... Is Men's Health owned by P&G?
    The Bark Bites Back.

ziffy- with Amouage Silver Cristal a "walk near" would be sufficient!

The Walkthrough method DOES work. So many don't believe in it... Now I can see why there are so many negative comments on Givenchy Pi.

I think it all depends on what scent you use. Obviously the sillage kings are walk-through friendly, but considering that I don't wear many strong scents, my collection just isn't capable of grabbing on to me when I spray in the air. And then there's the argument of how much cologne you consider to be appropriate.

I'll tell you one thing though, you'll never be accused of putting too much cologne simply by walking through it. :P

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    ziffy- with Amouage Silver Cristal a "walk near" would be sufficient!
    I do a one on chest and one on each arm with the ALMIGHTY SILVER !
    ;D ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by chris21
    Thought this was pretty funny when I read it, this came from the Daily Dose in Menshealth.com:

Too much cologne is never a good thing
    On the other hand, too much cologne is never an easy way 8-)
    When they exhaust the "walkthrough" theme, a "f*ckaround" method would be devised.

Chris21, thanks for a bit of fun.

Regards, Odor.

"One man's "cat piss" is another one's "masterpiece" (popular fragrance wisdom)

Tch! tch! tch! The way they describe it, sounds like the runafter, instead of a walkthrough. Do it the milamber way and you'll be fine. For heavy scents especially the classics: Hold the bottle at arms' length pointed AT you. Spray one full spritz and walk through the plume that develops. You will get more on you than the "runafter" method and more importantly, the droplets will be more evenly spread out over a larger surface area of your body. You get to capture subtle nuances of the frag this way. You've got to get some on you, to smell anything! Sigh... Men's Health???????? :

Hey guys, I've got a cool idea for the Men's Health magazine:

Why don't they just recommend spraying the bottle straight up into the air, and then stand directly underneath the falling molecules -- sort of like a fragrance rain shower. This method should also prevent their readers from running into things!

While we're at it, why not read the magazine at arm's length to prevent too many preposterous ideas being absorbed into your consciousness?

Three observations,
    1. The guy who hides his cologne usually doesn't get the gal (the other guy wearing it comfortably does), and

2. *All those guys who regularly post here about what great compliments they get from wearing their scents, wouldn't have gotten them had they hidden them in the manner suggested. They wouldn't have stood out of the crowd, they wouldn't have been noticed.

3. * There is a very sexist in being critical of men who wear colognes strongly, but at the same time, not being equally critical of*women who routinely wear their scents equally or more strongly.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    While we're at it, why not read the magazine at arm's length to prevent too many preposterous ideas being absorbed into your consciousness?
    Hear-hear!! ;D
    David and Becca forever!!

i don't read the mag, so i don't know about the overall suckiness of it. but i agree with everything the op quoted in principle. keeping in mind that they are looking at the topic from the perspective of getting women, all they are saying is:

1.) using too much cologne does more harm than good. TRUE
    2.) therefore, go light - such as the "walkthrough". ALSO TRUE

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    1. The guy who hides his cologne usually doesn't get the gal (the other guy wearing it comfortably does), and
    i don't think wearing less cologne is at all equivalent to "hiding it". that's like saying a woman who doesn't wear tons of makeup is "hiding" her makeup. i see scent as a way to enhance your "presense" (in this context), not to beat someone over the head with it. one can wear less and still wear it comfortably.

2. All those guys who regularly post here about what great compliments they get from wearing their scents, wouldn't have gotten them had they hidden them in the manner suggested. They wouldn't have stood out of the crowd, they wouldn't have been noticed.
    seriously, i get regular compliments from women with just 1 squirt. not from across the room mind you. but a person standing next to you or walking by you or hugging you can easily smell 1 squirt as long as you are not in a smoky club or something.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

On the other hand with most colognes men use even a little can be too much...of a bad thing.

There are just too many variables for just one method of application. You've got to consider:
    1. the scent itself.
    2. the climate.
    3. the occasion.
    4. the company.
    5. the setting.
    6. the mood.

The walkthrough (the way i do it) is just one moa and i can even combine it for more variations, sometimes using a walkthrough with a light spritz to the forearm and neck etc. I like the control different moa gives me for different times. The moa effectively triples or quadruples the scents i currently own because of the subtle variations you can get with them.

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    i don't read the mag, so i don't know about the overall suckiness of it. *but i agree with everything the op quoted in principle. *keeping in mind that they are looking at the topic from the perspective of getting women, all they are saying is:

1.) *using too much cologne does more harm than good. *TRUE
    2.) *therefore, go light - such as the "walkthrough". *ALSO TRUE

[quote author=Renato link=1130715704/15#15 date=1130758054]1. The guy who hides his cologne usually doesn't get the gal (the other guy wearing it comfortably does), and
    i don't think wearing less cologne is at all equivalent to "hiding it". *that's like saying a woman who doesn't wear tons of makeup is "hiding" her makeup. *i see scent as a way to enhance your "presense" (in this context), not to beat someone over the head with it. *one can wear less and still wear it comfortably.

2. *All those guys who regularly post here about what great compliments they get from wearing their scents, wouldn't have gotten them had they hidden them in the manner suggested. They wouldn't have stood out of the crowd, they wouldn't have been noticed.
    seriously, i get regular compliments from women with just 1 squirt. *not from across the room mind you. *but a person standing next to you or walking by you or hugging you can easily smell 1 squirt as long as you are not in a smoky club or something.

[/quote]
    When you are told to go light on it, while women are encouraged to flaunt it - it is indeed hiding.
    All talk about sillage here is a nonsense, if one is talking about one squirt.

I am not advocating spraying to the extent of reeking out a room, but I can't see any problem with scenting out my personal space if I want it. If some man or woman doesn't like it - they can get lost. I prefer the company of people who do like scents, or at least who couldn't care whether I had one or not.

I have NEVER received one compliment from the numerous one squirts I've applied to my wrist when checking them out (although one woman told me that the one squirt of Green Irish Tweed was awful).
    Renato

When you are told to go light on it, while women are encouraged to flaunt it - it is indeed hiding.
    All talk about sillage here is a nonsense, if one is talking about one squirt.
    i dunno man. i can't explain the difference in perception here... all i can say is i've had people smell and comment on my cologne (1 squirt) while standing within conversation distance. perplexing.

I am not advocating spraying to the extent of reeking out a room, but I can't see any problem with scenting out my personal space if I want it. If some man or woman doesn't like it - they can get lost. I prefer the company of people who do like scents, or at least who couldn't care whether I had one or not.
    i don't see anything wrong with it either. i'm just saying that going light is not "hiding it". it's just a different way to wear it i guess. as far as women, i don't encourage them to flaunt it either. but i do admit that compared to most men's colognes, women's perfumes in large quantities are easier on my nose for some reason. maybe because i don't feel the same sense of territory/boundaries with women. or maybe just because it's a woman there.

I have NEVER received one compliment from the numerous one squirts I've applied to my wrist when checking them out (although one woman told me that the one squirt of Green Irish Tweed was awful).
    not to nit-pick or anything, but are you talking about checking them out while at the cologne counter? i swear to god i'm not lieing when i say that 1 squirt to the neck in a regular scent environment is detectable from a few feet away. 2 squirts and i've got a definite aura going.
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote author=Renato link=1130715704/15#20 date=1130860649]

not to nit-pick or anything, but are you talking about checking them out while at the cologne counter? *i swear to god i'm not lieing when i say that 1 squirt to the neck in a regular scent environment is detectable from a few feet away. *2 squirts and i've got a definite aura going.
    Well, I must admit to not being a neck sprayer - I'm an under clothes one (with the exception of wrist testing), and I suppose that makes some difference.
    Renato

Well, I must admit to not being a neck sprayer - I'm an under clothes one (with the exception of wrist testing), and I suppose that makes some difference.
    Renato
    AH!!! It makes ALL the difference!!! Now i get it! ;D

One probloem with the walk-through method--last time I tried it, I managed to get a blast of Eau de Cartier Concentree in my eyes. Burned like hell. No more walkthroughs for me. ;D
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

...as far as women, i don't encourage them to flaunt it either. *but i do admit that compared to most men's colognes, women's perfumes in large quantities are easier on my nose for some reason. *maybe because i don't feel the same sense of territory/boundaries with women. *or maybe just because it's a woman there. * *
    Very interesting observation.
    I also think that men in general do tend to welcome a women's intrusion into their personal 'space' much easier (be it via physical proximity, or through a scent).

Here's a response to a similar piece of advice in GQ magazine from our very own DustB

http://www.basenotes.net/columnists/chris/feb03.html

You have to understand WHO they are writing this for. I would MUCH rather these guys use the walk through method than their current OVERSPRAY methods. They aren't speaking to you experts who inherently know the sillage, etc of what they are spraying on their bodies (and shirts, ack!)

I don't poo poo the walkthrough method as there are a few scents for which it works best. First to mind is New Haarlem which is at its best when underapplied in an unconcentrated manner. If oversprayed or applied in a 'blot' not only is it cloying but you just won't get the subtle genius of its character. Try walking through anything Annick Goutal and you will smell exactly nothing.

it comes down to this:

do you care about the effect you have on those around you? or is purely for personal enjoyment?

if it's all about personal enjoyment (which is a perfectly legit choice imho), then end of debate. you wear whatever you want and however much of it you want. there's no problem there, and really nothing to debate.

if however, you wear scent at least in part to enhance your image or attract women or whatever, then it's more complicated. then you have to take into account how much is too much for other people, not you. now how you figure that out is up to you. everything in my RL experience - from talking and listening to women, reading, etc - tells me that being surrounded by a cloud of impermeable scent is not as appealing to girls as a gentle touch of a scent is. furthermore, my own nose tells me that a woman who is drenched in perfume is not as appealing as the same woman with a tantalizing hint of it on. and a man who's gone overboard with the sprayer gives me a headache.

i'd also like to mention that one man's irresistable scent from heaven is another man's sickening odor from hell. imagine you really really liked the smell of fish, so you buy caron eau de fish. would you wear it with abandon with no regard for those around you?

now i know that probably no one is advocating complete disregard for other people. it's all relative. but once you accept that other people are involved, then maybe these articles in GQ and whatnot would make more sense.

edit: scent is arguably the most potentially "invasive" methods of self expression and grooming. what i mean is, if i am stuck in a room with someone who is dressed unattractively, it's easy to look away. if someone is making too much noise, i can use earplugs. but if someone's scent cloud is drifting over me, there's really not much i can do to avoid it short of holding my breath. the psychological "claustrophobia" can be quite uncomfortable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trasker
    You have to understand WHO they are writing this for.
    Totally agree. Which is why I don't read this magazine.
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

There are just too many variables for just one method of application. You've got to consider:
    1. the scent itself.
    2. the climate.
    3. the occasion.
    4. the company.
    5. the setting.
    6. the mood.
    I agree. It especially depends on where you live... here in Miami it's pretty much impossible to be more excessively vulgar than any randomly-selected guy walking down the street with his fifteen pumps of Drakkar Noir or Cool Water leaving a cloud behind him.

I have no empirical evidence to back it up, but I'd imagine it's probably similar in places like Las Vegas, Atlantic City, Brooklyn, etc. On the other hand, when I'm in the Midwest, it seems like people notice even a small spritz from twenty feet away...

-Ronald