Code of Conduct

Default Anyone wanna vent about shipping?

Hey guys,

I'm really ticked off at Fedex. And slightly peeved with Luckyscent for shipping my Sequoia Fedex ground.

The first week of October I ordered 4 CdGs and I shelled out the extra cash for second day air. My order was about $250, not an insignificant amount. Well, my shipment arrived second day air via Fedex, no problem. I was a bit disappointed that Sequoia was on backorder and would ship seperately a few business days later. No biggie. It was a week after they said they would ship the Sequoia that I called them and they said it had shipped, the day before...via Fedex Ground. I hate ground shipping, and given a choice I would have spent the extra to get it sent air. And I was kind of surprised given the amount of money I had spent and would probably will be spending in the future, that they didn't just throw me a bone and send it in some express fashion. Since my original order was second day air, it could be assumed that I wanted my stuff sooner rather than later. The people I've dealt with at Luckyscent are really nice and very knowledgeable, and very cordial. And I plan on doing alot more business with them in the future, but I was let down that they sent the backordered item ground, because dealing with ground shipping is a whole separate thing from dealing with efficient air shipping. I feel that a corner was unneccesarily cut.

Here's what peeves me about Fedex. The package was sent last Monday from LA. I tracked it several times, and nothing changed until Friday night when it arrived in Chicago. I live in St. Louis. The estimated date of delivery was Saturday. I figured it would be driven from Chicago to STL overnight and I would get it Saturday on schedule. Nope. Ever since Friday night, I've been tracking it and all it says is "Arrived at Fedex- Chicago" So, its Monday afternoon, two days after it was supposed to be delivered, and its still just sitting in Chicago. WTF? So close and so far. Cripes, i'm like 5 hours from Chicago. It gets halfway across the continent from LA in four days, and then what, sits 5 hours away for another four days? Jesus, just give my package to a goddamn hitch-hiker, let him thumb his way down here and I'll give him 50 bucks and a warm meal when he gets here. Christ.

Whats annoying is that my building's office is under construction, so there's no place to drop packages. So I've been trying to be quiet because my loft is in the area where alot of jackhammering is going on outside and I don't want to miss a knock on the door, because the music was on or the furnace was on full blast.

I've never had a problem with anything shipped air or express, but with ground shipping, there doesn't seem to be the slightest emphasis on speed. It makes me mad, because yesterday I drove across Illinois and back and saw Fedex 18 wheelers on the roads and thought for sure my package would be in STL and ready for delivery by today. Its possible that the package was simply lost or stolen or something. I guess I have to wait and see for a few more days. But i swear if I get home from work tonight at 2 AM and punch in the tracking number to see its still in Chicago, I'm gonna put my hand through the monitor.

Yes, I'm the ten year old boy impatiently waiting for the delivery man to bring his new bicycle. I'll never grow out of that. But dammit if I want to get my freakin Sequoia, that sh!t sounds great.

Thanks for listening to me vent.

Shipping horror stories guys? Come on. We haven't had this kind of thread for a long time. What's happened to you. Also, between Fedex, UPS, USPS, and DHL- who do you think is the best and worst?

Default Re: Anyone wanna vent about shipping?

UPS once lost a bottle of M7 destined for my house, but other than that, I've had good luck with UPS. FedEx is good, too, as is the USPS.

On the other had, stay away from DHL...I like calling them "Damaged, Hidden, or Lost" for a reason.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Well,in this moment i feel the pain,i sent to USA a big package,with today are 17 days *:-?,and he don`t received nothing :-/ and the normal time Spain to Usa are 7 days. Who is guilty: Spanish Postal? USA Postal? Believe me ,sometimes, i,m tired with this disorder :P.

PD: Spanish Postal have the most expensive prices in the world ,they are semi-private now,not public. * *>*jodidos bastardos* >
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

I prefer UPS over FEDEX. UPS seems to track the packages better and, at least here in Los Angeles, the UPS drivers seem to put more effort into completing the delivery.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I recently purchased a bottle from Floris US; they charged me $ 30 usd for international shipping. And guess what ? They sent my package via USPS regular parcel with a $ 6.80 postal stamp on it. It took almost 5 weeks for my frag to arrive. $ 30 usd would have been enough to send it via UPS or, at least, USPS Express Delivery. But not. They charged $ 30 usd and only spent $ 6.80. A bunch of thieves, IMO.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

From my experiences with receiving goods from the states, I would have to say that USPS is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    UPS once lost a bottle of M7 destined for my house, but other than that, I've had good luck with UPS. FedEx is good, too, as is the USPS.

On the other had, stay away from DHL...I like calling them "Damaged, Hidden, or Lost" for a reason.

Well once, DHL couldn't find my address (I live on one of the most well known Avenues in my downtown). At least they were kind enough to call me, and I came to pick it up at their office(Which is visible from my living room window, oddly enough- how could they not know where my address was, LOL!)

I had some friends who work for UPS and they make pretty good money, but they are union and have an adversarial relationship with their management. Plus they under certain pressure to hire unqualified people to fill certain quotas, and some of the things I used to hear were enfuriating. My friend used to have to drive a route through the projects, and he had to deal with some really bad situations. He would often ring a doorbell to deliver a package at 2PM and have some crackhead berate him for "waking (him) up" so early.- No thanks. One of my friends just took a second job as a night preloader for Fedex, and he hates it. I haven't told him about my complaint yet, but it won't likely won't matter. All jobs have their drawbacks, but i've heard alot of stories of bad stuff going on in the shipping business. I would never want to work for any of these companies based on this.

I want to find out what's taking so long, but I expect it will be a big run-around. Granted, my kidneys are not going to fail, if i don't get my package today or even tomorrow. but when they state a date of estimated delivery and then that date elapses by a few days- that package should be bumped up to a priority item. Thats the way it should work. Computers should be able to tell them which packages were not delivered when "promised" and these packages should get bumped up a notch, and the person expecting the delivery notified. This might cut into their air services, because I think people pay the money to avoid ground service, not always necessarily to get things shipped super fast. It might be a fear thing.

IG: Sorry for your "troubles" . I had a FedEx-Ground tackle order from CA recently that never seemed to move from CA. I called my tackle supplier and he said that the Ground shipments do "lay" there for some time :.

I get cigars from Cypress in 3 business days thru FedEx and fishing reels from Tokyo in the same time thru USPS 8-)

No help but .............

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Three weeks ago I received a half full bottle of Heliotrope and a 75% full bottle of Palais Jamais which I got from ebay. The Palais Jamais bottle was broken. The whole juice was gone. I never received such an intense smelling package. The mailman said I will get the damage returned - I just have to go to the post office and .....

The man at the post office then said there is no chance of getting a refund. ;D ;D
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

When it comes to venting about shipping, the Police wrote a song for me... albeit many years before I actually had shipping woes. Anyway, you may have heard of it: King of Pain.
    The Bark Bites Back.

FedEx has routinely pissed me off by, like with you, shipping something a great distance in very little time...and then...for some perplexing reason...letting it just sit somewhere, relatively near, for what seems like an irrational period of time. That being said, they've never damaged or lost anything I've shipped, or ordered. UPS on the other hand...

Personally, I tend to prefer USPS...never had any problems, and they seem to be pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark
    When it comes to venting about shipping, the Police wrote a song for me... albeit many years before I actually had shipping woes. *Anyway, you may have heard of it: King of Pain. *

lol! I', trying to think about the lyrics and their pertinence to shipping woes, and all I can think of at this late hour is

"There's a little black spot on the sun today, its the same old thing as yesterday"

yeah, that pretty much sums up the feeling alright!

I just checked the status of my package. Its no longer in Chicago- Its now in Champaign Illinois...WTF... ?

Think for a minute.

Its like the spooky theory about if an arrow is flying toward its target, and you can infinitely bissect the distance into half, the arrow should in theory...never arrive at its target.

I think this is what Fedex is gonna do to me. Just keep dividing the distances, smaller and smaller, From big city, to college town, to suburb, to one horse town, to grass hut, etc...Just so it never reaches me. Its a clever way to test this theory.

What the hell, I live downtown in a major city. Why the F did they have to drop anchor in Champaign Illinois? Its like two hours from Chi-town. Drive you bastards and don't spare the little white truck! Its not the pony express; the horses don't need rest and water. What's next, Peoria? Decatur? Vandalia? Aurora? Jeez. maybe my Sequoia is out on tour, opening for REO Speedwagon on a midwest junket of state fairs, flea markets and airshows.

I swear when I finally do see the Fedex man, I'll probably be so happy I'll have to go kill the fatted calf, which is hard to do when you're as squeamish as I am and love animals as much as i do. Maybe I'll stick to a thank-you.

Well, I work for a mail-order company, so I know a bit about shipping. We use UPS (to the tune of $1000-2000 a month) but we get a lot of packages through other services...

UPS - They have day-definite delivery for ground shipments, and the date is almost always right (maybe 1 in 50 will be delayed). They also don't tend to lose things (maybe 1 in 500). However, they are extremely rough with the packages. If you don't pack things very well, they WILL get broken, especially heavy stuff. They're the cheapest choice for ground. Also, everything gets an automatic $100 insurance. It used to be almost impossible to make a claim, but at some point they changed, and now it's pretty easy. One time one of our customers received only the box flap from the shipment we sent (the flap with the address label had been ripped from the box), and with tire tracks on it.

FedEx - They're not as rough with the packages, but they tend to get them completely filthy. I'm talking covered with black dust and dirt that gets all over everything. All services get stuff dirty, but FedEx is the worst. Their ground services don't have day-definite delivery (even if they claim so), and multi-package shipments often don't arrive together. FedEx is best for air shipments, their ground services are relatively new and not their specialty.

DHL/Airborne - These two just merged, so it's kind of hard to tell what's going on at the moment. I've never had any problem with either of them though. DHL seems to be the most expensive, but they treat the packages very well. If you want to send something fragile, this is probably the best way. DHL specializes in international shipments, and their big emphasis on domestic stuff is fairly new.

USPS - They lose everything. This seems to be relatively recent, too (within the last 5 years they've gotten really bad). Often priority mail packages will be delayed for 2 weeks for no reason at all. There's also no way to track anything but the expensive stuff, and their tracking doesn't seem to be that good (not many scans). Unlike all the other services, they can deliver to PO boxes.

As for the FedEx package, I'd call their customer service line (1-800-go-fedex) and gripe at them some. If it's late, they can put a tracer on it or something, it may help it arrive sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
    As for the FedEx package, I'd call their customer service line (1-800-go-fedex) and gripe at them some. *If it's late, they can put a tracer on it or something, it may help it arrive sooner.

I sent them an e-mail yesterday, and when I got home last night, it had been answered. They wanted a complete list of my address, the sender's address, the package description etc. I saw that the package had moved, so I didn't bother pursuing it. I don't know if there was any correlation between my sending an email, and suddenly it leaving Chicago, and the tracking steps indicating departures as well as arrivals (which it didn't before).

I just looked a half hour ago and it says that my package is in Earth City (Sounds like that grass hut I mentioned...no Earth City is like a suburb of St Louis. Its the local facility.) I just wonder if I'll receive it today?

I had ordered big bottles of Gendarme and Bulgari PH from an online dealer (don't remember who) and the check out page never gave an option for shipping method. Whatever, it'll get here right? So I get an email 2 days later saying my bottles were shipped with DHL which made me happy because a lot of prople had told me DHL was better than UPS or FEDEX. I lived in a cheap (dumpy) apartment building in a college town and wouldn't be home when the package was scheduled to arrive, so I left a note that said "DHL - please leave package at the rental office, Thanks." After coming home late from school, the DHL tracking page says the package has been delivered. But wait - it says the package was left at the door!?!?!? They must not have a option for "left at office" right? I mean, the package was not at my door when I came home, and the note was still there. Ok, I'll go to the office in the morning to get my awesome new frags! Needless to say (because this story obviously does not have a happy ending) the office did not receive any package from DHL. What kind of incompetance (or pure lazyness) can allow someone to read a polite, reasonable, and quite common request from a paying customer and blatantly ignore it? Anyway, the package left in the hallway of a building full of undergrads was promptly stolen. So now some asshole smells great and I'm out $60+ dollars! No way, Jose!

So I call DHL first, and this is the real kicker - they inform me that it is against DHL company policy to leave a package unattended at a multi-household residence (apartment, duplex, etc.). So not only did the driver ignore my request, he ignored company policy. wow. So anyway, I was able to get my money back (they offered to reship with another carrier but I declined) but the headache they put me through was hell. They even told me that I was not the first complaint against DHL and they were in the process of getting a new carrier. Now I will be hard pressed to ever use DHL again, although I probably just had a bad driver that day. These companies must know that there is strong competition and one bad episode (especially when its the first) can lose a customer forever.

"USPS - They lose everything. This seems to be relatively recent, too (within the last 5 years they've gotten really bad). Often priority mail packages will be delayed for 2 weeks for no reason at all. There's also no way to track anything but the expensive stuff, and their tracking doesn't seem to be that good (not many scans). Unlike all the other services, they can deliver to PO boxes. "

Amen, brother! It's kind of like the old Lily Tomlin bit: We're the post office. We don't care. We don't have to. Also, that excuse for a tracking feature is just beyond lame...updated like every 3 days. Uh huh...that's helpful. UPS is generally really good, but I just cringe when the shipper's method is USPS...I know it's a crap shoot. I had them return something last week to the sender marked, "attempted, address unkown". That's rich since they deliver small packages to me pretty much weekly. Well done!

Great. My package is still at the Earth City facility. So that means likely, tomorrow for delivery, which is not good. Because I can't sit at home any longer waiting for them to knock with my package. I'm off tomorrow, and I have a TON of errands to run, I'm probably going to be in Illinois for a large portion of the day. had I known that it was gonna take this long, I would have taken care of this shit last week. So its totally likely that the ONE F'IN DAY I can't be there, it will come. I also really wish my apartment office would reopen, they've been renovating it for a month. It's GOTTA be done by now. I wouldn't mind if they could just leave the package in front of my door, because I trust my neighbors. FatTony, that sucks what happened with your Bulgari PH and Gendarme. Was it recently and do you still live at the same place? If so, I would sniff everyone on your floor, and the first person smelling of Bulgari or Gendarme would get WHACKED! (hey, you ARE FatTony!)

Next time I order something with an e-tailer, I'm going to make a note to have them specify in the comments area of my account to NEVER, EVER ship Fedex ground again. I have nothing against Fedex as a whole. Their second day service has been great so far, but ground is terrible.

"Get-Get-Get-Get down, Fedex Ground is a joke is your town"

I think USPS has gone way downhill in the past 4 months. I have had more problems recently than I have had in years. They are VERY slow and inconsistent. I will send one package and it takes 5 weeks while another to the same address might take 4 days. Even domestic packages are taking as long as 2+ weeks.

Well, to paraphrase the kid in the last scene of Todd Solondz' film Happiness:

IT CAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol. I guess you can't always rely on the tracking numbers, because ten minutes before it arrived, it said it was still at the facility. And then here it is!

Plus the Fedex guy was really nice.

Still overall it took alot longer than it should have but compared with some of the horror stories, it was nothing. In the future though, I will insist on Air.

I can't write much now because I have to try out my Sequoia!

My DHL mishap occured about this time last year (soon after discovering basenotes ) I've moved from that apartment now and I'm glad to be gone for more than just my shipping problems. I'm in a house now in a more family-type neighborhood and all deliveries have gone perfectly. A lot of packages have been left at the door here (for me and my housemates) and there hasn't been a single issue. I also haven't used DHL once since that incident.

I'm not a FedEx fan, but definitely a UPS fan...

I remember an instance where the package arrived early from its origin to my city, and despite the fact that it was a 2nd Day Air package, it was placed on the truck and on its way to me in one business day instead! Yeehah!

USPS is downright evil...at least for the ones in my city. Priority mail generally takes 4-7 days, no matter what, to be delivered to me. Regardless if it arrives early, I suspect the package sits in their processing center (same instances with FedEx too) and finally lands in my lap in 7 days, 4 days is a rarity. I had a heart attack when an order of mine was placed Friday night and to receive it Monday morning....must've been a very slow day for them, or that they're actually working and not slacking off!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    USPS is downright evil...at least for the ones in my city. *Priority mail generally takes 4-7 days, no matter what, to be delivered to me. *Regardless if it arrives early, I suspect the package sits in their processing center (same instances with FedEx too) and finally lands in my lap in 7 days, 4 days is a rarity. *I had a heart attack when an order of mine was placed Friday night and to receive it Monday morning....must've been a very slow day for them, or that they're actually working and not slacking off!
    Could it be because USPS Priority Mail is flown on FedEx jets? I kid you not!
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    From my experiences with receiving goods from the states, I would have to say that USPS is the best.
    I'll second this. They're maligned by many in the country, but they've never messed anything up until now. I go USPS 100% if I can.

UPS has gone down hill. I put something on will call, drive down there, and it is not there because they left it on the truck. This happened more than once. Also, they returned a package the merchant after only one delivery attempt, and I had to yell at them before they would make any effort to fix the problem. And right now, I have a delivery attempt slip here with a bar code and the number above it, but the UPS web site can't find the tracking number in the system. Not to mention that when things do go right, I'm still stuck driving down town the pickup center, because I'm at work when they try to deliver.

I've never had a problem with FedEx. And the pickup center is closer to my house, plus I can drive right over the same day and get my package. But I don't get to use them as often, so maybe I would see problems is I used them more.

Quote Originally Posted by Setamp
    I think USPS has gone way downhill in the past 4 months. I have had more problems recently than I have had in years. They are VERY slow and inconsistent. I will send one package and it takes 5 weeks while another to the same address might take 4 days. Even domestic packages are taking as long as 2+ weeks.

Exactly my experience too Setamp!

It also makes a huge difference from which post office you send the package. There is a post office near the airport in the city in which I live, and it is open till 12:00 midnight on weekdays and from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on weekends. It's a really professional outfit. Vary rarely does Priority Mail take more than two days and very rarely does First Class Mail take more than 3. However, if I post from the post office near where I live, it's anyone's guess how long Priority will take and First Class can take up to a week.

I've definitely noticed inconsistency lately, though, across the board with USPS shipping. Still for the price and general reliability USPS Priority mail is unbeatable.

/me

I`m always get lost in wonders - HOW THOSE POSTMEN WORK??????
    One parsel from Switzerland goes 7 days, another from Berlin - more than 30 days. Same airmail, same boxes\envelopes, same EU standards... Difference is 23 days!
    It`s not a creative process - take that, read that, move towards, that`s it! Why are they so... Different?

My Floris parsel from US comes here after 45 days!!!

Also - in Russia-Japan swaps (Marlen could say it) - parsel could come to my place in 2 weeks, but otherwards it takes more than month by airmail. Marlen thought it was lost one time - when it took something about (maybe even more!) 2 months!!!!
    I was ready to make another package with more goods - as I feel it`s my part of honest swap!!!
    But good Lord save my money - and parsel arrived there...
    Now I suppose Marlen will think twice or maybe three-four times - before he`ll decide to swap with such a unlucky Siberian boy as I am cause of Russian post.

Anyway - all I can do in swap accuracy going broken with our Russian post-system...
    Vetiver The Great!!!