Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A thought for guys who wear womens scents

Last night at work, I was standing there and suddenly I smelled YSL Nu EDP.

I was thinking, "OK someone is wearing Nu, that is certain. But who?"

I was looking around the bar. There were a few women, but mostly men.

And no this story is not going where you think it might be going. Sorry if you thought the story was gonna involve me walking around sniffing everyone until I found the Nu radiating from the pecs of a Robert Redford type in a Stetson hat. No not even close. Nor was the Nu coming from a metro-dude in a grey ribbed sweater.

The Nu was coming from a blonde lady sitting at the bar. Yes, I know its all wrong for blondes, but that's not the issue. Just kidding, actually I think I may like it better on blondes because it makes them smolder a bit.

But the point of this. I own Nu and I like Nu. But really, if you smelled Nu, you would be looking for the woman wearing it. If you walked into a room full of only men, you would take a sniff, look around and say, "OK where did the woman just go, I know there was just a woman in here". It might be funny for a man to wear Nu, and gauge people's reactions as they look over, around, and behind him in search of the "mystery woman".

I'm not saying that there is something morally wrong with wearing womens' scents, and several are unisex enough or even a bit masculine- i still want to try Hermes Eau des Merveilles. Scents like Jicky and Bandit I think work well on a man. But I have to laugh when I hear guys talk about wearing Chanel #5 and all that. And I thought Nu was pretty masculine, but its really not. Its "butch". There's a difference. The software may be RAM, but the hardware is not going to change...

"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Default Re: A thought for guys who wear womens scents

:-?
    I still would have gone around and smelled all the girls

You really do have to try Eau des Merveilles!!! I've fallen hopelessly in love with it. I'm waiting for my bottle to arrive. It's been enough days now and hopefully it will be here tomorrow. Can't wait to wear it again, my decant is all empty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    You really do have to try Eau des Merveilles!!! I've fallen hopelessly in love with it. I'm waiting for my bottle to arrive. It's been enough days now and hopefully it will be here tomorrow. Can't wait to wear it again, my decant is all empty.
    I LOVE it too. It REALLY should have been marketed as unisex, its really quite masculine!

So what does it smell like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Noseorgy
    So what does it smell like?
    Hmmm, kinda woody ambery. Warm and slightly sweet. Much niceness!

EdM: My nose gets a creamy warmth in there too. And it changes shape a lot, I can't really focus on it, moves around and tricks me.

EdM sounds really good. Does it have ANY overly femme notes in it at all? I'm a big fan of unisex scents, but if something is a bit too femme it just doesn't really work for me. I've heard most people say that its more masculine than feminine, but I just want to be sure, and I trust you guys. I've been kicking this around as a blind buy. It sounds pretty safe. Most of the people who have similar tastes as I do, have raved about EdM, so I think I'm gonna get some down the road. In fact I don't recall anyone knocking it.

Also, I know I would never have the guts to wear Kingdom, but I am curious about it. But like I said before, the SA wouldn't even let me smell it! He said he wouldn't subject me to it. I know that's borderline terrible service, but I do appreciate strong personalities, and so I didn't push the issue! I will try it someday. Thats the beauty of buying a womens fragrance for yourself. If its too feminine for you to wear, you can always give it to a girlfriend!
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

MJH

OK, since I'm one of the guys who's always wearing women's scents, I'll take a shot at this one.

Even though I wear lots of scents that are marketed towards women, I still have an internal sense
    of what scents are just too feminine for me to wear: Chanel No. 5 is a good example. My internal
    fragrance-gender-barometer has difficulty with strongly floral scents and with many aldehydic scents.
    I've tried plenty of scents that I don't plan on wearing a second time for that reason.

But I think a big factor (in this case), is that you have an educated nose, and you're in an environment
    where you're exposed to lots of different men's and women's scents, both new and classic. In my case,
    I can go days without ever noticing another person's scent (male or female). My personal scent preferences
    tend to be like some kind of metronome: I may wear Kouros or Antaeus one day, Shalimar or L'Heure Bleue
    the next, but I tend to be most comfortable wearing Philosykos or Jicky or something that doesn't really
    send out a strong gender-specific message. When we've had threads about "scents that are too masculine/feminine",
    the scents that come to my mind are always the scents that I really don't like to smell on either gender.

We had a thread not long ago about JHL Aramis and whether or not there was a difference between JHL and Cinnabar: I don't think we arrived at a consensus; some guys said there wasn't a difference, while other guys said they were markedly different. Personally, I'd have a tough time telling them apart in a blind sniff test. And if I can't tell JHL Aramis apart from Cinnabar, then I don't think many other people would either, especially if they're just noticing my scent in passing. And so from Cinnabar to Opium (the women's version): I can tell them apart, but it's not because they're all that far apart, either (gotta give myself some credit).

I blame your damned fine nose....but I don't really disagree, either. Just offering my perspective.

Oh, I guess since I'm telling stories about work, I guess I'll tell you what else happened last night, but this is a bit embarrassing, so don't razz me about it!

I was watching the baseball game, walking around tables, talking to my customers, making smalltalk etc. There was this one guy whose sexuality was... lets just say after three glasses of wine, I think was hitting on me. It was odd because we were talking about baseball (he didn't know much about it but he tried to fake it-that's strike one). He was from Texas and rooting for the Astros, and after I told him I was pulling for the Sox, he slowly became a Sox fan- Strike two. I even berated him and told him to grow some freakin balls. I was trying to just be friendly talking to him, but he kept bumping into me and touching me. I was about to walk away. Then he kind of leaned into me and inhaled my SOTD (Sequoia), and then he just inexplicably dropped his wine glass and it broke all over the floor, and everyone in the place turned to look. And then drunkenly,he says to me, "Oh...I'm sorry, I was just talking to you and i forgot where I was." Strike-f*cking three!!! I was so embarrassed by this guy, and as I went to get a broom, this girl I work with was like, "Hey, is that guy your lover or something?" I'm sure my face was red. Its a good thing I easily laugh about stuff like this.

Indie_Guy: I'm not sure I would recommend this as something to buy blind, especially not if you are afraid of it being too feminine. Of course it has that side to it, but I don't get that usual flowery thing going on here, not at all. And I felt really comfortable wearing this too work, which I might not if I pick one of my more feminine scents... I do wear CdG 2 there at times, but it is quite rare and I always feel a bit awkward (I love 2 and I love to wear it, butnot at work...) since it often comes off as quite feminine. Oh, and I got compliments from a girl regarding the scent that day too.

But you still have to sniff it, bottle or not

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Also, I know I would never have the guts to wear Kingdom, but I am curious about it. But like I said before, the SA wouldn't even let me smell it! *He said he wouldn't subject me to it. *I know that's borderline terrible service, but I do appreciate strong personalities, and so I didn't push the issue! *I will try it someday. Thats the beauty of buying a womens fragrance for yourself. *If its too feminine for you to wear, you can always give it to a girlfriend!
    I might be wrong about this, but I wore Kingdom EDP on Monday and to me it smelt like Serge Lutens MKK meets any mainstream flowery/powdery/sweet women's perfume. I could be wrong, but that's what I got. Maybe someone else can post their thought on Kingdom.

Indie_Guy: Oh I just ordered Skai now, I have my hopes up

:-X

I have decided not to participate in this kind of discussion since I find it unproductive and not at all interesting. I regret posting, so I removed my original post.

/me

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    Indie_Guy: Oh I just ordered Skai now, I have my hopes up

Ha! sucker...Its really terrible, I'm just trying to trick people into buying it.

No, really I'm telling you its truly great. I'll be stunned if you don't love it. I'm really liking nearly everything from CdG's parfumsPAFUMS series', but I think Skai is really special. Its a hey look at me kind of scent, but its got a real underground coolness to it. After trying the entire Synthetic series, I think Skai is by far the best. I like Dry Clean too, and I like all the others, but Skai walks the line the best- Soda and Dry Clean are a bit tame, and Garage and Tar are a bit too far over the edge. Skai is wearable, and at the same time its a real head turner. People will ask you what you're wearing for sure. It almost smells freakishly good. Alot of the CdGs I love because of their concepts, and their capturing of minor themes. Skai has all that, plus it smells great!

Keep your hopes up high...Skai high.

I still like Coco Chanel... :-/
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Good point Scentemental.

But taking that same argument- How many of you would wear a dress? (And you Scots don't count-sorry Col!) Its completely arbitrary these days, fashion and clothing. But wearing a full- on woman's scent is just like wearing a skirt. Yes, its cultural, but we also are subject to culture.

Plus the fact that men have worn floral scents for thousands of years, I find funny for personally amusing reasons I won't even go into lest I find myself in really deep hot water. But it has a bit to do with the birthplaces of perfumery and how masculinity can such a hot-button issue in those places in modern times. More on this can not be coaxed out of me.

I'm not saying you can't make florals masculine, Voleur de Roses is great beyond words and quite manly. Yet still...that floral note doesn't go unnoticed as a flower.

But arguments have been made before about the flowers and their irrefutable parallels to female genitalia. And why woods connote manhood. Herein, for me, lies the grounding that keeps the debate from being a relativistic free-for-all.

gender roles are not so relative and mutually reflexive as people try to make them. Tradition is a MUCH keener compass than logic.

I wrote a big piece on this but I deleted it. I'll just state my personal philosophy, and it can be analyzed on several levels, and I hold to it:

When a girl behaves like a girl, its so much easier for me to behave like a man.

Still, I wish you all could have read my self-deleted post. It would have provoked you one way or another...

Post Thanks / Like

.....who really give a crap if it's "masculine" or "feminine", i certainly don't--it you like it then wear it. isn't that what it's all about anyway??? you wear a fragrance for yourself...NOT for someone else. unless you know that someone in particuliar likes a certain fragrance you wear and that something's gonna be goin' down later! if you're worried so much about what other's think of you....well, that's called insecurity, or at worst case scenario paranoia...and there are professionals out there who can help with that.

i remember a time when men wouldn't be caught DEAD wearing PINK!

i think i'll wear chanel coco mademoiselle tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    Look,

The whole masculine feminine thing is a very recent division. The nose knows no difference in the gendering of scents that is not cultural and gender bound.

scentemental

We've had discussion on this subject before. I disagree strongly with you.

When the day comes that I commonly and generally observe small boys playing with daisies and braiding their hair with flowers, and small girls climbing trees, playing with branch sticks and carving sticks with their pocket knives, I will agree with you.

In general, girls like flowers and guys like wood. Perfume manufacturers want to make a profit, so they give them exactly what they want.
    Renato

Still, I wish you all could have read my self-deleted post. It would have provoked you one way or another...
    we can take it, give it to me man!

btw, i agree with you overall. whether or not the "gender" of scents of culturally or biologically bound (i think both), we all live in a certain culture, as does everyone around us. if you bust out of that biology or culture or whatever, good on ya. but it doesn't make it automatically "better" to have done so. having said that, i would never suggest to someone that they should not wear a scent which they like, as i think all of us here would agree. well, maybe if it was really stinky... for me, i don't think it would feel right to have on some victoria's secret flowery sugary concoction, even if i do like it on a girl. am i a slave to society, or is that just my taste? so... i lost my train of thought. i'm tired.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Here's a thought from me - I have a lot of other's, but I'll start with this one...

I think that one aspect of wearing a fragrance in public is to make a statement. If I wear a fragrance that is somewhat "feminine," and people smell it and identify me as wearing it, it may make them think. In other words, it will illicit a response. There is a part of me (am I alone?) that digs that. I'm a masculine guy. Not much about me looks feminine. If someone smells something that they percieve as feminine, it may make them think. What will they think? Your guess is as good as mine. I can think of a whole range of thoughts from different personalities and genders.

Do they like the smell? Does it draw attention? What might be the responses? Isn't it interesting?

I went into a crowd today wearing Miss Dior. What happened? No one seemed to notice. Did they? What if they did?

I have gotten some really great compliments from women saying I smelled really good when I wore women's fragrances.

That's about it.

Best,

~S.

Quote Originally Posted by smitsky
    I think that one aspect of wearing a fragrance in public is to make a statement.
    definitely. and we each have our own unique statements to make. and maybe some are making no statement at all. thus the disagreement i guess. there's a (perhaps subconscious) language in scent. so if your cologne is saying "i'm a strong manly man" but you are really only saying it to yourself - or saying something else to yourself - others still hear (smell) it regardless. i suppose some ppl don't care and some do. i dunno. meh.
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Post Thanks / Like

Another quick one...

I work with the public. I have a male co-worker who wears Byblos for women. He's masculine looking. Doesn't look feminine at all.

He tells me that men, women and children constantly tell him that he smells really nice.

I guess those same people might be thinking other things as well.

One thing is for sure, they seem to be complimenting because they appreciate the fragrance.

~S.

Quote Originally Posted by zestyfresh

i remember a time when men wouldn't be caught DEAD wearing PINK!
    No offense to any guys here who wear it,but it would be a cold day in Hell before i ever wore pink. :P

Oh yeah...i agree with Scentemental.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

One of the points I'm trying to make with this thread is not really whether people should or should not do what they want to do. I'm just making an observation, that within the confines of Basenotes we get a little crazy with what we think we can wear and sometimes we might stretch it a bit far. And then when you get out of a "basenotes" mindset, and perceive things from a different perspective, you might catch yourself going "what was I thinking".

The point is that I learned a lesson. I bought Nu because it was said to be masculine and could be pulled off by many guys. And I do love the smell of Nu. And hell I like to spray it on a card or skin(if I'm not going anywhere) and enjoy it. But the lesson is, wearing it in public would have been a disaster. I know some think i'm pontificating, but i think they might be the ones pontificating to a degree by saying that I'm "scared" or "paranoid" if I wear a girl's scent.

Call me old fashioned but I wouldn't purposely wear something that I thought might smell girly.

Hey I never said "don't wear these scents", because there are several womens scents that are quite masculine or unisex and could be pulled off by a man. Any scent can technically be worn, but being pulled off- far fewer. My point is just that if you wear something that smells feminine, don't be surprised when people look at you like your'e weird. It doesn't make them a philistine. If I smelled a man wearing a scent that was obviously a women's scent, then I would look at him funny. I know some people like to provoke a response with their scents. Is this the response you want? If it is fine. I'm just saying that I smelled Nu and tried to picture it on a man and it just wasn't working.

Hell I've gotten a few disapproving looks wearing the Dreamer, and these ladies probably thought it was a woman's perfume. Do I still wear Dreamer? Well, rarely. It is quite feminine and although it IS floral, it still remains just masculine enough IMO.

I didn't start this thread to bait any man who wears women's scents. I know it can be subjective. But its like pornography- you know it when you see it. And Nu while being butch and icy and has some testosterone interloping in there somewhere (I know, I used the word "interloper" a week ago; forgive me I love that word), it still crosses the finish line as a womens' scent. It smells like a woman. Yes it does. And if a guy wore Nu, I'd be thinking two things. One, he smells really nice. Two, he smells like a woman.

If you're comparing wearing a fragrance to wearing a dress or picking daisies (or other supposedly effeminate activities), than you're completely mixing up the argument. Wearing a fragrance, men or women, will have no effect on a person's behaviour, and it is near impossible to derive a link as the concept "masculinity" and "femininity" are so vague, fluid, and bound to social constructs. Why do we look at a man wearing a skirt and think he is feminine? Yet when we change the skirt to plaid and boldly proclaim he's Scottish, then suddenly everyone has an epiphone and says, "yes, he is masculine!" Some of you really need to learn about social constructs before attempting to find a true line of division between the two supposed behaviours and processes of the genders.

Geez, people, come on.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by Informer
    Wearing a fragrance, men or women, will have no effect on a person's behaviour, and it is near impossible to derive a link as the concept "masculinity" and "femininity" are so vague, fluid, and bound to social constructs.
    it's not the effect on the wearer that's at issue. it's the effect on others. the concepts of masculinity and feminity may be somewhat fluid across cultures, but most people only live in one culture at a time. and even if you pay no heed to these constructs, others still do. the language of gender is determined by the culture you are in, not just by you. now if you don't care what image you project within that cultural language, that's a perfectly legitimate way to be. but some people do care*. which is why you won't catch me in a sundress even though they look pretty goddamn comfortable.

* care is relative. compared to the stuff that really matters in life such as love and death, i don't care at all. but i still do care a little.

Why do we look at a man wearing a skirt and think he is feminine? Yet when we change the skirt to plaid and boldly proclaim he's Scottish, then suddenly everyone has an epiphone and says, "yes, he is masculine!"
    i think scottish skirts are kinda feminine. heh. of course, if i grew up in scotland, i probably wouldn't.

See, but here's what bothers me. If one does make a distinction between scents being masculine and feminine, one gets whacked over the head by the handbag of those who say there is no such thing. And i stand by my analogy of wearing an overtly female perfume, the key being "overtly", to wearing a dress. Come on, some of you guys act like like I'm a rube for mentioning that scents are masculine or feminine. Sorry for noticing. I resent the notion that any time something like this is mentioned, people act like the person is ignorant or "just doesn't get it" or its driven by some kind of indoctrinated unsavoriness. Heck, I went to the record store today and bought Antony and the Johnsons' first album( the second one has really grown on me)- If I had some kind of "fear" or "paranoia" of nebulous gender issues, I doubt I would listen to Antony. I think most people on here can vouch that I'm very open minded and non-confrontational. One of the freest thinkers you'll find. But I turn it around, why do people get threatened with the concepts of masculinity and femininity? Like everything has to be torn down and burned as the oppressive sexist bullsh!t that it is. lighten up, some of you, there's no reason to get defensive about it. I think you misunderstand where I'm coming from.

So go ahead and wear your COCO Mademoiselle tomorrow.

I'll be wearing Kouros, tough guy.

Okay, call me a cop-out but I think all of you are right. We are all wired differently, and have grown up with different experiences of culture and ideas of "masculine" and "feminine". I cannot speak for any other man other than myself. I have no issues if a guy wears a "women's" perfume. I believe that scent itself is neutral, but our associations to it are not and this changes from time to time. Correct me if I am wrong, but years ago, many men (even powerful men) wore floral scents, sometime to attract women. I personally have not yet worn a women's scent. I do have Mitsouko in an unopened box and plan to try that out sometime in the future (I bought it with Habit Rouge, and so far haven't been able to get over it yet - I love it). I cannot stand overly sweet fragrances, but that has nothing to do with "masculine" or "feminine" - it just gives me a big headache. For men who only only wear "men's" scents for the sake that they have the word "men" or "homme" attached to it - open your minds a little. For men who wear "women's" scents - all the power to you!

P.S. On kilts - it depends on how you wear it. For guys that want to check out something a little different, lookup www.utilikilts.com

Relax, "guys" will ya' ???;D I just bought Dior Homme, and like I posted on another thread, this scent really steps on boundaries between feminine and masculine. The frag opens very floral with the iris and lavender, you'd almost mistake it for a feminine frag, and the bottle of juice could easily be displayed at the womens counter too to try. Luckily the florals settle with the woods and musk, and you got a damn awesome scent.

I even think Hanae Mori runs more feminine than Dior Homme and NU because the fruit notes can really make you wonder about the frag's "sex". As men we're damn comfortable in wearing it if the word "man", "homme", "monsieur", "he", "lui", etc., is attached to the name of the frag even if it has a sweet and soft nature to it.

There will always be cases where the scents intended for men or women will tread on the boundaries. Just let your nose be the judge...if it's too floral or too soft or too sweet for you, just don't wear it, that's all!

As for Nu, I try not to overspray because the orchid note can be very prominent in the beginning, but when you take a light hand to it, all I smell is something clean and slightly powdery, something like Knize Ten Summer Edition if it was ever to be made [smiley=laugh.gif].

And if they ever ask what you're wearing, just lie and say you're wearing YSL Rive Gauche or something!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I'm curious...for those who don't want to smell "feminine" is it because you yourself don't like the smell and connotations OR is it because you don't want to be perceived as feminine by others? or both??

I think that the majority of the non-fragrance wearing male population probably thinks that any male who wears perfume is a little feminine (even guys who make a point of only wearing ultra "masculine" fragrances!).

AZTEC

<Quote from Indie_Guy>
    "Tradition is a MUCH keener compass than logic."

Very good!

<Quote from Indie_Guy>
    "When a girl behaves like a girl, its so much easier for me to behave like a man."

Very, Very good, Olde school...

Cg

CG

Quote Originally Posted by aztec
    I'm curious...for those who don't want to smell "feminine" is it because you yourself don't like the smell and connotations OR is it because you don't want to be perceived as feminine by others? or both??
    both, but mostly me.

I think that the majority of the non-fragrance wearing male population probably thinks that any male who wears perfume is a little feminine (even guys who make a point of only wearing ultra "masculine" fragrances!).
    for me, i don't care what other guys think. they aren't really "in the picture", so to speak. it's the ladies that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    Relax, "guys" will ya' ???;D I just bought Dior Homme, and like I posted on another thread, this scent really steps on boundaries between feminine and masculine...
    heh heh yeah. it's just idle chitchat. i don't think anyone's really offended... at least i hope not. and sure, there are unisex scents. but ya know, the fact that you describe a scent as being between masculine and feminine shows that you do have the unspoken understanding or gut feeling about what is a masculine vs feminine scent. i believe this is true with the vast majority of ppl. which is why i say that what you wear says something to others, even if you don't care what it says. but of course the bottom line is that everyone should wear what they want. we all agree on that.

Its that damn orchid in Nu that makes it unwearable on me. Take the orchid out and its a different story. I think Nu just needs to go ahead and have "the surgery" lol.

Anyway, as I've said before, some guy teased me when I was wearing Hanae Mori saying I smelled "purty". I think Hanae Mori is unisex, but I've never felt it was feminine in the least.

This whole debate got me to drag out some samples of some women's stuff i was sent from MJH a while back. Jicky, Bandit, and Habanita. All three completely wearable on a man- but it would have to be like a distinguished gentleman. Not something I could pull off just yet. Still enjoy sniffing them.

But for me wearing Nu is a No.

I come from a generation where if the scent doesn't smell like gasoline or turpentine, it's women's perfume, hehe!

Just be happy that we don't have to wear wigs, lace collars and cuffs, and velvet or silk bows on our shoes to be considered gentlemen anymore! It's funny how after thousands of years of evolution, the male sex still isn't comfortable in his own skin.

And as for Dior Homme, two women who sniffed it on me today loved it. I wore Black Cashmere once to work, it wears so close to the skin that I haven't had reactions to it, but I don't think anyone would wonder what "gender" it is.

And don't worry, Indie, stuff like Bandit is so ambiguous I've actually been to websites that have it down as Bandit for Men.

But people tell me, what are your opinions on a woman that wears Fahrenheit? I know one woman that does, but I didn't find it an attractive scent on a woman, and Indie, did the woman who wore Nu smell attractive to you?

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

I read every single post in this thread...very interesting...

My story about Nu - my first bottle was given to me by a woman who didn't like it because she found it too masculine. That bottle went to a straight buddy who had no idea it wasn't a men's fragrance, and he probably still doesn't, in his words "this stuff is da bomb".

Yesterday my bottles of Escada Collection and Brit Gold arrived. Both "for women". Both heavenly, if not a bit on the sweet side. When I find women's scents that I adore I remind myself to stop searching the "men's" fragrance lists, because as an enthusiast, there is so much I would miss out on.

I've smelled guys that smelled like fruit or flowers...why? Their hair products. Their laundry detergent. They hugged their girlfriend. They're wearing Joop, or Aqua di Gio, or D&G Blue (sold as a men's scent here in many Japanese shops).

I think what's most imprtant is that we smell good - the fact we wear fragrance at all says something about the images we project. of course, what I think smells good, and what other people think smells good isn't always the same, so I think it comes down to this - a scent is generally unwearable (because of it's perceived gender) only by someone who is worried about what others think...and really, that's not such a bad thing...but I wanna wear what I like.

Blah, blah, blah...I wanna say more but think I'll stop here...after all, who am I trying to convince?

Cute story (even if I am late to the party) and I do love NU edp.
    I find it very warm and spicy and cuddly and would imagine it would suit a man admirably.

As to men wearing women's scents : well , it depends on the man. If he's masculine looking enough , no amount of rose fragrance could deduce from it , no matter how hard he tried...... Imagine Sean Connery for example. Would he look less of a man wearing a woman's scent?
    (actually he does wear a woman's scent, he wears Jicky , as you can see in my site PerfumeShrine)

I would absolutely never wear women's scents for that reason.

People would recognize them as being women's, no matter how supposedly masculine they smelled. And there is no way that I would want anyone, even a strager in the subway or on the street, to wonder why I would wear a woman's perfume.

And since I dress and act like a traditional gentleman at all times, I find wearing a cologne enhances the image. And in no way would a woman's fragrance do just that.

There were times where I wore men's fragrances that border on being unisex, because I really liked the smell. But I always eventually gave them away. Or now after finding Basenotes, I would come to my senses and swap them.

Post Thanks / Like

To add to my own thread... *8-)

The other day I told a woman I was wearing #22. She exclaimed, "That's a woman's scent!" I explained that men wear it too sometimes. She wasn't buying it. I got a response. I know what she was thinking (I think). She probably thinks, "Now, why would this guy wear woman's perfume?" She came closer and took a whiff. She said, "It smells nice, but you smell like a woman."

I guess we have to understand that some people will think and feel this way. It is somewhat of a risk. Why it is risky - is a long story.

I think it is fair to say that there is the possibility that this can have some far-reaching implications.

I get the feeling that this subject will always be "like religion and politics."

~S.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan
    And since I dress and act like a traditional gentleman at all times, I find wearing a cologne enhances the image.
    What do you mean by 'traditional' gentleman? :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    [quote author=MikeFromManhattan link=1130364485/30#37 date=1130408884]And since I dress and act like a traditional gentleman at all times, I find wearing a cologne enhances the image.
    What do you mean by 'traditional' gentleman? *:-/[/quote]

Conservative appearance - jacket and tie, well groomed, professional.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan
    [quote author=Xen link=1130364485/30#39 date=1130413078][quote author=MikeFromManhattan link=1130364485/30#37 date=1130408884]And since I dress and act like a traditional gentleman at all times, I find wearing a cologne enhances the image.
    What do you mean by 'traditional' gentleman? :-/[/quote]

[/quote]
    I was thinking gentleman's cane, top hat, vest, tailcoat etc etc... ;D

To add to my own thread... *8-)

The other day I told a woman I was wearing #22. She exclaimed, "That's a woman's scent!" I explained that men wear it too sometimes. She wasn't buying it. I got a response. I know what she was thinking (I think). She probably thinks, "Now, why would this guy wear woman's perfume?" She came closer and took a whiff. She said, "It smells nice, but you smell like a woman."
    But that was after you had told her the name. Maybe she wouldn´t have made that coment if she didn´t know which one it was?
    If I smelled a noticable sillage of Coco Mademoiselle I would maybe expect to see a woman, but if I turned around and saw a man I would be pleasantly surprised and probably think "well here´s a person genuinly interested in perfumes, who doesn´t care about wich gender it is marketed towards" (that certainly doesn´t have to be the case, but It could be). As always, it depends on for which reason we were fragrances. Do we were them to send out unmistakable signals (based upon habit, tradition, biology or whatever it might be...not so important here)about which gender we belong to? I don´t. I can feel uncomfortable in to heavy musky fragrances, but there are chypres and fougčres marketed towards men (or that would be marketed towards men if they had been achieved before the unisex era) that I enjoy wearing. But maybe some people do, and then it´s probably more rewarding to avoid Coco mademoiselle, Nu, No 5, No 2 and the others. So, i would say, as has been said many times, wear what you like, and feel comfortable in, and what suits your motives.

Quote Originally Posted by scenteur7
    I've smelled guys that smelled like fruit or flowers...why? Their hair products. Their laundry detergent. They hugged their girlfriend. They're wearing Joop, or Aqua di Gio, or D&G Blue (sold as a men's scent here in many Japanese shops).
    Exacly! There are so many other things that help creating our scent, than the actual fragrance. And apart from all these scented products we use; traces from where we have been, what we have done, the weather, the season, the fabrics of our clothes, etc. OK, a fragrance is something we chose, but our skin and body chemistry, and the rest of our scent-arsenal filters it to something unique on us.

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Nu story too.

One morning I was making rounds and I noticed a wonderful scent at the nurse's station as I walked by. I intentionally walked back to see if I could find the source. It seemed to be coming from a male colleague and I exclaimed, "Is it you who smells so good? What is that?" He replied "YSL Nu". I was awestruck, but it smelled great on him. I do have to admit it changed my impression of him. I had been aware of him as a soft-spoken, pleasant and caring physician--don't really know him that well. Had never discussed personal life with him other than "what's up this weekend" stuff, but when I put his character, his excellent dress and grooming, and the "feminine" perfume together, it struck me that he was probably gay--a thought I'd never had before, and perhaps totally unfounded. I have moved since then so I never had a chance to get any closure on this story. Of course, I have worn Nu before and since, and I wouldn't jump to the same conclusions about myself...

Post Thanks / Like

The Nu was coming from a blonde lady sitting at the bar. Yes, I know its all wrong for blondes, but that's not the issue. Just kidding, actually I think I may like it better on blondes because it makes them smolder a bit.
    Well, Indie_Guy, I always like reading your job-related scented stories. And I am blond and Nu is about the only musk-based scent that I wear and enjoy, even during the dog-days of summer. I also enjoy wearing woody-mossy concoctions, labeled as chypres, but I am blond...
    With wonders of the modern chemistry I could easily be a red-head or a purple-head :, but I think I would still like Nu....

Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

To aztec's mention of men who think any fragrance on a man is a little feminine - my own sister asked if I was becoming a "girly man" when she found out I have a dozen bottles of cologne. I was under the impression that "most" (I have no way to qualify this) women liked men to smell good and typically thought it stupid for men to get hung up on masculinity issues. Here, I'm getting the totally opposite message. I guess its good that I'm not trying to attract my sister, but I wonder how many women carry this particular double standard. It might be OK for a man to have one or two frags, but a cabinet full is somehow feminine even if it is full of super masculine scents. I will never get it.

[/quote]
    I was thinking gentleman's cane, top hat, vest, tailcoat etc etc... *;D[/quote]

When I read this I had to roar with laughter....lol.....I can imagine if a bunch of noters got together it would win a fricking Emmy..... ;D ;D ;D.

Anyway the fem frags' I wear which are Prada and Black Cashmere are usually mixed with some body oils, so most folks don't know what the frick I am wearing...but only that it smells nice.

Peace,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Quote Originally Posted by scenteur7
    ...Blah, blah, blah...I wanna say more but think I'll stop here...after all, who am I trying to convince?
    Sssshhhhh.... you had me at "My story about Nu..."

Griff

Griff

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking gentleman's cane, top hat, vest, tailcoat etc etc... ;D[/quote]

When I read this I had to roar with laughter....lol.....I can imagine if a bunch of noters got together it would win a fricking Emmy..... ;D ;D ;D.

Anyway the fem frags' I wear which are Prada and Black Cashmere are usually mixed with some body oils, so most folks don't know what the frick I am wearing...but only that it smells nice.

Peace,

Otto
    [/quote]
    No, I don't think any of us wear that. I'm sure none of us is from the 19th century! I was just thinking how weird it would be if a man dressed up like that wore Chanel 05 ;D

No, I don't think any of us wear that. I'm sure none of us is from the 19th century! I was just thinking how weird it would be if a man dressed up like that wore Chanel 05 ;D
    He would be a real live "fop." You don't see fops anymore. Sad. They were quite common in my day.

Griff
    Griff

you won't catch me in a sundress even though they look pretty goddamn comfortable.

..........More of a leather mini skirt, 5-inch stiletto heels bloke myself. * * *

Post Thanks / Like

I managed to obtain Hanae Mori for women in a recent swap to give to my non-fragrance-passionate sister (I'm trying to change her tastes). Before sending it off to her, I decided to spray some on for the day. It's very feminine, but enjoyable! I wonder who will notice.

Personally, I have always affiliated NU with masculinity. When first I purchased it, I was disappointed with the mannish drydown. (Although nothing nearly as intolerable as after I first sprayed on Alexander McQueen's "Kingdom." lol ) There was too much of a cloying incense to NU which weighed too heavily on my skin. Which is not to say I don't prefer to wear a man's fragrance from time to time. I do own Habit Rouge, Green Irish Tweed & Caron's Pour Un Homme & at times you just can't beat the clean, brisk freshly-showered aura of these scents on days when you need that certain pick-me-up. I abhor "Bandit" and yet I love "Cabochard." I actually prefer to wear "Aramis" over its female counterpart, Lauder's "Azuree."
    When I first smelled "Helmut Lang" on another woman, I kept thinking that I should be smelling that on a man, or at least I would prefer it more on a man. On the other hand, "Costume National" could very well be worn by both sexes. I guess it's all in where your head & sense of smell are at the time.

I'm with Indy Guy on this, how morally wrong and whatever the reason may be, I just feel uncomfortable wearing womens marketed perfumes, so I won't. Some unisex marketed like SMW is as far as I will go. *And it's strange ,I know, but I really don't know how I would react , if one of my male friends was wearing Chanel no5. *I respect guy's on this board though, who enjoy womens scent. to each his own.

[quote author=MikeFromManhattan link=1130364485/30#40 date=1130413745][quote author=Xen link=1130364485/30#39 date=1130413078][quote author=MikeFromManhattan link=1130364485/30#37 date=1130408884]And since I dress and act like a traditional gentleman at all times, I find wearing a cologne enhances the image.
    What do you mean by 'traditional' gentleman? *:-/[/quote]

[/quote]
    I was thinking gentleman's cane, top hat, vest, tailcoat etc etc... *;D[/quote]

No, not that tradiitional!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, I guess since I'm telling stories about work, I guess I'll tell you what else happened last night, but this is a bit embarrassing, so don't razz me about it!

I was watching the baseball game, walking around tables, talking to my customers, making smalltalk etc. *There was this one guy whose sexuality was... lets just say after three glasses of wine, I think was hitting on me. *It was odd because we were talking about baseball (he didn't know much about it but he tried to fake it-that's strike one). *He was from Texas and rooting for the Astros, and after I told him I was pulling for the Sox, he slowly became a Sox fan- Strike two. I even berated him and told him to grow some freakin balls. *I was trying to just be friendly talking to him, but he kept bumping into me and touching me. *I was about to walk away. Then he kind of leaned into me and inhaled my SOTD (Sequoia), and then he just inexplicably dropped his wine glass and it broke all over the floor, and everyone in the place turned to look. *And then drunkenly,he says to me, "Oh...I'm sorry, I was just talking to you and i forgot where I was." Strike-f*cking three!!! I was so embarrassed by this guy, and as I went to get a broom, this girl I work with was like, "Hey, is that guy your lover or something?" *I'm sure my face was red. *Its a good thing I easily laugh about stuff like this.

;D

I noticed you've never posted your pic on the member photos thread, I WANNNNNNA SEEEEEE now! OH YES!

Post Thanks / Like

You knew you were smelling Nu though so of course you were looking for a woman to be wearing it since, after all, it is marketed to women. Most men dont wear womens fragrances so you arent going to think a man would be wearing it. What if you DIDNT know it was Nu? Would you have still thought it was a womens frag? I doubt it. I dont think florals per se are what makes something smell feminine....its aldehydes. Aldehydes make scents smell very perfumey and strong. I think only strong, perfumey aldehydic scents are scents people would be looking around to see what women was wearing it. For example, i had a bottle of Quelques Fleurs not to long ago. I wore it a few times and then got rid of it. To me it was WAAAAAAY to perfumey for me, a guy, to wear. I am sure people wondered about me when i wore it. It didnt even smell floral to me. It was just VERY STRONG PERFUME. Chnael no. 5 is the same way as you mentioned. Nu doesnt smell perfumey so i dont think it would get mistaken as womens perfume.
    Awesomeguy

I doubt she would have made up her mind so quickly if she hadn't recognized the scent. She knew from the beginning that it was marketed as a female scent and reacted because that. At least I think so.

Oh I didn't see Vinterdroppe's reply before I posted this...

Just thought I'd throw this out there: I seem to recall reading that Old Spice was originally marketed as a women's perfume, but was a commercial failure so it was repackaged and relaunched as a male fragrance.

By the way, I do wear Nu, and Black Cashmere is probably my most frequently worn scent of late. I wore Black Cashmere to my guitar lesson last week and got a compliment from my teacher, who is a middle-aged, straight-arrow, far-right conservative. When I told him it was a women's perfume, he didn't bat an eye and asked me where he could buy it. When I wore Azzaro Visit on a recent date, my date asked if she could borrow it.

I do think it's legitimate to perceive a fragrance as SMELLING masculine or feminine TO YOUR NOSE, but I wouldn't subordinate my own perception on this issue to the decision of a commercial marketing department.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP