Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: A thought for guys who wear womens scents

I personally don't give a s*** WHAT people think. If I like it, I wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoL2
    [quote author=Indie_Guy link=1130364485/0#9 date=1130367821]
    ;D

I noticed you've never posted your pic on the member photos thread, I WANNNNNNA SEEEEEE now! OH YES! [/quote]

I would, but I don't have a clue about computers. *If I have a Verizon phone, and take a picture with it, how can I get it uploaded. *I suppose I could send it to my email, but then how does one take a picture and get it onto here?

Any help?

Back to the main topic. *Just got off work again. *I sprayed myself with Nu. *Man, i so want this to work on me, but it just behaves like a perfume. *I love the smell of it, but for one- it ATTACKS my nose like a perfume does. *Call me weird, but I think generally mens and womens perfumes actually FEEL different to your palate when you breathe them in. *And also , to whomever said its the aldehydes and not the florals that makes something feminine- that could be somewhat true. *Although I think Rive Gauche pour homme is crawling with aldehydes and isn't feminine in the least.

I can see why alot of guys would wear Nu. *It does have some very masculine, dark qualities. *But when people say things like "It should have been marketed to men instead of women", I guess thats where I take slight issue. *I think this fragrance AS IS, is very much a womens' perfume. A very unconventional womens' perfume, but to me...I just think its a bit of a stretch for a man to pull off. *And later before I go to bed, I'm going to take a bath and use the Nu shower gel and see if i don't change my mind. *But in further praise of Nu, I'd really like to see the women who give it away because its "too masculine". *Because damn, if I smelled this on a girl i would go wild.

Now if Nu were tweaked to remove the orchid, like I said, I'd like to try wearing it. *But as is, I just think it will always be too feminine. *But give me credit for being honest- *The following may disprove my point. *I once asked my brother what he thought of Nu after I bought it. (it was a trick, I didn't tell him it was for women, i just sprayed some on my hand). *He smelled it and said, "Its different, but its not too bad." *He didn't love it but he didn't say "hey you bought womens' perfume". *But then after I told him it was for women, he said "Yeah I kind of thought it smelled like ladies perfume, but I didn't want to say anything"

So if you are a man who likes to wear Nu, by all means continue- Its a great fragrance. *It just smells too feminine for me to wear. *If you are a woman who likes to wear Nu, then you've definitely figured out how to mystify a man. Good work!

I did get a compliment on CdG Dry Clean tonight at work-but I solicited it, so it doesn't really count. *I asked this cute girl I work with to smell my neck, and she liked it and kept sniffing me saying, "yeah, it smells really clean, I like fresh scents on a guy." I told her it was called Dry Clean and she said it really did smell like dry cleaning. *I'm on the fence over this scent. *Its not bad, but it doesn't really do much for me. *I'm kind of neutral on it. *There's nothing in it to either love or hate. *I love Skai though.

Any advice on getting pics posted from a camera phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Any advice on getting pics posted from a camera phone?
    If your cellphone has a Bluetooth device and your computer does too it should be no trouble at all. My computer doesn't so I bought a cheap one for maybe $10. Uhm, but I guess from your comment here that it might be trouble after all, since you said you knew practically nothing about these things. Well, try to locate if you have a Bluuetooth device first

nope on the bluetooth.

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3
    (on NU): .... Most men dont wear womens fragrances so you arent going to think a man would be wearing it. What if you DIDNT know it was Nu? Would you have still thought it was a womens frag? I doubt it. ....
    Nu - marketed for women, says the directory. I think those pilot posters are not all that clear on that and wonder who they may be aiming at here. After all St. Laurent are famous / infamous for letting the cat among the pigeons, scentwise and with campains also. I hope they will continue that devillish game.

http://www.psine.net/parfum/collecti...e_Toilette.jpg

http://www.psine.net/parfum/collecti...nt/Nu/Nu_4.jpg

amended 10-30: A major (Swiss-German) e-trader lists NU Edt exclusively in Colognes for Men and the EdP exclusively in Perfume/Colognes for Women (if that helps). www.geschenkidee.ch/de/parfum_produktelinie.html?catalog.cat=136&cata log.brand=Yves%20Saint%20Laurent&catalog.line= Nu
    Last edited by narcus; 26th December 2006 at 04:29 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    [quote author=smitsky link=1130364485/30#38 date=1130409193]The other day I told a woman I was wearing #22. She exclaimed, "That's a woman's scent!" I explained that men wear it too sometimes. She wasn't buying it. I got a response. I know what she was thinking (I think). She probably thinks, "Now, why would this guy wear woman's perfume?" She came closer and took a whiff. She said, "It smells nice, but you smell like a woman."
    I doubt she would have made up her mind so quickly if she hadn't recognized the scent. She knew from the beginning that it was marketed as a female scent and reacted because that. At least I think so.
    [/quote]

Yes, I agree 100%. I saw her again yesterday. We had a nice conversation in which I explained that I like the drydown of #22 which is very "incensey" to me.

~S.

indie,

once you get the pic onto your computer (via email or whatever), then all you need to do is find a host. there are several free ones. or you can email it to me and i'll host it. then all you do is link it in your post.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I'm curious about Nu now, haven't smelled it before. Sooo... Should I go with EdP or EdT? Any remarkable differences?

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    I'm curious about Nu now, haven't smelled it before. Sooo... Should I go with EdP or EdT? Any remarkable differences?

Get the EDP....MUCH stronger and more incensey smelling. Its awesome. You'll love it.
    Awesomeguy

OK, I gotta put in my $0.02 now.

Not until me finding Basenotes did I even consider trying "women's" fragrances to wear. Not that it was taboo.....I just never thought of it. I was guided by the "marketing geniuses." But I stumbled upon Basenotes, signed up on EZBoard (months ago), and started chatting with people like Scenteur7, IPaidForThisName, AZSmells, DocLuv45, Serpent, and, of course, Paul G. After chatting and reading threads and replies and opinions, I decided..."...I should try some of these scents!" The very first I tried was Kingdom. I know this is redundand, but the first time was funky at very first, great for a couple hours, and went weak after two and a half hours. Although bummed, I bought the quirky Kingdom and gave it a full wearing. WOW! Bold, brash, borderline maniacal....definitely a "special occassion" scent. Only if I wanna be brash, bold, and almost insane!! Bottom line: Kingdom works well on me, but it's not for everyday.

After trying Kingdom months ago, I tried Black Cashmere by Donna Karan. I took a chance figuring it would work and bought it semi-blind. First full wearing: Excellent!! A rich, exotic, comforting and somewhat opulent brew!! I remember being in Lord & Taylor (Woodfield, I believe) and an older SA (lady) saying: "....oh, Black Cashmere was nice. We don't have it anymore. Some women found it too spicy." I wore Black Cashmere on a July night to a friends house and bringing a bottle along. My buddy and one of his pals were hard pressed to believe this was a female-marketed scent. "No way! This is not a fragrance I'd imagine a women wearing," said they, "too rich and spicy!" This is a great cool-weather scent! I'm sold.

Nu....I tried it. Does not work well on my skin. Gets a little weak after a while.

Hypnotic Poison was nice.....but a little too sweet and reminded me too much of cookies. Maybe later, little red flacon......

I recently tried the new Euphoria by Calvin Klein. Ahh! Interesting....sweet like A-Men with a little froral and woods. On my skin it seemed to take on a personality like A-Men with a smidge of Iquitos. Very interesting scent but I wanna try it again before shelling out the bucks for it.

Bottom line: Fragrance is not made on an anatomical platform or in a visual fashion sense. If it smells good and doesn't bother you or others, WEAR IT!! I wouldn't wear something too sweet and floral if it bothers me or others. Lot's of "men's" fragrances are soft and feminine smelling, but they sell. If you like it, wear it. A recent wearing of Kingdom to a concert got me some attention in that a co-worker commented on a waitress that smelled "like a stripper." I laughed and told him that scent is probably me. He said, "No, man. What you got on is musky and smoky and pretty dark. It's all manly and what-not. SHE smells sweet and flowery!"

If it works on you.....WEAR IT!!! Save your apologies and fears. Your nose and the noses of strangers will resound their approval or disapproval.

LOL! All this talk makes me think of the time months ago that Uncle Griff challenged Coleman to try some unlabeled scents to see what he thought. All were to be feminine-marketed and not identified. Did that ever happen? If so, what were the thoughts on this. What a great offer, Griff!

Here-Here, duxoop, that's the 2 cents we needed to hear! If it's too sweet or too floral or too soft for you, set it to the side and on to the next bunch of scents, that's all! ;D I'm thinking of trying Contradiction for women a try again, I think a dude could pull it off considering the more softer Mens-marketed scents out there!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by duxoop772
    All this talk makes me think of the time months ago that Uncle Griff challenged Coleman to try some unlabeled scents to see what he thought. *All were to be feminine-marketed and not identified. *Did that ever happen? *If so, what were the thoughts on this. *What a great offer, Griff! *
    Is someone taking my name in vain?

I've been staying out of this thread as the subject does seem to upset some cats. *Not so much this time, though. *And my thoughts are, as I can see, already well known on the subject! *But that's just what they are. *My thoughts. *For me. *Like you say -- if wearing the women's juice works for you, do it! *Different strokes and all that. *And I'm always open to suggestion and change. *Who knows? *Maybe there's a ladies' frag out there with my name all over it!
    But Griff never sent me a package -- I figured he got busy and forgot about it. *I didn't want to impose by bringing it up again. *No worries. *I still love the guy! *He sent me a decant of L'Autre once out of the blue, and I'll never forget that. *(How could you? *It's L'Autre!) *He's aces.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman
    Is someone taking my name in vain?

I've been staying out of this thread as the subject does seem to upset some cats. *Not so much this time, though. *And my thoughts are, as I can see, already well known on the subject! *But that's just what they are. *My thoughts. *For me. *Like you say -- if wearing the women's juice works for you, do it! *Different strokes and all that. *And I'm always open to suggestion and change. *Who knows? *Maybe there's a ladies' frag out there with my name all over it!
    But Griff never sent me a package -- I figured he got busy and forgot about it. *I didn't want to impose by bringing it up again. *No worries. *I still love the guy! *He sent me a decant of L'Autre once out of the blue, and I'll never forget that. *(How could you? *It's L'Autre!) *He's aces.
    Hi Coleman!!! I always think of you when threads like this crop up. Nice to hear from you.

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Hi Coleman!!! I always think of you when threads like this crop up. Nice to hear from you.
    Thanks, brother! Haven't been by much of late, but my good vibes always go out to the BaseNotes crew. Love and respect to all!

Hey Coleman!!

Sorry to put 'ya on the spot like that, man! This thread just made me think of that situation so I mentioned it in my babble. Please don't take it as a jab......I certainly didn't mean it like that. Just wondering if you gave any a spin. Believe me.....I've tried frags both men's and women's that had me going towards the closest source of soap and water! Like I said....if it works and you like it, wear it! Doesn't matter at all who ir was made for....it's all in what YOU, as an individual, like!!

BTW...still gotta get around to trying some Zino. That is, if you didn't snag the world's supply of it in the Grinch-like plan you devised!!

See, now that's a fun moment! That's why we love 'ya man!! ;D ;D ;D

I know I'm too late, but what's finally THE thought? :-?

"Wear it, if it works for you" kind of stuff is old as Creed :, but the discussion IMO missed a bit its key cultural point. That's about not just "wear what you like", but if you're, say, "comments-sensitive" then also mind people you're working/partying with so that their "whoah! my grandma's nightcap smell!" didn't appear at all or at least wouldn't make you feel uncomfortable.

I think savouring scents (personally) and wearing them in public are two different things, as in the latter situation you're comfort and enjoyment is kind of limited by this particular public's taste, manners and *tactfulness*(remember this word?). It seems like it's a forgotten idea, that if one wants to have some good time, he/she shouldn't (and, in fact, couldn't) do that by spoiling the others'.

All in all, I think this thread isn't about Nu or Chanel No.5 or any other perfume a guy could be wanting to wear.

Sorry for a bit incoherent writing.
    Regards, Odor.
    "One man's "cat piss" is another one's "masterpiece" (popular fragrance wisdom)

Quote Originally Posted by The-odor

I think savouring scents (personally) and wearing them in public are two different things, as in the latter situation you're comfort and enjoyment is kind of limited by this particular public's taste, manners and *tactfulness*(remember this word?). It seems like it's a forgotten idea, that if one wants to have some good time, he/she shouldn't (and, in fact, couldn't) do that by spoiling the others'.

Odor.
    O

Odor. I couldn't agree more. I have quite a few scents that are for my private enjoyment, but that I just would never wear publicly. Opium (for women), Coco, Dioressence are a few examples. They are magnificent fragrances, but could you ever see a man going to work in a suit wearing Opium (the women's version)?

I laugh when I see people on this board saying: "I don't give a feck what other people think, I'll wear what I like!". Vulgarity is all about a lack of self-restraint.

I have met many women that wear masculine fragrances! In fact a female friend of mine at uni used to wear Drakkar Noir while being extra feminine at all times!!! I believe women are not as inhibited as men when it comes to expressing themselves with scent and men should learn from this !

As for me I used to wear female scents in the past (i.e. Hypnotic Poison, Laguna (W), Bulgari (W) etc...). Nowdays I dont but that's due to the fact that I'm satisfied with the male scents I own!

Quote Originally Posted by verve
    Vulgarity is all about a lack of self-restraint.
    I prefer the vulgar to the shallow at any time.
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

Besides, why would it be vulgar to follow one's own taste?
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

Well, as I’ve said I don’t wear women’s frags—but really only because I haven’t found one that appeals to me personally. I mean hell, half of the men’s frags I come across smell too “delicate” or feminine to me. I’m the original BaseNotes gorilla that shaves with napalm and blah blah blah. But it’s certainly not the case that I don’t wear women’s frags because I’m concerned about what anybody would think if they caught a sniff of me wearing one. I mean, really. Who gives that much of a shit about what “other people” think of him (or her)? The thought doesn’t enter my mind.
    Guess I’m vulgar.

Quote Originally Posted by duxoop772
    Hey Coleman!!

Sorry to put 'ya on the spot like that, man! *This thread just made me think of that situation so I mentioned it in my babble. *Please don't take it as a jab......I certainly didn't mean it like that. *Just wondering if you gave any a spin. *Believe me.....I've tried frags both men's and women's that had me going towards the closest source of soap and water! *Like I said....if it works and you like it, wear it! *Doesn't matter at all who ir was made for....it's all in what YOU, as an individual, like!!

BTW...still gotta get around to trying some Zino. *That is, if you didn't snag the world's supply of it in the Grinch-like plan you devised!! *

See, now that's a fun moment! *That's why we love 'ya man!! * ;D ;D ;D
    No sweat, my friend. *I didn't feel jabbed or on the spot at all! *And really, my God man -- you must try yourself some Zino! *Before it's gone! *(If the impending-discontinuation rumors are in fact, true.) *You may even want to run out and buy... well, maybe a bottle (or six).
    ;D

Odor,

It seems you got the point of my thread. *I was trying to make a certain point with my thread, and, as always, it got hammered at by the "I don't care what anyone thinks" posts. *Fine, I'm sure alot of people really don't care what other people think. *Actually I'm certain alot of people don't care what other people think, because two nights ago, this crowd of guys in my bar was wearing so much cologne that I almost got sick. *Someone was wearing Lolita Lempicka, and it was disgusting. *Now here's the nuance that people seem to miss. *I personally like the smell of Lempicka as a fragrance composition. *But this guy who was wearing it the other night was sucking the air out of the room. *And perhaps he had only applied two or three sprays. *All the staff working was gagging. *I was gagging. There was no way to avoid the wall of cologne, outside of not breathing. It was a faux pas of the highest order. *It was not a pleasant experience but there are two possible explanations.

Explanation 1) This guy liked his Lempicka perhaps a bit too much, and had carelessly applied so much that it really caused people within 15 feet of him to be inconvenienced. *He had definitely not intended to do so, and if he was aware how it was for those around him, being like most members of society, he would have realized his error, and next time not worn so much. *After all its likely that he just wanted to smell himself, because he really did like the smell of his cologne, and it was a treat to for him to smell. *And in all likelihood, if this guy was aware of his surroundings, and the "stink" he was causing, he would alter his behavior in the future. *Cowardice or just being respectful of others?

Explanation 2) *This guy was a crazed narcissist who purposely sprayed a ridiculous amount of Lempicka, without regard for "what others think" and as a consequence, may be aware that other people cannot breathe, and just doesn't care. *Actually he takes pride in ramming his cologne into everybody else's space. *Complete strangers who are out with friends, who are not even intending to be a part of this guy's social circle for the evening, are now forced to endure his SOTD. *And perhaps he wore the deo stick, body lotion, aftershave gel, and lip balm JUST IN CASE there was somebody who couldn't smell him. *This guy lives to please himself and if a bystander is not on board with the wind he is emanating, then his or her nose is not evolved enough. *Sure, he wears clean dress shirts, nice shoes, and has a nice haircut, because, hey, he cares what others think- *Except also the reverse is true because he DOESN'T care what others think, at least thats what he tells himself and others.

See, the guy in Explanation 1 is a decent guy who actually deep down "cares" what other people think, perhaps because he is a social animal who believes in the golden rule. *He did f*ck up by wearing too much of his favorite scent- maybe he just received it that day, and thought it had faded and he couldn't detect it. *Perhaps all night he wondered if maybe he wasn't putting people off a little bit by wearing so much cologne. *Perhaps he made a mental note to go just a tad lighter next time. *Maybe he thought to himself, "Hey I LOVE this scent, but when I'm in the close presence of other people, I'll think more about the conversation and focus on other people and then Sunday morning when I'm home with nothing to do, I'll douse myself with Lempicka and enjoy the sillage and evolution, and it will be my own personal aromatherapy session." *Surely if a little angel tapped on his shoulder while he was stinking up the room and said, "Hey Bob, You went a little heavy tonight on the cologne, and its causing people to perceive you negatively. *If you want, I can wave my magic wand and make your cologne vanish, " he would blush, and say "I had no idea. Do your stuff Tinkerbell." *The guy in Explanation 1 does not, at the end of the day, like to have a precious little bottle of juice from some boutique somewhere undermine his sociability. *He is a good and decent human.

Now, the guy in Explanation 2 is just a self-centered assh@le...

Oh, I'm not calling any of you assh@les, BTW!

I'm just trying to make a point!

Lip balm? *LOL!
    If I may, though—it sounds like you’re confusing “caring what people think about you” and “courtesy.”
    It’s one thing to let perceived peer pressure... well, pressure you into wearing this or that or not wearing this or that for fear you may be judged or thought weird or... whatever.
    And it’s another thing to be courteous and not plaster yourself with something, making everyone around you miserable. *
    For instance: *I don’t wish to make other people uncomfortable, prevent them from enjoying their own environment—so I’d think twice about hosing myself down with some Uber-Juice if I was working in close quarters with others. *This is called being courteous.
    And it’s different from: *Even though I’d like to, I’m not going to wear a woman’s fragrance around other people, cause they’ll think I’m queer. *This is called being a pussy.
    You see the difference?
    I’m all in favor of the first. *As George Costanza always said: *we’re living in a SOCIETY, HERE!
    As for the second? *Not so much. *

And it’s different from: *Even though I’d like to, I’m not going to wear a woman’s fragrance around other people, cause they’ll think I’m queer. *This is called being a pussy.
    I just don't want to smell like a woman, and specifically it has to do with Nu. *This doesn't make me a pussy. *It just makes me a man. *I'm not above wearing a women's scent provided it doesn't smell like a woman. That's just me, and what I'm comfortable with. *I've gotten to a point where I am very comfortable with my heterosexuality. LOL! And I've taken alot of verbal bullets for my gay brothers. *But I'm not out to prove anything in what fragrance I wear. *I was only speaking for myself, and of my feelings toward Nu. *But also, I think its a kind of incorrect to throw thinking like "they'll think I'm queer" into discussions of wearing women's fragrance. *I'd rather someone think I was queer than think, "He's wearing womens' perfume." *You see now? *Its not an issue of gay=woman. *I'm sure alot of gays wholeheartedly agree. *Its a different thing, although in the real world, probably not all that mutually exclusive. *But for the sake of argument, I'm not equating gayness with emasculation. I'm equating masculinity with masculinity. And really I didn't even really want to get into the whole pan-sexual thing anyway, because...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So why then did I even start this thread? Why did I buy Nu if I'm so "closed minded" and all that jazz? *Well, the fact that I bought Nu should prove that I was willing to give it a shot. *But for as much as I tried to rationalize Nu in my mind as being unisex, when I smelled it in passing, I just couldn't imagine it working for a man. *To me, Nu is just a very butch woman dressed as a man with a mustache playfully drawn on in marker. *Its not the sum of its parts, I can't look at it and say "well its 90% masculine and 10% feminine" and therefore its more masculine than feminine. *I think it was a very "knowingly conceived" fragrance. *Not at all some flop that flopped because it was marketed to the wrong gender, and all that.(And yes I'm aware Tom Ford supposedly wore it). *I think Nu flopped because women are just not into wearing this kind of heavy scent these days. *They're into all this fruity Body-works stuff and I think alot of them may be afraid of a "real perfume". *And also it was a bit of a concept fragrance in the same way that M7 and Rive Gauche pour homme were. *Too lofty for the overly-washed masses. *Yes, *I know alot of women said it was too masculine for them (OMG, what a bunch of pussies, for caring what people think), but then again Nu is not the kind of scent that alot of WOMEN can pull off, just as alot of guys would look stupid trying to pull off Yatagan. *

Can't help it, at the end of the day Nu smells like a sexy, complicated woman to me. *For me to wear it would be to send a message that would be ridiculous for me to send. *That's that.

Can't wait to try Eau des Merveilles though...

Hmm. *Think you’re misunderstanding me here.
    If you don’t want to wear Nu because you think it smells like it belongs on a woman and you personally don’t want to smell like a woman, that doesn’t make you a pussy. *Not what I was saying. *I was talking about some made-up guy from my imagination (“well this is not based on fact”) that likes and really wants to wear a particular woman’s fragrance but won’t because he’s afraid of “what other people would think.” *That, to me, is ridiculous. *That’s the point I was getting at. *I was using that as an example to contrast with my feelings about why I don’t want to wear women’s fragrances—which actually sound like they’re yours as well. *(At least, where this Nu is concerned.)
    I mean, I just don’t want to wear women’s fragrances because, to me, they all smell like they’re for... well, women. *And like you said, I, personally, don’t want to smell like a woman. *
    But not because I care if someone, sniffing me, would think I was weird or insane or gay or from another galaxy or had women’s undies on or whatever. *One thing is entirely different from the other.
    Which seems to be the point that some folks, including yourself, if I may say so, apparently have some trouble understanding. *Like when you zinged me with this: *

“alot of women said it was too masculine for them (OMG, what a bunch of pussies, for caring what people think)...”

Do you see how the first part of your sentence doesn’t necessarily lead to the second? *“A lot of women said it was too masculine for them.” *Well that doesn't necessarily mean they care that other people might think it's too masculine. *Not quiiiiiiiiite the same thing.

See what I’m saying?

I’m not really picking a bone with you because it sounds like we have a similar stance on ladies’ fragrances. *I was actually trying (in my clumsy, inarticulate way) to defend our position. *To say that yes:

1.) *There probably are some guys who don’t wear ladies frags entirely because they’re afraid of “what people would think,” but that:

2.) *There are also those of us who don’t wear ladies frags because they just don’t appeal to our own personal aesthetic. *

And these are. *Two. *Different. *Things.

I apologize if I’ve been going on too long and/or repeating myself, but I felt like I was not getting my point across and that perhaps I had put my foot in my mouth. *(Again!) *I hate it when that happens!

Coleman,
    you cleared that out perfectly.

Indie_Guy,
    again I think it's not really about Nu.

I think I sort of understand your way of thinking on masculinity, and would like to add that a man always (!) has something to say, even when received those "ya wearing women's perfume!" kind of comments.

Courteous people are unlikely to come up with any of this kind.
    For others, why don't you just develop a line of answering as, say, Basenoters' weapon of defence for uncomfortable situations in question.

Let's just think it over a bit.

1. Reflection time
    What does matter for the perfect answer?
    a. who's making a comment?
    If such comment is made by a near relation/close friend then it most likely a joke and there's nothing wrong about it. If that person is just an acquaintance of yours or someone you don't know at all - that's the case that the thinking is for.
    b. does the person who comments (and, probably, people participating the conversation) know of your scented hobby? Some scentaholics are quite open with their hobby, others are not, but if a person knows of you and makes a comment, that's most probably a joke too, so nohing to worry about.

So what do we got. The comment is most likely to be made by a passing acquaintance or a stranger that has no clue of your passion with scents. If you're in public (working, partying or something), let's think the public is mixed type (some people know you, some don't).

2. Possible lines, for answering questions like "YOU wearing women's perfume?" or "Who's wearing women's perfume?" (with strange looks towards you)
    NOTE: of course, you shouldn't react (let alone answer) when it's a question just "into the air", not aimed at you personally.

- Could be me, I've probably mixed up the bottles in the bathroom this morning with my GF's,
    - Funny you noticed, I made a bottle exchange with my GF, just for kicks,
    - You think so? I have some strange feeling about my cologne too, hmmm... didn't strike me when I sprayed it on. Got it as a gift, you know, it seems colognes are much girlier these days.
    - You still can smell it? A while ago I took an elevator where some woman had it too much on (cough!).
    - I've been choosing a gift for my GF/wife (experts advise to try scents on skin, you know).

...it seems to me there's A LOT more of these. I'm from somewhat different background so I don't know all the nuances of humane treatment in your neck of woods.
    I hope the guys who "don't give a sh!t" will add a little; those who do might want to be of help too.

Regards, Odor.
    "One man's "cat piss" is another one's "masterpiece" (popular fragrance wisdom)

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter
    Besides, why would it be vulgar to follow one's own taste?
    Well, it wouldn't be vulgar if everyone had good taste. Unfortunately, many people don't. Good taste is all about wearing the right thing at the right time. And often it involves taking other people's feelings and perceptions into account (just like good manners, actually). Would it be considered vulgar for a woman to turn up for an interview with Citibank wearing a boob-tube and hot-pants? Yes, it probably would. Would it make any difference if she was "following her own taste"? Doubt that it would. Vulgarity, poor taste, and bad manners are all about how others perceive you, not how you perceive yourself. (I know I'm getting all sanctimonious here, but I've got a real bee in my bonnet about bad taste, and poor manners - especially the latter!)

scent, like most other expressions of your personality (and moreso than many), projects into the world and into other peoples' space. it's very independant to not care what others think about you in any way, but it would be naive to believe it doesn't matter. the reality is that if you truly never cared about what others think, you'd be up shi*t creek. balance your desires with those of the people around you in the way you deem appropriate.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Overcome By Fumes

I have been hesitant to jump into the fray here (because I'm a pussy!).

Honestly, unless people know the fragrance, most people won't have any idea if what you are wearing is men's or women's unless you tell them. I was wearing Donna Karan Chaos at a picnic at my daughter's school about a month ago, sat down at a crowded picnic table and the lady next to me, exclaims, "who is wearing that wonderful scent?" People looked around, and it was evident it was me. She sniffed my wrist and exclaimed how good it was and how it suited me. She proclaimed it smelled like French perfume, "quality". Turns out, interestingly enough, that this was not some uninformed amateur but a woman who owned a perfume shop for over a decade here in town selling Creed and L'Artisan and Nicolai fragrances among others. She closed shop several years ago to retire (grandmother of one of my daughter's classmates), and I am interesting in seeing what she may have stashed away in her closets someday leftover from her old stock. The fact is, by far, most of the time, the only one who knows what you are wearing is YOU.

I wear fragrances marketed as women's about 2 or 3 days a week, being in the "If I like it, I will wear it" camp. On the other hand, I do have some sensitivity about certain situations and may avoid wearing things too floral or incense-y or Patchouli-y on office or on-call days. Why? I hadn't thought too much about it, but this thread has made me think. I do have a certain consciousness about drawing attention to myself at times and things that may play a role. Smelling like a woman has never come too much to mind; I got more compliments wearing O de Lancome than anything else this year and I wasn't ashamed to mention what it was to the ladies who complimented it. I think much of this sensitivity is an overread by those of us who pay WAY too much attention to fragrance in our day to day lives than the average man or woman. If even professionals and afficionados aren't sure the "gender" of your fragrance, why would "normal" people care?

Quote Originally Posted by Noseorgy
    I still would have gone around and smelled all the girls.
    You're a man after my own heart!! *
    David and Becca forever!!

Hi Coleman,

Yes, indeed. I did suddenly find myself very busy and I just plumb forgot about the "challenge" although I will have some free time this week to decant some things and send them off to you for a blind sniff test. Let me know if you are still game.

And while we are still (and forever) flogging the topic of comparative subjectivity straining towards a single unifying doctrine (don't hold your breath, that color does not look good on you)...

What exactly does a woman smell like?

Griff

(and when we determine the answer to that one, we can tackle the old "what do women want" chesnut.)
    Griff

I think I'm done with this topic. Thanks for playing.

Just now I went back and reread my first post of the thread, just to see if there was something unreasonable about it and I concluded there wasn't. All I was saying was, if I walked into a room and the smell of Nu was in the air, I would be looking for the woman wearing it. It just wouldn't seem right on a man. That's my street level opinion. Feel free to disagree.

....and the lesson for me ?

1. Wear what you like as long as it lasts, but tactfully please!

2. Man, be warned not to wear NU in clubs unless you are ready for a surprise!

3. Into friendly contacts with another man? Wear Sequoia, and keep an eye on your drinks !

'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    ....and the lesson for me ?

1. Wear what you like as long as it lasts, but tactfully please!

2. *Man, be warned not to wear NU in clubs unless you are ready for a surprise!

3. *Into friendly contacts with another man? *Wear Sequoia, and keep an eye on your drinks !

LOL! All very true.

Whew! *Thanks Odor, I was trying so hard to make my point, and not offend anyone at the same time! *

Griff, I can only tell you what a woman smells like to me. *(And even that not very definitely. *It’s a trial and error thing. *It’s a I-don’t-know-much-about-art-but-I-know-what-I-like kind of a thing.)
    That’s part of the point I was trying to make—that I think part of that is personal. *
    I do believe, I think like Renato (apologies if I’ve got the BaseNoter wrong), that part of what’s masculine and what’s feminine is innate to our genders. *But I also feel that much of it is individual, depending on brain chemistry, childhood experiences, the culture you were raised in, etc. *
    A big blech of influences roiling about in all of our noodles!
    So we all walk around with these personal boundaries and limitations, of what smells right for us and what doesn’t. *What smells masculine enough for us and what doesn’t. *What smells too feminine to us and what doesn’t. Yours are different from mine, and mine are different from whoever and so on. *I’m not right and you’re not wrong. *We both just are. *We be who we be!
    And I believe strongly that it’s. *All. *Good.
    And the lessons I’ve learned?

1.) *Indie Guy and I sound like we’re arguing but we’re actually mostly agreeing with each other. * :P

And

2.) *I’m never going to call anyone a pussy again! *Even made up guys from my imagination. * :-/

PS: *Griff, I’ll send you a PM on the other thing...

Wait guys!

I'm going to throw in a stumper...

What happens when we suddenly come across a woman wearing a shared Creed or CdG scent, would we suddenly think it's too soft or feminine? Or would there be any issue if Nu was somehow marketed for men instead of women, would we still consider it a feminine smelling frag even if it's a men's frag?

I remember going bonkers how CKone smelled so feminine to my nose when I first smelled it, but if it weren't for the fact that it was marketed as shared, I would've steered clear of it--but that was back then...

Now I've smelled so many mens frags that scents like Nu couldn't be possibly any issue anymore...the gray area has increased and has blurred the boundaries! I don't think it matters so much in this day and age. I just consider myself lucky that I prefer not to wear flowerbombs, but Dior Homme has stepped right up to that hairline boundary being overly floral with that iris and lavender combination, but I wear it happily. Same goes with L'Homme de Coeur, Jardin en Mediterranee, Bulgari Blu, SMW, etc.

Just let your nose be the judge, that's what we've been doing all along, right?

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    Wait guys!

I'm going to throw in a stumper...

What happens when we suddenly come across a woman wearing a shared Creed or CdG scent
    I'd propose to her on the spot.

What happens when we suddenly come across a woman wearing a shared Creed or CdG scent ?

As we all know by now - that depends on the color of her hair. Go back to post # 1 ! :
    Last edited by narcus; 26th December 2006 at 04:27 PM.

I think a blonde woman can pull it off, but a blonde man??? NEVER!!! ;D

Jus' kidding...to each his own and all that! And I'll wear whatever I damn please! LOL

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

1.) *Indie Guy and I sound like we’re arguing but we’re actually mostly agreeing with each other. * :P

And

2.) *I’m never going to call anyone a pussy again! *Even made up guys from my imagination. * :-/

Yeah, pretty much. But still don't worry about calling imaginary guys "pussies". It's direct, but then again, I called my imaginary dude a "self centered assh@le", so its all good.lol.

And to Narcus, well I did make some comments about hair color and fragrances. You know I'm not being completely serious with that. However part of pulling off any scent is "does it match you visually" and thats a good starting point. There are a bunch of factors, and haircolor and all that other stuff...it can enter into it.

And yes, I too would propose to a woman wearing any Comme des Garcons fragrance on the spot. After I bought CdG 2EDP I thought how I'd like the woman I marry to smell like this.

Verve: Wankfest? LOL!!! :0

Yesterday i wore Agent Provocateur to work and today i wore Dior Homme. Does Dior Homme count as a feminine frag???? LOL :-?
    Awesomeguy