Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: A thought for guys who wear womens scents

scent, like most other expressions of your personality (and moreso than many), projects into the world and into other peoples' space. it's very independant to not care what others think about you in any way, but it would be naive to believe it doesn't matter. the reality is that if you truly never cared about what others think, you'd be up shi*t creek. balance your desires with those of the people around you in the way you deem appropriate.

Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado

Dependent

I have been hesitant to jump into the fray here (because I'm a pussy!).

Honestly, unless people know the fragrance, most people won't have any idea if what you are wearing is men's or women's unless you tell them. I was wearing Donna Karan Chaos at a picnic at my daughter's school about a month ago, sat down at a crowded picnic table and the lady next to me, exclaims, "who is wearing that wonderful scent?" People looked around, and it was evident it was me. She sniffed my wrist and exclaimed how good it was and how it suited me. She proclaimed it smelled like French perfume, "quality". Turns out, interestingly enough, that this was not some uninformed amateur but a woman who owned a perfume shop for over a decade here in town selling Creed and L'Artisan and Nicolai fragrances among others. She closed shop several years ago to retire (grandmother of one of my daughter's classmates), and I am interesting in seeing what she may have stashed away in her closets someday leftover from her old stock. The fact is, by far, most of the time, the only one who knows what you are wearing is YOU.

I wear fragrances marketed as women's about 2 or 3 days a week, being in the "If I like it, I will wear it" camp. On the other hand, I do have some sensitivity about certain situations and may avoid wearing things too floral or incense-y or Patchouli-y on office or on-call days. Why? I hadn't thought too much about it, but this thread has made me think. I do have a certain consciousness about drawing attention to myself at times and things that may play a role. Smelling like a woman has never come too much to mind; I got more compliments wearing O de Lancome than anything else this year and I wasn't ashamed to mention what it was to the ladies who complimented it. I think much of this sensitivity is an overread by those of us who pay WAY too much attention to fragrance in our day to day lives than the average man or woman. If even professionals and afficionados aren't sure the "gender" of your fragrance, why would "normal" people care?
    Overcome by Fumes

Quote Originally Posted by Noseorgy
    I still would have gone around and smelled all the girls.
    You're a man after my own heart!! *
    Dave here.

Hi Coleman,

Yes, indeed. I did suddenly find myself very busy and I just plumb forgot about the "challenge" although I will have some free time this week to decant some things and send them off to you for a blind sniff test. Let me know if you are still game.

And while we are still (and forever) flogging the topic of comparative subjectivity straining towards a single unifying doctrine (don't hold your breath, that color does not look good on you)...

What exactly does a woman smell like?

Griff

(and when we determine the answer to that one, we can tackle the old "what do women want" chesnut.)
    Griff

I think I'm done with this topic. Thanks for playing.

Just now I went back and reread my first post of the thread, just to see if there was something unreasonable about it and I concluded there wasn't. All I was saying was, if I walked into a room and the smell of Nu was in the air, I would be looking for the woman wearing it. It just wouldn't seem right on a man. That's my street level opinion. Feel free to disagree.

....and the lesson for me ?

1. Wear what you like as long as it lasts, but tactfully please!

2. Man, be warned not to wear NU in clubs unless you are ready for a surprise!

3. Into friendly contacts with another man? Wear Sequoia, and keep an eye on your drinks !

'Il mondo dei profumi Ť un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    ....and the lesson for me ?

1. Wear what you like as long as it lasts, but tactfully please!

2. *Man, be warned not to wear NU in clubs unless you are ready for a surprise!

3. *Into friendly contacts with another man? *Wear Sequoia, and keep an eye on your drinks !

LOL! All very true.

Whew! *Thanks Odor, I was trying so hard to make my point, and not offend anyone at the same time! *

Griff, I can only tell you what a woman smells like to me. *(And even that not very definitely. *Itís a trial and error thing. *Itís a I-donít-know-much-about-art-but-I-know-what-I-like kind of a thing.)
    Thatís part of the point I was trying to makeóthat I think part of that is personal. *
    I do believe, I think like Renato (apologies if Iíve got the BaseNoter wrong), that part of whatís masculine and whatís feminine is innate to our genders. *But I also feel that much of it is individual, depending on brain chemistry, childhood experiences, the culture you were raised in, etc. *
    A big blech of influences roiling about in all of our noodles!
    So we all walk around with these personal boundaries and limitations, of what smells right for us and what doesnít. *What smells masculine enough for us and what doesnít. *What smells too feminine to us and what doesnít. Yours are different from mine, and mine are different from whoever and so on. *Iím not right and youíre not wrong. *We both just are. *We be who we be!
    And I believe strongly that itís. *All. *Good.
    And the lessons Iíve learned?

1.) *Indie Guy and I sound like weíre arguing but weíre actually mostly agreeing with each other. * :P

And

2.) *Iím never going to call anyone a pussy again! *Even made up guys from my imagination. * :-/

PS: *Griff, Iíll send you a PM on the other thing...

Wait guys!

I'm going to throw in a stumper...

What happens when we suddenly come across a woman wearing a shared Creed or CdG scent, would we suddenly think it's too soft or feminine? Or would there be any issue if Nu was somehow marketed for men instead of women, would we still consider it a feminine smelling frag even if it's a men's frag?

I remember going bonkers how CKone smelled so feminine to my nose when I first smelled it, but if it weren't for the fact that it was marketed as shared, I would've steered clear of it--but that was back then...

Now I've smelled so many mens frags that scents like Nu couldn't be possibly any issue anymore...the gray area has increased and has blurred the boundaries! I don't think it matters so much in this day and age. I just consider myself lucky that I prefer not to wear flowerbombs, but Dior Homme has stepped right up to that hairline boundary being overly floral with that iris and lavender combination, but I wear it happily. Same goes with L'Homme de Coeur, Jardin en Mediterranee, Bulgari Blu, SMW, etc.

Just let your nose be the judge, that's what we've been doing all along, right?

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    Wait guys!

I'm going to throw in a stumper...

What happens when we suddenly come across a woman wearing a shared Creed or CdG scent
    I'd propose to her on the spot.

What happens when we suddenly come across a woman wearing a shared Creed or CdG scent ?

As we all know by now - that depends on the color of her hair. Go back to post # 1 ! :
    Last edited by narcus; 26th December 2006 at 04:27 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi Ť un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I think a blonde woman can pull it off, but a blonde man??? NEVER!!! ;D

Jus' kidding...to each his own and all that! And I'll wear whatever I damn please! LOL

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman
    1.) *Indie Guy and I sound like weíre arguing but weíre actually mostly agreeing with each other. * :P

And

2.) *Iím never going to call anyone a pussy again! *Even made up guys from my imagination. * :-/

Yeah, pretty much. But still don't worry about calling imaginary guys "pussies". It's direct, but then again, I called my imaginary dude a "self centered assh@le", so its all good.lol.

And to Narcus, well I did make some comments about hair color and fragrances. You know I'm not being completely serious with that. However part of pulling off any scent is "does it match you visually" and thats a good starting point. There are a bunch of factors, and haircolor and all that other stuff...it can enter into it.

And yes, I too would propose to a woman wearing any Comme des Garcons fragrance on the spot. After I bought CdG 2EDP I thought how I'd like the woman I marry to smell like this.

Verve: Wankfest? LOL!!! :0

Yesterday i wore Agent Provocateur to work and today i wore Dior Homme. Does Dior Homme count as a feminine frag???? LOL :-?
    Awesomeguy