Code of Conduct

Default Rive Gauche type scents

I've come to appreciate Rive Gauche pour homme a lot lately. Are there any scents in this direction worth looking into?

The most "old-school" scents I have are Michael Kors, M7 and Zino. There's been some talk on the board about Azzaro Onyx/SiverBlack, which hasn't been issued here, yet. Is it worth looking into, as it has been likened to RG?

What about the "real" classics? Anything you could recommend?

Default Re: Rive Gauche type scents

BlueOcean,

Rive Gauche PH is an aromatic fougere, to my nose.

You might want to try:
    Azzaro PH,
    Xeryus (original, not Rouge),
    Gucci Nobile,
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme,
    Drakkar Noir,
    classic Bogart and One Man Show,
    Egoiste Platinum.

... just from the top of my head.

Regards, Odor.
    "One man's "cat piss" is another one's "masterpiece" (popular fragrance wisdom)

Dunhill 1929

Quote Originally Posted by BlueOcean
    I've come to appreciate Rive Gauche pour homme a lot lately. Are there any scents in this direction worth looking into?

The most "old-school" scents I have are Michael Kors, M7 and Zino. There's been some talk on the board about Azzaro Onyx/SiverBlack, which hasn't been issued here, yet. Is it worth looking into, as it has been likened to RG?

What about the "real" classics? Anything you could recommend?

To be honest, I doubt that you'll find many classics that are similar in style or feel to Rive Gauche Pour Homme. This fragrance has attracted a lot of discussion on Bnotes over the last couple of years. One term that has often been used to describe it is "dirty" (and I don't necessarily mean "dirty" in a pejorative sense - even fans of RG have used this term). I have quite a few classics, but nothing that resembles Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

Dunhill's original cologne (the 1934 one - mentioned above) is certainly not in the same vein as RG Pour Homme.

Here's a few more to add if you enjoy Rive Gauche:

~ Caron 3rd Man
    ~ Romeo Gigli
    ~ Guerlain Heritage

Brut Classic (or just get the drugstore one, quite frankly)
    Azzaro PH
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Yep, RG is a unique concoction. I just looked up the pyramid and was surprised to find that it doen't contain any moss, which to my nose seems to be the main ingredients.

Thanks guys for the abundance of fragrances you mention. I'm, of course, looking for something with character, something indeed a bit "dirty". Many of the classics are great, yet I guess I have to warm up to them first.

To my liking they have to exude a tad bit of contemporary style as well. This is what RG and Michael Kors do for me. I especially get this feeling when comparing RG side by side with scents like Antaeus or Kouros.

Has anyone tried Azzaro Onyx/SilverBlack yet? Is it to be prefered over The ordinary Azzaro p.h.?

DO YOU WANT A REAL CLASSIC? TRY TRUSSARDI UOMO! 8-)

BlueOcean,

There aren't too many frags out there that you can really call unique. But Rive Gauche is one of them.
    I have yet to come into contact with any scent which remotely resembles it. It's something all onto iteslf, and that is why I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla
    BlueOcean,

There aren't too many frags out there that you can really call unique. But Rive Gauche is one of them.
    I have yet to come into contact with any scent which remotely resembles it. It's something all onto iteslf, and that is why I like it.

You should try Azzaro Pour Homme. To my nose Azzaro is just a more intense version of Rive Gauche.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi
    ...You should try Azzaro Pour Homme. To my nose Azzaro is just a more intense version of Rive Gauche.

It never ceases to amaze me how good some of our Basenoters are at comparisons.
    I have sprayed both the Azzaro, and RG on my arms, and now find that*they both have quite a lot in common!
    RG appears to be a much warmer, and 'fernier' version of Azzaro (which tends to stay sharp pretty much throughout its entire drydown).

Good call: The-Odor, Vicomte de K, and nsamadi (whose post made me do the actual comparison).

There goes another 'unique' fragrance off my list.

[quote author=nsamadi link=1130748204/0#9 date=1130823341]...You should try Azzaro Pour Homme. To my nose Azzaro is just a more intense version of Rive Gauche.

It never ceases to amaze me how good some of our Basenoters are at comparisons.
    I have sprayed both the Azzaro, and RG on my arms, and now find that*they both have quite a lot in common!
    RG appears to be a much warmer, and 'fernier' version of Azzaro (which tends to stay sharp pretty much throughout its entire drydown).

Good call: The-Odor, Vicomte de K, and nsamadi (whose post made me do the actual comparison).

There goes another 'unique' fragrance off my list.
    [/quote]

Yeah Rive and Azzaro both have a lot in common, but I find Azzaro to be a lot stronger with mega sillage. I think of it as "Super Rive Gauche", if you compare their basenote pyramids, they share a lot in common. Take a look:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120152.html
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122758.html

they both share notes of Anise, Lavender, Geranium, Vetiver and Patchouli, but I find Azzaro is have a bit of a citrus tint that wears off fast. And again if you like those scents, check out Givenchy Xeryus, this ones very similar to Rive as well, you'll probably like it as well.

nsamadi,

I hope I'm not veering too much off the subject here, but have you tried the RG Intense?
    If so, what are you thoughts on it (vs. the Azzaro)?
    Do you like it better the original RG?

Uuhhmm....try Johnson's Baby Powder.

Sorry, didn't mean to be sarcastic, but this is one fragrance that I did more of a 180 on than any other I have ever owned or smelled.

I thought at first it was a great scent and now it turns my stomach. Don't know why. I did buy a decant of the concentrated version and when I applied it, that's when i realized I hated it. Maybe the intense version just bought out it spades what I didn't like but didn't know it (!) using the regular version.

Yeah, I actually like the original RG better than RG Intense.
    The Intense is just too cloying on me.

Azzaro pour homme seems to be quite cheap here in Europe, so I'll give it a try anyways. Did you know that it contains 350 different ingredients? Wow!

I can only confirm all what others said about Azzaro PH. Very good one!

p.s. hmmm, how about Santos?

nsamadi,

I hope I'm not veering too much off the subject here, but have you tried the RG Intense?
    If so, what are you thoughts on it (vs. the Azzaro)?
    Do you like it better the original RG?
    I haven't actually tried RG Intense yet, but from what I've heard, it's not nearly as nice as the original.