Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gucci Pour Homme

I went to the mall today and as i was there i wandered over to the Macys mens frag counter. Gucci pour homme i thought was awesome. The bottle was cool too and i liked how the brown liquid looked in it. Theres just one thing though. Gucci Pour Homme is a 100%, EXACT copy of Donna karens Black Cashmere. I challenge anyone here to be able to tell the two apart. If i didnt already have black cashmere i would have bought a bottle of the gucci pour homme on the spot. However, i dont need two of the same scent. I wonder if donna karen executives sold the right of b.c. to gucci to package it as a scent to market to men????? Same goes with Aeromatics Elixir and Aramis 900.
    Awesomeguy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gucci Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3
    I went to the mall today and as i was there i wandered over to the Macys mens frag counter. Gucci pour homme i thought was awesome. The bottle was cool too and i liked how the brown liquid looked in it. Theres just one thing though. Gucci Pour Homme is a 100%, EXACT copy of Donna karens Black Cashmere. I challenge anyone here to be able to tell the two apart. If i didnt already have black cashmere i would have bought a bottle of the gucci pour homme on the spot. However, i dont need two of the same scent. I wonder if donna karen executives sold the right of b.c. to gucci to package it as a scent to market to men????? Same goes with Aeromatics Elixir and Aramis 900.
    I also like the bottle, but I don't find Gucci pour Homme similar to Black Cashmere at all. If you mean Comme de Garcons 2 Man, well they are indeed similar, but Black Cashmere's appearance is too shy in comparison to Gucci's. Also the notes and overall smell is quite different IMO.
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

Well, the two have something common indeed, but of course there are some differences...
    Gucci PH is much, much more smoky, more woody with obvious papyrus wood note. Also the white pepper comes clearly on Gucci. It also has much more leather in it - the note that Black Cashmere lacks off completely.
    Black Cashmere isn`t so smoky, but has more cedar in it, and also floral notes, which doesn`t exist in Gucci. In BC I smell jasmin so clearly, that I really can`t see straight connection to GPH at all anyway...And yet the BC has that very soapy kind of charachter in it`s end, while GPH is just dry, dry and dry.
    IMO Black Cashnere is much more closer to Oscar than Gucci PH.

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer
    Well, the two have something common indeed, but of course there are some differences...
    Gucci PH is much, much more smoky, more woody with obvious papyrus wood note. Also the white pepper comes clearly on Gucci. It also has much more leather in it - the note that Black Cashmere lacks off completely.
    Black Cashmere isn`t so smoky, but has more cedar in it, and also floral notes, which doesn`t exist in Gucci. In BC I smell jasmin so clearly, that I really can`t see straight connection to GPH at all anyway...And yet the BC has that very soapy kind of charachter in it`s end, while GPH is just dry, dry and dry.
    IMO Black Cashnere is much more closer to Oscar than Gucci PH.

Okey, actually it`s not even so close to Oscar...But at least it`s still more common with it comparing to Gucci PH.

I like gucci ph as well and find it dissimilar to BC. However, I am very eager to try CDG 2 Man!

The quickest way to feel like an idiot at Basenotes is to say X smells like Y.

"I don't get the similarity at all."

"They are two completely different scents."

"X smells NOTHING like Y."

And so on. It used to bother me...after all, if X smells like Y TO YOU, then they smell alike!...but now I sally forth without worrying about being called wrong.

The best comparison to Gucci PH is Montale Greyland, although I prefer Gucci because of the more prominent frankincense and pepper notes.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

MJH

I'll compromise with you:
    I do agree that Aromatics Elixir and Aramis 900 are identical:
    the Aramis is just the EdT version, and Aromatics Elixir is the parfum (watch out for that stuff! )
    On the other hand, while I think Gucci PH and Black Cashmere both feel dark and non-sweet,
    Gucci seems drier and woodier, while Black Cashmere smells sort of resinous and sticky to me.
    If it's any consolation, I'm always seeing Black Cashmere listed among "incense scents"......
    and I don't get a single whiff of incense from it.

Gucci PH is more herbal...I smell thyme or bay? Black Cashmere whollops me alot of clove. I like them both, but the Gucci didn't seem to last when I tested it. I would LOVE to smell either on a man. Good choices.

Quote Originally Posted by sharilstuff
    Gucci PH is more herbal...I smell thyme or bay? .
    "Pink Bay" is one of Gucci PH's ingredients.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

I must check out this Black Cashmere - though I must admit to some scepticism - women usually don't like smelling like a saw mill (which is what Gucci Pour Homme smells like to me).
    Renato

IMO Black C. smells more like Gucci Rush!

Gucci PH and CDG2MAN are indeed similar BUT CGD is much more complex, aromatic and concentrated .

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I must check out this Black Cashmere - though I must admit to some scepticism - women usually don't like smelling like a saw mill (which is what Gucci Pour Homme smells like to me).
    Renato
    Black Cashmere is much sweeter, a bit like caramelized sugar and dark wood in the beginning, but settles into a sweet, incensy, sandalwood frag. Gucci PH is nowhere comparable, because it's much more of a dry scent.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Gucci pour Homme smells like the inside of a pencil sharpener to me.
    I'm just saying.

Is Gucci Homme made any more :-?

None of the department stores were I live stock it any more. :-/ Most tell me its discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus

None of the department stores were I live stock it any more. :-/ *Most tell me its discontinued.
    It has been popping up in TJ Maxx/Marshalls in the States... I don't know if Gucci killed it. Then again Nobile was supposed to have been killed too and I can still get it at TJ Maxx for the past couple of years, but I've never seen that at dept stores either.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

I still see it at Sephora here in my area...we don't have to push the panic button yet. ;D

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I see Gucci PH locally at Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, Sephora and Perfumania so I don't think it is going anywhere.

I personally like it a lot. I don't think it is that close to Black Cashmere, although they do share some similarities. I also don't think Gucci PH smells like a sawmill or pencil shavings--I get a lot of pepper and leather in addition to the cedar, so I don't perceive it as straight wood.

The closest fragrances to Gucci PH, to my nose, are Tommy Bahama, RL Polo, and Puig Quorum, although Gucci PH is my clear favorite from among that group.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Post Thanks / Like

For me, the best part of Gucci PH is the drydown. Off the top it's too one-dimensional on my skin. All I get is woody leather and it doesn't open up until 3-4 hours later, which sucks because I have to wait that long. The base smells like powdery, sweet leather with a hint of vanilla. If only it could smell like that throughout the entire duration. I'm going to have to look into Dzing! based on the descriptions I've read. It could be what I'm looking for.

If you guys aren't fond of dry, leathery scents then maybe you should try out Cuiron if you haven't already. I never liked leather scents until I got that one. It's sweeter and isn't as dry or leathery.

Quote Originally Posted by petrol
    IMO Black C. smells more like Gucci Rush!

Gucci PH and CDG2MAN are indeed similar BUT CGD is much more complex, aromatic and concentrated .

I would agree with this!

The closest fragrances to Gucci PH, to my nose, are Tommy Bahama, RL Polo, and Puig Quorum, although Gucci PH is my clear favorite from among that group.
    Wow: do you really think Polo and Quorum are close to Gucci? *:-? I don't think they smell ANYTHING like each other. It's funny how scents smell different to each of us; when I first smelled Polo, I thought it smelled like watermelon, but I haven't heard anyone else who thought so.
    Updated Favorites:

Spicebomb * Viktor & Rolf

CK One Shock * Calvin Klein

Fields Of Rubus * Kerosene

Midnight Pomegranate * Bath & Body Works

Quote Originally Posted by Allen-at-home
    Wow: do you really think Polo and Quorum are close to Gucci? *:-? I don't think they smell ANYTHING like each other. It's funny how scents smell different to each of us; when I first smelled Polo, I thought it smelled like watermelon, but I haven't heard anyone else who thought so.
    Yes, they all have a dry leather, amber, incense/olibanum quality, with other overlapping notes as well. I don't get anything melony out of Polo and it's not among the listed notes.

But you're right--everyone perceives things differently. I suggested on another thread that YSL Jazz, VC&A Tsar, and Drakkar Noir were similar and was met with several contrary opinions.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Post Thanks / Like

Wow: do you really think Polo and Quorum are close to Gucci? :-? I don't think they smell ANYTHING like each other. It's funny how scents smell different to each of us; when I first smelled Polo, I thought it smelled like watermelon, but I haven't heard anyone else who thought so.
    I believe the one you've tried is Polo Blue.

That would make more sense, but, no, I was referring to the original green when I said it smelled like watermelon to me.
    Updated Favorites:

Spicebomb * Viktor & Rolf

CK One Shock * Calvin Klein

Fields Of Rubus * Kerosene

Midnight Pomegranate * Bath & Body Works

Post Thanks / Like

That would make more sense, but, no, I was referring to the original green when I said it smelled like watermelon to me.
    :-/

I love the burnt wood from a camp fire that gucci ph conveys. The only problem is that my wife does not like it ;D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ikkitosennomusha
    I love the burnt wood from a camp fire that gucci ph conveys. The only problem is that my wife does not like it ;D
    Wow, I haven't met a female yet who HASN'T loved this scent

Hi, based upon the comments here, today I decided to sample Gucci PH and CDG2 man. I must say that on me they both started out with a spicy peppery note.

CDG2 man – Also noticed the cumin? Which evolved to an incense note. This was lighter on me than Gucci PH and lasted about 4-6 hours. I must say that I was starting to play favorites as I became enamoured with Gucci PH.

Gucci PH – Was quite intense on me lasting 8 hours. I couldn’t but help to smell each wrist now and again. I loved the way that this scent evolved on me. Moving from spicy pepper to “Pencil shavings” which for me evokes a pleasant nostalgia from my student days (of course I’m not talking about homework or studying) with drafting (before Auto-Cad), woodshop, and art class. Sad to say I did not pick up what some call saw dust ( I loved woodshop and the smell of the different woods and finishes) to hints of leather to incense with a slight sweetness intertwined.

I approached this comparison of trying to be precise in my observations but somewhere along the way this transitioned from being a research effort into a pleasant journey of discovery. Kind of like when one visits a foreign country, I initially had an itinerary but quickly departed from the itinerary and let chance be my guide, instead of seeking a destination I let both scents take me where they will. I must say that the journey was very satisfying. I look forward to many pleasant journeys and also to obtaining Gucci PH as I prefer it to the CDG2 man

I may be off my hinges, but Gucci Pour Homme smells like a combination of Piper Nigrum AND Santal Noble.

I mean almost exact if you take the best attributes of PN AND SN and (water) them down a bit this is what you have.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Gucci Pour Homme

Maybe Gucci pour Homme, is the new Black Cashmere!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smellitnow View Post
    I may be off my hinges, but Gucci Pour Homme smells like a combination of Piper Nigrum AND Santal Noble.
    Thats actually a pretty reasonable similarity observation..
    -

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3 View Post
    Huh? Black Cashmere smells like horrid black liqorice. I don't smell any black liqorice in Gucci Pour Homme. Not trying to sound rude, but I think something's wrong with your nose.

Post Thanks / Like

I wear Gucci pour Homme often....I don't find similarities with Black Cashmere by Donna Karan...I find the last one quite similar to Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan (which is more ethereal than the B.C., less sweet, feminine and caramellized)

Respect to Greyland, which I like so much, I find Gucci pour Homme more linear, with a quite strong silloge but less than Greyland which resists for days and days on my pullovers....Anyaway Gucci pour Homme, Passage d'enfer and Greyland are among my favourites parfumes....
    Last edited by Emifra; 5th March 2009 at 11:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Since this thread has already been bumped , I may as well ask : Does anyone else feel that the price of Gucci pH is noticeably higher than other mainstream fragrances ? Is it because it is no longer in production ? Has this always been the case ?
    Last edited by Surfacing; 8th March 2009 at 06:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman View Post
    Gucci pour Homme smells like the inside of a pencil sharpener to me.
    I'm just saying.
    Agreed! Pour Homme II is better..

Post Thanks / Like

Did choose Rochas Lui over Gucci Ph last year but i am interested again in Gucci ph because it´s different enough and there aren´t much "designer"frags in this strong woody category and quality. It could be cheaper since 2003 like lui. Gucci ph II is another category which i want to try now at my skin.
    Last edited by sanatik; 9th March 2009 at 08:06 AM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    Did choose Rochas Lui over Gucci Ph last year but i am interested again in Gucci ph because it´s different enough and there aren´t much "designer"frags in this strong woody category and quality. It could be cheaper since 2003 like lui. Gucci ph II is another category which i want to try now at my skin.
    I think it is crazy how Lui and GpH are considered very similar. Much too different. Lui is also much more formal

If you do find it cheaper, I will be really upset with you. After all, I spent close to full retail price on GpH.

Based on John Lewis price, as well as passing through belfast airport, the rpice does indeed seem to have gone up! I really hope they don't discontinue GPH, as I just love the stuff

Post Thanks / Like

My most recent blind buy " Sartoriale " is like GPH enveloped in a cocoon of mild sweetness & with its woods just as strong but not as dry .
    Its definately worth trying if you like the woody ones .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I can't find Gucci Pour Homme at any department stores where I live all I can find is GPH II.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    My most recent blind buy " Sartoriale " is like GPH enveloped in a cocoon of mild sweetness & with its woods just as strong but not as dry .
    Its definately worth trying if you like the woody ones .
    Pal Zileri Sartoriale?

I find that one just like Cacharel Nemo, not like Gucci PH.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaninDubh View Post
    Based on John Lewis price, as well as passing through belfast airport, the rpice does indeed seem to have gone up! I really hope they don't discontinue GPH, as I just love the stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I can't find Gucci Pour Homme at any department stores where I live all I can find is GPH II.
    If I am not mistaken, Gucci pour Homme is discontinued, is it not ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    If I am not mistaken, Gucci pour Homme is discontinued, is it not ?
    Gucci Pour Homme is not
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121989.html
    it has the black rectangular cap

Gucci Pour Homme (original) is
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120730.html
    it has the cylindrical cap
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Pal Zileri Sartoriale?

I find that one just like Cacharel Nemo, not like Gucci PH.
    Wow !
    I have a bottle of Nemo & only a decant of Gucci & upon trying Pal Zileri's Sartoriale I immediately reached for Gucci PH to do a side by side .
    To my nose Sartoriale smells nothing like Nemo .
    Im curious do you have both handy ?

SALES

Just a random observation:

If anyone is looking for something similar but lighter than Gucci PH, which also happens to have a wonderful citrus top, you should check out Burberry's The Beat.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Just a random observation:

If anyone is looking for something similar but lighter than Gucci PH, which also happens to have a wonderful citrus top, you should check out Burberry's The Beat.
    New Guess by Maciano may be a good alternative as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supracuhz View Post
    Gucci Pour Homme is not
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121989.html
    it has the black rectangular cap

Gucci Pour Homme (original) is
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120730.html
    it has the cylindrical cap
    Hmmm.....I actually was under the impression they were both discontinued. If not, then well and good. I love Gucci pour Homme ( black cap )

I don't understand the Pal Zileri comparison at all, I have that and don't get the similarity.

Tommy Bahama, yes, but Tommy Bahama is no where near as dry as the Gucci which is almost arid by comparison. When I where Gucci Pour Homme, I always want to layer it with something else to lighten it somewhat - Hammam Bouquet does a good job believe it or not.

But when you add Hammam to Gucci PH you get... something akin to Elixir by Penhaligon's, so I just wear that instead...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Wow !
    I have a bottle of Nemo & only a decant of Gucci & upon trying Pal Zileri's Sartoriale I immediately reached for Gucci PH to do a side by side .
    To my nose Sartoriale smells nothing like Nemo .
    Im curious do you have both handy ?
    No, unfortunately I used to own all three in a different time frame. First Pal Zileri Sartoriale, then Nemo, then Gucci PH, but never simulateously. My memory tells me the Pal Zileri is much of a boozy sandalwood scent like Nemo, while Gucci PH is pencil shavings with amber.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 24th March 2009 at 10:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post

None of the department stores were I live stock it any more. :-/ Most tell me its discontinued.
    It is still available at Sephora
    Evenstar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    No, unfortunately I used to own all three in a different time frame. First Pal Zileri Sartoriale, then Nemo, then Gucci PH, but never simulateously. My memory tells me the Pal Zileri is much of a boozy sandalwood scent like Nemo, while Gucci PH is pencil shavings with amber.
    thats ok
    I have Sartoriale & Nemo with a few atomisers of Gucci .
    I can send you some samples , so you can experience those pencil shavings in Sartoriale dipped in some type of sweetness .
    pm me if need be .

SALES

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I don't understand the Pal Zileri comparison at all, I have that and don't get the similarity.

Tommy Bahama, yes, but Tommy Bahama is no where near as dry as the Gucci w...
    Well the one & only review is here
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26126169/reviews.html
    & I agree with it 100% .
    Infact prior to purchasing I checked all other threads & most came back with the same conclusion .
    I also upon first wearing , was suprised at how similiar it is to Gucci & actually smoother & sweeter .
    I agree with you that Tommy Bahama is similiar , but only a shadow or poorer version of GPH . So I totally disagree with you on your opening comments .

SALES

thats ok
    I have Sartoriale & Nemo with a few atomisers of Gucci .
    I can send you some samples , so you can experience those pencil shavings in Sartoriale dipped in some type of sweetness .
    pm me if need be .
    Very kind and generous of you. I remember however, I didn't feel very well every time after applying Pal Zileri Sartoriale. The boozy stuff was making me a bit nauseous. Actually, I often get a bit nauseous with sandalwood stuff.

No problems with Gucci PH though. Pencil shavings all the way. Very classy.

Post Thanks / Like

Long live those pencils shavings !!!!
    & all other heavy woody freaks .... Tumulte , Visit etc etc .

SALES