Code of Conduct

Default Tuberose Question about Serge Lutens Cedre

I recently learned there's tuberose in this. Never occurred to me to look there because of the somehow deceptive name. But I have to buy blind. Will I like it?
    My favorite tuberose is Vierges & Toreros (mostly masculine leather & tuberose), followed by Tubereuse de Nuit (quite different, I know). I appreciate Tubereuse Criminelle - both its opening and the heart. I kinda like Estee Lauder's Tuberose Gardenia for the creaminess without suffocation and I would prefer it over Fracas anytime. I don't care for HdP's Tuberose 1 & 2 and I find Tuberose 3 heavy and too dense (same with Chergui, if this makes any sense). My favorite Lutens is Serge Noire because of the ash smoke feel. So, what to expect?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Mar Azul; 1st December 2012 at 01:22 AM.

Default Re: Tuberose Question about Serge Lutens Cedre

I'm a closet tuberose fan; I wear Fracas & Fragile in my own quarters. Cèdre "a big, wild-eyed tuberose scent (w/ an intent) to confuse the hell out of everyone."(This is the best review I've read by far by a disinterested perfumista. Being fans of strategic dissonance theorem, my thoughts r way ahead of my actions as I unabashedly posted it here 4u

I am generally very black-or-white: either I love something absolutely or I despise it mercilessly. Sometimes, though, something uncategorizable slithers into my Manichaean worldview, and I will concede that whatever it is, it is very good; I just don't like it. Cèdre is such a thing. The opening is an explosive tuberose, kind of dirty, with a weird toothpasty quality--toothpaste without the mint in it. There is a faint burning spice in there, although really nothing could survive the onslaught of tuberose sweetness. The sweetness is key, because this doesn't have that harsh, screechy edge that tuberose so often has for me, and that's the only reason I could sample this and not desperately want to scrub it off. Even so, it's kind of cloying; it keeps coming at you, demanding to be noticed.

Eventually the floralcy, though not the sugar, begins to die down a little, and the cedar finally sidles into view, with the faint ribbon of wood smoke that cedar so often carries. This is very nice, and it lasts a very long time.

Cèdre for me works less as a scent than as an intellectual experiment, an essay in cognitive dissonance: what you read doesn't match what you smell, and what you smell is two extremely disjunct things forced into harmony. I could never wear it, that's for sure. As I said, I don't like Cèdre, but I rather admire it, and I bet that there are people out there who adore it.
    On Sillage:

If someone can smell me at more than an arm's length away, I'm probably wearing too much of whatever I applied; if she can distinctly make out the top notes, then perhaps I left the house a bit too soon..

On icebreaker:

I tend to compliment people on their frags to make short talks rather than anything more meaningful.

¿Si o No?

I think you will like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I think you will like it.
    I am not so sure. I am a huge fan of all three tuberoses of HdP and will wear Cedre in a heartbeat (contemplating a purchase). However, I am not a big tuberose fan. I think if you like TC and SL in general you might like this, but in my opinion Cedre is a bit on a girly side.

Tuberose 3 has the same vibe with Cedre. I do think both fragrance are very masculine however they all smell some how dense and dated to me

Don't don't don't buy Cedre blind. I adore tuberose. I adore many Lutens fragrances. I hate Cedre with a fiery passion.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Tuberose 3 has the same vibe with Cedre. I do think both fragrance are very masculine however they all smell some how dense and dated to me
    This justifies my suspicions, reading the reviews. That's why I mentioned Chergui also. I just don't feel comfortable with this kind of dense 'masculine' sweetness referring to honey, cigar tobacco, etc. I even prefer the vanillic sweetness of Pi because even vanilla often has its raw, crusty edge in the end.
    I guess it's one's sense for 'sharpness' and 'blurriness', or clarity and density (density being often the case with HdP ). Then I guess I'm always subconsciously preventing myself from feeling too cozy and comfortable... And I suppose you could call it dated not because it literally follows an old trend but because the liquid itself seems 'aged', like something you find after many years...?

Quote Originally Posted by googl.plex1 View Post
    Cèdre for me works less as a scent than as an intellectual experiment, an essay in cognitive dissonance: what you read doesn't match what you smell, and what you smell is two extremely disjunct things forced into harmony. I could never wear it, that's for sure. As I said, I don't like Cèdre, but I rather admire it, and I bet that there are people out there who adore it.
    I like this mind game in general. In fact, Etat Libre d'Orange try to force this dissonance, or 'unexpected harmony' all the time, the catch being that they often succeed, and one could even not notice it without reading the notes. I mean, if it works on a sensual level, that's the real cognitive dissonance, right? 'These notes shouldn't smell nice together but they do.' Or maybe it's just called ambiguity.
    Mind games aside, it lost me with the lack of 'harsh, screechy edge' and no cedar smokiness ... I guess this is what works for me with tuberose, its chemical, medicinal, alien edge.
    Thanks for the hints