Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Gold Men

hi,

the dexcriptions for Amouage Gold Men really caught my interest. It is sooo expensive though and i donīt have any easy chance to try it...
    so, my question: how many of you have that gem in their collection? is it really worth the hefty price-tag? i would just like to hear some thoughts :-)

thanx in advance,

m

Default Re: Amouage Gold Men

I recently got samples from ebay and all I can say is :-/
    Definitely not woth the pricetag. Smells like high grade baby powder, the gold version at least. Is definitely an old old school scent, all of them actually. Get samples for yourself and you'll see.

If you contact Amouage through their official website(try finding their email on the website) and ask for samples, they'll send them out for free, or you can purchase a sample gifeset, which contains all the men and womens scents. Their large sample sprays and come in a nice box. Also check out ebay, you might find someone selling a decant at a good price.

One must, I think, take into account the wide varience in the scent preferences of basenoters when asking for opinions; that being said, I found Gold to be tawdry, Silver to be ordinary, and Dia to be just wonderful. Given the price, order samples first!
    Cordially,

Serge

Not for ordinary people.

The price barrier again.

When the toy is on the highest shelf, a child's tears become stone.

Well, I recently got some free samples of Dia and Silver Cologne free from Amouage. I was not overly impressed with either. Silver, I really didn't like, and Dia was just too average incense smelling to me. My advice would be to try before you buy on any cologne, but for sure do so with Amouage.

I am a proud owner of Gold Cologne and absolutely love it! I was fortunate enough to get two bottle of the cologne and Silver Crystal in an amazing Ebay sale...

MORE IMPORTANTLY...I seem to be the lone dissenter in this group so far...My affair with Amouage began about 5 years ago when I first sampled it and figured it would make a killer bug spray, pun intended. I believe I had sampled the original Amouage Gold (not the cologne) at that time. I agree that the Amouage scents are quite unique and come from an entirely different sensibility about scent and a world of very different customs. I agree that the incense notes are nearly overwhelmin[ch65351] in the more concentrated fragrances.

Fast forward to about two years ago when I was standing in Bergdorf Goodman's sniffing their collection - The men's fragrance section in Bergdorf is ridiculously small and a number of the scents are not available for customers to try without asking a sales associate...they really need to revamp that little room! On a whim, I decided to pick up one of the Amouage scents and "try again"...I am a firm believer that our noses change as do our tastes, and some things I once loved, I now cannot wear and vice versa. I was tremendously surprised - something on my right wrist was deep, smooth, musky, and altogether intoxicating - it was Amouage. But which one? I hadn't looked at the bottle! Darn!

I finally ordered the sample pack from Amouage, and wouldn't you know it - the samples I tried were all old and had turned. I know the scent of starnge perfume and the scent of turned perfume, and these had definitely turned. Gone was my chance to test them out.

Finally, about a year ago, I found that bottle of Gold Cologne I mentioned earlier and decided to just go for it...Amouage is generally easy to swap or re-sell, so I figured it wasn't too big a risk. When the fragrance arrived it was indeed the scent I had tested at Bergdorf's and not nearly as harsh as I had remembered it. Perhaps the cologne is smoother, subtler...

Though I liked it, I knew that it wouldn't be an everyday kinda fragrance. The first time I wore it, I received numerous compliments from my students who thought it smelled like Japanese temple incense. The next time I wore it, one of my usually silent co-workers compimented me offering "I love musk scents. I want what you're wearing".

I recently wore the Gold Cologne again yesterday and this time I was the one who most enjoyed it - sniffing my shirt sleeves every now and then. I just couldn't get enough of it and decided to re-apply after my evening shower...something practically unheard of for me.

marlen

I can't handle Gold :'( Just too much powder, but I still marvel at the composition. I own a tester bottle of Dia thanks to Vegas and I've been using it sparingly. I hated myself at one point because I didn't heed to buying a bottle for $90US from a UK store on eBay. Dia is wearable, and because the Gold is just to much for me, I think Silver is the next best thing...powdery but bearable.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Silver is the winner to me in this line, but it's EXTREMELY powerful. I finally decanted it into a roll on so I could control the app, as honestly, one spray is too much, and now all is fine with the world.

OK, take Kouros add rose, honey and Johnsons baby powder and there you have Amouage gold

I also feel that Gold is a little too powdery for me, althout the one day I wore it to work I got a couple compliments.

Dia on the other hand is pure magic! What an amazing scent.

thanx for all the input, guys! i think i am going to try and ask for samples (and hope they havenīt gone bad as they did in Marlenīs case...).

M

To me it smelled like Chaps by Ralph Lauren. I know I'm going to be attacked one this one! But this is what it smelled like to me a better made more expensive Chaps Cologne :-/

Basenotes Institution

I tried this for the first time today - really horrible.

One word: powder.

I am very open minded when it comes to scents - and I like pretty avant garde stuff and I wear many womens scents. But I draw the line at 'powdery' scents. Amouage Old is not just powdery - it smells like cheap low quality powder to my nose. I washed this off of my hands where I sprayed this (which I rarely do).

You have been warned.

I like Amouage Gold. In fact, I generally like Amouage. Gold has a very powerful civet and lots of very aldehydic florals which give that powdery effect and a big, excellent frankincense. To me it smells kind of old school french because of these aldehyde accords (which belies the nouveau-riche reputation of this house). It is very strong, one spray is enough, three definitely too many. It is definitely not for everyday use. I find it does work quite well to go on for the evening after the day wearing Dia (which really is very good in my opinion), just as they promote it.

It is so powerful that it goes a very long way, so I don't have a bottle as I am yet to get through my 2ml sample.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 6th May 2007 at 11:46 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Off-Scenter

In case yoiu haven't figured it out already, Gold is an extremely divisive scent. I detest it myself, but certainly admit that it may work better on or for others.

Amouage's marketing strategy and pricing policy are both silly, but their products are usually very distinctive, and that's probably why they're so controversial. I have no problem spending ridiculous amounts of money on Dia, which works magnificently for me.

Back to the common theme here: TEST!

Cool Re: Amouage Gold Men

Quote Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
    OK, take Kouros add rose, honey and Johnsons baby powder and there you have Amouage gold
    You forgot quadruple the price tag. Otherwise, right on !

Nicheosity to the max. What a ripoff.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Gold ph is my favourite winter evening fragrance, but during the spring I have found Ciel the most frequently needed and better than Dia or Silver cologne and other amouages, for outdoor daytime parties.
    Ciel has also a strong frankincense note, and it is probably the most relaxing, meditative and chilliest of any fresh/aquatic/sport summer fragrances. Excellent for hanging out with friends, smoking metal water pipes etc at the summer.
    Gold, Dia, Silver and Ciel are all very good fragrances and needed for different party situations. I don't use them daily at the office.

I've only tried Silver and I found that to be a powdery explosion of steel that, while not terrible, has the potential of throwing some people off, including my wife. I'd like to try Gold now that I've heard so much about it (and even especially now that Turin's mentioned it as fabulous).

I do have to agree with Marlen about the design philosophy of Amouage. It's certainly not for your everyday (American) sensibilities.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig View Post
    especially now that Turin's mentioned it as fabulous).
    Turin, as in Luca Turin?

Where did he mention this?

See thread 'Luca Turin - Folio May'..tc. . He mentions it there but doesn't say he loves it... .
    Quoting myself:

"Luca Turin in Folio - May 2007
    Reviewer Heaven

Last edited by narcus; 8th May 2007 at 02:19 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Well he does say it is fabulous!
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

A few weeks ago I wrote a post regarding a note my wife identified as "Old Lady's Purse": Amouage Gold for Men is the quintessential "Old Lady's Purse" fragrance out there. I personally can't wear it, as it is too heavy and makes my wife think of her grandmother playing Canasta instead of me in my tux.

Even in small dosages, this stuff is unwearable if the temperature is anywhere above freezing, and it took me almost an hour to wash it off.

I had a small smaple of this about a year compliments of a generous basenoter. I was dumbfounded by it. It smelled totally like a womens scent to me. It reminds me of chanel #5 and houbigants quelqes fleurs. Its VERY floral.
    Awesomeguy

It took me quite a while to come to terms with Gold. I'm not sure we're on good terms even now. I have noticed one thing - when a scent is very complex, or filled with notes with which I am not familiar, I often at first perceive it as "powdery," which is the case with Gold. The more I sniffed it, however, the more the "powdery" generality lost its hold with me and I was able to pick some notes out of the mix. In this case, rose, civet, and frankincense stand out. It seems very formal to me. I rarely, if ever, have occasion to wear such a scent. Even then, I wonder if it is just "too much" for my tastes and the sensibilities of those around me. I've come to think of it as Ungaro II Extreme or Ungaro II Ultra Formal...They're different fragrances for sure, but the civet-floral combo has me lumping them together.

I find this scent powdery and too floral.
    I try to smell good ingredients and I think that Gold is made with very good ingredients.
    I thought that it is not really a male scent.

I donīt understand why Putin likes this fragrance. This fragrance doesnīt fit to his personality.

It is very difficult to wear this. But if you have lots of special and formal occassions, then it would be worth the money.

I'm hoping this is the fragrance I fell in love with. i was gifted a manuf tester vial in a swap with a clear lid, and no other writing on it other than "amouage". No fragrance name. To me I was afraid to test what smelled like a powder bomb wrapped around extremely fine nag champa incense, the kind at every headshop in the blue box. Only fantastic quality. It smelled like Kiel's musk, powdery for a bit, with ambery, resins, incensy, exotic warmth coming out after the powdery floral top. I've tested so many now, I hope gold pour homme is what I fell in love with.. Anyone else seen a vial like that? Or any advice?