Code of Conduct

Default One scent theory (not what you think...)

First of all, this is not a "if you had to choose just one scent..." thread. We had enough of them already.

No, yesterday I read an extremely boring article about perfume in a german magazine. The usual "where to apply" and "how long can I store it" trivia. And the author wrote, that one should wear only one scent. Or one scent for a couple of months and then change the fragrance.

We had something like this here before, one member quoted a similar GQ article, but in this case the explanation caught my interest.

According to the author, you should wear only one scent, because your environment will associate you with this scent. Of course, you shouldn't wear a fragrance just because of your friends or co-workers, but somehow this guy's got a point. I think we all know people we associate with certain fragrances, my grandma for example always wore Shalimar, so everytime I smell Shalimar, I remember the times when I didn't even know how to pronounce Guerlain.

And in my pre-Basenotes days, Joop! Nightflight was my signature scent. And people recognised me by this fragrance.

Well, I wouldn't want to limitate myself to just one scent anymore, but I think it's an interesting thought.

What do other Basenoters think?

Default Re: One scent theory (not what you think...)

Since I began wearing fragrances in the late 1960's, I 've mostly gone through long periods wearing signature scents. But I kept changing every few years when new ones came out. For a few periods of time, I bought all the ones I liked and alternated.

The one that came coming back as my signature scent was Old Spice.

After finding Basenotes, I entered into another period of alternating. There is no way, after reading about all the scents here, that I can stick with just one. Canoe was my last signature scent earlier this year.

At this time, if I had to choose a signature scent, it would be Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme (with Bulgari Pour Homme bath products).

I read something similar a couple of years ago. The author explained the same association aspect and even pointed out that people who change fragrances often, might be considered undecisive and even untrustworthy. This statement seemed a bit harsh at the time (when I owned 4 or 5 frags) but when I come to think of it, I can understand that some people who don't know you, may consider it that way.
    If you wear a light aquatic one day (Acqua Di Gio), a very rich gourmand (SL's Arabie) the other and followed by something 'strange' (Odeur 71), I could imagine non-fragrance-minded people describing you as unpredictable.

Ah, the eternal dilemma between faithfulness and promisquity!! Both are legitimate options, and each has its pros and cons, but personally I don't think I could stick to one signature scent, and I bet most basenoters could not either. That's for people who don't like fragances, IMHO. It's like someone who only ate hamburgers (or caviar, for the matter) would call him/herself a gourmet. Still, maybe all this jumping from one scent to another is nothing but a quest for "the" definitive fragance that would suit oneself as a glove. So, am I contradicting myself? I'm anxious to read your opinions on this subject.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

It's good to wear only one scent because people will think that you're a reliable guy..at least to non perfume fanatics.

I did this with Cuiron and wore it exclusively at all occasions for more than a year and I really liked how I was so closely connected to the scent. I kind of miss it, since now I'm just this guy who always smell good But I'm having way more fun as it is now of course.

A most romantic notion of course, but I can't do it. There's too much to love and too much to explore.

I'm just not ready to settle down yet!!!

Why So Serious?

I couldn't agree more on this one scent theory. I used to wear Polo Sport all the time back in high school, and people instantly associated this scent with me. But i found wearing just one fragrance is not even a bit satisfying , and my goal is not really for others to remember me by the way i smell, not evening mentioning the influence of Basenotes. Lucky if i wear the same thing twice a month, if that's the case it's probably something i really like. So to the people who are looking to be remembered by the way they smell, i suggest wearing one scent(your signiture). Being unpredictable is not that great all the time. :
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

A big disadvantage is, when wearing a niche as signature scent, you're probably forgotten right after your death. Is that justice ??
    Is that JUSTICE ?? :'( :'( :'(

So what do we learn here?

Wear Acqua di Gio like all the others and you're never forgotten and always "around". ;D ;D
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

the idea of a signature scent appeals greatly to me - that this certain scent is a part of me, not just something i happen to be wearing that day. this kind of thinking still influences my views on what a cologne is for and how i use it. common experience... 12 years after me and my first gf broke up, i am still reminded of her when i smell her perfume. i like that. if she had worn something different every day, that would not happen. i've had signature scents my whole life (changing every few years), until basenotes. i am sure that if it weren't for this site, i would have settled on a new signature scent long ago and have just one bottle on my table. but even now, the ideal i have in mind is to have just 2 scents. summer and winter.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Well, if all bought into the single scent theory BN could abolish the "Scent of the Day" segment!

I always thought that I adhered to the signature scent idea until I realized that over time I accumulated 2 or 3 "signature scents", that I would alternate.

In researching for a new frag on the net I came upon B.N.
    My interest was peaked. I never realized that there was so much variety and nuance in appreciating a fragrance, and the number of different brands and blends!

I now wear a different scent just about every day and enjoy my plunge into the fascinating world of fragrance. I never considered fragrance as a "hobby".
    I'm not sure what my fellow workers may think about this, but I certainly enjoy my new found "hobby".

If the evidence of your character is the cologne you wear, then you have bigger issues fragrance variety.

I don't think I could limit myself to just one single fragrance any more and with the amount of bottles on my dresser I won't have to for some time to come!

Cheers;
    B.G.

It would become the SOTY post. Horrors.

Was it Coco Chanel or Diana Vreeland who said, "find a look and stick to it?" Of course, she was referring to "a look," not "a scent." I think I got the look thing down but I will never settle on one scent. Never!

So what if others think I am unpredictable because I smell different every day. Good. Keep them guessing.

Besides, what other people think of me is none of my business (I muttered to myself as I stood undecided in front of my legions of bottles...)

Griff
    Griff

I used to do the signature scent in the past but I discovered in many cases that after going through a large bottle I was getting sick of that fragrance. Sick to the point that I don't wear that scent anymore. There are too many beautiful fragrances that I dont want to tire of so I alternate regularly. So far, the problem has been eliminated.

I have only started acquiring a variety of frags in the lat year, but now I find it very difficult to wear the same thing for several days in a row. I have tried to wear the same thing to work everyday for a week and I inevitably end up changing by Thursday. Maybe if I put my other frags out of sight it would be easier. I like the idea of a signiture, but if there is one thing that basenotes has taught me, its that its great to wear cologne based on the time, the place, the season, the mood, who you are going to see, etc. Picking a signature almost by definition removes fragrance from the realm of fashion and puts in in the realm of hygeine. You typically don't have a variety of choices in what shower you use and you don't keep different colored razors for different moods. You just have one shower, one razor, and now one cologne - and you use each one everyday and never think twice about it. This is OK, but its the variety that is available in fragrance that gives it a chance to be more interesting than shaving. It is certainly ok to pass up the chance to enjoy a variety of frags (nobody does EVERYTHING that might be fun or enjoyable) but I sure am glad I found the hobby.

In my case, the unpredictability of wearing different scents intrigues women. When I used to wear one scent exclusively, girls would ask me what I was wearing one time and that was the end of it. Now that I change scents daily, girls at work are always eager to give me a hug to see what my new SOTD is. Curiosity is a mysterious thing.

This reminds me of a funny story!

When I left home to move to London to start my nurse training, my mother went out shopping with my dad. As she walked into a department store fragrance section she got very upset cuase the smell of "all the perfumes" made her miss me! LOL! and AWE!

It seems people just associate me with "fragrance" LOL!

Well it made me laugh :

Wouldn't this relate to the Hawthorne Effect? Changing your scent along with the rest of your presentation is a way of projecting your mood and your personality. People will likely remember that you always smelled very good and unique; not specifically what you smelled like.

Cheers.

You know, I would really love to have a signature scent, but I just can't. It's almost impossible now, I'm in too deep as they say. But I try to give the impression that I have at least a couple of signature scents.

Case in point:

In college I tend to wear SMW or Michael for Men.

In a party it's Escada Magnetism, Polo Blue or SMW (Angel Men as well.)

Nights out it's CdG 2 Man or M7.

Then, when I'm at home, I wear anything else.

It gives the impression to other people that only see me at night or at college that I have a few signature scents, but altogether I rotate a lot constantly. And of course I change it around a couple of months.

Anybody else do this?

Quote Originally Posted by CoL²

When I left home to move to London to start my nurse training, my mother went out shopping with my dad. As she walked into a department store fragrance section she got very upset cuase the smell of "all the perfumes" made her miss me! LOL! and AWE!

Well it made me laugh :
    Ha! Great story.

You know, smelling fragrances of the girls I knew in high school always gets me nostalgic. It's a bit sad sometimes. You wish you could go back once in a while... :'(

The only way I can ever see myself having a "signature" scent would be if I, at some point, discover what is for me, the Holy Grail of scent. A scent that is so wonderful in every way imaginable, that every morning(or afternoon) I wake up, it is the only scent I want to wear...forever... A scent that is perfect for every mood, occasion, and season...with perfect sillage and longevity. I am on a quest to find this scent, but I'm not optimistic. I think the best I can hope for is to find a core group of scents...maybe 3 or 4...which are just so great, that I choose to wear them quite frequently...with the occasional new scent added, and the occasional old scent making a departure from the group. And, then, of course, the occasional experimentation with new scents and old, and the wearing of particular neglected scents in the inventory that don't get the love as often as they deserve. I'm less than half a year into this hobby/obsession, but already I have enough decants and bottles to wear a different scent every day for over two weeks straight(nearly 3 as soon as some recently purchased decants arrive). And every morning, and every night out...I stand in front of my shelf...wondering what I'm in the mood for. There are a few I've really fallen for...namely SMW, GIT, and Himalaya...haha...yes, I've come to realize that I'm quite fond of Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by CoL²

Well it made me laugh :
    ;D Great story.

Btw, do we call you CoL to the power of two now? Bit of a mouthful.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    Btw, do we call you CoL to the power of two now? Bit of a mouthful.
    Da force has doubled ;D ;D
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Sounds good to me - one scent, one shirt, one jumper, one pair of pants, one pair of shoes, one pair of underwear - it would certainly make me distinctive to others.
    Renato

Interesting thoughts... It seems that no one here wants to limitate him/herself to just one scent. Well, exactly what I expected.

Personally, I like pavneet's point of view: "Changing your scent along with the rest of your presentation is a way of projecting your mood and your personality".

But there's still one question left: Are we hoping to find the Holy Grail one lucky day? And will we stick to this fragrance until the day we die?

I wouldn't say that I'm looking for THE scent. I'm happy to wear a different scent almost every day. And I'm happy to try new fragrances almost every week.

I, probably like many, found Basenotes while on the prowl for a new signature. My old sig, Bulgary Eau Parfumée au Thé Verte Extreme, had been 'appropriated' by a not so well liked gentlemen in my social sphere. Because of his larger than life profile it was a war I could not win so I threw in the towel. I didn't mind much as after several years of wearing nothing but this I found that quite often I would choose not to wear it more than wearing it. So in my decision to look for something else I came here.

I really do like the idea of a signature scent but after this wonderful world was opened up to me I doubt I can do it. At least not until I audition a few hundred more scents...then perhaps I can get back to just a few.

Well, it is great to be associated with one particular scent but man, that can be boring. variety is the spice of life. When you are a guy and you become too predictable, you send out this message; I am monotonous and boring. A little unpredictability is the way to keep the ladies not getting enough of you.

Rotate scents, not from one extreme to the other.

Up until this year I have always been a one scent man. I was in complete accord (ahem) with the author of that German article. However, these days I am widening my horizons and trying to try more new things. Although I will say this:

I almost never wear a scent for one day and then another for the next day. I like to inhabit a scent and take note of how it changes to my nose over the course of several days. So, these days I skip around, but in jags. I'll wear, for instance, M7 Fresh for a week, getting it in my coats and sweaters, carrying it around in my book bag so that I can smell it in the various stages (fresh on the skin, next day on a shirt I'm hanging up to re-wear, in a wool sweater) because all of them present a different facet. Then, after a week when I do laundry and take stuff to the cleaners, I'll start on Gucci Nobile (a holy grail scent of mine from way back) and wear that for four or five days or a full week.

Cos here's the thing. It smells totally different the first time you wear it after something else. Then the next day, different features of the smell swim up through the cloud, and the next day more still.

And that's what I have to say about that.

Perhaps the notion of a signature scent is one of an earlier time.

It used to be that people would often live in one place their whole life, have one job for their entire career, drive one kind of car, wear one kind of suit.

The proliferation of choices in all these things, and the ability to source worldwide for everything, has changed our notion of not only what is possible, but what is desirable.
    Last edited by zatarain; 7th March 2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: killed sanity clause
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Normal people wear one scent, but man who wants to be normal? Unpredictability is good.

Ahh, one would bore me so much, I have over 100 samples, along with my feeble 5 fragrances that I currently have (got 8 on the way soon!) I still don't think i've got enough of a choice, as sometimes, I just want stuff that I can't even think of!

Even when fragrances used to just be used because everyone in my family uses them, I still had 3-4 bottles (all aquatic general stuff that I've now given away!)

There's another way to do become associated with a particular scent - I'm thinking in terms of a family of scents with a common thread tying them all together. I'm thinking of what Mr. Guerlain does, for instance: stick with one house that has a particular house note or accord.

This way you get variety within that family of fragrances, and have the ability to choose something different to match your mood, match the occasion, etc. But for people who know you well, there will always be that consistent "something" that they'll recognize. You'll know it's the house note or accord, but those around you will just know at some level there's a consistency that's "you".

Any thoughts on this approach? What other houses besides Guerlain have a consistent and distinct house note or accord?

Even with this suggestion, I couldn't personally keep with this consistency and not stray I'd rather just use what I like.
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

My parents both wore fragrances on certain occasions. They had a few favorites, and while some seemed to stay forever, others came and disappeared. But my immediate picture only connects one or two perfumes/lotions with each of them always. These were just them, and nobody else in my life. And both fragrances were present in a rather early stage of their lives and mine. Nothing that came later seems to have mattered for me.

The memory of women and men in my life brings back 'ideas of smells', more or less specific ones, but I am sure they didn't use only one perfume during the period I knew them. I therefore believe that my memory keeps one fragrant snapshot of persons and not much else.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I could never stick to one scent.....the only time I will ever get close to this scenario would be if it was a 'bespoke' scent....created just for me....and the exclusivity would make me stick to it....but I guess I'd still get fed up of it after a while....
    After having exposed to a world of scents (thanks to basenotes), its impossible to choose 10....let alone 1......Its human tendency to get over things.....whether its your car, job, house.....almost everything........We are constantly looking for something new, something exciting that could hold our interest.....for a period of time and then ofcourse we get on another journey to seek something new...yet again.....

If I were to wear a single fragrance for lets say a week or 10 days....I am sure it would bore me to such an extent that I will not return to this fragrance for a few months.....For me 'promiscuity'....atleast for fragrances.....is something I would want....to be able to love wearing fragrances....

gupts

I wear my ordinary (signature) scent for ordinary days (work) and choose special scents for special occasions.

I don't have a signature scent, just a signature house...

that author is assuming that people like you and want to associate a scent with you. Do others have a right to expect us to wear only one scent so they can associate it with us anymore than we have right to expect them to wear fragrance?

I never limited myself to a signature scent, it's rather a "signature rotation" of about 10-12 scents I regularly wear, maybe even more that 10-12, but a pretty much steady group of various frags worn in "heavy rotation", in a sort of a recurring loop

To be honest, I actually agree with this mentality. There is something nice about being associated with a particular scent, and I would generally recommend that to most people. For me, it became more of a hobby, I don't think it will be one which I maintain lifelong but for right now, I'm having allot of fun with it.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Yep in a futuristic society we will all be assigned one scent an we will be able to be identifiied by that scent. I call Pure Malt.

Variety is the spice of life.

I prefer to keep them on their toes. Just when they think "Oh, there he is, undoubtedly smelling of Quorum again" I will surprise them, having spritzed myself with Lolita Lempicka L.

Well, a one scent signature to be remembered isn't such a bad idea, but I rather use fragrances as "time capsules". I mean, that's ME who want to remember some great moments, and to each of my fragrances, I can associate some definite memories. I couldn't do that with only one scent, that wouldn't have the "time machine effect" as a wisely chosen scent for the right moment can do.
    Diversity and unpredictability are my signatures and they smell good
    Top 3 : Jaisalmer | Bulgari Black | Body Kouros

I value variety more than being associated with one scent, although I can see how this would appeal to others.

If a particular person really likes one scent of mine in particular, I might make a point to wear it more often around them so they associate the scent with me.

I've done this with Carnal Flower, but I still can't wear it for more than a few days in a row - I start to lose appreciation for it. Wearing a favorite scent every day would probably turn me off from that fragrance eventually.

I'm exploring my options.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Its all very simple for me. Life is too short to be tied to a limited amount of scents. I don't really want to be associated with a particular brand or scent either. I want to experience as many scents as I can afford a bottle of. If I like/love it, I want to be able to enjoy it as much and as often as I desire. I should look into buying more decants to have even more variety, but that would make me feel restrained for some reason, would not wear something as often with little surplus I guess. I also like knowing there is more to look forward to adding to my collection; it's like a galaxy out there, this fragrance universe, and its fun to explore. Sometime we just like to collect things as well! I bet a lot of basenoters with a decent amount of fragrances also collect other things. Me>Music, Drums, audio gear(personal and home theater), headphones and of course cologne! Would never stick with one.

I can't even commit to one scent a day. I may wear four in one day. I just keep changing my mind all day and spray new ones on.