Code of Conduct

Default What is a topnote...basenote??

Ok.... * when I am reading about a fragrance here at basenotes I notice these triangles showing the notes of the scent...

The notes are divided in top, middle and base..... * Now my question is....... *what makes a note a TOPnote......and not BASEnote.... *

After having studied some fragrances it seems to me that the powefull smells are usually basenotes.... *so does this mean that basenotes are the notes that are dominant in a scent......

I have another thought too........ *I noticed in a lot of reviews it says: "top notes wear off quickly"........Perhaps top notes are what you smell first......... and then some hours/minutes later....it's the middlenote..........and then lastely........Basenote??

Because the scent (the good ones at least) does evovle over some hours.......... And is this beacuse the notes are let off in an specific order........starting with the topnotes...then middle....then base.....

Or is the evovlement caused by the original human scent...(pheromones, body heat and stuff)???

I know I wrote quite a bunch of questions..........but I would really like to know these things.......

Default Re: What is a topnote...basenote??

Quote Originally Posted by dududa
    .......Perhaps top notes are what you smell first......... and then some hours/minutes later....it's the middlenote..........and then lastely........Basenote?? ...
    You just said it.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

The answer can be found at the basenotes faq. Most of what you've said is right! Except the part about the basenotes being strong and dominant.

Thankyou...now I will read the faq so that I don't ask any dumb questions.....