Code of Conduct

Default Tricks to make fragrances last longer?

Hello! First off, let me start my very first post by saying how great, complete and helpful this whole web site is (pages and forums). Thank you very much for all the information contained in the reviews and discussions I have found here! it has been of the greatest help!

Sadly, I did not find everything that I wanted to know, I was wondering if there was a way to prolong the life spawn of my EDT (that is all I currently own, no EdP)

I have been cursed with very dry skin, and have a hard time finding fragrances that last and develop well on me, and sadly my first purchase (before I found you guys) turned out to be a smell I love, with a dry down I love even more, but that disappears after a mere 2 hours. I promised myself to always try, multiple times and over the course of at least a week, my next purchases, but I'd be immensely grateful for a way to infuse some more life in my current fragrance.

Oh, btw, it's Sentiment by Escada, I have Magnetism, too, but this one lasts decently, which sadly Sentiment doesn't.

Thanks in advance for any help and tips!

Default Re: Tricks to make fragrances last longer?

oftentimes the scent will be reactivated if your body heats up (i noticed this while bumping bunnies). so get hot. or just use more.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

MJH

Welcome to Basenotes!

A couple of tips:
    1. Try switching soaps, and avoid deodorant soaps altogether. There are lots of terrific soaps
    out there that don't contain odor-masking chemicals. I prefer olive-oil based soaps myself.
    2. Use an unscented moisturizer or body oil after bathing, give it a few minutes to settle in,
    then apply your fragrance: the oils will help trap the scent. Just like with soaps, though, many
    moisturizers contain odor-masking ingredients. I prefer unscented jojoba, sesame or almond oils.
    3. If possible, wait an hour or two after bathing to put on fragrance: your skin has a better chance of
    rehydrating, and that will also help your fragrance's longevity.
    4. Women sometimes mention spraying a cotton ball with their scent and tucking in their bras.
    For us guys, try wearing a pocket handerchief that's been spritzed with your scent in your breast pocket.
    Or (if your not too worried about staining an expensive shirt), apply a bit of the spray to your shirt collar
    or cuff. The fabric will usually hold the fragrance longer than your skin will.

The one thing that has contributed significantly to my fragrance longevity is Kiehl's Unscented Body Wash. It's got a small amount of olive oil in it; so not only is it great for your skin, I believe it increases fragrance lasting power.

In addition, I use unscented laundry detergent, unscented fabric softener, etc., etc. which all helps, IMHO.

#

I usually apply an unscented lotion before applying my scent. This REALLY improves duration for me and I have dry skin as well due to acidic sweat and hyperhydrosis.

After applying lotion to my body, I spray my chest and then immediately put on a shirt. This causes the scent to soak into the skin as well as the shirt so it is retained longer. Then I top it off with two sprays to the throat from a far enough distance so that the mist gets on my collar also. For sillage I'll spray the back of my neck too but that's only when I go out at night.

As for Magnetism, I have to be very generous with the application because my skin rips it to shreds. I do 2 sprays to the chest, 2 sprays to the throat, 2 sprays to the back of my neck, and one spray to the wrist. Finally I'll top it off with one more shot to the front of my shirt and then I'm set for a night of clubbing.

I have this problem with L'eau par Kenzo wich i adore and have to reapply it every 6h, but if i use the shower gel it lasts forever.

Spraying on exposed parts of the body.
    Pros:Better projection.
    Cons: Perfume evaporates more fast.

Spraying on non-exposed parts of the body.
    Pros:More steady evaporation. Perfume lasts longer.
    Cons:Scent stays close to body. Little projection.

Which one would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    Spraying on exposed parts of the body.

Maybe a combination of both... 8-)

« L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Sandalwood
    [quote author=Xen link=1130202259/0#6 date=1130225416]Spraying on exposed parts of the body.

Maybe a combination of both... 8-)

[/quote]
    If you do that...
    Pros: You'll have the pros of both methods.
    Cons: Because the frag is evaporating at different rates, you might end up with two different scents on your body(offset of the balance of notes). If you do that, you might end up spraying too much, too.

Why do I keep talking about pros and cons.. ;D

If you wear an undershirt, spray some fragrance on that too.

If you use hair gel or wax, spray some fragrance on your hands and run thru your hair prior to applying the hair product. (note: do not try this if you have no hair... )

AZTEC

If you do that...
    Pros: You'll have the pros of both methods.
    Cons: Because the frag is evaporating at different rates, you might end up with two different scents on your body(offset of the balance of notes). If you do that, you might end up spraying too much, too.
    Good point, but this is what I do all the time. Now I'm confused. :-/
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by whitechandoo
    I have this problem with L'eau par Kenzo wich i adore and have to reapply it every 6h, but if i use the shower gel it lasts forever.
    I have the same problem... I'm running out of my normal, boring shower gel soon so perhaps I should try out L'eau Par. It's just so expensive.

I am hard-core non-exposed sprayer. In cold weather, I'll put two or three shots on the insides of my upper forearms and let it dry well before putting on a long-sleeved shirt (with cuffs buttoned) and sweater. Treated this way, even fragrances like Mouchoir de Mosieur, which many folks find to be short lived, last well (8 or 9 hours for MdM). I value the fact that the scent projects very little. My own sense of smell does not get habituated to the fragrance, and I will be able to smell it intermittently all day long. Also, I will not knock people down when I walk past them. If a fragrance does not project enough, the next time I wear it I increase the dose.

Why So Serious?

sounds like you need to buy some gift sets ;D. Get the body shampoo, aftershave balm, soap....along with your fragrance, and use one after the other, i think you should be good. :
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Spraying your feet before you put your socks on. Strange but true scent rises by the heat of your feet the scent will wafer up.

Thank you all very much for the terrific advises, but I seem to have another slight concern...

2 small things combine prove to be quite a hassle..

1- I'm very new to skin care products (I've been gifted with a skin's whose worse problem is dryness)
    2- English is not my native language

What is the difference between: moisturizer, body oil and skin lotion?

is one of these a shower gel 'thingy'? (english is failing me!)
    I'm guessing the lotion is that thick and white mixture my mother used to use during winter?

I use Aveeno unscented body wash in the shower, along with unscented Mitchum anti-perspirant/deoderant afterwards..

For shampoo, I don't care about the scent.

I use Keri brand unscented lotion, then I spray some on my neck, arms, and shirt (inside and out).

Does the trick

I discovered a while back that if I wait about 30 minutes after showering to apply scent, it lasts much longer for some reason. Also, I carry a small decant of whatever I am wearing that day and discreetly refresh my sillage midday.

Griff
    Griff

One way to make a scent last longer is to spray it on your left arm if you're right handed, or to spray it on your right arm if you're left handed. If you're right handed, your left arm is going to be about 2 degrees cooler, because it gets less blood flow. If you've sprayed on a cooler surface, the scent will evaporate more slowly. At the same time, unfortunately, because the scent is evaporating more slowly, it's going to be less apparent.

oils are being consumed as they evaporate and there isn't any spoilage.
    there is no way to actually make them somehow last longer.

reapplication is the only way, but it too is problematic when there are fleeting top notes and a strong base.
    eventually it loses balance as base oils build up.

If the sprayer generates a fine mist, a little gets on my shirt and that can help a lot, which is why I hate sprayers that dribble out !

Try a lotion with a silicone/cyclomethicone base and apply fragrance over it.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

"After applying lotion to my body, I spray my chest and then immediately put on a shirt. This causes the scent to soak into the skin as well as the shirt so it is retained longer."

Agreed, except I usually spray it up my shirt that way it is already on and I don't have to try to hurry and put it on to capture the smell. With fragrances that are very fleeting like John Varvatos, I usually put a few very heavy sprays from only a few inches from my skin. It seems to give better longevity. I am also of the belief (like some other BNers here) that spraying on the back of my arms where I have some hair helps trap the smell better than spraying on my wrists. I don't buy into all that pulse points nonsense since I know for a fact that fragrances last forever on the more hairy parts of my arms and chest.
    Last edited by jbthorpe; 2nd October 2010 at 05:04 AM. Reason: oops

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    ["After applying lotion to my body, I spray my chest and then immediately put on a shirt. This causes the scent to soak into the skin as well as the shirt so it is retained longer."

Agreed, except I usually spray it up my shirt that way it is already on and I don't have to try to hurry and put it on to capture the smell. With fragrances that are very fleeting like John Varvatos, I usually put a few very heavy sprays from only a few inches from my skin. It seems to give better longevity. I am also of the belief (like some other BNers here) that spraying on the back of my arms where I have some hair helps trap the smell better than spraying on my wrists. I don't buy into all that pulse points nonsense since I know for a fact that fragrances last forever on the more hairy parts of my arms and chest.
    And no, I'm not neanderthal hairy.

In my case, unscented body lotions or body creams did somehow enhance longevity a bit