Code of Conduct

Default BASENOTES IS NOT SEXIST!!!

Hello,
    Just wondering why you think there are so many more topics started in these forums regarding mens fragrance than womens?
    Certainly not stereotypical I think.
    Benjamin

Default Re: Is Basenotes sexist?

It think it has more to do with more men (or women that enjoy men's fragrances) so that generally means more topics. If Basenotes was sexist, than there would be a strong encouraging from the moderators to avoid posts about women's fragrances. Finally, if you want more posts on women's fragrances, do it yourself.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

LET'S ALL RAID THE WOMEN'S FRAGRANCE FORUMS!

I wasn't really implying Basenotes was sexist, that was just an attenton grabber.
    As for posting in the female forums, no thanks. I get no pleasure from 'girly' scents. Although I am wearing Magnetism at the moment :-*

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know, Basenotes started as a male only fragrance site. The female section is quite new.
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

So if you post in the female forums it means you wear girly scents? :-?
    Didn't know that. As far as scents are concerned they seem to be making alot more unisex scents...go figure.
    The raiding of the girls forums was in reference to the old days when we all went to camp...nevermind.
    I must be bored

What are you going on about noseorgy?
    All I want to know is why there are more posts on this website from men than from women.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to browse the female fragrance section every now and then. You can actually learn a lot about them that way. For example what notes they like and dislike in scents. They also have similar posts as us too (What fragrances drive MEN wild?). They're just as friendly as the male members and many are just as knowledgeable. You never know when you might need advice on picking out a perfume for your girlfriend. *

As for why we have more posts, I'm assuming it's either because we're more curious or perhaps we just complain more.

Hmmm...because we ask more questions :-? the only way to really find out is to ask the ladies. That would be my plan of action. I guess the whole sexism thing threw me off. I always get peeved because I think women have better selections and more options than the men do. Why aren't there more men's eau de parfums or parfums? Why are women's frags generally more expensive? Are they better quality?
    Sorry I guessed I answered your question with more unrelated questions. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Noseorgy
    *Why aren't there more men's eau de parfums or parfums? :-/
    Yeah, why is that. I got a collection of 50 fragrances now and the only one which is an EDP is Lalique pour homme.
    Something must be done!! >

Now we're getting somewhere. *Apparently there is no market for men's parfums even though they are longer lasting and generally smell better than their watered down counter parts. *I guess guys don't care about that kind of stuff yet look at our posts compared to the women's, like a 4X more. *What's the missing peice here?
    Do women in general just automatically know more about scents than men and thus post fewer queries? *Or are men just really dumb and ask the same questions over and over again like which scents attract women? ;D *I'm sure that one topic probably added quite a bit to our tally. *Are any women reading these posts?
    We could use your opinions here.

Edit: *I don't buy EDTs anymore unless it is a really really good scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed
    As far as I know, Basenotes started as a male only fragrance site. The female section is quite new.
    Ding! Dr. Creed would be correct here. The women's board is less than a year old. This started as men's only, and Mr. Notes, with some help from Lionel one would imagine, has started a women's board too. Plus this is about the only place I've seen on the Web that has a specific forum just for men's scents. Plus the mods here are some sexy beasts. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed
    Quote Originally Posted by Informer
    It think it has more to do with more men... so that generally means more topics.
    this is the reason. probably there are more men here than women, since the women's section is newer. also, perhaps there are more resources for women on the net, so they are not all concentrated here. just a guess though.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

The answer was in front of us the whole time if that is the case.

One way to figure it out is extrapolation or interpolation :-? How long has the men's forum been going? How many women have been posting in the men's forums before the women's forums were up and running? If we can get theses two answers we can see if the above stated answer is in fact the real truth or just partial.
    Can you tell I'm an FDA drug investigator?

MJH

Basenotes began as a discussion group focused on scents marketed toward men.
    The women's discussion forum was a later addition. There are several other discussion groups
    where the primary focus/interest is scents marketed towards women: PerfumeofLife, the MakeupAlley Fragrance Discussion page, PerfumeAddicts and several others. Men are welcome to participate in those other groups, too (I do), but the Basenotes Male Fragrance forum is still the only well-known forum specifically created for men.

How long has the men's forum been going? How many women have been posting in the men's forums before the women's forums were up and running? If we can get theses two answers we can see if the above stated answer is in fact the real truth or just partial.
    all i can say is that purely from memory, i recall that a couple years ago there were a lot more men than women here. i have no idea about actual numbers. nor do i have any idea about lurkers. but originally, bn was primarily focused on men's cologne.

The Basenotes 'concept' was concieved in 1999 and in August 2000 the site was launched on the world wide web. Its initial brief was to be a guide for men who were interested in learning more about the world of male fragrance and grooming products.

Five years on from the initial concept of providing men with usable information, Basenotes has grown to provide information on the world of women's fragrances too.
    http://www.basenotes.net/info/about.html
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I imagines we probably couldn;t get the numbers I was asking for but in relative terms the women have been here for a year and have roughly 7498 posts in one year and the men have around 43175 posts in 6 years or so. My previous post was in regards to the amount of topics, not posts...sorry. So actually if the women were to continue along their mathematical path, not including any additional members, in 6 years they would have around 44,000 posts, pretty equal to us. So its probably about equal right now, but you never know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrBen
    What are you going on about noseorgy?
    All I want to know is why there are more posts on this website from men than from women.
    If we had a forum on bras or on kitchen utensils or on bed linen or on knitting, would you be wondering why there are more posts from women than from men?
    The answer is that in general, males have a propensity to be more interested in participating in male fragrance discussion.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

perfumeoflife and makeupalley have more women than men. Does that make them sexist? No of course not. I don't even understand your question. Isn't it obvious that on a men's fragrance discussion board most of the members would be male? Yes there are other forums on here and the feminine fragrances board has more female than men.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Basenotes is sexy. Just not when Paul G. posts them Halloween pictures of himself in drag.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark
    I think Basenotes is sexy. Just not when Paul G. posts them Halloween pictures of himself in drag.
    You can say that again.

I think Paul was very cute as an angel! :-* I would have preferred the natural red curls, though...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I imagines we probably couldn;t get the numbers I was asking for but in relative terms the women have been here for a year and have roughly 7498 posts in one year and the men have around 43175 posts in 6 years or so. *My previous post was in regards to the amount of topics, not posts...sorry. *So actually if the women were to continue along their mathematical path, not including any additional members, in 6 years they would have around 44,000 posts, pretty equal to us. *So its probably about equal right now, but you never know
    If this helps: Before we moved to this forum, we were hosted on Yahoo! Groups from late 2000 until 2003. The women's forum is just over a year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=MrBen link=1130188418/0#6 date=1130190066]What are you going on about noseorgy?
    If we had a forum on bras or on kitchen utensils or on bed linen or on knitting, would you be wondering why there are more posts from women than from men?
    The answer is that in general, males have a propensity to be more interested in participating in male fragrance discussion.
    Renato[/quote]

Well actually we used to have alot of threads on these topics, and mostly by a male member even! And usually these threads contained alot of references to Carolina Herrera.

lol. just kidding JP, wherever you are. Still, your rants against Marc Jacobs men smelling like old ladies, and all your talk of bridge club, knitting sweaters, jello molds, and taking "the old buick" out ...that was some funny sh*t.

PS, regarding Paul's drag pic. I liked it but my fave was the South Park version. There was one of Paul, one of Col, I believe, and one of a Santos wearing Freddy Mercury lookalike.

lol. just kidding Mando, wherever you are. I feel bad starting that International Male thread that led to the whole firestorm, but its better to burn out than fade away. cheers.

If it wouldn't piss the mods off, I'd like to start a thread. Who was your favorite "love/hate former Basenoter? Oh, the memories...
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Post Thanks / Like

sexist is...

http://media.putfile.com/WetlookWasserbett

sexist... whoever laughs here! (I did, thanks, Liquid for your off topic waterbed!)
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I agree with AZsmells, I don't quite get the point of this question.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    PS, regarding Paul's drag pic. I liked it but my fave was the South Park version. There was one of Paul, one of Col, I believe, and one of a Santos wearing Freddy Mercury lookalike.

lol. just kidding Mando, wherever you are. I feel bad starting that International Male thread that led to the whole firestorm, but its better to burn out than fade away. cheers.

If it wouldn't piss the mods off, I'd like to start a thread. Who was your favorite "love/hate former Basenoter? Oh, the memories...
    I guess this refers to days before 2005? But the pictures mentioned twice now - where are they? Can someone bring me up to date, pls.?
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    heh heh

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    I guess this refers to days before 2005? But the pictures mentioned twice now - where are they? Can someone bring me up to date, pls.?
    i know there are some mando pics here: http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1079216989

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    [quote author=Indie_Guy link=1130188418/15#22 date=1130226206]If it wouldn't piss the mods off, I'd like to start a thread. *Who was your favorite "love/hate former Basenoter? *Oh, the memories...
    heh heh

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    i know there are some mando pics here: http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1079216989
    [/quote]
    Ahh the memories.
    Things have been pretty tame around here for a while.
    I do really miss the compulsive Herrera talk though.
    Renato

It is a men's forum. Please don't insult the fine posters here by insinuating sexism. I am sure on further thought you would not have used the term sexism. This is a forum that unites, not divides. Please don't post such inflammatory and unkind and untrue statements. There are enough sites where one can accuse people of untoward things. This is not one of them.

I assume you meant no harm, but please, don't make such statements here. Just because there are more posts by men than women doesn't make a place sexist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AtinayBoy
    It is a men's forum. Please don't insult the fine posters here by insinuating sexism. I am sure on further thought you would not have used the term sexism. This is a forum that unites, not divides. Please don't post such inflammatory and unkind and untrue statements. There are enough sites where one can accuse people of untoward things. This is not one of them.

I assume you meant no harm, but please, don't make such statements here. Just because there are more posts by men than women doesn't make a place sexist.
    Well said.

Post Thanks / Like

These inane attempts at posts, like the 'is basenotes sexist', 'what scents do gays where?', etc, really need to be nipped in the bud by the power-that-be, ie the moderators. They are not worthy of a fourm such as Basenotes.

If I am accused of being wrong in this observation then I'll just carry on enjoying fragrances on my own.
    As much as I really enjoy basenotes and many of the well-informed, entertaining,thoughtful, and sensible posts, I fear that if these threads are not addressed early on then Basenotes will just become a forum for juvenile, petulant musings.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

i think the op did not mean it like that...

Well, aside from the female forum on BN being much new than the men's, the female forum seems alot slower than other perfume forums I have read. *Not a criticism, but an observation. *I'm not sure why that is. *I have some vague ideas on it, but they aren't well-informed enough to share. *

Honestly, I like the flavor of the men's forum. *I'm unfamiliar with alot of the frags that are discussed, but I really enjoy and appreciate the way that you fellas are able to kid eachother and vehemently disagree without the discussion turning completely acrid and personal. *This often is not the case on female-dominant forums. *Ya know, EVERYTHING is significant to us sometimes. That IS a sexist comment and I will stand by it. *LOL *BN is not sexist, IMO. *I have always felt quite welcomed on the male forum before and after the advent of the women's forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Liquid,
    You're correct. I don't believe the author meant for this post to go in the direction that it has gone or for it reach the tenor that it has, but his choice of title leaves me to wonder the true objective he had in mind or whether he had thought it out before posting his query.

Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Quote Originally Posted by sharilstuff
    but I really enjoy and appreciate the way that you fellas are able to kid eachother and vehmently disagree without the discussion turning completely acrid and personal. *This often is not the case on female-dominant forums. *Ya know, EVERYTHING is significant to us sometimes. That IS a sexist comment and I will stand by it. *LOL
    ;D ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by graffham
    These inane attempts at posts, like the 'is basenotes sexist', 'what scents do gays where?', etc, really need to be nipped in the bud by the power-that-be, ie the moderators. They are not worthy of a fourm such as Basenotes.

If I am accused of being wrong in this observation then I'll just carry on enjoying fragrances on my own.
    As much as I really enjoy basenotes and many of the well-informed, entertaining,thoughtful, and sensible posts, I fear that if these threads are not addressed early on then Basenotes will just become a forum for juvenile, petulant musings.
    I have read your own 'well informed, entertaining and sensible posts', Graffam. Quite frankly I am not impressed.
    As for being petulant and juvenile, I admit to being so. With that said.... EAT MY SHORTS!!!

now now...

look! KITTENS!

LOL!!! Nice kitties, though i much prefer PUPPIES!!! Now that could be chauvinistic, but what the heck... ;D

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

now now...

look! KITTENS!
    Awwww.... Snoogie-Woogie! Bitsy Pookums! :-* :-* :-*

But to answer the title question: Nope.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Yvan

now now...

look! *KITTENS!
    I was wondering where that civet note was coming from!

But this raises another question: Are Kittens Sexist? *And advancing milamber's hypothesis a step further, would a clear majority of cats prefer that you spray a female fragrance on them, and would over 50% of dogs prefer that you spray a male fragrance on them? *The head spins at the possibilities.

Yvan

deleted by poster: trust me, it wasn't funny and didn't add to the discussion.

Default Re: BASENOTES IS NOT SEXIST!!!

What's wrong with being sexy?

Default Re: BASENOTES IS NOT SEXIST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    What's wrong with being sexy?
    i also don't see any problem with violins on TV.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by graffham
    It has been a real task but I can now see your point of view. I would never be able to share it though: It is easy enough to decide for myself which posts I want to laugh, get inspired or fuming mad about, and which I simply ignore.

The suitability tests in the eyes of any moderator could result in the most boring posts allowed for me to read. I regularly regret when a heated discussion is closed by force. I concede, this may be necessary as an emergency. But when a thread was in fact closed I have found that premature always. A n d myself being involved or not, I feel it's somewhat injust when best contributions are cut off together with some undesired ones. It hurts me and everybody looses.

One way or the other - Basenotes is the best scent forum I know of. You can correct me by naming one nearly as good (male scents, preferably).