Code of Conduct

Default Everything is too sweet!

One problem I've run into with fragrances since I started looking into this, is that everything seems to smell way too sweet once I've applied it. For example, A*Men gets absolutely sickening after about 10 minutes, it's so sweet it'll make me gag when I smell it. Same thing with Catsuit. I'd like something that will be a little sweet once applied, but not way over the top like the others I've tried. One I like so far is CK Obsession for men, that seems to be just about right, but it's just about almost too sweet, plus it's a little too warm and girly for my tastes. Any suggestions? Of everything I've tried so far, the only ones I like are CK Obsession for men, Cuba Blue, and Creed Royal English Leather and GiT. I'd like to find something a bit more modern and "cool" though. I like the Cuba Blue the best, I think, which is ironic 'cause it's the cheapest ($5 for 1.17oz/35ml at the local mall, and that's at the mall in the specialty perfume store. It's even cheaper online).

Default Re: Everything is too sweet!

Try the following:
    Heritage by Guerlain
    Vetiver by Guerlain
    Knize 10
    Third Man by Caron
    Trussardi Uomo
    Erolfa by Creed

One problem I've run into with fragrances since I started looking into this, is that everything seems to smell way too sweet once I've applied it.
    Stop looking at Designer frags that went on the market in the last 10 years and especially the stuff of the last 5 years - it is mostly all crap. Look at Designer stuff at least 5 years, or better, 10 years old and artisinal stuff.
    In the artisinal class I include Etro, CdG as well as L'Artisan, Villoresi, SMN etc.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Oh, I forgot to mention M7 by YSL. It is one of the few recent Designer fragrances that I have any regard for and I don't think anyone has ever accused it of being too sweet.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Modern, cool and absolutely not sweet are also

• Virgilio by Diptyque (green, very herbal)
      Barbier des Isles by Comptoir Sud Pacifique (woody)
      Herba Fresca by Guerlain (herbal, minty)
      Gendarme V, Gendarme Grabazzi (fresh, soapy)
      Comme des Garcons 2 Man (incense, quite heavy)
      KenzoAir (Anise)
      Comme des Gercons Series 6 (especially Dry Clean: very fresh, avantgardistic)

... and I totally agree with dcampen: look at Deigner classics or have a look at niche frags.

I don't know about modern and cool, but both Havana and Vetiver from Santa Maria Novella are the two most scorched earth, arid, bone dry scents I've ever experienced and, as a result, they are the anti-thesis of "sweet". Are you game?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    Oh, I forgot to mention M7 by YSL. It is one of the few recent Designer fragrances that I have any regard for and I don't think anyone has ever accused it of being too sweet.
    Indeed!!!
    I just want to say that!!! ;D ;D ;D

Try MPG Route du Vetiver, no sweetness at all just raw earthy vetiver.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Have you tried Spanish scents yet, like P. Rabanne's or Puig's?
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I agree there's a little too much sweetness around.

Try Yatagan.

If you're looking for modest sweet scents then perhaps you might want to try Paco XS and Guerlain L'Instant.

Well then, i recommend:

1. Kingdom.
    2. Kouros.
    3. Yatagan.
    4. Bel Ami.
    5. Cuiron.
    6. Aigner In Leather Man.
    7. Santos Concentree.
    8. Davidoff Zino.
    9. Havana.
    10. Aramis.

Don't get Hanae Mori (Frootloops) or Body Kouros (cotton candy) whatever you do.

Santa Maria Novella - Vetiver. The least sweet fragrance I've ever tried I think ;D

Thanks for all the suggestions, I can see I'm gonna spend a fortune on samples and decants!

milamber: Kouros? *Come one, I ain't THAT much of a newbie * *:P *;D

In all seriousness, it's not that I don't like sweet scents, in fact, I liked the two I mentioned (Catsuit and A*Men) on strips, and when just applied, because they were a bit sweet, but then they got way too sweet on my skin. *I guess I'm looking for something with just a touch of sweetness, which will develop into just the right amount.

I think my next purchase will be the rest of the Creed samples (Unisex and Private lines) from Raffy. *I'll probly order any of the other samples that I didn't already get.

Another one that I like at first but gets too sweet is DK Men.

I like Vetiver, so I'd probly like fragrances that contain some.

I seem to be very picky for some reason, I've not found anything I *really* like yet, just some that I don't hate. *

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I'll write them down and go looking.

added:

I find that Le Male is about the right amount of sweetness, but the rest of it is just kinda blah, so I don't especially like it that much.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    Santa Maria Novella - Vetiver. The least sweet fragrance I've ever tried I think ;D
    I haven't smelled SMN, but you can't too much drier (unless you apply sand from Death Valley) than Etro - Vetiver!

I don't know if they're considered cool or not, but some relatively new, non sweet scents include
    Gucci Rush
    Gucci Pour Homme
    Versace Jeans Coutour
    Rochas Lui
    Celine
    Rykeil Grey
    Armani White
    Visit
    Kenneth Cole Black

Renato

Why So Serious?

Boss #6
    Romance Silver
    DK Unleaded
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I can see I'm gonna spend a fortune on samples and decants!

milamber: Kouros? *Come one, I ain't THAT much of a newbie * *:P *;D
    Yeah, i tried to slip that one in there! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
    I find that Le Male is about the right amount of sweetness, but the rest of it is just kinda blah, so I don't especially like it that much.
    In that case, I recommend Versace Dreamer and Cristobal by Balenciaga. They're more refined than Le Male. They sing, they don't shout.

To me, A*Men has a dry nature compared to cavity inducing Hanae Mori. Stay with "greener" scents, with a bit of citrus like Iceberg Effusion, CK Truth, Guerlain Vetiver, etc.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Yvan

Have you tried Burberry Touch? *I wore it today; it's a little sweet but not over the top; I think it might fit your requirements. *At least one woman's complimented me on it. *An oriental with some musk, some spice, light wood, a little powdery, some light florals.

Another possibility might be Samourai by Alain Delon, an oriental that is not too sweet. *I characterized it as having some sandalwood, spice (including cardamom and slight "pinkish" pepper berries), plus light florals (jasmine?), patchouli, slightly powdery, with some musk.

Yet another possibility is Givenchy Gentleman, but that could be too far in the other direction; it's certainly not sweet, but it's also a bit formal...a slightly potent old-school type, but classy! *