Code of Conduct

Default All this Gaultier2 talk is making me sick...

While CoL and many other Basenoters on the "other side of the pond" are raving about Gaultier2, us Americans, Canadians, and Mexicans have been left out in the cold until early 2006.

That's right: a person like me who lives in the US can't get their hands on a bottle of this miraculous juice unless I fork out $500 on an airline ticket to Paris or London. Heck, even Armani Black Code was procureable in Canada before the (late) US launch. Making things worse, NONE of the online fragrance sites have Gaultier2 in yet.

The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if BPI adds insult to injury by giving Gaultier2 initial US launch exclusivity at Neiman Marcus, a retailer I deplore, for the first 30-90 days before it trickles down into stores that I actually can use a MasterCard at such as Nordstrom, Saks, Macy's, and Sephora.

All this is making me sick. I hate you, BPI. And I will double-hate you if this ends up an "NM Exclusive".
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: All this Gaultier2 talk is making me sick...

Theres always eBay!

There were LOOOOOADS of bottles on eBay that shipped worldwide!

Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    Theres always eBay!

What eBay are you refering to, eBay UK? I checked eBay USA and saw two (yes, two) bottles with outrageous shipping costs and a few extremely overpriced samples and minis.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Lol...your post made me hollar....I do feel you though...I live on an island that is 21sq. miles...so you can imagine the frustration I go through just trying to sample and smell stuff.. One of our leading frag distributors recently closed down..but some other retailers are trying to pick up the slack and I am on them like 'Cadbury on Chocolate'. I do get some decants and samples from fellow notes family.

Well all the best on your quest for G2......

Peace and Safety,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    [quote author=CoL link=1130183589/0#1 date=1130183709]Theres always eBay!

What eBay are you refering to, eBay UK? I checked eBay USA and saw two (yes, two) bottles with outrageous shipping costs and a few extremely overpriced samples and minis.[/quote]
    If you do a search for Gaultier 2 and tick "sellers worldwide" it will throw up all sellers that will ship to the USA. All of the G2 auctions I saw (yes I bid on almost all of them and lost LOL) stated they would ship to the us

http://health-beauty.search.ebay.com...1QQsacatZ26395

Try this!

Or this!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jean-Paul-GAULTI...QQcmdZViewItem

Its only got 2 hours left and the P+P is pretty fair me thinks at £5:50 (sround $9) plus the bottles are £39 and they retail for £50!

I know what you mean, l live on an island too and I can't get the latest releases till a couple of months later... but I sampled Gaultier2 last week and it didn't do too much for me, Prada on the other hand, a delight.

Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    I know what you mean, l live on an island too and I can't get the latest releases till a couple of months later... but I sampled Gaultier2 last week and it didn't do too much for me, Prada on the other hand, a delight.
    Not Prada MAN?!?!??!!??!

[quote author=wedge link=1130183589/0#6 date=1130186370] I know what you mean, l live on an island too and I can't get the latest releases till a couple of months later... but I sampled Gaultier2 last week and it didn't do too much for me, Prada on the other hand, a delight.
    Not Prada MAN?!?!??!!??! [/quote]

Ditto that suprised and questioning look.

Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    I'm gonna risk being cursed by CoL, but I have to agree. Relax about G2...it is sweet, simple, and not very exciting. It does smell good, but it was definitely not for me. It opens with a similar tone as classique and from there it's sweet and ambery right to the end.

Definitely should be tested before any big bux are spent!

marlen

[quote author=wedge link=1130183589/0#6 date=1130186370] I know what you mean, l live on an island too and I can't get the latest releases till a couple of months later... but I sampled Gaultier2 last week and it didn't do too much for me, Prada on the other hand, a delight.
    Not Prada MAN?!?!??!!??! [/quote]

Nay, the one marketed to women. Sorry about the confusion. http://www.basenotes.net/ID10212700.html

Prada Man isn't out until next spring at least.

I think Gaultier2 smells like my sneakers... No not the old sweaty ones
    Sprayed G2 on my hand the other day(sticker on tester read "try it on your skin" or something like that).
    After that I bought a pair of sneakers (I'm a sneaker-nut).

I think the smell of fresh sneakers out of the box (kind of sweet synthetic)smells like G2...

It is true that this scent is a very simple one – as the notes already indicate. I happen to like those notes an when they are put together this way without other disturbing notes.... yummy for me!

At least I don’t get much other notes (not for example the bubblegum thing CoL has been mentioning) from G2, and it would be interesting to know (for sure, not just impressions) if something “complimentary” extra is put into the composition without it being mentioned in all the main marketing and presentations.

As for the comparison to Classique, there definitely is some similarity due to the trio of basenotes in Classique that are the same in G2. But I find that Classique stays far more pungent and icky-sweet throughout whereas G2 is rounder and softer (and simpler). G2 doesn’t take turns and change much, on me it just stays, softens, and fades (longevity is good though). So if you find your excitement from fragrances that develop into different stages, I’d advice you to skip this.

Gaultier’s Le Male has at least here in Finland become a scent that a horde of young guys go buy blindly even if they don’t really enjoy it themselves but because they think that “chicks dig it and I’ll be a real Casanova with this” :P. I’d be very surprised if G2 became as popular, as it doesn’t really evoke any traditional masculine impressions, and some people (for example perhaps the “chicks” those young smart guys are always thinking about :) will definitely find it too feminine to be worn by men.

I like it a lot, but certainly try before you buy a bucketful!

(Oh and this was my first post here, wohoo)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael
    Gaultier’s Le Male has at least here in Finland become a scent that a horde of young guys go buy blindly even if they don’t really enjoy it themselves but because they think that “chicks dig it and I’ll be a real Casanova with this” :P.
    Hi Mikael and welcome to Basenotes! Greetings from Sweden here

A perfect example of what you describe above happened to my brother. He trains a soccer team with teenagers and when they were down in denmark to play some cup they all got to smell his Le Male. And almost every singel one of them bought a bottle for themselves in the taxfree shop on the boat back to Sweden. My brother was not very cheerful about his soccerteam and him smelling the same... ;D

That's funny! The same thing happened with Drakkar and my camp counselor when I was in 7th grade!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael
    It is true that this scent is a very simple one – as the notes already indicate. I happen to like those notes an when they are put together this way without other disturbing notes.... yummy for me!

At least I don’t get much other notes (not for example the bubblegum thing CoL has been mentioning) from G2, and it would be interesting to know (for sure, not just impressions) if something “complimentary” extra is put into the composition without it being mentioned in all the main marketing and presentations.

As for the comparison to Classique, there definitely is some similarity due to the trio of basenotes in Classique that are the same in G2. But I find that Classique stays far more pungent and icky-sweet throughout whereas G2 is rounder and softer (and simpler). G2 doesn’t take turns and change much, on me it just stays, softens, and fades (longevity is good though). So if you find your excitement from fragrances that develop into different stages, I’d advice you to skip this.

Gaultier’s Le Male has at least here in Finland become a scent that a horde of young guys go buy blindly even if they don’t really enjoy it themselves but because they think that “chicks dig it and I’ll be a real Casanova with this” :P. I’d be very surprised if G2 became as popular, as it doesn’t really evoke any traditional masculine impressions, and some people (for example perhaps the “chicks” those young smart guys are always thinking about *:) will definitely find it too feminine to be worn by men.

I like it a lot, but certainly try before you buy a bucketful!

(Oh and this was my first post here, wohoo)
    And what an excellent post it is too! WELCOME!

The "bublegummy" bit is VERY fleeting, mainly JUST at first spray to my nose.

I love its simplicity!

YUM TO THE STERS!

And yes, I have finished my first 120ml bottle and Im 1/3 through a 40ml now too :

The body oil is GREAT!

Col

Just keep an eye on the swap board. Someone gets tired of every scent eventually.
    Renato

As a Canadian I sorta jumped the queue and got a bottle at Heathrow last week ... really like it ... reminds me of both Classique and Le Male in some odd way...