Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default I got a job selling fragrances at Lord & Taylor!

Well I was looking for a fun weekend job so I went to Lord & Taylor during my lunch break here in Fairfax, VA. They hired me on the spot and I start next month. They need seasonal help for men's fragrances so I'll only work a month and the pay sucks $7.50/hr with no commision since I'm only seasonal. Well I'm just doing this for fun and I do get an employee discount of 25% off everything except only 15% off fragrances for some reason. They said their profit margin on fragrances is less thats why. Well this should be an interesting experience!
    Anyone here who worked perfume retail have any advice or stories?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I got a job selling fragrances at Lord & Taylo

Congratulations on the hire! *No experience doing that for me but hopefully, you'll have fun guiding your customers.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Since you work in men's, you'll probably get these two questions constantly:

What will the ladies dig?

What is new/best selling?

The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Informer

Those are the questions I'm going to ask when I drop by.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Awesome!! Are you working at Tysons? I <3 Tysons. Grew up in Richmond, went up to McLean all the time to shop. Now I live in Detroit and the fragrance shopping is poop compared to NoVA.

What lines of perfume does Lord & Taylor carry? I don't think I've been in one in ages.

Congratulations! *8-) I guess the best part of that will be discussing favorite fragrances with customers.
    Updated Favorites:

Spicebomb * Viktor & Rolf

CK One Shock * Calvin Klein

Fields Of Rubus * Kerosene

Dark Kiss * Bath & Body Works

Midnight Pomegranate * Bath & Body Works

Post Thanks / Like

Man, you're going to have some great stories to share on BaseNotes! ;D

In you're own small way, you'll be able to educate and enlighten a small segmant of the population.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    They need seasonal help for men's fragrances so I'll only work a month and the pay sucks $7.50/hr with no commision since I'm only seasonal. *Well I'm just doing this for fun and I do get an employee discount of 25% off everything except only 15% off fragrances for some reason.
    Wage plus employee discount usually equals disaster for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to hear your job stories!

I, too, am starting to look out for fragrance sales seasonal help since I'm without a job right now. The only problem is that the pickings are rather slim around here, but I hope I get a spot.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Congrats on getting the job

So any samples?

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    So any samples? *
    ditto was about to ask same
    rite on az good luck to you

Explorator Dumpsterorum
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, AZsmells...

...but your tax advisor is going to freak out when your W-2 form reflects "bottles and testers" earned instead of "wages." :P

Let me know when you start so I can come down and ask about Aqua Di Gio, I'm only an hour away

And I'll be stopping in for a bottle of "Mister Seven" from YSL.

Also I hope to pick up a bottle of Police Uomo. I was told from a pretty reliable source that Sting et al were getting back together for a reunion tour, and they decided the best way to get some attention was with a new cologne. LOL

Also, What about that fragrance, Presence by Matt LeBlanc. Or Montblanc, whatever.

Man, good luck resisting the temptation to really F-ck with some of the people you'll be dealing with.

Still, push the Kouros!
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madgradrx
    Let me know when you start so I can come down and ask about Aqua Di Gio, I'm only an hour away

;D ;D

Wow great! It is going to be fun to hear some stories for sure...

The lady in my favorite perfume shop here told me I should switch from whatever job I have now to start working selling perfume instead. I think she got very happy when a customer actually showed some knowledge and interest more than to the new testers on the counter. It was fun though and her comment made my day and actually planted a seed in my head...

Post Thanks / Like

I once sold fragrances and later managed a men's fragrance counter for Filene's when I was young.

So, if you can do this, you can do anything!

Good luck and have fun!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

I bet what you are about to live is a dream of many basenoters: to have unlimited access to a large number of fragances, to be able to spread your knowledge amongst people... and to get paid for it!
    However, I can see a dark side of it: customers ignoring your wise advice, being forced to push something you hate, and worst of all you might end up suffering a severe olfactory overdose
    Anyway, good luck, will be looking forward to read your reports.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately Lord & Taylor carries just the standard brand name stuff, I don't even remember seeing Kouros there. Maybe I should apply at Neiman Marcus or something fancy. I'll be working at Fair Oaks mall.
    Also my wife told me not to steal any samples or testers >
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Informer

;D ;D

BRAVO!!!

See, I couldn't do your new job: half a day in, and I'd be making headlines: "Fragrance-Counter Freakout As New Bay Employee Attempts to 'Slap The Stupid Out of Customers' Heads'"

"They kept asking me either for 'Mister 7' and 'that one that smells like that thing, you know, with the thing. Not like flowers, but, like, the other one.' said, the red-faced, soon-to-be ex-employee, as he was led away in restraints. "There's only so much a sensible person can take..." According to witnesses, the self-confessed "scent aficionado" was seen trying to leap over a display case, howling curses in French after a customer asked for bottle of "'Silage' by Ralph Armani or Laurent Moogler."

"...or Laurent Moogler"

lol!

It reminds me of one time I pissed off an SA so bad I swear she wanted to kill me. This was a few years back, but I was interested in a specific fragrance and the SA kept trying to steer me over to the Claiborne Sport. What annoyed me was that I already had Curve and I already had Polo Sport, and I felt that Claiborne Sport was a bad mishmash of the two. I had told her several times politely that I wasn't interested in Claiborne Sport, but she wouldn't listen.

Finally I grabbed a tester of Curve and a tester of Polo Sport and sprayed them on the same spot on a piece of paper and said "NOW...Do you SEE what I'm TALKING ABOUT!?!" Yes, I felt bad for showing her up, but she was not being helpful at all.

"See, " I continued, "if I wanted to smell like Claiborne Sport, I could just wear Curve and Polo Sport at the same time."

"Well," she huffed, "WHY would you want to do THAT?"

and she just glared at me.

I can empathise with people like SAs who are trying to earn a living. I'm a waiter and bartender, and yet, I don't really know sh!t about wines. Yes, I drink wines, and I prefer reds, but when people start asking me all this stuff about a particular wine, I can only fake it for so long before I tell them, "look, I'm not an expert on wines. These are all good wines, but as far as me being able to tell you what's "drier" or the notes and all, I don't know. I'll be happy to get someone who CAN answer a question for you". But I don't try to bullsh!t people. I've really tried to educate myself on wines,but either I just like a wine or I don't. And If I don't like a wine, it has to be pretty bad to begin with. I just like a wine that gets the job done.

So, AZ, have you started to think about what products you'll be carrying that you'll want to push?
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Post Thanks / Like

The thing thats sucks about this new job I'll be starting is that I'll get no commission which is moronic. Maybe I should direct them to scentiments.com
    Also most of what they carry is designer stuff I don't like. So basically I'll have no pressure or incentive to sell anything but since its the holiday season I'm sure we'll sell out of Aqua di Gio.

Speaking of SA's I went to Sephora the other day and this girl asked me if I tried Givenchy, she pronouncd it like Give-en-chee ;D