Code of Conduct

Default Azzaro CHROME :   What am I missing ?

I've sampled this fragrance 4 times now.
    Twice on a tester strip and twice applied to my wrist at a fragrance counter.

To me it smells like a fresh version of (thin air with touch of citrus and musk sprinkled in) ,but maybe thats what makes it attractive and rates great reviews by some of the basenoters.

I cant help but feeling like this scent is a Non Issue when it comes to adding to my wardrobe.

When you wear something like 4711 you kinda know where the scent is heading .
    It starts off refreshing and basically hovers there with no evolution until it disappears all too soon.

Chrome does something similar except it hovers longer but never really developes. At least not on me.
    So I'm asking... Is this it ? ... Or have I already answered my own question. ?
    Thank you, smellitnow

Default Re: Azzaro CHROME :   What am I missing ?

Hi Smellitnow,

I agree with your assessment of Chrome. It just seems linear and uninspiring to me.

Default Re: Azzaro CHROME : * What am I missing ?

You aren't missing anything, it's a boring scent.

It's not one of those scents that will make you piss your pants. It's rather simple and that's what I like about it. I wear it on days where I don't feel like wearing any scent at all but would feel "naked" without spraying something on. Gendarme and CK One fit under this category for me too.

Well, I'm still a newb to scents, and when I bought a bottle of this about say...1.5 months ago, I was really, really happy with it. I loved it, in fact. And I was getting lots of compliments while wearing it...mostly from the opposite sex, which of course bolstered my opinion of it...haha. I mean, Himilaya and SMW weren't giving me those reactions. Anyway, after a couple weeks I found myself using the scent less and less. And lately, when I do decide to wear it, I find it doesn't appeal to me quite like it used to. I still like it, I just don't love it anymore. The honeymoon phase is over I guess. But even if SMW doesn't give me the same reaction from people, I don't care, I love it and I'll wear it instead...or something else...though I'll still give CHrome some occasional play..

Chrome, Gendarme, Claiborne Sport and Mugler Cologne all have a similar feel to me: fresh, clean, pleasant and inoffensive. Even though they don't smell alike, they fulfill a similar function. Chrome is probably my least worn of that group, but I like it for what it is.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Anytime I go to Macy's, a fragrance rep always makes a B-Line for me with a bottle of Chrome ... and tries to tell me how great it is and how much women like it and that I NEED it.

This crap must be DYING on the shelves ...

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    Anytime I go to Macy's, a fragrance rep always makes a B-Line for me with a bottle of Chrome ... and tries to tell me how great it is and how much women like it and that I NEED it.

This crap must be DYING on the shelves ...
    Ha! In Filene's, for the past 3 visits to completely different store locations, they always grabbed Onyx. It's incredibly annoying, especially when I tell them I smelled it and don't really think much of it, they continue.

"Did you try it on your skin?"

"Are you sure you don't like it?"

Yes I tried on skin, yes I don't like.

How much extra do Filene's reps get when they sell Onyx? :P

To me the main value of Chrome and its likes is their use for the hot days. I live in the tropics and I regularly use Chrome and the others in its class. Had I to do it over again, I would have saved a lot of money and bought only Halston Unbound--it's as good as any and costs less--in fact, I hardly ever reach for Chome, Aquaman, 360 anymore. Unbound is the one to buy if you simply want that type of scent. They are great for excess heat and humidity maybe because there's really nothing there.

I also had a similar experience with Chrome. It's the first colonge that I bought, and at the time, I thought it was a scent that had several layers to it, which I liked. Then, after trying so many other scents, I just find Chrome to be nothing special anymore. Sure, it's a pretty good scent, but it's a bit too sweet in my opinion. I'm not sure if I'd buy it again. Probably not, there are so many better colognes out there.

I had mini of Chrome, which I gave away. I found it not merely mediocre, but awful. There's a screechingly synthetic quality to this scent that I found unbearable.

I bought Chrome back in 2000. I had just finished my bottle of L'Eau d'Issey, and I went shopping for a replacement. (This was in my pre-BN, sane, one bottle days.) I went to Sephora and sampled a million different scents, including Rykiel Homme, Hanae Mori, Le Male, Kenzo PH, Lolita Lempicka, and on and on. Eventually I settled on Chrome. Why? Because as so many posters have mentioned already, it is light, clean, inoffensive, versatile, and pleasant. I recieved many compliments when it was my signature scent. Approximately 80 bottles later, I'm mulling over revisiting Chrome, even though I already own AdG, Echo, Higher, 212 Men, etc. Why? Because it's light, clean, inoffensive, versatile, and pleasant.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

I got this recently. *

It also fills a void in my wardrobe. I love aquatics and don't really have any besides Unbound, Erolfa, Aqua Quorum, Cool Water, Latitude Longitude and Horizon. Ok, I really don't have that much of a hole... .

Chrome isn't going to knock my (or anyones) socks off, but that was entirely the point. I don't feel entirely comfortably wearing the aforesaid* aquatics to work, and they don't have much in the way of duration, with the exception of Erolfa... Unbound lasts longer than AdG though.

Chrome lingers nicely to my skin, it smells just slightly synthetic (which I don't mind), is refreshing to me, and I won't have trouble offending people, and has a decent duration. And most of all, I just like the scent.

Oddly, I was going to get Platinum Egoiste (which I think competes with Chrome in my mind though at a totally different price point), but decided on Chrome.

Thanks for reminding me of the fragrance, I'll have to wear it some more!

K

*Sorry for the lawyer language.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I find chrome enjoyable but severly lacking in provoking the imagination. It's so linear that it gets boring in seconds, and it's also quite common where I live

It's definitely inoffensive and light, and those are the two qualities that made me purchase it a while back in the first place. I think you'll like it

What you are missing is a powerhouse and very distinctive citrus scent.

Unlike most others, it is instantly recognisable when you come across someone wearing it. And you'll recognise it again should you come across that person 8 hours later.

On a hot day, there are only a few scents that can come close to matching Chrome's freshness endurance.

In my recent long vacation to a very hot northern Italy, I took 8 small bottles of scents which I new to be long lasting. By the end of the trip, I'd acquired another 10. But I also learned that if the day was going to be extra hot or I was going to be doing a lot of walking, I could only rely Chrome to still be keeping me fresh at the end of the day. I used up nearly half of my 30ml bottle (my Laguna had the endurance of Chrome, but went a bit stale by the end of the day).
    Renato

Full bottle to swap here.

I don't like the "metallic" quality, but, given the name, I should have been adequately warned. Blind purchase.

Chrome was designed to be a linear fragrance it does not have the top middle and bottom notes construction.

I believe this is the appeal of this scent for it smell the same on very man.

Thanks to all who replied to my question.

I've decided that the thing that soured me on Chrome was its completely linear nature and its inoffensive synthetic freshness. I figured out why I considered this fragrance a (non issue). Thats what its designed to be!

Just another attempt to mass market the "politically correct" . This time in the form of a mans cologne.

I mean damnit folks, if the true objective for a mans fragrances is to be inoffensive and acceptable to all then hell we should all wear more crap like this so we can quietly blend into the herd without raising any eyebrows as a result of our individuality .

The whole reasoning behind creating a fragrance like this irritates the hell out of me. Its pointless in the scheme of all things "Fragrant"

It makes me want to wear Yatagan for a month straight , MORNING ,NOON AND NIGHT AND DARE ANYBODY TO SAY A DAMN WORRD ABOUT IT.

Quote Originally Posted by smellitnow

*I've decided that the thing that *soured me on Chrome was its completely linear nature and its inoffensive synthetic freshness. I figured out why I considered this fragrance a (non issue). Thats what its designed to be!

Just another attempt to mass market the "politically correct" . * This time in the form of a mans cologne.

I mean damnit folks, *if the true objective for a mans fragrances is to be inoffensive and acceptable to all then hell we should all wear more crap like this so we can quietly blend into the herd without raising any eyebrows as a result of our individuality .

The whole reasoning behind creating a fragrance like this irritates the hell out of me. Its pointless in the scheme of all things "Fragrant"

It makes me want to wear Yatagan for a month straight , MORNING ,NOON AND NIGHT AND DARE ANYBODY TO SAY A DAMN WORRD ABOUT IT. *
    Well said!!! This is what sets us apart from the masses, our individuality. We abhor the mass-man mentality.

Ditto what Renato said.

* response moved to new thread by K *
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by smellitnow

*I've decided that the thing that *soured me on Chrome was its completely linear nature and its inoffensive synthetic freshness. I figured out why I considered this fragrance a (non issue). Thats what its designed to be!

Just another attempt to mass market the "politically correct" . * This time in the form of a mans cologne.

I mean damnit folks, *if the true objective for a mans fragrances is to be inoffensive and acceptable to all then hell we should all wear more crap like this so we can quietly blend into the herd without raising any eyebrows as a result of our individuality .

It makes me want to wear Yatagan for a month straight , MORNING ,NOON AND NIGHT AND DARE ANYBODY TO SAY A DAMN WORRD ABOUT IT. *
    I don't disagree with you one bit on your thoughts about wearing inoffensive and acceptable scents.

But I totally disagree with you in applying them to Chrome. Chrome can be an olfactive assault - it is one powerful, potent scent. And that synthetic metallic freshness is what I love about it - no other scent has anything close to it.

Think about it. What does actual metal smell like? Answer - Nothing - unless you are cutting it up. Yet somehow, I "smell metal" out of a bottle of scent. It amazes me (and my nose).
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=smellitnow link=1129919220/15#17 date=1130163235]Thanks to all who replied to my question.

I don't disagree with you one bit on your thoughts about wearing inoffensive and acceptable scents.

But I totally disagree with you in applying them to Chrome. Chrome can be an olfactive assault - it is one powerful, potent scent. And that synthetic metallic freshness is what I love about it - no other scent has anything close to it.

Think about it. What does actual metal smell like? Answer - Nothing - unless you are cutting it up. Yet somehow, I "smell metal" out of a bottle of scent. It amazes me (and my nose).
    Renato[/quote]

Renato-
    I find that it is strong when I first put it on, but dies down nicely to a scent with a touch of siliage. At least on me. I definitely like the duration... a rarity with the much maligned aquatics.
    K

I find the scent to pretty pretty linear as well, just like the three-generation family in the ad. *Oh how much more interesting it would have been if the youngest were a mongloid (my guess is they didn't think people would catch on to the chromosome reference). *Alas, it would have been more interesting than the scent. *
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte de K
    Renato-
    I find that it is strong when I first put it on, but dies down nicely to a scent with a touch of siliage. At least on me. I definitely like the duration... a rarity with the much maligned aquatics.
    *K
    Interesting the differing perceptions. I think of it more as a citrus scent than as an aquatic.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=Vicomte de K link=1129919220/15#22 date=1130210368]
    Renato-
    *K
    Interesting the differing perceptions. I think of it more as a citrus scent than as an aquatic.
    Renato[/quote]

I can't smell the citrus in a lot of scents anymore, though I was able to a couple of years ago. I can still smell verbena at least. If I told my fiancee this she would go crazy and tell me I had to see a doctor.

Eau Sauvage is now not a citrus scent to me (though it used to be), but is an herbal fragrance.

Its not like I smoke or do anything particularly damaging to my olfactory system. Maybe its just old age.
    K

[quote author=Renato link=1129919220/15#24 date=1130221289][quote author=Vicomte de K link=1129919220/15#22 date=1130210368]
    Renato-
    K
    Renato[/quote]

I can't smell the citrus in a lot of scents anymore, though I was able to a couple of years ago. I can still smell verbena at least. If I told my fiancee this she would go crazy and tell me I had to see a doctor.

Eau Sauvage is now not a citrus scent to me (though it used to be), but is an herbal fragrance.

Its not like I smoke or do anything particularly damaging to my olfactory system. Maybe its just old age.
    K[/quote]
    ES doesn't smell as lemony as it used to, to me now. Maybe it's because I'm also getting the other notes so the lemon note isn't as apparent. It used to be all lemony when I first tried it. Now it's more herbal. You should try not using any fragrances for 3 to 4 days. I remember when I started out, I wasn't able to smell all the details of a fragrance if I have been using frags for more than 2 days. Not that I can now...I still can't... but I can't stand not wearing a frag for more than 2 days!

Edit: Chrome doesn't smell as good as it used to now... Maybe it's because I took a liking to orientals now. Chrome smells sharp and spicy to me now. Used to smell a lot like cK One.

[quote author=Renato link=1129919220/15#24 date=1130221289][quote author=Vicomte de K link=1129919220/15#22 date=1130210368]
    Renato-
    *K
    Renato[/quote]

K[/quote]

Ahhhh - that's the problem! The solution is obvious to me. I smoke heaps and delight in the consequent sharper sensing of citruses. Perhaps a small investment in nicotine gum may be in order?
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    [quote author=Vicomte de K link=1129919220/15#25 date=1130245678][quote author=Renato link=1129919220/15#24 date=1130221289][quote author=Vicomte de K link=1129919220/15#22 date=1130210368]
    Renato-
    *K
    Renato[/quote]

K[/quote]
    ES doesn't smell as lemony as it used to, to me now. Maybe it's because I'm also getting the other notes so the lemon note isn't as apparent. It used to be all lemony when I first tried it. Now it's more herbal. You should try not using any fragrances for 3 to 4 days. I remember when I started out, I wasn't able to smell all the details of a fragrance if I have been using frags for more than 2 days. Not that I can now...I still can't... but I can't stand not wearing a frag for more than 2 days!

Edit: Chrome doesn't smell as good as it used to now... Maybe it's because I took a liking to orientals now. Chrome smells sharp and spicy to me now. Used to smell a lot like cK One.
    [/quote]
    That's curious. I've always liked Chrome a lot, but never thought much of CK One.
    Renato