Code of Conduct

Default What were your biggest "WOW" factor scents?

What were the ones that when you first sampled, made you reel back and say WOW ... that smells fantastic ! It's funny how that opinion lasts sometimes, and other times it fades away. I can honestly say recently, I haven't had the WOW factor from any of my purchases. I like the new Dior Homme a lot, but not a WOW scent. Same with Brit. Some I actually didn't like at all at first, but they grew on me and made it in to my top 10 ... like Magnetism and BdP.

Anyway, a few of mine were:

M7: This was probably my biggest WOW. I remember almost throwing this one out when I got a sample vial from an Internet order. So I had about a square inch of skin left after sampling about 10 others and spritzed it on. Nothing I had ever sampled smelled this good to my nose. And although I don't feel I have many occasions to wear it, it's stood the test of time and will always be in my wardrobe. Thankfully, they came out with an M7 Fresh and I've stocked up on it as much as I can afford.

Voleur de Roses: Another WOW but this one lasted all of 5 minutes. I actually snapped my head back and stared ... . I wasn't expecting anything this nice from a rose fragrance. But after the topnotes faded away and the patchoui kicked in, it was such an incredible letdown for me. From hero to zero in 5 minutes.

Dzing!: This WOW was probably mostly due to the scary posts about it ahead of time. I was expecting everything from peanuts to cow shit after reading the descriptions. I remember holding on to my bedpost when I sampled it in case I fell on my ass. Much to my surprise, it was one of the most pleasant, well made fragrances I ever experienced. I remains among my perennial top ten.

Arabie/Rahat Loukoum: I've grouped these together because I got the same WOW out of both of these Lutens offerings ... It's just one was fruit (Arabie) and the other was candy (Rahat Loukoum). I've always hated liking these two because I still think they smell incredible ... but I wouldn't DARE walk out of the house wearing either. Being a former "Al Bundy" type of jock, I'm sure if I walked into a Super Bowl party wearing one of these ... I would likely take the most terrific beating of my life. Still, big WOWs to both.

So those are my biggest "WOW"s. How bout' yours?

Default Re: What were your biggest "WOW" factor scents?

Santal Noble - MPG
    Ambre Precieux - MPG
    Eau des Iles - MPG
    Arabie - Serge Lutens
    Habanita - Molinard
    Eau des Merveilles - Hermes
    Antaeus - Chanel
    Sacrebleu - PdN

Aaron

There were so many....

But the biggest wow for me was the first time I sampled Tabac Blond.

Followed by Piper Nigrum.

Griff
    Griff

Patricia de Nicolai's New York still gives me the "Wow!" reaction if I break out my bottle after a few weeks without smelling it (which happens during hot spells).

MPG's Santal Noble. This one Wowed me after first giving me a "What the hell happened here?" reaction. The first few minutes after application smell pretty confusing and not in a nice way. After that, 'though, ... Wow!

Three that come to mind are SL Daim Blond,Cedre and New Haarlem by Bond 9.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Tabac Blond
    Cuir Mauresque
    Apres l'Ondee
    Santal Noble
    Soir d'Orient
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

HM, Havana and Opium PH EDP made me say WOW! when i first smelled them.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Hi guys,

WOW try Gaultier 2! Great fragrance and lasts too!

Dave

Cuiron, Gucci PH and Dzing! all made me go WOW.

Creed - Bois de Portugal
    Amouage - Dia
    Havana

Blog Entries

D&G PH
    SMW
    OV
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

MAGNETISM

Musc Ravageur - I sampled the oil of this, then had the fortune of receiving a sample spray from France. I had to have it, so I called Barney's in NYC and ordered my bottle. I'm glad I did since it has climbed in price even further from when I bought it in January of this year. This one is intoxicating to me and the one scent I didn't hesitate in purchasing.

Santal Noble - I tried this at Luscious Cargo (when the brick and mortar was in the Atlanta area) and immediately became intrigued. I had a couple sample vials that kept me satisfied for a long time before I finally had to make a purchase. I bought it in conjunction with Piper Nigrum since I had an overhwhelming desire for some winter scents. I believe it was September or October of 2004 and I was aching for some cool weather classics. Both serve me well and with the impending cool weather coming to Atlanta this weekend (highs in the mid 70s, lows in the mid 50s), I'll be cracking them open on a more regular basis.

Muscs Koublaï Khän - bought a sample, then bought a larger decant as soon as I could find one. If it weren't so damn difficult to purchase and astronomically expensive, I'd have a full sized bottle instead of my measly 1 oz. decant. I hate to use it for fear of never finding more. White hot and instantly drew me to spend hard earned cash. An amazing scent.

I almost never like a fragrance the first time I try it. One exception that made me say "WOW!" from the first sniff is

Yang

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

There's alot of them in the past. New Haarlem is probably the most recent example....just haven't smelled anything quite like it before...a very elegant representation of coffee.

Others from the past would include:
    Creed MI - some hate it, but this is the one that got me started on this whole journey
    Gucci Rush - sticking with scents that polarize, I really enjoyed the heavy cedar in this one.
    L'Artisan Eau de Navigateur - deep, complex, mysterious
    SL Arabie - a bit like a spice cake
    MPG Santal Noble - the best sandalwood I've tried
    M7 - I remember thinking "what the heck is that note". Turns out to be Oud, or some synthetic version of it
    Etro Messe de Minuit - "people actually wear this??"

Cheers,
    Jim

Clive Christian"s #1, first for the scent, but here comes the clincher, the price tag, is the real WOW!! factor.
    At a mere $600. for 1.7, eau de parfum.

Quote Originally Posted by musclegod007
    At a mere $600. for 1.7, eau de parfum.
    Can you say OVER PRICED RIP OFF!!!!!!!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

These all made me think WOW! on the first try.

LV Piper Nigrum
    CdG Sequoia
    Creed GIT
    L'Artisan Voleur de Roses
    CdG Avignon
    Creed SMW

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    Three that come to mind are SL Daim Blond,Cedre and New Haarlem by Bond 9.

Jeff
    I second New Haarlem

Too many over the years to mention, but some recent ones include:

Trumper's Sandalwood

Tuscany by Aramis

CdG's Jaisalmer

Egoiste Platinum

L'Artisan's L'Eau de Navagateur (it's a nuisance liking this one because I always have to double-check the spelling whenever I mention it on Basenotes!)

Many....but these jump to my mind right away.....

Tuscany
    Eucris
    Purple Label
    Antaeus
    Michael Kors

Each surprised me greatly upon first sniff. Instantly excellent.

And another group...

Tabac Blond
    Poivre
    Acqua Di Cuba

Each surprised me greatly upon first sniff. Instantly made me wonder what the "F" you all were thinking when you recommended it. Instantly feminine and unwearable.

Any Lutens.

GUERLAIN HERITAGE [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

In the order in which they wowed me:

Mania
    Dia
    Cuiron
    New Haarlem

3 WOW's:

- Méchant Loup : I was looking for something new which I couldn't describe because I had not the faintest idea what I wanted. This was exactly it!

- Opôné : I had went trough a lot of roses before this one and my face must have expressed 'WOW' when I smelled Opône.

- Versus Uomo : Everytime I use it ....

Eau de Cartier (not Concentree) surprised me. It isn't a groundbreaking scent but I just didn't like the house of Cartier so I was expecting just another mediocre frag. To my surprise it was actually a good fresh scent. Too bad it doesn't last. The concentree version lasts longer but smells very different from the original IMO.

Musc Ravageur, Piper Nigrum, Santal Noble and New York comes to mind as positive wow factor scents.

Vetiver Extraordinnaire gave me negative reaction at first. WOW, that's hideous!

Nowadays it's in my top 5

Most recent WOW!: Very Irresistible for men. I didn't expect such daring topnotes.

Other WOW!'s:

- CdG Dry Clean: Just like I imagined it.

- A*Men: There were actually two WOW's linked to this scent. The first one was: "WOW!, this stuff smells so extremely disgusting!" and the second was (after three months of smelling the juice again and again): "WOW! This is great!"

- Lorenzo Villoresi Musk & Musc Ravageur: "WOW, so THIS is musk?" Until then, I had no idea what musk smells like. Although there are muskier scents out there, like Kiehl's Musk.

Zino Davidoff
    D&G pH
    A*Men
    M7
    Gucci pH
    Creed OV
    Thallium (Parfums Cyrus)
    David and Becca forever!!

Czech & Speake NO.88
    Guerlain Heritage
    FDT by Miller Harris
    LV Musk
    Trumper's Sandalwood
    Creed SMW & Tabarome
    Sud Est by Romeo Gigli - Everytime I wear it, I wanna thank the good lord above for introducing me to my lover almost 10 years ago!
    Let your nose be your pilot

Dzing!
    Basala
    Daim Blond
    A*men
    Fraiche Passiflore - MPG

M7
    Kouros
    Envy
    Egoiste
    Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree

The ones, that first come to mind are

Piper Nigrum
    DSH's Cafe Noir
    "T" Takashimaya
    Rose Poivree
    Yerbamate

Oops, I pressed the post button too quickly, would like to add

Nuit au Desert
    Biche dans L'Absinthe

The only one I can honestly say is Desire.I couldnt stop smelling it.It is still one of my favorites.Other than that, Balenciaga which no one seems to like and I am no longer crazy about.

Hmm.. I don't think I ever contributed to this topic, so here it goes:

JPG Le Male
    Givenchy Pi
    YSL M7
    Creed SMW
    Creed MI
    Angel Men
    Hanae Mori HM
    Escada Magnetism

Call me a philistine, but:

Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio - my first proper scent - it'd been all deodorants and Calvin Kleins before that. I frequented a bodybuilding message board where there was a good number of them "What drives chicks wild" threads, and AdG was, by popular consensus, the bestest scent out there. I remember taking a whiff from a first spray and thinking, "Shit this is good".

Since then:
    Jicky - the "Wow" was, really, my balking at the civet note that attacks you from the get-go (this was the PdT). Then a second Wow, at the drydown. Really incredible scent.

and

Chanel N°19 - I wasn't even intending on buying anything that day, but one whiff of this and "I need to save up for those new shoes" became "I WILL GO TO WORK BAREFOOT!"

The latest is Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme.

In the past, Canoe, Caron Pour Un Homme and Givenchy Pi.

For me personally, Bond Wall Street. I'm wearing it today, and it totally rocks.

As for wows from others, Creed GIT and M7. And Bvlgari PH.

been many wow scents ,without a doubt one of my no1s would have to be rocabar

Nicole Miller for men How much of a "WOW" factor was this for me? I am currently 35. I calculated approximately how much of this I could wear in a year and bought enough to last me the rest of my life. You people did this to me ;D But it never fails to get a "wow" from any woman that gets a whiff.

JHL/Cinnabar
    Santal Noble
    SMW
    Kouros (in a bad way)

~Mad

Himalaya
    BdP
    SILVER cologne
    A*MEN
    Borneo 1834
    New Haarlem
    Imperial Jade Emperor
    Brit
    John Varvatos
    Sequoia
    No.88
    DK Fuel
    Patou ph
    Anvers

So far
    Chergui
    Premier Figuier Extrême...these two cents have literally created a whole new scent world for me. WOW is right!

Sanzio

Any scent with strong animal notes as well as dissonant ones! ;D

Chanel Pour Monsieur was the first one.

It looks like spicy or musky scents are most likely to induce the "Wow" factor, and I'm no exception. The scents that have immediately "Wow'd" me are:

SL Arabie - Wow! My first truly spicy fragrance experience.
    LV Piper Nigrum - Wow! Another deeply spicy scent, and featuring black pepper.
    CdG EDP - Wow! Unexpected, knock me out spicy! Spicier than either of the two legendary spicy frags above.
    MPG Santal Noble - Wow! What an unexpected cooling mint note amidst the other great notes!
    CdG Sequoia - Wow! How did they get that mulched up redwood tree in that tiny bottle!
    Cabochard Gres - Wow! Immediate nausea!
    Phileas (Nina Ricci) - Wow! What an utterly unique accord, featuring celery like no other.
    MPG Route du Vetiver - Wow! Brutally sharp vetiver!
    SL Musc Koublai Khan - Wow! Completely fascinating.
    Zino Davidoff - Wow! A perfect scent for me!

Jeff

Gaultier2, VdR, AA, Avignon, Declaration (at first!)

I'm sure there are others I can't remember!

Col

[edit]Mitsouko, Heritage, Red Giorgio Beverly Hills(womens)[timestamp=1129940747][/edit]/me

Bulgari Black really surprised me. I'd read the reviews about how it smelled like rubber. It sounded very repulsive from the description but I really really like(d) this one.

Kouros also made me go "WOW!". I usually test 4-6 fragrances at a time and this one was the first where I could hardly smell any of the others afterwards. Kouros just ran them over like a bulldozer of fragrances. Not really a positive thing though as I can't stand the smell of it. ;D

This thread has come to a natural end. So three days after the most recent post - why reopen it? All I could possibly vote for myself have been mentioned frequently already, or at least once (Mitsouko). But maybe I have overlooked someone mentioning old hats like

Le Bandit
    Knize Ten
    Grey Flannel
    I may be excused for the last one. As a northern European I look at GF from a different angle perhaps. I know it is less appreciated in the US.

One more recent Cologne that's absolutely W O W :

F. Malle / Roudnitska, Noir Epices
    I too fell for Musk Ravageur first. Having enjoyed both for almost a year now (an Xmas 04 DIY) I find Noir Epices just as fine and perhaps more versatile. MR is too sensual to share with persons I have not chosen to meet. I hope to repeat this experience with a similar Cologne (in its top note):

Divine, L'Homme Sage.
    It also has this wow factor for me, but in a very subtle manner. A quiet dialog starting between this cologne and myself and going and coming back during the course of a day.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

The first time I smelled SL Chergui I'm sure my jaw dropped as I said "OH MY GOD". Chergui is heaven....amazing stuff. Close runners up would be Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur and SL Fumerie Turque.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Kenzo Pour Homme. It was pretty unusual for me.

That's a hard question. A lot of them gave me that feeling but my most recent WOW! was Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal.
    Maybe it was because it was the first fragrance by AG I ever tried, but it's pure heaven to me.
    The freshness, yet deepness of this fragrance is absolutely amazing. It's so much more than citrus, it's a miracle.
    I bought it last week and caught myself not wearing anything but this ;D.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

I recently experienced another wow scent, Avignon

Why So Serious?

Santal Noble
    Tam Dao
    Odeur 53(most CdGs)
    John Varvatos
    Creed Himalaya
    Dzing! (most L'Artisans)
    DK Men Fuel, Unleaded
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Andrea Maack Coven
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I have to ditto Guerlain Heritage. Also, Burberry London, Miracle, NEW WEST, Grey Flannel, and (don't laugh) Stetson Black (don't knock it 'til you've tried it).
    Current favorites:

· Versace l'Homme
    · Masque Russian Tea
    · CK One Shock for Him
    · Black Vines by Kerosene

Acqua di Gio
    Z-14
    Heritage
    Egoiste
    Armani Eau PH
    Tsar
    Brut Classic
    L'Autre (as in wow this is nasty)
    Worth PH
    Jacomo de Jacomo (as in wow this is different)
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Le Dandy
    Knize Ten
    John Varvatos
    Voleur de Roses

Agatha Brown Jade & Conquest
    Czech & Speake No88
    Clive Christian 1872
    Mazzolari -Mazzolari-Vetiver-Patchouly

Angélique Encens
    Millésime Impérial
    Vintage Tabarome
    LV Musk
    Heliotrope
    Dzing!
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon