Code of Conduct

Default TO EVERYONE ON HERE....APPLICATION

Hi there!

Just wanted to know how fellow basnoters apply their fragrance, i normally do spray on both wrists, neck and above my head so the fragrance 'falls' on me.

Is this is best way or do others do differently?

Default Re: TO EVERYONE ON HERE....APPLICATION

I usually spray my chest, neck, and then one wrist. I wear a watch so I don't spray that arm.

there's some thoughts on this in the FAQ.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

thanks

have looked on the FAQ but the links don't work...they just send me back to the front page of the boards.

any help please?

I remember reading that in order to be able to enjoy your frag. you shouldn't wear it too close to your face because the receptor cells in your nose fill up faster and then you won't be able to smell it. This is also why you shouldn't wear the same fragrance every day because of the receptor problem. Wearing the same thing everyday doesn't give the scent receptors a break and pretty soon you won't be able to smell your favorite edt. and you will start applying more of it. The recommendation was to wear it on wrists so that as you gesture or move you will catch whiffs of scent. Also, you should spray it under your shirt on your upper stomach or lower chest so that as you walk or bend you will be able to smell it.

Never on the outside of your shirt because when you hug someone, they will end up wearing what you are wearing!!

Note about spaying over your hair. Hair really holds scent unless you have lots of products in your hair but it doesn't allow the frag. to develop...like spaying a paper card. It's probably not a good idea because it's too close to the nose (see reason one above).

Hope this helps!

Kelley

There are no hard and fast rules to method of application. There are many ways to apply depending on the frag and the impression you want to create. A good example is that the pros will tell you to spray on the pulse points especially the wrists because the heat will "pump" out the scent more. Come on now, will 1 or 2 degrees make that much of a difference? The frag must be really weak to need that kind of help. Also, experience will tell you that if you spray on the wrist, that area tends to get rubbed on the most as you walk it rubs on your pants, as you type, it rubs on the table, keyboard etc. I spray at the back of my hand because of this. If you wanna be subtle and enjoy the scent yourself or create a personal space of scent, then spray less... wherever. If you wanna attract people into your personal space, spray a little more depending on the scent - the scent must be right! Also, there is the walkthrough technique for stronger scents that you wanna make subtle and the 20 spritz layering technique for making subtle scents last more. So,so,so many ways and their vary your scent to certain degrees, which is fun. I love exploring scents and seeing what they can do and how they are designed.

Gentlemen, where are you applying the stuff? *

I think 'areas of application' may be the way to approach this problem.

If one is only applying the fragrances to wrists, neck, and other exposed areas, then there's the reason for your edt's short life span.

Apply your fragrance an hour before you're going out the door and apply fragrance to chest, legs, and other areas that will be covered.

With A*Men, as an example, just a little bit with last a long time. But remember when you apply a frag to an area that will not be covered up by clothing then the frag will surely only last a few hours-if that long.

In addition, an inexpensive, unscented body moisturizer will add longevity without really changing the notes of the fragrance you intend on wearing. After showering, apply moisturizer accordingly, then apply fragrance. Voila!

*These are suggestions only. Any attempt to read them as Noble winning theories are very muched discouraged.

Have a great weekend!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

this is pretty much what i do:

min - 1 spray to the neck
    happy medium - 1 spray to neck, 1 waltkthrough
    max - 2 sprays to neck and 1 spray to wrist
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    this is pretty much what i do:

min - 1 spray to the neck
    happy medium - 1 spray to neck, 1 waltkthrough
    max - 2 sprays to neck and 1 spray to wrist

That's almost what I do, expect the happy medium level is one spray neck, one spray wrists.

I guess I'm the weird one here because I don't apply it to my skin at all: as much as I love fragrances, I have allergy trouble, so I simply apply my SOTD to my wrist band (a sporty-looking cloth band) so I can remove it if I start sneezing or something. This is good because it's away from my face (as someone said earlier) and being at work, my constantly moving hands keep it near my nose regularly. *:P Also, I have heard scents last longer on cloth.
    Current favorites:

CH Men by Carolina Herrera
    Bogart Pour Homme
    Black Vines by Kerosene
    Piment Brulant by L’Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Also, experience will tell you that if you spray on the wrist, that area tends to get rubbed on the most as you walk it rubs on your pants, as you type, it rubs on the table, keyboard etc.
    I was just wondering about this myself. Being new at this, I thought I was overlooking something. But the inside of wrists gets the fragrance all over everything.

During the day when I'm at work or school, my technique is: one spray to the throat, one spray to the back of the neck, and one spray to the BACK of my wrist.

During the night when I go to a party or to a night club, it's a totally different story: Two sprays to the chest and then I immediately put on shirt. Then two sprays to the throat and two additional sprays to the back of my neck. Finally one spray to the back of my wrist. I'm well known at the clubs for my sillage. *

BTW, the spray to the back of my wrist only serves as an indicator. If I can still smell it on my wrist, then I know that my cologne is still going strong. If it's gone, then I take the liberty of reapplying.

Any opinions on spray versus roll-on. I've been thinking of getting some roll-on bottles so I can control the amount better, and maybe target better.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_B.
    Any opinions on spray versus roll-on. *I've been thinking of getting some roll-on bottles so I can control the amount better, and maybe target better.
    Roll-ons are good for very potent scents that may be too overpowering. They provide more control over the application. However, I personally feel that they don't allow the scent to "open up" as opposed to spraying it on.

When I was young, I would apply to the fromt of the nect. As my sinuitis/allergies became moderate, I applied to the back of the neck. As the symptoms became acute, I no longer apply to the neck region at all. I find that if you suffer from chronic sinus problems, I found the following to work:

Spray to the lower chest/stomach region. I usually apply to the stomach area unless it is a light fragrance.

If I want to layer, spray to the wrists

if you want duration, spray to the stomach area on the shirt.

The amount of sprays depends on the fragrance of course. Can you believe that my SMW is stronger than my GIT? With these two, I only have to apply 1-2 sprays to the stomach area on my shirt to be noticed all day. My Neroli Sauvage, I put on my stumach and wrists and I layer from two different bottles that I have since they each have their own unique quality.