Code of Conduct

Default suggestion for good young, daily scent

Hi everyone, before you flame me i want to let you know that i've been searching the boards for hours today and the past few days trying to find my next new scent. I've taken a lot of your comments into consideration and the basenotes on Gucci Envy into consideration and actually bought it. I found it to be a bit too formal for me and more suited for evenings. My girlfriend thinks it's refreshing, but being 21 and in college, i'd feel akward going to class everyday wearing such a formal scent, kind of like wearing a suit to go buy groceries sort of thing.

I dress up a little more than your average 21 year old and am not like the college kids you see running around in Abercrombie jeans, wearing a rugby shirt and a trucker hat. I do wear premium denim daily. So i'm looking for a sophisticated scent that will fit a young guy like me but one i won't be underdressed for, if that makes any sense. Right now i own Pleasures for Men which i've been wearing for a while and i've found it to be a type of scent i could wear everyday but after reading everything on here i guess it's a very mediocre cologne. I'll have Gucci Envy for special nights, but need a good one for the days. Any suggestions? Thanks for taking your time if you got through that whole thing haha
    -Chris

Default Re: suggestion for good young, daily scent

Gendarme
    Anvers
    GEIR

Hi crisis,

Creed: Green Irish Tweed. Get it for a discount on eBay.
    Comme des Garcons: Kyoto or Sequoia. See Luckyscent.com
    L'Artisan: Passage d"Enfer or Mechant Loup. Available at many online retailers.

I would suggest ordering some testers before shelling out for a whole bottle.

Good Luck!

Bvlgari PH
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    Bvlgari PH
    I second that!

Creed Millesime Imperial and Silver Mountain Water
    212 Carolina Herrera
    Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme

I'd highly recommend getting a boat load of samples to try. But, if I had to suggest a couple, they would be Azzaro Visit (esp. if you live in a colder climate) or Live Jazz (warmer climate).

Good luck,

#

I have to suggest one of my favorites, Caron's L'Anarchiste.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Welcome to Basenotes! I'm a 21-yr. old college student as well. * If you like Pleasures for men, then forget what we think. Just wear it. But since you're looking for a new scent, I could make a suggestion. I take it that you're looking for a fresh, versatile scent that you can wear in both casual and formal occassions. I'll go out on a limb and suggest Green Irish Tweed. It starts off very fresh like Pleasures but develops into a sexy, semi-sweet base. I usually wear it with jeans and a t-shirt on casual days. I also wore it to my highschool prom so that gives you an idea of how versatile it is. It definitely draws compliments from girls, which is a total bonus as well. Do some research on it and read reviews. Another thing, don't buy this in a store because it costs an arm and a leg to pay retail. Go to www.scentiments.com and order a tester bottle for only $49.99. That's what I did. It may take you a few wearings to understand the development of this scent. I personally wasn't impressed initially, but later on I finally "got" it.

I'm sure you'll like this as much or perhaps even more than Pleasures. If not, I'll eat my words: I've never done this before, but since I'm recommending a blind buy (which I never do) I have to put my money where my mouth is. If you aren't satisfied with this scent, I'll buy it off you for what you paid and even pay for all the shipping costs incurred. How's that for a guarantee? *[smiley=beer.gif]

Body Kouros, MontBlanc Individuel and Lacoste Pour Homme are very nice for a young guy.

By the way, I also own Gucci Envy and I agree that it is more of a formal scent and I only wear it for nights out exclusively. It's my #1 for romantic dates, candlelit dinners, walks on the beach under the pale moon light...you get the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    By the way, I also own Gucci Envy and I agree that it is more of a formal scent and I only wear it for nights out exclusively. It's my #1 for romantic dates, candlelit dinners, walks on the beach under the pale moon light...you get the picture. *
    Good thing about being lovers of the Oriental scent type is that we have a whole closet full of scents that would suit those romantic settings!!! ;D I'm glad you've found your pick as the ultimate for romance. I'm still torn such that i create really specific settings for each Oriental in my arsenal. Laguna for a romantic walk along the beach, Jaipur for a romantic candle light dinner date, Perry M for an evening out at the movies etc. If anything, it justifies me having so many Oriental scents! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    [quote author=teflondog link=1130027639/0#10 date=1130036784]By the way, I also own Gucci Envy and I agree that it is more of a formal scent and I only wear it for nights out exclusively. It's my #1 for romantic dates, candlelit dinners, walks on the beach under the pale moon light...you get the picture. *
    Good thing about being lovers of the Oriental scent type is that we have a whole closet full of scents that would suit those romantic settings!!! *;D I'm glad you've found your pick as the ultimate for romance. I'm still torn such that i create really specific settings for each Oriental in my arsenal. Laguna for a romantic walk along the beach, Jaipur for a romantic candle light dinner date, Perry M for an evening out at the movies etc. If anything, it justifies me having so many Oriental scents! ;D [/quote]

That's definitely the truth. Sometimes I feel that Envy is too gentleman-like. So occassionally I'll reach for D&G By Man when it's time for "physical romance". *

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    That's definitely the truth. Sometimes I feel that Envy is too gentleman-like. So occassionally I'll reach for D&G By Man when it's time for "physical romance". *
    Great choice! It's easy to go wrong for that kind of "occasion". Somehow, if you use Amen for that, which many seem to do where i come from, it becomes just too physical, like blatantly saying "I want sex. Gimme". By has the right amount of aggression yet the citrus tempers it a tad, but makes all the difference from appearing to be a club-wielding caveman or a Don Juan Demarco! ;D

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'm gonna be spending a lot more time reading reviews and discussions on all those scents you guys have recommended. I looked up Green Irish Tweed and i've read tons of great things about the Creed fragrances, but i saw some comments that described the scent as similar to cool water, i'm the type that wants to stick out from the crowd, the right way haha. I'm sure it's more refined but i want something slightly more distinctive. I'll be making my way to the mall to test out some of these you guys have recommended. Thanks for the tip about not buying from the store teflon, I was lucky to find that out a few days ago and picked up the Envy for men for twenty bucks.
    Any more suggestions and descriptions would be great. Thanks again

I've worn Green Irish Tweed to work and without fail women ask "What is that you are wearing?" And I'm literally surrounded by close to 300 women each day and not once has one of them said "Oh, I just love CoolWater." One lady even commented "Get away from me, I'm married!!" Now that's a compliment!!! If I were you I would atleast buy a decant off of one of the fine basenoters here---it won't disappoint you. That said, I would also second the recommendation of 212 men by Carolina Herrera--very good and different. Nothing is better than hitting the fragrance counters yourself--though--and finding what you absolutely like and want to spend your cash on.

I've been reading more and more reviews on green irish tweed and i'm getting more and more curious about it. I checked out that website supplied by teflon but they're all sold out ( . Cheapest i'm finding on e-bay is about 70 dollars. Hopefully they stock back up soon, i'll be trying that one next.

Quote Originally Posted by cookesoul
    "Get away from me, I'm married!!" Now that's a compliment!!!
    lol, amen... ;D

Quote Originally Posted by cookesoul
    Nothing is better than hitting the fragrance counters yourself--though--and finding what you absolutely like and want to spend your cash on.
    Well said. When you're at the store, I suggest you test out Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme. It's another lady killer. I'm not sure how popular it is in your area but not many people wear it where I'm from. Everybody here wears nothing but aquatic/fresh scents so D&G PH is unique from my standpoint. It starts off smelling like a lemon citrus and then develops into a rich tobacco note that is very sexy. It's versatile too. You can wear it casually during the day with a pair of jeans and then reapply later on for a night of clubbing. It projects well and its lasting power is superb. Oh, and another thing...make sure you test this one out on your skin because it's a scent that NEEDS skin for it to properly develop. One spray to the back of your hand should suffice.

Chanel Allure Homme Sport
    YSL Live Jazz