Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How do you pronounce "Thierry Mugler"?

Okay, pardon my ignorance, but how do you pronounce his name? I've been saying, "Theory Myoogler". Am I close? Or is it "Terry Moogler"? [smiley=huh.gif]
    David and Becca forever!!

Default Re: How do you pronounce "Thierry Mugler"?

The SA at Nordy's said....

T-airy Moog-lair

Overcome By Fumes

I'd go with T-air'y mew'glay.

http://www.scansoft.com/speechworks/realspeak/demo/

Try it out here...but be warned, it isn't the clearest sounding thing I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22
    The SA at Nordy's said....

T-airy Moog-lair
    I've heard this same pronunciation from more than one French-speaking person.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei
    [quote author=rjrober22 link=1128361680/0#1 date=1128361774]The SA at Nordy's said....

T-airy Moog-lair
    I've heard this same pronunciation from more than one French-speaking person.[/quote]

Me too. I believe the "er" is pronounced as a soft r, and not silent, because it is a proper name and not the infinitive of an "er" verb. So it would be Tea-ah-(r)-eee Moog-lah(r).

Try this

http://www.scansoft.com/speechworks/realspeak/demo/

She says

"Tee-er-ee Moog-lay"

Tee- airy Moo - glare (without too much emphasis on the "glare" part) is better than moo- glay. As is mentioned above, pronouncing a final "-er" in French as roughly "air" is uncommon, but possible, especially with certain family names. I would distrust the scansoft approximation in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyw7592
    Tee- airy Moo - glare (without too much emphasis on the "glare" part) is better than moo- glay. As is mentioned above, pronouncing a final "-er" in French as roughly "air" is uncommon, but possible, especially with certain family names. I would distrust the scansoft approximation in this case.
    Well the woman in the above pronouncer clearly says "moog-lay"

If I remember correctly, they used to say the same on the Mugler site too.

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    [quote author=sandyw7592 link=1128361680/0#7 date=1128370492]Tee- airy Moo - glare (without too much emphasis on the "glare" part) is better than moo- glay. As is mentioned above, pronouncing a final "-er" in French as roughly "air" is uncommon, but possible, especially with certain family names. I would distrust the scansoft approximation in this case.

Hmmm[/quote]

I highly doubt that it's pronounced Tea-ehr-ay Moog-lay, because the "m" and "n" sounds are often followed by a "r" sound in French. "démontrer" is pronounced day-mohn-t(r)ay. (sounds in parentheses are rolled and throated, not pronounced). montrer (mon-tray), naitre (nay-treh), etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Ren
    [quote author=CoL link=1128361680/0#8 date=1128376729][quote author=sandyw7592 link=1128361680/0#7 date=1128370492]Tee- airy Moo - glare (without too much emphasis on the "glare" part) is better than moo- glay. As is mentioned above, pronouncing a final "-er" in French as roughly "air" is uncommon, but possible, especially with certain family names. I would distrust the scansoft approximation in this case.

Hmmm[/quote]

I highly doubt that it's pronounced Tea-ehr-ay Moog-lay, because the "m" and "n" sounds are often followed by a "r" sound in French. "démontrer" is pronounced day-mohn-t(r)ay. (sounds in parentheses are rolled and throated, not pronounced). montrer (mon-tray), naitre (nay-treh), etc....[/quote]
    Tell that to Virginie!

LOL!

[smiley=grin.gif]

[quote author=Ren link=1128361680/0#9 date=1128379086][quote author=CoL link=1128361680/0#8 date=1128376729][quote author=sandyw7592 link=1128361680/0#7 date=1128370492]Tee- airy Moo - glare (without too much emphasis on the "glare" part) is better than moo- glay. As is mentioned above, pronouncing a final "-er" in French as roughly "air" is uncommon, but possible, especially with certain family names. I would distrust the scansoft approximation in this case.

Hmmm[/quote]

I highly doubt that it's pronounced Tea-ehr-ay Moog-lay, because the "m" and "n" sounds are often followed by a "r" sound in French. "démontrer" is pronounced day-mohn-t(r)ay. (sounds in parentheses are rolled and throated, not pronounced). montrer (mon-tray), naitre (nay-treh), etc....[/quote]
    Tell that to Virginie!

LOL!

[smiley=grin.gif][/quote]

huh?? sorry, im not following..

http://fashion.about.com/cs/designers/l/blpronounce.htm - the lady on this site pronounces it "moog lay".

I'm afraid this may be a Ralph LOR-ren vs. Ralph Lour-EN.

At least we agreed on "Thierry"....

Quote Originally Posted by Ren
    [quote author=CoL link=1128361680/0#10 date=1128379142][quote author=Ren link=1128361680/0#9 date=1128379086][quote author=CoL link=1128361680/0#8 date=1128376729][quote author=sandyw7592 link=1128361680/0#7 date=1128370492]Tee- airy Moo - glare (without too much emphasis on the "glare" part) is better than moo- glay. As is mentioned above, pronouncing a final "-er" in French as roughly "air" is uncommon, but possible, especially with certain family names. I would distrust the scansoft approximation in this case.

Hmmm[/quote]

Tell that to Virginie!

LOL!

huh?? sorry, im not following..

http://fashion.about.com/cs/designers/l/blpronounce.htm - the lady on this site pronounces it "moog lay".

I'm afraid this may be a Ralph LOR-ren vs. Ralph Lour-EN.

At least we agreed on "Thierry"....[/quote]
    Yup, thats what I said.

Virginine is the name of the woman who does the voice for the Realspeak pronouncer.

[smiley=wink.gif]

Well... I always thought it was "mugler" as that is how everyone I've ever heard say it but I asked my mother who knows about things like this and she said she heard it both.... but never MugLAY in this country.

Also, I worked once for the man and he introduced himself three times to me (never remembering we had met) and it was always Ralph LORen.

[quote author=Ren link=1128361680/0#9 date=1128379086][quote author=CoL link=1128361680/0#8 date=1128376729][quote author=sandyw7592 link=1128361680/0#7 date=1128370492]Tee- airy Moo - glare (without too much emphasis on the "glare" part) is better than moo- glay. As is mentioned above, pronouncing a final "-er" in French as roughly "air" is uncommon, but possible, especially with certain family names. I would distrust the scansoft approximation in this case.

Hmmm[/quote]

Tell that to Virginie!

LOL!

Well, she pronounces Serge Lutens the wrong way. It's hard with names, they often don't follow the rules. Like the British Cholmondely. How on earth can that be pronounced Chumley?

I reckon you do pronounce the R in Mugler, as in 'savoir-faire': rolling it. I can see it's not followed by a vowel, ergo it should be elided like in 'aller' or 'tuer', but Mugler is a surname (and I don't even think it's of French descent) thus it can very well be irregular (see 'Rochas', where you DO pronounce the 's' at the end).

My suggestion would be MEW-GLEH(R).

Let's face it, even if it's not the right one it's the best sounding one.
    [smiley=cool.gif]

Like the British Cholmondely. How on earth can that be pronounced Chumley?
    Heh. Because, at least at one time, the British upper classes swallowed syllables whole, as if they were nasty pills? I think it was considered vulgar to expend too much effort on enunciation. Class marker, don'tcha know? (How else would one get "Wooster" and "Gloster" out of Worcester and Gloucester?)

It should sound somethinh like Tea-eh(r)-ee, M(u)gleay the (u) should sound like you are trying to say -e- having your mouth shaped as in saying oh, and the eh(r) should sound something like y as in yes only harder.

Quote Originally Posted by atalbest
    It should sound somethinh like Tea-eh(r)-ee, M(u)gleay the (u) should sound like you are trying to say -e- having your mouth shaped as in saying oh, and the eh(r) should sound something like y as in yes only harder.
    Thats it!

The R at the end is pronounced as an R. Those advising "-glare" are closest. Mugler isn't a verb--if it were it would have they "-ay" ending--it is a proper noun, a name, and an exception to the -er rule followed by verbs.

Automatic pronounciation programs on the web are likely to make the -er/verb mistake also.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    The R at the end is pronounced as an R. *Those advising "-glare" are closest. *Mugler isn't a verb--if it were it would have they "-ay" ending--it is a proper noun, a name, and an exception to the -er rule followed by verbs.

Automatic pronounciation programs on the web are likely to make the -er/verb mistake also.
    --Chris
    A-ha! Ta-da! Told ya! LOL 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    The R at the end is pronounced as an R. *Those advising "-glare" are closest. *Mugler isn't a verb--if it were it would have they "-ay" ending--it is a proper noun, a name, and an exception to the -er rule followed by verbs.

--Chris
    Aha. So Gaultier is a verb then. I never knew.

I remember Elsa Klensch pronouncing his name "Terry Moo-gler"

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

A very attractive female told me it was pronounced like Terry Muler. The G is silent.

No, no, no the g is not silent. The r at the end is silent.

Here we go again! I can't believe how popular this thread is! ;D ;D ;D
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Tee-eh-ree Mew-glare

Roll the 'rs' and that's it. 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Tee-eh-ree *Mew-glare

Roll the 'rs' and that's it. 8-)
    Well 2 real live french people I have heard have prounced it Tee-ar-ee Mooglay. NO R!

So there you go!

[tjɛ.ʁi myg.le])

The above is from the wiki page (for what it's worth). It is in the International Phonetic Alphabet. A transliteration of this might be:

tyeh-ree (where the 'r' is uvular [back of the throat]) myg-lay (where the first 'y' is like saying an "ee" inside your mouth, and an "oo" on your lips.

Hope this helps.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Let's see, according to various advise received above, the R is silent and the G is silent so it's obviously ...Thiey Mule...
    "There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

oh well, only 5-6 years too late

I know it's a long time ago, but this came up in my google search. I'm sure there are still plenty of people who mutilate this name.

I'm a classical singer and am good at pronouncing most of the major languages, but this name doesn't look French to me on paper. It doesn't look like any particular language to me, but it looks more German if anything, IMHO. Therefore, the name is confusing for me. Plus, all the SA's I've hear just anglocize it, as in "Terry Moogler."

The r is not silent, unless making an r "uvular" is considered "silent."
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by CoL View Post
    Well 2 real live french people I have heard have prounced it Tee-ar-ee Mooglay. NO R!

So there you go!
    Sounds about right.

another thread that try the impossible? the sounds can´t be written.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I thought it was Tary Meeew-Gluur
    I'm not your toy.

OH! When I said the r is silent, I was talking about the r's in Thierry. Sorry.
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Awesome! So the wiki IPA transcription is correct. Problem solved.
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    another thread that try the impossible? the sounds can´t be written.
    Actually, with IPA (see my first post in this thread), sounds CAN be written, so long as all the parties know what sounds the international symbols stand for. In this case, Thanks to Adonis' video, the IPA that was in my earlier post is correct. Thanks.
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

DeepSilence

wow! I think i have not pronounce correct any french fragrance yet!

yeah and it is super hard to get french words sounding natural and casual in your own accent. You don't want to be one of those people who pauses, adopts a phoney french accent and then says it in a pretentious, world manner. Likewise you don't want to be the american who bawls for teri moo-glay!

This is the official commercial for Angel by Thierry Mugler. They pronounce it the same as I have heard in his fashion show videos everytime...
    T-airy Moo-glair. (the letter R is pronounced). The speech is at the end of the video but watching Naomi Watts for a minute ain't bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz1Ll...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
    Actually, with IPA (see my first post in this thread), sounds CAN be written, so long as all the parties know what sounds the international symbols stand for. In this case, Thanks to Adonis' video, the IPA that was in my earlier post is correct. Thanks.
    ok, I respect your opinion , but the international symbols is a conventionalism that not everybody understand, anyway if you have to learn a French sound , what do you prefer ? listen it or see it written? that´s what I mean.
    how do you can teach to imitate the chant of a bird? reading signs?
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Quote Originally Posted by pawful View Post
    yeah and it is super hard to get french words sounding natural and casual in your own accent. You don't want to be one of those people who pauses, adopts a phoney french accent and then says it in a pretentious, world manner. Likewise you don't want to be the american who bawls for teri moo-glay!
    Paw, I UNDERSTAND YOUR POINT COMPLETELY!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Once you've seen the bottom half of that picture you will never sleep again.
    I'm not your toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch31 View Post
    This is the official commercial for Angel by Thierry Mugler. They pronounce it the same as I have heard in his fashion show videos everytime...
    T-airy Moo-glair. (the letter R is pronounced). The speech is at the end of the video but watching Naomi Watts for a minute ain't bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz1Ll...eature=related
    Fletch, thank you! As far as I'm concerned, you have just given us the gospel. It is an ad that the designer must have been involved with. Therefore, the wiki IPA I posted earlier is slightly wrong. The right way, as far as I'm concerned is :

Tyairy Muglair (where the 'u' is produced with an "ee" sound on the inside of the mouth, and an "oo" on the lips.) THANKS!

And for those who know IPA, it would probably be [tjɛ.ʁi myg.lɛʁ]. However, like pawful says, I'm not going to go into my Dillard's and try to overdo the French accent. People would look at me funny. LOL
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Here it is from the lips of Thierry Mugler's olfactive director Pierre Aulas:

Last edited by Primrose; 26th May 2011 at 04:55 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Here it is from the lips of Thierry Mugler's olfactice director Pierre Aulas:

More definitive evidence. Thanks, Prim! Like I said before, it's not that I'm gonna walk into Dillards with a navy/white striped shirt and a beret, but the name looks so strange to me, that I really had no idea how to pronounce it. Thanks!

Plus the fact, sometimes, as in English, people don't pronounce their names the way they "should." For example, the composer, Poulenc, according to French pronunciation, should be poo-lahnk (where the last syllable contains a nasal vowel.) However, he is commonly (rightly or wrongly) referred to as poo-laink (where the last syllable contains a nasal vowel.) Therefore, even if I knew how Thierry Mugler was pronounced, that doesn't mean that's how HE pronounces it.
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Plus the fact, sometimes, as in English, people don't pronounce their names the way they "should." For example, the composer, Poulenc, according to French pronunciation, should be poo-lahnk (where the last syllable contains a nasal vowel.) However, he is commonly (rightly or wrongly) referred to as poo-laink (where the last syllable contains a nasal vowel.) Therefore, even if I knew how Thierry Mugler was pronounced, that doesn't mean that's how HE pronounces it.
    I think it's because TM is Alsatian and the name Mugler is more Germanic in origin than it is French.

Good god that muscle photo is disturbing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jwpianoboe View Post
    I think it's because TM is Alsatian and the name Mugler is more Germanic in origin than it is French.
    THANK YOU, JW! That explains everything for me. In an earlier post (post #32), I commented that Mugler looks more German on paper to me, which was part of my confusion.
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Good god that muscle photo is disturbing!!!
    yes it does!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

tee air EE moo GLAY

"tee air" should be pronounced like it's one syllable.

the r sound uses the back of the tongue. (Try to mimic a cat hissing. You'll sort of get the idea)

"moo" not "mew. There is a difference.

don't roll the GLAY over the to Y. Stop yourself right before you get to the Y.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    I'd go with T-air'y mew'glay.
    I've heard this from multiple French speakers, which is opposite to the other person who has heard multiple French speakers... I guess there is not much consensus about this. Prepare to stay confused and choose your own way.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoy View Post
    tee air EE moo GLAY

"tee air" should be pronounced like it's one syllable.

the r sound uses the back of the tongue. (Try to mimic a cat hissing. You'll sort of get the idea)

"moo" not "mew. There is a difference.

don't roll the GLAY over the to Y. Stop yourself right before you get to the Y.
    The videos in posts #42 and #42 establish how it is pronounced. I would agree with you on most of your post, except that the videos clearly say mu-GLAIR (with the uvular "hissing" r that you describe), not mu-GLAY. Actually, I would also say that the first syllable of the last name is BETWEEN "moo" and "mew", but that is a small point.

Like I've said before, I'm not arguing what is the "correct" French way. One has to recognize how HE says his name, and these videos I mentioned surely have it right. Anyway, that's IMHO. Thanks, Bok.
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

While we're at it:
    (Roll your R's with the back of your tongue)

Chanel = sha NELL
    Dior = dee OR (say it like it's one syllable)
    Yves Saint Laurent = EAVE SA* (like SAY without the Y) low RAW
    Rive Gauche = REEV GOESH
    Hermes = air MESS
    Terre d'Hermes = tare dare MESS
    Equipage = AY-KEEP-AJ (soft J)
    Serge Lutens = SAIRJ (soft J) loo-TE* (like TEN but without the N)
    Chergui = share GWEE
    Guerlain = gare LE* (like LEN but without the N)
    L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme = law STAWNT da* (like DAY but without the Y) gare LE* (like LEN but without the N) ex TREM
    Lalique = la LEEK
    Encre Noire = ong RA* (like RAY but without the Y) NWAR
    Bois = BWA
    Millesime Imperiale = MEE lay ZEEM om pa* (like PAY but without the Y) ree AL
    Last edited by Bokchoy; 26th May 2011 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 'lionheart
    mu-GLAIR (with the uvular "hissing" r that you describe), not mu-GLAY.
    This. Please stop with the "moo-GLAY", YouTube reviewers, it makes my sinuses hurt. (Although I'd rather hear it than "mugg-lurr". Yikes.)

More definitive evidence. Thanks, Prim! Like I said before, it's not that I'm gonna walk into Dillards with a navy/white striped shirt and a beret, but the name looks so strange to me, that I really had no idea how to pronounce it. Thanks!

LOL! Lionheart, you should only dress this way if you are buying Gaultier's Le Male!

This is one of the helpful threads on French companies and scents:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/227...ciation-Thread
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

The videos in posts #42 and #42 establish how it is pronounced. I would agree with you on most of your post, except that the videos clearly say mu-GLAIR (with the uvular "hissing" r that you describe), not mu-GLAY. Actually, I would also say that the first syllable of the last name is BETWEEN "moo" and "mew", but that is a small point.

Like I've said before, I'm not arguing what is the "correct" French way. One has to recognize how HE says his name, and these videos I mentioned surely have it right. Anyway, that's IMHO. Thanks, Bok.
    I have a two friends (they're brothers) with the same last name, granted they're both from Quebec and not France, but I doubt that makes a difference. moo GLAY is how they say it. But everyone calls them the Mewglers.