Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How do you pronounce "Thierry Mugler"?

Okay, pardon my ignorance, but how do you pronounce his name? I've been saying, "Theory Myoogler". Am I close? Or is it "Terry Moogler"? [smiley=huh.gif]
    Dave here.

Default Re: How do you pronounce "Thierry Mugler"?

The SA at Nordy's said....

T-airy Moog-lair

Dependent

I'd go with T-air'y mew'glay.
    Overcome by Fumes

http://www.scansoft.com/speechworks/realspeak/demo/

Try it out here...but be warned, it isn't the clearest sounding thing I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22
    The SA at Nordy's said....

T-airy Moog-lair
    I've heard this same pronunciation from more than one French-speaking person.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei
    [quote author=rjrober22 link=1128361680/0#1 date=1128361774]The SA at Nordy's said....

T-airy Moog-lair
    I've heard this same pronunciation from more than one French-speaking person.[/quote]

Me too. I believe the "er" is pronounced as a soft r, and not silent, because it is a proper name and not the infinitive of an "er" verb. So it would be Tea-ah-(r)-eee Moog-lah(r).

Blog Entries

Try this

http://www.scansoft.com/speechworks/realspeak/demo/

She says

"Tee-er-ee Moog-lay"

Tee- airy Moo - glare (without too much emphasis on the "glare" part) is better than moo- glay. As is mentioned above, pronouncing a final "-er" in French as roughly "air" is uncommon, but possible, especially with certain family names. I would distrust the scansoft approximation in this case.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sandyw7592
    Tee- airy Moo - glare (without too much emphasis on the "glare" part) is better than moo- glay. As is mentioned above, pronouncing a final "-er" in French as roughly "air" is uncommon, but possible, especially with certain family names. I would distrust the scansoft approximation in this case.
    Well the woman in the above pronouncer clearly says "moog-lay"

If I remember correctly, they used to say the same on the Mugler site too.

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    [quote author=sandyw7592 link=1128361680/0#7 date=1128370492]Tee- airy Moo - glare (without too much emphasis on the "glare" part) is better than moo- glay. As is mentioned above, pronouncing a final "-er" in French as roughly "air" is uncommon, but possible, especially with certain family names. I would distrust the scansoft approximation in this case.

Hmmm[/quote]

I highly doubt that it's pronounced Tea-ehr-ay Moog-lay, because the "m" and "n" sounds are often followed by a "r" sound in French. "démontrer" is pronounced day-mohn-t(r)ay. (sounds in parentheses are rolled and throated, not pronounced). montrer (mon-tray), naitre (nay-treh), etc....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ren
    [quote author=CoL link=1128361680/0#8 date=1128376729][quote author=sandyw7592 link=1128361680/0#7 date=1128370492]Tee- airy Moo - glare (without too much emphasis on the "glare" part) is better than moo- glay. As is mentioned above, pronouncing a final "-er" in French as roughly "air" is uncommon, but possible, especially with certain family names. I would distrust the scansoft approximation in this case.

Hmmm[/quote]

I highly doubt that it's pronounced Tea-ehr-ay Moog-lay, because the "m" and "n" sounds are often followed by a "r" sound in French. "démontrer" is pronounced day-mohn-t(r)ay. (sounds in parentheses are rolled and throated, not pronounced). montrer (mon-tray), naitre (nay-treh), etc....[/quote]
    Tell that to Virginie!

LOL!

[smiley=grin.gif]

[quote author=Ren link=1128361680/0#9 date=1128379086][quote author=CoL link=1128361680/0#8 date=1128376729][quote author=sandyw7592 link=1128361680/0#7 date=1128370492]Tee- airy Moo - glare (without too much emphasis on the "glare" part) is better than moo- glay. As is mentioned above, pronouncing a final "-er" in French as roughly "air" is uncommon, but possible, especially with certain family names. I would distrust the scansoft approximation in this case.

Hmmm[/quote]

I highly doubt that it's pronounced Tea-ehr-ay Moog-lay, because the "m" and "n" sounds are often followed by a "r" sound in French. "démontrer" is pronounced day-mohn-t(r)ay. (sounds in parentheses are rolled and throated, not pronounced). montrer (mon-tray), naitre (nay-treh), etc....[/quote]
    Tell that to Virginie!

LOL!

[smiley=grin.gif][/quote]

huh?? sorry, im not following..

http://fashion.about.com/cs/designers/l/blpronounce.htm - the lady on this site pronounces it "moog lay".

I'm afraid this may be a Ralph LOR-ren vs. Ralph Lour-EN.

At least we agreed on "Thierry"....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ren
    [quote author=CoL link=1128361680/0#10 date=1128379142][quote author=Ren link=1128361680/0#9 date=1128379086][quote author=CoL link=1128361680/0#8 date=1128376729][quote author=sandyw7592 link=1128361680/0#7 date=1128370492]Tee- airy Moo - glare (without too much emphasis on the "glare" part) is better than moo- glay. As is mentioned above, pronouncing a final "-er" in French as roughly "air" is uncommon, but possible, especially with certain family names. I would distrust the scansoft approximation in this case.

Hmmm[/quote]

Tell that to Virginie!

LOL!

huh?? sorry, im not following..

http://fashion.about.com/cs/designers/l/blpronounce.htm - the lady on this site pronounces it "moog lay".

I'm afraid this may be a Ralph LOR-ren vs. Ralph Lour-EN.

At least we agreed on "Thierry"....[/quote]
    Yup, thats what I said.

Virginine is the name of the woman who does the voice for the Realspeak pronouncer.

[smiley=wink.gif]

Well... I always thought it was "mugler" as that is how everyone I've ever heard say it but I asked my mother who knows about things like this and she said she heard it both.... but never MugLAY in this country.

Also, I worked once for the man and he introduced himself three times to me (never remembering we had met) and it was always Ralph LORen.

[quote author=Ren link=1128361680/0#9 date=1128379086][quote author=CoL link=1128361680/0#8 date=1128376729][quote author=sandyw7592 link=1128361680/0#7 date=1128370492]Tee- airy Moo - glare (without too much emphasis on the "glare" part) is better than moo- glay. As is mentioned above, pronouncing a final "-er" in French as roughly "air" is uncommon, but possible, especially with certain family names. I would distrust the scansoft approximation in this case.

Hmmm[/quote]

Tell that to Virginie!

LOL!

Well, she pronounces Serge Lutens the wrong way. It's hard with names, they often don't follow the rules. Like the British Cholmondely. How on earth can that be pronounced Chumley?

I reckon you do pronounce the R in Mugler, as in 'savoir-faire': rolling it. I can see it's not followed by a vowel, ergo it should be elided like in 'aller' or 'tuer', but Mugler is a surname (and I don't even think it's of French descent) thus it can very well be irregular (see 'Rochas', where you DO pronounce the 's' at the end).

My suggestion would be MEW-GLEH(R).

Let's face it, even if it's not the right one it's the best sounding one.
    [smiley=cool.gif]

Like the British Cholmondely. How on earth can that be pronounced Chumley?
    Heh. Because, at least at one time, the British upper classes swallowed syllables whole, as if they were nasty pills? I think it was considered vulgar to expend too much effort on enunciation. Class marker, don'tcha know? (How else would one get "Wooster" and "Gloster" out of Worcester and Gloucester?)

It should sound somethinh like Tea-eh(r)-ee, M(u)gleay the (u) should sound like you are trying to say -e- having your mouth shaped as in saying oh, and the eh(r) should sound something like y as in yes only harder.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atalbest
    It should sound somethinh like Tea-eh(r)-ee, M(u)gleay the (u) should sound like you are trying to say -e- having your mouth shaped as in saying oh, and the eh(r) should sound something like y as in yes only harder.
    Thats it!

The R at the end is pronounced as an R. Those advising "-glare" are closest. Mugler isn't a verb--if it were it would have they "-ay" ending--it is a proper noun, a name, and an exception to the -er rule followed by verbs.

Automatic pronounciation programs on the web are likely to make the -er/verb mistake also.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    The R at the end is pronounced as an R. *Those advising "-glare" are closest. *Mugler isn't a verb--if it were it would have they "-ay" ending--it is a proper noun, a name, and an exception to the -er rule followed by verbs.

Automatic pronounciation programs on the web are likely to make the -er/verb mistake also.
    --Chris
    A-ha! Ta-da! Told ya! LOL 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    The R at the end is pronounced as an R. *Those advising "-glare" are closest. *Mugler isn't a verb--if it were it would have they "-ay" ending--it is a proper noun, a name, and an exception to the -er rule followed by verbs.

--Chris
    Aha. So Gaultier is a verb then. I never knew.

I remember Elsa Klensch pronouncing his name "Terry Moo-gler"

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

A very attractive female told me it was pronounced like Terry Muler. The G is silent.

No, no, no the g is not silent. The r at the end is silent.

Here we go again! I can't believe how popular this thread is! ;D ;D ;D
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Tee-eh-ree Mew-glare

Roll the 'rs' and that's it. 8-)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Tee-eh-ree *Mew-glare

Roll the 'rs' and that's it. 8-)
    Well 2 real live french people I have heard have prounced it Tee-ar-ee Mooglay. NO R!

So there you go!

[tjɛ.ʁi myg.le])

The above is from the wiki page (for what it's worth). It is in the International Phonetic Alphabet. A transliteration of this might be:

tyeh-ree (where the 'r' is uvular [back of the throat]) myg-lay (where the first 'y' is like saying an "ee" inside your mouth, and an "oo" on your lips.

Hope this helps.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Let's see, according to various advise received above, the R is silent and the G is silent so it's obviously ...Thiey Mule...
    "There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."