Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default SAME NAME GAME is over...

Today we have completed a 10 question routine on the ladies' side of the board and Ladylonestar is a winner with the three correct answers. And we are starting a new game on the gentlemen's side. I thought it would be fun!

No rules or regulations as per the number of guesses. The winner will get a small prize at the end.

As some may know, English is not my first language, so please bear with me on that. Sometimes my hands are faster than my mind, therefore please forgive my frequent text modifications.

Here goes....

Question # 1.

If only the house that will celebrate their 100 year anniversary this time next year thought of using more civet from the elusive leopard found only on this island, the same name scent would have a better staying power!

Good luck!

Default Re: SAME NAME GAME Question # 1

Eau de Cartier
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Same year, but another jewelry maker. Good going! 8-)

I think you are referring to the elusive panthereae panthera adersi aka the Zanzibar leopard.

so my guess Van Cleef & Arpels Zanzibar.

but...civet from a leopard??

AZTEC

That's the answer. 8-) Thank you!

Zanzibar, where Farrokh Bulsara of Queen (known to the world under a different name) was born. The world's leading clove producer. And Zanzibar leopard which some scientists consider extinct, belongs to civet cats family, although everybody knows that civet used in parfumery does not come from leopards! ;D It was a trick, and I am glad it did not side-track you! ;D

Check under Wildlife here:
    http://zanzibar.net/zanzibar/what_is_zanzibar

A 2001 Van Cleef & Arpel's production too. No civet in it at all, but if they used some...

For those more interested in civet: :
    http://www.pharmj.com/Editorial/2003...mas/civet.html

Please stay tuned for Question # 2. If it goes this fast, we will do the whole thing in one week!

Default Re: SAME NAME GAME Question # 2

Thank you for your interest again!

Question # 2.

These days I would not be surprised if Rome is betray'd for a few drops of this scent, not for a few drops of salt!

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf
    ...Rome is betray'd...

what are you exactly meaning?
    I don't know but Lancetti Via Condotti came to my mind...

Meaning : "betrayed", just quoting an original source with the original spelling!

Eureka! It's Coriolan!

Magnifiscent is a winner!

Yes, it is. Please do not make it look so easy, will you? ;D Well, seriously, I am just beginning to discover the beauty of the fragrances marketed for men and enjoy researching their notes and stories behind their names too!

Coriolan... I love this discontinued Guerlain on Mr.Timberwolf! Perfect autumn scent exuding self-confidence, if you ask me.

Beethoven's Overture take on the story is superb. And the "betray'd" quote comes from almost the end of Shakespeare's Coriolanus where his enraged brother in arms kills Caius Martius Coriolan(us), but we all know it is just politics:

"He has betray'd your business, and given up,
    For certain drops of salt, your city Rome..."

Thanks for your attention and please stay tuned for the next question!

Default Re: SAME NAME GAME Question # 3

Question # 3.

Do you believe that Minnesota skeeters would be still existing if the whole population used this fragrance and read this newspaper?

Good luck!

Maybe Echo?

Nope. Think cartoons.

Hint: The city where this newspaper is being published has the same name with one of Faberge' s discontinued fragrances.

Lavender in the fragrance is a sure mosquito repellent.

Brut?

Nope. It was a hint for Question # 3.

I knew that, I was just testing you... ;D

OK. :P I thought Brut is still being produced. :P

Better catch the game while it's young *;D

Maybe Woodhue , which has a lavender top note and is discontinued indeed?
    Or Mc Gregor ( see, I don't know the US papers...or towns .....) :-/

I guess McGregor it's right because it's a town in MN where it's published a newspaper called "The voyageur press of McGregor" where you can found comics about skeeters tales...
    And is also a Fabergé discontinued fragrance with a strong lavender note which, indeed is quite like a bugs spray! ;D

Never tried the fragrance , never knew the newspaper , but thanks for letting me know I must be right.

Guys, you never cease to amaze me... I am modifying this message because the question was a kind of tricky.

Why? It has two answers and both would be correct.

Ever got a greeting card from Minnesota with their state bird -- mosquito -- on it? They all started and became quite popular in a town of McGregor with the local paper called Voyageur Press of McGregor under "Skeeter Tales" (this loving name is hard to come by in a bi-lingual dictionary, right?). ;D

The fragrance I was aiming at is Jean Patou Voyageur, in a blue bottle with the middle notes of lavender and sage. I like it, but I like lavender to start with, and "repellent" reference was just because of the lavender oil's natural properties to keep the bugs away. My Oma always said: Geranium and Lavender is the two plants you can ever rely on to keep mosquitoes, flies and ants off.

I cannot say anything about Faberge's McGregor, and I was so glad to learn more. Thank you ever so much, Ermano, for casting some light on the subject. Now we all know! ;D

Oh well, it did not quite come out as planned, but I am a happy camper (to continue "mosquito" topic). To quote the same Grandmother: "Live and learn and die a fool!" ;D

So.... We have two winners in Question # 3: Helg and Magnifiscent. Congratulations and please stay connected and in good spirits!

Voyageur by Jean Patou

See the one above. I think you both, guys, are the champions! 8-)

Thank you if you are still reading this!

Question # 4.
    I was surprised to find out that the music group with the name well-suited for a luscious body cream has an album named like a crisp, woody oriental. By act of god?

Default Re: SAME NAME GAME Question # 4

No, not yet. Hint: Act of God. :-X

A body cream? ...mmm... Maybe Pearl Jam ;D
    A crisp, woody oriental? Ten, isn't it?

Now we need a help of a corporate lawyer: when contracts are made the phrase "Act of God" often comes together with the name of the fragrance in question.

The the whole citrus-y name of the music group does sound like a proper name for a body lotion or a candle. 8-)

Another hint: the designer house where this fragrance comes from has not released any perfumes for the ladies. Yet. : And probably will not.

Now we need a help of a corporate lawyer: *when contracts are made the phrase "Act of God" often comes together with the name of the fragrance in question. *

The the whole citrus-y name of the music group does sound like a proper name for a body lotion or a candle. *8-)
    Force Majeure by Bogart?

A feather in your hat, Buzzcut! Congratulations! You know, I was trying this and that, and you are the only one who got it! Thank you. Tell me, which hint helped you most?

Force Majeure is an understated fragrance with aldehyde and ozone notes on the opening, but a nice woody drydown. Nothing "in your face", unlike One Man Show, nothing super-duper new in its composition, and certainly a good example of a collision between the name and the contents. Some say it is boring, I would say it is reliable. ;D Michael Edwards puts Force Majeure in the same row with A*Men, Lolita Lempicka au Masculine and Rochas Man. How about that!

No perfumes for ladies from them, though. Well, to be totally true, Jacques Bogart Company is the manufacturer and distributor of Bogart, Ted Lapidus, Facconable, Jeanne Piaubert and Stendhal brands, so ladies still can have some fun!)

Force Majeure is also the name of the album by Tangerine Dream, therefore the reference to the body lotion. Seriously, Tangerine Dream's name does sound like a smoothie or a lotion or a candle, don't you think? They are, for sure, the oldest (since 1970) world's synth band, and still kicking a$$ -- this coming Friday they will have a huuuuuuuuge concert in Essen. I applaud their creativity and longevity and I have no idea what scents they are into...

Thanks for your interest and please stay tuned for Question # 5.

Thank you if you are still not bored to death! Good names in fragrances are not that easy to come by, I know, and personally I do not like the names like Givenchy Very Irresistible and Givenchy Very Irresistible for Men :-/ If you noticed, I am choosing very distinct names in their own rights. And they are becoming harder to choose from! A lot of fragrances, I guess, use geographic places, historical figures or mythological characters in their names. Some list their notes too. And others, like Force Majeure, are just out of the blue.

OK Here goes another...

Question # 5.
    The designer, born into the family with the name that does not sound particlularly good to an English speaker, has nothing to do with this fragrance, but it sure gets him around!

Good luck on this one and hope you are in good spirits!

Default Re: SAME NAME GAME Question # 5

does not sound particlularly good to an English speaker
    Not an english name...
    but it sure gets him around!
    Ummm...

Is it Dior Higher?

[quote=Magnifiscent]
    does not sound particlularly good to an English speaker
    Not an english name...

To me there was nothing wrong with his fine Jewish last name.

nothing wrong with his fine Jewish last name
    Me too! It's Jean-Louis Scherrer Immense PH, isn't it?

Question # 5.
    The designer, born into the family with the name that does not sound particlularly good to an English speaker, has nothing to do with this fragrance, but it sure gets him around!

Good luck on this one and hope you are in good spirits!

Doesn't sound good as a *name* .... hmmm ... Cumming??

A feather in your hat, Buzzcut! *Congratulations! *You know, I was trying this and that, and you are the only one who got it! *Thank you. *Tell me, which hint helped you most? *

Force Majeure is an understated fragrance with aldehyde and ozone notes on the opening, but a nice woody drydown. *Nothing "in your face", unlike One Man Show, nothing super-duper new in its composition, and certainly a good example of a collision between the name and the contents. *Some say it is boring, I would say it is reliable. *;D *Michael Edwards puts Force Majeure in the same row with A*Men, Lolita Lempicka au Masculine and Rochas Man. *How about that! * *

The "act of God" clue gave it away.

No, not yet. The thing is that he changed it, and the world knows him under a different name.

Hint about the fragrance: It does NOT come from this designer! It is not in the BN Directory either, although it was mentioned in Name This Bottle contest and one thread a few months ago.

No, not yet. *The thing is that he changed it, and the world knows him under a different name. *

Hint about the fragrance: *It does NOT come from this designer! *It is not in the BN Directory either, although it was mentioned in Name This Bottle contest and one thread a few months ago.
    There were two references. One being Serendipitous and one being So by Carrement Belle.

Nope. Another hint: this question has to do with the transportation. 8-) (And I realize that it is more of a puzzle than the hint)

Glad that you remember the fragrances from that other game, you are on the right track!

Good luck!

Nope. *Another hint: *this question has to do with the transportation. *8-) *(And I realize that it is more of a puzzle than the hint) *

Transportation? Detaille Aeroplane? Detaille Yachting?

Caron's En Avion? *Ernst Daltroff, right? *Changed his name to that but I can't remember what it was before. *

Another option could be Ralph Lauren, who also changed his name. *I don't remember a Lauren transportation named scent though.

I think Caron's En Avion has to be it.
    --Chris

Edit: No, that can't be right if the designer had nothing to do with the fragrance. Never mind. I wasn't reading the clues close enough.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Well, we are almost there, guys.

The designer indeed is Ralph Lifshitz, known to the world as Ralph Lauren, he did not want the word formed by the letters 4,5,6 and 7 to be anywhere associated with his fine designs. ;D

As for the fragrance, it was released in 1985 in association with Revlon, and it does "get Mr. Lauren around", as based on Michael Gross' book Genuine Authentic: The Real Life of Ralph Lauren. We are still searching for this fragrance.

Crazy question! I get it! Blake Carrington by CotR was released in 1985; Ralph Lauren's chauffeur's name is Carrington.

The game is becoming really hard... I guess Ralph Lauren and Blake Carrington are right... Hat off my dears!

Safari???? (going around makes me think of this )
    Or maybe Ajee by Revlon ? (but I fail to see the cnnection with RL?)

Hats off to Scentophile! Carrington is the answer.

Mr. Lauren's personal vehicle is $ 210,000 worth all black Bentley with 18'' wheels, with a nice man named Carrington chauffeuring him around (the book can be bought or viewed at Amazon).

Carrington, the fragrance, is the one falling into the category that everybody saw on perfume bay and a very few tried, and I am not one of these few!

Thank you for your interest and please stay tuned for Question # 6. It will be easier.

Default Re: SAME NAME GAME Question # 6

Question # 6.

In part 1 of the book this fictional character is counting his money and deciding what meals to get and what meals to skip. Not like he is going to save for this marvellous cool weather fragrance with the same name!

Good luck.

Maybe the romantic hero Edmond Dantès by the pen of A. Dumas and Montecristo by S&C Parfums

My thought went imediatley to two fictional caracters, but I can´t find any matching fragrances for them *> :
    The main caracter in Paul Austers Moon Palace is called Fogg...not a likely name for a perfume, even though it does have to do with cool weather in a way....

The other one is Murphy by S. Beckett....maybe even more inapropriate as it invokes the smell of ale.
    sigh.....

Come on folks, this is an easy one!

A book is about a rural dude making it big in a city. While counting the money in Chapter 1 called Poverty, he was still a railway clerk, but not for long!

The fragrance is a modern classic. The bottle design has changed over the years, but it still has the same juice -- leathery chypre.

Bel Ami ????

Yes. By Guy de Maupassant and Hermes.

Thank you!

Default Re: SAME NAME GAME Question # 7

Question # 7.

Do you believe that luxury loving populi from this ancient Oblomovka would wear this woody amber fragrance?

Good luck!

What is an Oblomovka anyway?

Has it somthing to in common with Mr. Oblomov?

Good questions. Oblomovka has a connection with Mr.Oblomov. It is a village and people that his family owned, in the 19th century Goncharov's novel Oblomov. It is also a web blog by a journalist who admittedly sleeps until noon. Technically speaking, it is a term used to describe a place where nothing is going on, the highest degree of boredom, where people are ruining themselves by doing nothing etc.

The Oblomovka I am mentioning in this question was existing long before this, in the years BC. It was a town whose luxuries were proverbial, and "populi" who slept till mid-day is the clue to direct us to the exact location on the map. I hope... Magnifiscent, remember I promised a question for you with Helg in mind? This is the one. Again, I hope...

It is also one of the fragrances with geographical names. Nobody ever mentions it here on BN, although it is very distinct and has its audience, I am sure. Late 80-s, with the harsh amber and dry herbs.

Anyone?