Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: SAME NAME GAME Question # 7

Sybaris (Italy?) - Antonio Puig. Sybaris: where inhabitants lived sybaritic lives.

Default Re: SAME NAME GAME Question # 7

Drum roll, please. Scentophile is the winner.

The answer is Sybaris. A part of world history that I fail to understand. A piece of fragrance history with the questionable authorship: who was the nose behind it, Alberto Morillas, Sebastian Gomez or Rosendo Mateu anyway (here I meant to insert an emoticon scratching his head)?

Oblomovs and Paris Hiltons of the day populated this little town with the Greek name and the Greek currency on the south of Italy, where the world's first anti-noise legislation outlawed roosters as they were interfering with the sleeping habits of the Sybarites! ;D Excessive devotion to luxury --hedonists and epicureans and, I imagine, perfume wearers and other pleasure-seekers -- is what ruined Sybaris, they say.

And every now and then I also wonder why this spicy-woody-ambery fragrance is referred to as "mustard gas". (Well, I know it can get abrasive and rough, though).

Thank you, everybody and please stay tuned for the next question and in good spirits.

Default Re: SAME NAME GAME Question # 8

With Timberwolf's permission, I have the honor of asking #8. It is quite simple.

What is this nice oriental whose name also means "oriental"?
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Quote Originally Posted by phantagarow
    With Timberwolf's permission, I have the honor of asking #8. It is quite simple.

Issey Miyake? with a connection to "Issei" that is referring to the Japanese Americans who arrived in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by scentophile
    [quote author=phantagarow link=1128994661/60#62 date=1129501438]With Timberwolf's permission, I have the honor of asking #8. It is quite simple.

Issey Miyake? with a connection to "Issei" that is referring to the Japanese Americans who arrived in the US. [/quote]

Nope! Oriental in the sense that, for example, M7 is oriental; referring to the olfactory family.

Jaipur?

Maybe Ho Hang?

Nope! Jaipur is a city name and I don't know what Ho Hang is.

Come on! It is very easy.
    Hint: Think french.

Come on! It is very easy.
    Sud Est - Romeo Gigli

[quote author=phantagarow link=1128994661/60#68 date=1129576474]Come on! It is very easy.
    Sud Est - Romeo Gigli[/quote]

Sud Est is not oriental, is it?
    The name of the fragrance means "oriental" in french and the fragrance itself is oriental. BTW, it is universally adored here in BN.

[quote author=scentophile link=1128994661/60#69 date=1129576828][quote author=phantagarow link=1128994661/60#68 date=1129576474]Come on! It is very easy.
    Sud Est - Romeo Gigli[/quote]

Sud Est is not oriental, is it?
    The name of the fragrance means "oriental" in french and the fragrance itself is oriental. BTW, it is universally adored here in BN. [/quote]

I'm an American college student who is taking beginner's french =/. Sorry for the many guesses!

Opium? I would even venture to guess Brut, which means unrefined/crude <=> "oriental"?

Isn't it time for another clue? Perhaps, an indirect reference to a designer/nose behind it?

Here is my final clue. It is from SL line.

Chene?

Nope! Chene means oak. >

Ahh... thank you for your patience phantagarow... but I think it's Arabie!

OK. Here it goes. The answer is "Chergui".
    I believe it is unanimously agreed (at least in BN) that it is one heck of an oriental.
    "Chergui" means "Oriental" which is imported to French from Arabic (sharqee).

I realize that I suck at asking riddles,therefore I stop...

Hi all,

Wow, who knew? : I did not, that is for sure. So, it is "sher-'ghi" then, right?

I think the winner in this Question is............ Phantagrow. What would you say, guys? I also would say the winners are Magnifiscent and Scentophile, for trying so hard. So, we have three champions in this question and an overall tie between Magnifiscent and Scentophile with their triple wins, how about that? 8-) And it is anybody's chance yet.

Thank you and please stay connected for Question # 9 and in good spirits.

YSL Opium Fraicheur d'Orient?
    SL Bois Oriental or Vetiver Oriental!
    Montale Orient Extreme?

Excuse me for the late post(sometimes fingers are faster than my mind)! But I'd like to stress that Chergui is from arabic (not from french) and , indeed, yes, it means orient, but is the name given to a warm and moist wind coming fron east!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    Excuse me for the late post(sometimes fingers are faster than my mind)! But I'd like to stress that Chergui is from arabic (not from french) and , indeed, yes, it means orient, but is the name given to a warm and moist wind coming fron east!
    Arg . I spent so much time going through that French dictionary looking up everything related to the Orient. Thus, I really thought Sud Est would be the scent (South East hmm?).

[quote author=Magnifiscent link=1128994661/75#80 date=1129620691]Excuse me for the late post(sometimes fingers are faster than my mind)! But I'd like to stress that Chergui is from arabic (not from french) and , indeed, yes, it means orient, but is the name given to a warm and moist wind coming fron east!
    Arg . I spent so much time going through that French dictionary looking up everything related to the Orient. Thus, I really thought Sud Est would be the scent (South East hmm?). [/quote]

Yes, scentophile, you're right! Sud Est means South East but it's italian (being a Romeo Gigli scent) and not french (even if in french is written the same and has the same meaning)!

Sorry to butt in and I assure you my motive is benevolent.
    Chergui is indeed a hot desert wind , but to my knowledge it doesn't mean "orient" per se , it means "hot desert wind" which blows in Morocco and coming from the Sahara , it comes from the south and not the east actually......

Info from the official source here :

http://www.salons-shiseido.com/angla...es/index1.html

OK, I hear you, folks. In this situation I think that we will not have a winner in Question # 8. It was an interesting reading though, and very educational.

Here we go....

Question # 9.

Some lions take pride in their claws, and other lions -- in fingernails and newest releases with a fabulous sillage!

Good luck to all.

Oops! In my mind, the arabic meaning overwhelmed the french one for some reason. Again I suck at asking riddles.
    A minor correction: It is dry and hot rather than being warm and moist.

Default Re: SAME NAME GAME Question # 9

Sorry about that. No fights in this thread, please. ;D Let it be water under the bridge. It's tomorrow now. ;D Please also pm me if you feel that it is unfair that we do not have a champion in Q#8. 8-)

Please get busy and start working on Question # 9. And we are also having ## 10 and 11 waiting ahead.

We are cool, aren't we? 8-)

Grrr!!! ;D Is it Lalique Lion PH, isn't it? :

Clue: think about those born July 21 to August 22.

Newest release? :-/
    I assume you're referring to Leo... :-?
    So, we're talking about start... :
    Maybe it's True Star men...

Newest release? :-/
    Ops! I typed start instead of stars!

[quote author=Magnifiscent link=1128994661/75#89 date=1129662081]Newest release? :-/
    Ops! I typed start instead of stars![/quote]

It doesn't have great sillage though (YMMV I guess)!

Ahh! I have two midterms today, so I'm on for a sec. Timberwolf slow down with your hints please O:-P. I'll be back in 8 hours to take a stab at this.

Done deal! Nobody has guessed it correctly yet, more clues tomorrow, OK?

Well, it seems to be involved with the sign Leo somehow...

A Lion taking stars in his claws.... Ummm... It's a Starwalker(Mont Blanc), isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf
    Done deal! Nobody has guessed it correctly yet, more clues tomorrow, OK?
    Thanks! I just got back, and after a quick basenote search... I think I got it!

Onyx is the birthstone of Leo. Thus it would be Azzaro Onyx.

According to the mythology, Cupid cut the fingernails of Venus; the clippings became stone (Onyx) => The Greek word for onux is fingernail.

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1128973382 -> people stated that it's one sillage machine .

It's funny because there's a post about someone's review of his testing of Carlos Santana and Azzaro Onyx, and Carlos Santana is a Leo.

You got it now, Scentophile! Thank you for the detailed description too. While I was keeping my fingers crossed for your mid-term test, you were one busy little beaver! Congratulations!

The answer is Onyx. One of the most versatile semi-precious stones, with colors varying from milky white to pitch black. Legend says that the naughty boy Cupid/Eros cut off the fingernails of the beautiful goddess with his arrowhead while she was asleep and, not to waste any part of the divine body, they were turned into onyxes. The name "onyx" in Greek means "fingernail" and indeed it is one of the birthstones for Leos. That same mineral, onyx, has a Sanscrit name too, and you know what it is? It is "gem"!

Onyx, the fragrance, also known as Silver Black with a big shiny letter "A" on the front of the bottle, was launched in 2005 and Francoise Caron is the nose behind it. (My next clue, had nobody guessed it by now, would have been that the nose behind it has the same last name as the company with over a hundred years of perfume history and selling some of them out of the fountain flacons).

Thanks, everybody and please stay tuned for Question # 10.

Question # 10.

Where would a journey lead a vegetarian, an astrologer, an architect and a perfume designer? To the only sacred tree ever marked on a map!

Good luck and have a good hump day!

Default Re: SAME NAME GAME Question # 10

Bois de Paradis by Delrae? [smiley=undecided.gif] I'm too stupid for these questions, but I enjoy them a lot.

Bois du Portugal ???? :-/

Bois de Cedrat?

Maybe the jurney would probably lead all to the Jungle (by Kenzo) which is rich in Atlas cedar. In fact Atlas could be
    • Nava Atlas - a great vegetarian chef
    • Atlas of constellations
    • Arthur Atlas, Architect
    • Atlas Cedar, an essence very used in perfumery

Have I guessed correctly?

the journey would lead to india and the tree would be a type of fig tree...

AZTEC

Diptyque's Philosykos?
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Sagamore?? :-/

No, not yet.

Matter of fact, it is an Acacia type of tree. Magnifiscent is the closest in destination so far, but not quite.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    I'm too stupid for these questions, but I enjoy them a lot.
    Nobody is too stupid. And particularly, not you, because you dig DZING! ;D

They are difficult questions, and in some cases very subjective too. Almost impossible to Google. My vivid imagination, if I may.... ;D But, generally speaking, a hint here and a clue there should be of help.... I hope.

Another hint: it is a floral-fruity scent with the distinct woody-spicy drydown. Not new.

SMN Gaggia, a beautiful variety of Acacia?

Nope.

Quercus?

Mahogany?

Garrigue?

Clue: all four of them -- a vegetarian, an architect, an astrologer and a perfume designer -- are one and the same person.

Also think Yamaha "Europe only".

PR Teneré?

Thank you for your interest!

Ave Magnifiscent! Odoriferi te salutant! ;D

The answer is Tenere.

A vegetarian, an architect, a metaphysical philosopher, an author of the page-turner Journey (From One Life To Another), a weirdo and a huge talent whose designs are the iconic imagery of the space-age! It is all Paco Rabanne. Tenere was created in 1988 by the nose of Pierre Wargnye and has a lot of olfactory notes in it -- on top of the famous metallic Paco Rabanne note: lemon, mandarin, osmanthus, hyacinth, verbena, lavender, thyme, anise, myrtle, artemisia, cinnamon, cardamom, basil, pimento, rose, iris, neroli, sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli, musk. But they do not make this fragrance "too busy", they make it deliciously floriental instead!

I am not sure if the world will see more fragrances from Paco Rabanne, as the house was bought out by the Spanish tycoon of Puig in the year 2000, and now it just has the name but not the same master-mind behind its creations.

Tenere is also a desert within the desert in Africa, where the sacred acacia-type tree was miraculously growing for many many years before it was vandalized and eventually died. It is also the name of a bike Yamaha created for the Dakkar rally.

Thanks again to everybody for reading and participating. Please stay connected for Question # 11, an easy one, and in good spirits! That's what Paco would love us to do anyway! ;D

Ave Magnifiscent! Odoriferi te salutant! ;D
    Ave tibi, Timberwolf!

It was very hard to guess this gem from "Le métallurgique" (as Madamoiselle Coco appointed him) Paco Rabanne, but was also very engaging!

Please stay connected for Question # 11, an easy one, and in good spirits! That's what Paco would love us to do anyway! ;D
    Ne timeas! ;D ;D ;D

[/quote]

It is about over....

Question # 11.

Happy Birthday, father! I'll drink to you and wear this scent. I know you would like it.

Good luck to all!

It is about over....

Question # 11.

Happy Birthday, father! I'll drink to you and wear this scent. I know you would like it.

Good luck to all!
    Aqua Di Gio? My head is hurting on this time. And my fingers too as I scour through basenotes with all the possibilities. I await the next clue.

Default Re: SAME NAME GAME Question # 11

Some rum would be the suited drink to celebrate this day... So maybe Bay Rum would be the right scent.