Code of Conduct

Default Whats the deal with Drakkar Noir?

I purchased Drakkar Noir because of recommendation by fellow basenoters, and that it is rare here in England. When I first tested it, I thought it was just a ok cologne and nothing special and did not see the hype, but for few days I decided to wear it and my was a surprised I had people keep telling me how nice I smelt and they wanted to know what it was, never had so much reaction to a cologne and it beat GiT I still think it is a simple smelling cologne but it has some sort of magic spell or something :-?
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Yvan

Default Re: Whats the deal with Drakkar Noir?

It does smell great, and no doubt about it, it is a classic! *I might wear it a little now if I didn't wear it so much in the 80s. *I think there are some guys here who swear by it. *And the name...Drakkar Noir...it was probably one of the original blacks, as opposed to the new wave of black fragrances.

Here's one pyramid for it:

Top notes: Artemesia, Bergamot oil, Green Note, Lemon, Rosemary
    Heart notes: Basil oil, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Fern, Jasmine, Pine Needle
    Base notes: Amber, Cedarwood oil, Leather, Moss, Patchouli, Sandal

To analyze it, I think the notes that stand out most to me in combining to make the "Drakkar Noir scent" are the wood, moss, patchouli, jasmine, and a bit of the pine needle and herbal notes. *I guess the cinnamon and the jasmine sweeten it a little. *And the fern helps too!

Post Thanks / Like

Its one of those scents that completely passed me by. In the 80s it was just so commonplace, I tended to ignor it. Then when I joined BN and noticed a keen interest in it, I thought 'I must try it!'. But there it was gone - hardly a trace in the UK :-?. I finally tried it at the airport recently and agree with these comments. It's on my shortlist.

Trot

Quote Originally Posted by Incedal
    I purchased Drakkar Noir because of recommendation by fellow basenoters, and that it is rare here in England. *When I first tested it, I thought it was just a ok cologne and nothing special and did not see the hype, but for few days I decided to wear it and my was a surprised I had people keep telling me how nice I smelt and they wanted to know what it was, never had so much reaction to a cologne and it beat GiT I still think it is a simple smelling cologne but it has some sort of magic spell or something :-?
    Drakkar Noir was my first fragrance purchase & one never forgets one's first love, my credit card might soon be doing the talking...
    Let your nose be your pilot

I feel like Drakkar Noir is underrated. I wore it to prom and alot of other people on here probably did too. If people are going to go back and revisit Polo, Cool Water, Kouros and other popular scents from that era, they should give Drakkar its due as well. Its a great scent that is sadly a bit out of phase with current trends. Check it out anyway.
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Just picked up an ASB and EDT set....
    DAMN...I'm 31 yrs old and have never owned this one....I was always a JOOP
    and Cool Water guy in those days.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the EDT is great. But the Drakkar aftershave splash is very weak, and aftershave balm is ultra weak.
    Renato

I think it smells great and the only reason I don't wear it is that everyone here has smelled it 100 times on other people already. If you aren't in that situation it's a great scent.

TO ME IT HAS ALWAYS SMELLED LIKE A BOTTLED VERSION OF THE ORIGINAL Coast deodarant soap.

If you walk into a bathroom after someone has showered and used Coast the similarity to the fragrance Drakkar are
    uncanny.

I guess people will always enjoy the smell of showery freshness on others ;D

I suppose it's also possible that at some level the scent is reminiscent of the past and inspires feelings of nostalgia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trotsky
    Its one of those scents that completely passed me by. *In the 80s it was just so commonplace, I tended to ignore it. *
    You're not kidding! I went to college in San Diego (La Jolla, actually) from 1980-89, and Drakkar Noir was amazingly popular during that time. I avoided it for that reason, actually coming to dislike it, and wore Jacomo de Jacomo instead, which had a very minority following at the time. Even today, I prefer Jacomo to Drakkar Noir, but there is no denying that it (Drakkar) has become a classic.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by smellitnow
    TO ME IT HAS ALWAYS SMELLED LIKE A BOTTLED VERSION OF THE ORIGINAL Coast deodarant soap.

If you walk into a bathroom after someone has showered and used Coast the similarity to the fragrance Drakkar are
    uncanny.

I guess people will always enjoy the smell of showery freshness on others *;D
    Well put! That's exactly what it is!! Coast Soap scent!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

I wore Drakkar Noir for a year stright in 1989, I guess. Living in it it became great stuff to me and I've always liked it. I've thought it became so popular that people mock it, though. When I mention my fragrance collection to friends and anyone who's interested they all seem to have some snarky comment about once trying or having Drakkar Noir. Or, because of its popularity they comment that my collection is interesting because at least it isn't just that Drakkar Noir. I then mention to them that I came across a study once that said 50 percent of American men had at some time worn Drakkar Noir, and urged them to thing of the milestone of that fact--think of the bredth and power of a scent that it pleased so many. Ubiquitous, yes, but almost such a big deal that it becomes a zeitgeist scent.

I think it gets panned like we pan Acqua di Gio, or the ubiquitous Le Male. But I know I smile when I smell it and think of happy times.

Two other scents very close to it are Houbigant's Duc de Vervins and Carthousia Uomo.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H.
    [quote author=Trotsky link=1129882692/0#2 date=1129884458]I went to college in San Diego (La Jolla, actually) from 1980-89, Jeff
    Hmmm...San Diego, college for 9 years. Why am I not surprised

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    ... I then mention to them that I came across a study once that said 50 percent of American men had at some time worn Drakkar Noir, and urged them to thing of the milestone of that fact--think of the bredth and power of a scent that it pleased so many. *Ubiquitous, yes, but almost such a big deal that it becomes a zeitgeist scent.

I think it gets panned like we pan Acqua di Gio, or the ubiquitous Le Male. *But I know I smile when I smell it and think of happy times... *
    This is one of my all-time top faves but I don't wear it anymore only because everyone (and I mean *everyone*) can instantly (and I mean *instantly* ) identify it. Other scents like Eau Sauvage, the original Polo, Kouros, Grey Flannel, Eternity, and, more recently Le Male and Acqua de Gio, are also ubiquitious but I don't think any one of them approaches the ubiquity (is that a real word?) of Drakkar Noir.

I suspect it may be a North American phenomenon. European friends of mine love it and don't think it's ubiquitous at all. I am beginning to believe that the European equivalent is One Man Show. (In other words, North Americans might actually like OMS because it's *not* ubiquitous but Europeans have the same reaction we in the US would have to Drakkar Noir.) Any anecdotal evidence out there to support (or refute) this theory??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzcut
    I am beginning to believe that the European equivalent is One Man Show. *(In other words, North Americans might actually like OMS because it's *not* ubiquitous but Europeans have the same reaction we in the US would have to Drakkar Noir.) *Any anecdotal evidence out there to support (or refute) this theory??

Buzzcut, no anecdotal evidence here, but this observation is perfect.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Yvan

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzcut
    but I don't think any one of them approaches the ubiquity (is that a real word?) of Drakkar Noir.
    yes, ubiquity...and some guys won't wear it because of its antiquity, even though it was good for attracting a chickuity.