Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Default Looking for something pleasant...

    Hey guys, I'm having trouble finding that perfect fragrance (don't we all.)

    Of course, nothing's better than trying something out first hand, but I've tried every retailer short of going down to the city for the niche fragrances, so I'm hoping to get some suggestions before I go from my fellow BNers.

    The type of scent that I'm looking for has to deviate from the mass market fragrances, so I don't want something overly synthetic. What I want is something a little light and natural. Something incredibly pleasant. I don't want anything strong, powerful or heavy. I'm not getting a fragrance like this for compliments, but I want something that would appeal to anybody. So in other words, nothing that I would have to wear only inside my living space. I want something I can just wear anytime, and possibly become a signature scent. I just want something that deviates from the usual world of colognes, something that'll just smell good.

    Yeah, I think that's it. I just want to smell good and thoughtfully pleasant. Almost natural, nothing stereotypical cologney or perfumey about it.

    I don't know if this is enough to fully describe what I want, but it's the best that I can come up with. It's really hard to describe a scent that you never smelled. ;D

    Anybody have an idea?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    How about Mugler Cologne?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    I see you have two Creeds in your wardrobe. Did you like them? Their Millesime Imperial matches your description pretty well - light (almost to a fault; it doesn't last very long) and yes, incredibly pleasant.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    Here are a few that you may want to try out next time you're at Macy's/Sephora...

    Gendarme
    Azzaro Chrome
    Kenneth Cole Reaction
    Kenneth Cole Black

    I'll post again if anymore come to mind.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    Quote Originally Posted by Esan Sal
    I see you have two Creeds in your wardrobe. Did you like them? Their Millesime Imperial matches your description pretty well - light (almost to a fault; it doesn't last very long) and yes, incredibly pleasant.
    You know something, you're right!

    I guess I'm asking for seconds. Truth is, I'm looking to get something possibly more natural. It's really hard to describe I guess. I heard CdG Calamus could work, but I'm unfamiliar with the scent. I already have a couple of CdG samples coming. Could the Incense series also be what I'm looking for?

    Xen- I've tried Mugler, but I think it may be too soapy or pine fresh. I couldn't help but think of Zest when I sprayed it. But thanks for the suggestion!

    Teflondog- I tried Chrome, and it smells fine, but it's not really what I'm thinking about. I've tried Black and Reaction, and while I think Reaction is a bit too fruity I did find Black to be really comfortable. I have to go back and try. And how's Gendarme like?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    Have you tried Bulgari PH? It's very natural smelling, and doesnt smell like much else out there...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    Quote Originally Posted by RTbar
    Have you tried Bulgari PH? It's very natural smelling, and doesnt smell like much else out there...
    I wanted to recommend that but it's too popular!

    How about Lanvin L'Homme and Lanvin Vetyver? Usually something that's pleasant and natural is soapy and fresh!

    I guess you're looking for comforting scents. Then I would suggest Eau de Parfumee Au the Blanc by Bvlgari

  8. #8

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    I think you're describing New York by Patricia de Nicolai. It smells beautiful, it isn't common, and I think it works anytime, any weather.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    Signorrici might do it. It is never 'in your face' but it kind of wraps around you in a good way. It is light, yet long-ish lasting, it is classic, yet up-to-date. It certainly is pleasant!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    Quote Originally Posted by chris21
    Hey guys, I'm having trouble finding that perfect fragrance (don't we all.)

    Of course, nothing's better than trying something out first hand, but I've tried every retailer short of going down to the city for the niche fragrances, so I'm hoping to get some suggestions before I go from my fellow BNers. *

    The type of scent that I'm looking for has to deviate from the mass market fragrances, so I don't want something overly synthetic. What I want is something a little light and natural. Something incredibly pleasant. I don't want anything strong, powerful or heavy. I'm not getting a fragrance like this for compliments, but I want something that would appeal to anybody. So in other words, nothing that I would have to wear only inside my living space. I want something I can just wear anytime, and possibly become a signature scent. I just want something that deviates from the usual world of colognes, something that'll just smell good.

    Yeah, I think that's it. I just want to smell good and thoughtfully pleasant. Almost natural, nothing stereotypical cologney or perfumey about it.

    I don't know if this is enough to fully describe what I want, but it's the best that I can come up with. It's really hard to describe a scent that you never smelled. *;D

    Anybody have an idea?
    It is a herculean task to find a fragrance that would appeal to anyone, Mugler would have been my choice, but you've already discounted it, maybe Gendarme or Green Irish Tweed would be alternatives?

    In order to find a signature scent, I would suggest that you to make a compromise on the global front appeal , I think it would make perfect sense to select a fragrance for yourself & if it appeals on the global front, then so be it.

    On this basis my suggestions would be:

    Guerlain's Heritage, Mark Birley, Acqua di parma & Eau de Hadrien by Annick Goutal

    Good luck!
    Let your nose be your pilot

  11. #11

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    The one which sprang to mind was Silver Mountain Water - but you've got it already!

    I see you like Pi - I would recomment D&G By Man and Boucheron Jaipur in that case.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    Pleasant, light bút good lasting power: l'Eau de l'Artisan by l'Artisan Parfumeur!

  13. #13
    GnuGnuAntiloop
    Guest

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    IMHO Paratus would fit the bill! Also second Mark Birley...

    -Tero-

  14. #14

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    Yes, Calamus is very nice. I thought it might be a bit odd, but even my brother who is my roommate loves to wear it. It's really green, but in different way. It reminds me of the smell of a cereal aisle at a mom and pop grocery store. Not like any one type of cereal, but just the whole aisle in general.

    Also the Incense series is great! I wore Avignon out tonight and I'm hooked on it. It's truly king of the series.

    But for the "pleasant" scent you're looking for, you should try Comme des Garcons Odeur 53. Yes, technically its synthetic, but it really has a very natural feel to it. It isn't cologney at all, and its something you could wear every day. Don't be intimidated by the weird sounding notes; its like a second skin. It took me a couple of wearings of it, before I got past the thought of the "flaming rocks, ultimate fusion, minerals, high mountain air, cellulose, metal, sand dunes etc., but it's one of the most natural smelling things I've ever worn and people like it. When the history of perfumery is written, Odeur 53 will get a huge mention. Novel stuff.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    Just the other day I mentioned here Decleor l'Original as a very nice green, easy and relaxing scent. CoL assured that it is and compared it to Creed Millesime Imperial, which was mentioned in this topic by someone else.
    That is it seems to me that you could have a rather inexpensive, very good sent if you buy Decleor.

    Sandy

  16. #16

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    aperkul, you took the words right out of my mouth:

    l'Eau de l'Artisan by l'Artisan Parfumeur!

    fresh, complex, uncommon..................

  17. #17

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...


    After reviewing your wardrobe, and of the fragrances that i have personally tested, worn, or frantically washed off, I believe Dune fits your requirements to a T.

    Thank you and good-day


  18. #18

    wicozani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Beautiful Black Hills!
    Posts
    2,484

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    This has been a really interesting discussion, and you've received some great suggestions. My context for considering your request is that the ideal scent should be capable of being worn year-round, in both hot and cold weather. In this case, I would second the excellent recommendations for Lanvin L'Homme, Signoricci, Mark Birley, and Bulgari PH (though this is duplicitous with Lanvin L'Homme, and I prefer the Lanvin). PdN New York is indeed exceptional, but in my experience is more well-suited for cooler weather.

    To these excellent suggestions, I would add Laguna Homme (Dali), Loewe Pour Homme, AdP Colonia Assoluta, and Chanel Pour Monsier Concentree.

    Have fun trying out some new scents, and do share with us your decision and why!

    Jeff

  19. #19

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    Thank you guys for all the suggestions!

    Rest assured I'll look into all of them and hopefully find something that I like. I will post my comments when I try them firsthand, thanks! 8-)

  20. #20

    Default Re: Looking for something pleasant...

    My two cents: Miracle L'Aquatonic pour homme and Calvin Klein Truth for men are two of the most natural, feel-good, wear anytime scents that I own

Similar Threads

  1. David Beckham Instinct...a pleasant surprise
    By ChuckW in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10th February 2013, 09:14 AM
  2. A Pleasant Suprise: L'Occitan Eau de Toilette
    By Kevin Guyer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 6th December 2008, 10:13 PM
  3. A Pleasant Farewell
    By nearfantastica in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 20th September 2006, 12:39 PM
  4. Pleasant, Inoffensive, Wear Everywhere Fragrances
    By flathorn in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16th August 2006, 04:42 PM
  5. Canali - A Pleasant Surprise!
    By ChuckW in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30th March 2006, 06:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •