Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance change with distance?

I just recently became interested in fragrances, so this is all very new to me. What I'm doing now is trying out different samples, some of which I got free. *Tonight I tried Kenneth Cole, New York for Men. *The scent struck me as ho hum. Nothing special here. But not offensive.

Anyway, I was working at my computer for awhile and I noticed the fragrance drifting up from my wrist was having a very warming and comforting influence on me. Not that the scent had changed. But the effect was amazing. So I put my nose to my wrist to check it out more. *That was a mistake. It was not pleasant to be near.

Is this unusual. That a fragrance might have a nice effect as it drifts, but not be good for nuzzling. And is there anything to do about this. Maybe put in on lighter, but in more places?

Default Re: Fragrance change with distance?

No it's not unusual.

My experience is that Cristobal by Balenciaga isn't all that good when you smell it from your wrist, but has an amazing sillage. I'm always impressed when I smell it on some other for example.

They do change with the distance. That's what sillage is. I always find it hard to determin if I like a scent or not when I'm sniffing my wrists. Much better to let it waft.

Agreed. The fragrance is designed that way.

Generally, I find that the further you go from the 'source', the more the bottom notes recede, leaving the top notes which carry further.

This is the tough part when choosing scents inmo. Something that might smell nice right off my skin might not at all be something I'd like to wear if I ever got to feel it in the sillage around me... I've thought of this more than once and it actually irritates me quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_B.
    .....Is this unusual. That a fragrance might have a nice effect as it drifts, but not be good for nuzzling. And is there anything to do about this. Maybe put in on lighter, but in more places?
    Not so unusual! But I do not think that a lighter or heavy dose would change the character of a scent on the skin. It matters for sillage intensity though. Good colognes should smell pleasant from any distance to the body. Anything below that is not really acceptable. Ideally, they should intensify or even get better for anyones nose the closer it gets to the skin of the wearer.

In reality one must accept compromises occasionally. Fortunately, skin is not a neutral base for perfumes. Thus they often smell better on skin than on a test strip. Much on our skin depends on how we feel at a particular time. Even if you only take a couple of Asprins, you may sense something sour on your skin and clearly that influences how a good perfume is being reflected! There are many differences in individual body odor based on factors like food, health, gender and age.

This may explain some of the controversies in judgement. For example, the notion of urine close up with Boss No1, or with the famous Kouros, has spoilt these colognes for quite a few of us. Others are maybe less disturbed, because bio-chemical skin activity may prevent similar notions (I am speculating a bit, Freudian desires may play their wicked games on us also).

The ideal scent for any person is one that is in harmony with his or her individual body vapor. You find it by trying it on your skin.

p.s.: To all of those who like a scent on others but not on themselves - have you ever tried it on your suit or sweater, and does this make a difference?

'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I'll try to keep this short. It's called "separation". Notes evaporate and expand through the air at different rates. The more energetic molecules separate and travel further so you get a subtle difference. This occurs a lot in scents designed for sillage. Scents that are understated have less "evolution" in terms of distance travelled, they don't travel very far anyway, but are meant to mix with body chem.

The implication of all that is the way we should sample scents. I've seen people spray on Caron Third Man on their wrist and put it up to their nose an inche away and retch, spewing vulgarities at its vileness and head for the toilet to wash it off. Pity. If only they'd spray it on and don't bother smelling, but walk away, do some shopping, walk around, get a drink etc. By half an hour, without the need to consciously smell it, they'd suddenly realise they are being enveloped in a gentle, spicy anise, fragrant cloud. Many classics are designed this way.

Thank you all!!! This is starting to make much more sense to me.

I just bought A*Men, and that was exactly what I had trouble with, *it smells so sweet and tasty in the air, but get close, I can't bear the smell of that Tar/Patchouli note. *I swear it smells like vanilla flavored turpentine up close, at least it gets more bearable later on when the Tar combination subsides, and then it smells like burnt chocolate.

KUDOS TO Mugler for creating something so tasty and revolting at the same time!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

When I spryed Polo on my wrist, it smelled rather harsh. When I smell it from a distance,on someone else, its great. There are many variables.You are on the right track.