Code of Conduct

Thread: Chemical Burn

Default Chemical Burn

Hi everyone,

I was at a local pharmacy earlier today and as I was walking to the counter when I noticed the fragrance shelf had several of those 'knock offs' on it. I decided to spray some of the fahrenheit one imaginitavely named "Temperature". I squirted one spray from the tester onto my wrist and no more than five seconds a huge red mark appeared as did quite a strong burning sensation. It made me recall a similar experience I had about a year ago involving a scented towlette my mother had innocently given me which I wiped my face with and which resulted in a huge rash on my face and a trip to the doctor for a prescription for cortisone cream.

I guessed I'm allergic to some ingredient in these two products. Does anyone know what ingredient might be causing this reaction? Has anyone had a similar experience? Is it just cheap fragrance products that I should steer clear of or do similar things happen with genuine designer and niche fragrances?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Default Re: Chemical Burn

What was the scent of the towelette?
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Hi dcampen,

Unfortunatley, all I can remember is it was in a green and white package. Not much help I'm afraid.

I guess from now on I'll just be more careful with what I put on.

Cheers,

Jambo

IIRC, many cheap knockoffs have BUTANE in them. Yup...the same butane used when you flick your Bic.

My advice...steer clear from knockoffs.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Could also be cheap grade alcohol. Perfumers alcohol, from what I understand, isn't cheap stuff - a cheaper grade, possibly the same in the towelette doesn't agree with you. But, I guess, all things considered, as MFfan310 said it best - I'd steer clear of the cheapies :P

Thanks for the info fellas.

From now on it's quality all the way.

Cheers,